A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »how did you learn about the computer world?

Author Topic: how did you learn about the computer world? (25 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

canadianchuck

Posted: May 28, 2010 08:52 PM    Msg. 1 of 25       
I'm not very computer savvy and i was thinking as a reference how you guys learned what you know now about game design, modding, and really just computers in general?

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: May 28, 2010 09:13 PM    Msg. 2 of 25       
Well, i started messing around with a computer at like 5, just using paint. Then my mommy bought me halo when i was 11 or 12, and I started modding in like 2006 with hmt stuff like that, then I wanted to add ai and firedragon directed me to HCE. So I looked up tuts, joined the forums for help and here I am.

^^^ My life story ^^^^
Edited by Newbkilla on May 28, 2010 at 09:13 PM

Headhunter09

This is the truth.

Posted: May 28, 2010 09:15 PM    Msg. 3 of 25       
I was one day wasting time on youtube. I saw a video of somebody flying a pelican. I looked inth e comments and saw this.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: May 28, 2010 09:24 PM    Msg. 4 of 25       
Playing a stupid mmorpg game. told the guys screw you im gonna make my own game. they lol'd. i googled Custom moddeling and just for laughs i thought hey i love halo Combat Evolved on my xbox wonder if theres any mods for it.

then i saw it... Halo Custom Edition. i quickly ran to game stop which is 90 miles from my house. got halo pc. download custom Edition. and here i am now. 5 years later

Ilikdonuts101

lol wut you say?

Posted: May 28, 2010 09:51 PM    Msg. 5 of 25       
When I was 7 my brothers brang over an xbox with halo ce. I played it for ages. And then halo 2 came out, played it for ages. Then we lost the xbox and the controllers, so I looked for games. My friend gave me halo pc and I soon modded that. THen I found custom edition and made my own maps. I just made a map then with about 50 cyborg ai's and at least 150 elites, grunts and hunters. They can all drive and they have RPG's, Jackhammers and dual smg's. ANd talk about lag!!!
Well, thats my life story.
Before that, I was always outside on a bike or up a tree...
Good times...

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: May 28, 2010 10:05 PM    Msg. 6 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
Playing a stupid mmorpg game. told the guys screw you im gonna make my own game. they lol'd. i googled Custom moddeling and just for laughs i thought hey i love halo Combat Evolved on my xbox wonder if theres any mods for it.

then i saw it... Halo Custom Edition. i quickly ran to game stop which is 90 miles from my house. got halo pc. download custom Edition. and here i am now. 5 years later

You ran 90 miles?

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: May 28, 2010 10:12 PM    Msg. 7 of 25       
Long distance runners creep me out....

Geared

EPI Creator

Posted: May 28, 2010 10:43 PM    Msg. 8 of 25       
friend asked me to make him a shotgun for his ut2004 mod(it was crap, teh model i mean), then friend gave me halo pc game, was liek im bored with it maybe u can do something with it, found halo ce, started modeling like crazy, adn here i am now....

canadianchuck

Posted: May 28, 2010 11:14 PM    Msg. 9 of 25       
cool.
so would you guys say its easy to use the tools you get from this website to create or edit maps?

abkarch

Posted: May 28, 2010 11:21 PM    Msg. 10 of 25       
once you have a general idea of how it works, yea, i would say its FAIRLY easy. but at first its kinda confusing

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 29, 2010 12:54 AM    Msg. 11 of 25       
:) 1st started with a original apple, then i got myself a zx spectrum and i started learning how to make small programs on it.
Then abandoned computers for reasons i regret, then came back to them 5 yrs ago.

PistolePlex

Lurking in your forumz

Posted: May 29, 2010 03:02 AM    Msg. 12 of 25       
Maplestory, MMORPGs.
Then stuff expanded from there.

CorpseManTS

Sorry, I cant hear u with my bullet in your mouth!

Posted: May 29, 2010 03:20 AM    Msg. 13 of 25       
im also messing around on youtube when i saw the video of sgt johnson. ever since that day i liked improving bipeds with marine animations(e.g. made banshee,mongoose and wasp animations look realistic like cyborg anims) really i made the marines prone when in a banshee!!
i could post a pic...
i have a suggestion on making the cyborg biped to prone, change the crouch rifle idle to the banshee's and on the biped, dont check the flag "use player physics".

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: May 29, 2010 09:00 AM    Msg. 14 of 25       
Unless you have alot of patience and are willing to make time for it , don't bother modding or modelling.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 29, 2010 10:08 AM    Msg. 15 of 25       
One day I had stayed home from school becuase I told my mom I was sick ( However I was feeling fine, just did not want to go to school that day :S). I went with her to office depot, and I saw this game called "Halo: Combat Evolved for PC". I had the game on my xbox, and had recently gotten my own laptop. My mom paid for it, and I pretty much played that for a while and then learned about Halo CE. Didn't know anything about it, also took me three trys to download it from this site becuase of my crappy Internets back then.

Spartan_094

Posted: May 29, 2010 10:47 AM    Msg. 16 of 25       
Got bored modding Halo PC back in 06 (thou it was fun for like a year) then I found the VERY old halo 2 mod for halo custom edition (Zanzibar) and such and went like aswomez. I got Halo Custom Edition in Jan 07, didn't start modding till summer of 07, then joined halomaps after lurking for about 6 months.

