A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »The CMT Thread

Page 1 of 6 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · Next
Author Topic: The CMT Thread (190 messages, Page 1 of 6)
Moderators: Dennis

Arteen

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 05:42 PM    Msg. 1 of 190       
Let's try this (yet) again. Masters has given me the go-ahead to release some old stuff, so here it is. I have a30 ready at the moment, but more will be ready soon enough. These are all old builds, not originally intended to be released, so you may need to use devmode here and there (switch_bsp is your friend).

a30 - Even though it's super-old, it's still a lot of fun, and is less buggy than the other stuff releasing soon. It's got all the new weapons, new enemies, new encounters, and new bsps that you should expect. I've spent the most time on this map, so I'm glad to finally have more than a dozen or so people able to check it out.

EDIT:
MP:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5310 - Vestige: Low fps, and our guy working on the portals never finished.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5309 - Snowtorn: Really have no idea why this wasn't released. It was nearly done.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5308 - Jungle Warfare: Bad layout.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5307 - Ivory Tower: Nobody wanted to fix up the bsp, so we never did anything with it.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5306 - Iron Tomb: Bad layout.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5305 - Cliffrun: Bad layout.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5303 - Abandoned: We couldn't make it look nice or play well.

SP:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5312 - a30: Our most playable of the maps.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5313 - b30: The new bsps are pretty bad. They're pretty, but they're bad.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5314 - b40: There's not all that much to this map.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5315 - d40: Plays a lot like the a10 beta, but some of the bsp switches don't quite work. You may need to use the devmode command 'switch_bsp' a lot.
Edited by Arteen on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM

ThetianSoldier

Keyboard not found! Press any key to continue...

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 05:53 PM    Msg. 2 of 190       
FIRST
dl'ing now, looks cool.

abkarch

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 05:53 PM    Msg. 3 of 190       
downloading :D thx

boogerlad

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 06:01 PM    Msg. 4 of 190       
sounds fun. Will post feedback soon.

hmph. Rogers sucks =( Can't seem to dl.
Edited by boogerlad on Jun 1, 2010 at 06:03 PM

032 Mendicant Bias

Magnum periculum est elit.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 06:05 PM    Msg. 5 of 190       
it r ossim

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 06:40 PM    Msg. 6 of 190       
YUS dling now, will post feedback in a bit

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 06:43 PM    Msg. 7 of 190       
downloading, i hope it dosent have horrible encounters like b30 did...

but i bet it does nooo

Molonky500

Xfire;killermax5

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 06:46 PM    Msg. 8 of 190       
loooks cool
Kthxbai

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 07:21 PM    Msg. 9 of 190       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vern125
Isn't Duce the leader now to tell you what should be released, not Masters?
Duce is really only 'in charge' of the upcoming multiplayer maps, Masters is still the original leader and decision head for SPv2-related content.

shadowslayer123

Not the american average

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 07:26 PM    Msg. 10 of 190       
this was great, i got to the part where you find the switches to activate the security door, and gave up. ive never had this much fun on a campaign since you released the a10 public beta

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 07:50 PM    Msg. 11 of 190       
Yay, coagulating blood! Now rooms aren't filled with blindingly-bright blood anymore when I go back into them! (Like my slaughtering near the bridge)

Also uh, I found a marine...but he's the one that Bungie had put in for use to have on the ground dead. Why? Well there's only a giant hole in his chest with blood coming out >_>
Would appear only when I got close though(LOD).

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 07:56 PM    Msg. 12 of 190       
it was nice and all. but i found it very sloppy.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 08:10 PM    Msg. 13 of 190       
And i was asking Lodex about whatever happened to this today and if I could ever play it. Thanks CMT. Are the scenario and BSPs open sourced?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 08:24 PM    Msg. 14 of 190       
That was really bad.

Encounters were very horrid, same with level design. The map also seemed very long and tiring, considering I just played it for an hour and it was the same thing over and over and over, and I didnt even finish it becuase of boredom.

The bsp's were decent, but I could infer from them that you pretty much just modeled out most of them and then just stuck the ai in there randomly, trying to make it "fun".

Some of the BSP's became very non linear and objectives were unclear on what to do.

SPV2 is to god damn overrated.

DarkHalo003

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 08:32 PM    Msg. 15 of 190       
That's probably because they left character out of the characters of the game. You don't group Elites with Brutes and leave it like that. You don't give brutes frag grenades. You don't let brutes have shields recharging every 3 seconds. Elites need to be with their standard squads and Brutes need to be in packs, or isolated squads of grunts and jackals. That's what makes playing enemies so intriguing in each game. If you make them "just-another-enemy" then you're only making it "look" fun. Some parts of the a10 beta were fun because they held true to this. However, if this is going to improve any, people need to not only know how to create a good big battle, but also know how to populate a big battle.

