A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Can you declare cross-map variables?

Author Topic: Can you declare cross-map variables? (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Noobyourmom

Posted: May 29, 2010 06:13 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
I'm making a campaign with decisions, so I want to be able to track the decisions across different maps. The scripted variables only apply to one map. So far the only cross-map variable I know of is difficulty, which obviously would be problematic. Does anyone know of a better way to carry decisions from one map to the next? Also, is there a way to save progress between play sessions with custom campaigns?

sierra117

If sex is good exercise, why are there fat sluts?

Posted: May 29, 2010 06:46 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
1: ive never tested this theory. But like you said, the only cross-map variable is the difficulty. Once you have completed the level, depending on the decisions you have made. Set it to each difficulty. Of course this limits the amount of choices you can have, throughout the level to 4. But once that is done; In the next level, check to see what difficulty the map is set to and depending on what difficulty it is on. Depends on how the level is started.

2: Not a clue :(

Noobyourmom

Posted: May 29, 2010 06:49 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Yeah, but it wouldn't be able to remember what difficulty the player had set it to since you would need other variables to remember. So while that would work, I hope there's a better way.
Edited by Noobyourmom on May 29, 2010 at 06:51 PM

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: May 29, 2010 09:06 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
It may be a bit less potent, but using if-then scripts can allow you to do basic stuff. For example, I made a part of a level have a camo and an overshield powerup available, but as soon as you would choose one, the other would disappear. It's a basic decision script and you may want a more advanced one, but keep in mind that the basic script can hold more potential the better you setup the level.

Edit: Sorry, you weren't asking about Decision-making scripts. Well, to be honest with you, what you want to do is impossible with the HCE engine. You can't even cross over held weapons at the very least. However, I'm sure someone may say something to prove me wrong, but I'm positive it's not possible.
Edited by DarkHalo003 on May 29, 2010 at 09:08 PM

sierra117

Posted: May 29, 2010 10:26 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: Noobyourmom

Yeah, but it wouldn't be able to remember what difficulty the player had set it to since you would need other variables to remember. So while that would work, I hope there's a better way.
Edited by Noobyourmom on May 29, 2010 at 06:51 PM

im pretty sure the game remembers what difficulty is set. Otherwise when u play the game you would have to pick the difficulty between every level.

oh wait i get what u mean. like if u had it chosen on legendary, but because of the decisions it changes it to normal. But when the next level loads, you cant go back to legendary, because the game thinks you have played it only on the normal setting. Yeah that would be a fall-back. Unless u make the map only allowed to be played on normal. ill quickly make a script if this doesnt make sense to u.

Noobyourmom

Posted: May 29, 2010 10:35 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Yeah, I understand the problem. Imo, the ability to choose the difficulty is more important than decision carry over.

sierra117

Posted: May 30, 2010 03:23 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: Noobyourmom
Yeah, I understand the problem. Imo, the ability to choose the difficulty is more important than decision carry over.

then ur screwed! I dont think there is another way. D:

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun September 22, 2019 9:14 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website