Corvette19

Posted: May 29, 2010 11:05 AM    Msg. 17 of 25       
I joined Halomods back in mid 2006, modded HPC for like the rest of the year, then downloaded CE in the late part of the year. I still modded HPC till around 2008, then I just kind of quit Halo PC/Ce in general, after this place became super douche-baggy. I still do some stuff, just for my own interest.

iHalo

Modeling ::Royal Carribean's Oasis of the Seas::

Posted: May 29, 2010 11:42 AM    Msg. 18 of 25       
My uncle works for t3h Bungie!!
LOL jk, but I know David Candland, a Bungie employee and he introduced me to CE when I was visiting in Washington

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: May 29, 2010 07:48 PM    Msg. 19 of 25       
In 1971 I built a pong like video game using the 1802 microprocessor and the first CMOS chips, then I helped a friend build an Altair 8800 which we used to control lights for a band. At work I used a PDP-11 computer and designed test interfaces used to test the circuit cards for a PBX (telephone) system. The PDP-11 was as large as a commercial freezer and we had to load the programs into it with a paper tape reader. It wasn't until 1981 when the Commodore Vic20 was released and I bought an actual personal computer. I built external memory and interface devices to control relays and read sensors like temperature and light. Then I got a Commodore 64 and used it to start my first dial up bulletin board System. At work I designed and built test equipment for modems and multiplexors using a 6502 based AIM computer platform. We coded just about everything in assembly. It wasn’t until 1986 before I could finally afford to own my first IBM PC, although I had been using one at a different job since 1984 to build test equipment to test LED, LCD and plasma displays for postage machines, various power supply units for the military and other electronic equipment we manufactured. Late in 1986 I joined the FidoNet BBS system and ran a 3 line dialup BBS system until the mid 90’s when the internet became available as a Dial-up service in my area. It wasn’t until 1993 that the first real FP shooter video game – Doom - that could be played across a network was available. I played it with my other BBS friends. Then In 1998 I started UXB Internet and in 2000 put in my own data center. The rest is pretty boring, as if that wasn’t already.

As you see I have a different perspective about computer technology than most of you do because I was an adult, married and working before it was invented and most of you have never known a time without it.

abkarch

Posted: May 29, 2010 07:57 PM    Msg. 20 of 25       
woa dennis. wow.
thats alot of experience O.o

cody

I WOULD OF BEEN YOUR DADDY, BUT THE DOG BEAT ME!

Posted: May 29, 2010 10:26 PM    Msg. 21 of 25       
i got my first pc back in 05, its a 1989 compaq deskpro with DOS. i was years behind, but i found a copy of doom and played that game, and would download lots of stuff at a friends house and run it on my pc. then i got a job fixing PC's and was fixing modern pc's while still using a 20 year old pc. eventually i got enough parts to build a crappy dual cpu celeron system with 2 500 mhz cpu's. then i eventually got a crappy pentium 4 back in 08 that was crap cause it used rambus ram, had a mother board that was realy picky and would lock up alot, untill i bought a 430 watt powersuplly for it. i got halo pc back in 08, then i heard about ce on youtube. here i am now making B rated tags for yal. :P

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: May 29, 2010 11:04 PM    Msg. 22 of 25       
Well, I've always been into computers one way or another. From my first games of Chips Challenge, to Roller Coaster Tycoon, and having my parents basically shelter me from the internet through AOL, my easing into computers was slow and gradual as my parents relaxed bit by bit on how much of my life they controlled, and as computers became less prone to sucking (any time the computer crashed it was automatically my fault because playing RC tycoon or some html-based space game was obviously the root cause of bad Windows programming at the time)

As I progressed i wrote a bunch of stories, made some geocities pages, and played Halo 1 + 2. Eventually I saw mods of cool games, and thought the mods for the halo computer game I saw every time I walked into the store would be cool. Bought the game, (after playing 400 hrs of WoW, starcraft, wc3 EACH) and learned how to work torrents properly, then basically the rest is history (2005 and up) with me still having accomplished nothing that I deem significant.

Dark

Posted: May 29, 2010 11:16 PM    Msg. 23 of 25       
i wanted to know if there was anything better than the crappy mac i was using
then
i found the PC
then halo
then mods
and then 4chan
Edited by Dark on May 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM

ThetianSoldier

Keyboard not found! Press any key to continue...

Posted: May 30, 2010 02:00 AM    Msg. 24 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vern125
The first time I came across to a computer was when i was around 5 years old. It was a Windows 95. It came out roughly the same time as my 5th birthday. The mouse, cat, and cheese game; the ski game, good times.

THAT.
EFFING.
SNOWMAN.

D':

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: May 30, 2010 03:54 AM    Msg. 25 of 25       
Well, my dad had a computer, and me and my brothers played on it. We used to play arcade games on MAME, and it was great fun. And then we moved house when I was 8 because our old house was on rent, and the farmer who owned it wanted to give it to his son, and we moved to a much smaller house. And now there isn't enough room to play three player MAME, so me and my brothers are now enemies(We're all bored of being in such a rubbish house and we beat each other up). And I started playing single player games. My brother introduced me to Halo, and I loved it. I played it for 2 years, and then I finally found out about Halomaps, and now here I am, leaving leaving Halo, because Halo is so old and boring.

Although I do plan to make a few maps based off Halo in the UDK engine for personal use.
Edited by Garagorn888 on May 30, 2010 at 03:56 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 9, 2019 2:31 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website