Higuy, which parts were bad? I want to know so when I play it I can figure out why.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 08:36 PM    Msg. 16 of 190       
Wat i extremley hated was that you could cheat your way out of the Phantom Atacks by just blowing them up with the Spartan Laser. the SL shouldnt be that powerful to kill phantoms but only banshees.

DarkHalo003

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 08:38 PM    Msg. 17 of 190       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
Wat i extremley hated was that you could cheat your way out of the Phantom Atacks by just blowing them up with the Spartan Laser. the SL shouldnt be that powerful to kill phantoms but only banshees.

It should be strong enough to destroy a Spirit in four shots. That would make sense. But one shot? I'm glad this is titles "beta."

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 08:44 PM    Msg. 18 of 190       
Pretty much all of them.

lol

If you know anything about level design you'd realize that it isn't becuase of "character" grouping or whatever. They didn't design any of this out before hand, me and il Duce use to talk about this all the time during the early work of Project Lumoria. If you notice, all ai in this build, b30 (dunno if you've played or not), and a10 (these are the only builds I've played) are put in the most illogical spots ever, have extremely crappy firing position, and the encounters are practically the same over and over again. When you make levels, you go for originality, not making the player have to go on some extremely long encounter just to unlock a door and fight the same encounters that are extremely hard every single moment. Also, making random objectives like "Disable those 3 comm channels" is pointless. They just exaggerate the gameplay and does not serve any role in the story or encounters. If you wanted to, the player could of just passed all of them, and it would of been pointless. But, if it was to like, disable that comm channel to let the pelican fly through, drop down reinforcements, and assault up the canyon towards the REAL objective, then it would be ok. There was also lack of ammo, but there was always tons of marines, and they were ALWAYS near a wraith or extremely hard encounter (wtf?) and they all pretty much always died in the very few moments I saw this. Also, this is the second level, in the other 10 or 11 levels in Halo. This was also really hard (due to poor level design lol!!) so i'm not sure what everyone was thinking when they played it and kept dieing (I'm not extremely good, but I can tell when its hard and its not).

tl;dr

Everything needs to be designed better when creating things like this. Take some time and paper, draw you crap out, and make it better instead of just randomly creating models, throwing AI in, and calling it fun and done.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 08:45 PM    Msg. 19 of 190       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
SPV2 is to god damn overrated.
Hey, at least some things are getting released.

I find it nice because of just the overall quality of the physical work, no one else has really matched that.

Then again, no other mapping teams have ever finished their own map with completely custom weapons and animations. Only people who came close was Sigma, and unfortunately their time came and they had to release what they had (which I thank them for, as the work is still really well done).

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 09:04 PM    Msg. 20 of 190       
I could really use the turret vehicle on sandtrap (or even add the .weapon)

Invader Veex

i make poast

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 09:16 PM    Msg. 21 of 190       
Could we get the scripts for the level?

Jesse

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 09:42 PM    Msg. 22 of 190       
I must say, this map is a gold mine of valuable tags if you look hard enough.

I could set the turret vehicle to spawn, and it will be first person (using the fp turret weapon).

I could use the wraith mortar particles.

I could use the ghost floating particles.

I could use the banshee fuel rod particles.

I could use the frag effects as rocket effects

I could use the covenant turret for custom maps.

I could use the bsp for testing.

I could use the destructible warthog.

ect.

The possibilities are huge, if you guys get your heads out of your asses.

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 09:55 PM    Msg. 23 of 190       
Some pics anyone?

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:03 PM    Msg. 24 of 190       
Quote: --- Original message by: jesse
I must say, this map is a gold mine of valuable tags if you look hard enough.

I could use a lot of stuff from here

The possibilities are huge, if you guys get your heads out of your asses.

You're going to be replacing the stuff I worked hard on to give to you? ):

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:05 PM    Msg. 25 of 190       
Is this anywhere close to the little "Advertisment" we saw on youtube?

Arteen

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:08 PM    Msg. 26 of 190       
Also, making random objectives like "Disable those 3 comm channels" is pointless. They just exaggerate the gameplay and does not serve any role in the story or encounters. If you wanted to, the player could of just passed all of them, and it would of been pointless.

It's not like you can't do that already in the stock campaign. You can pretty much skip the entire outside portion of b40, for example.

Quote: --- Original message by: HiguyThis was also really hard (due to poor level design lol!!) so i'm not sure what everyone was thinking when they played it and kept dieing (I'm not extremely good, but I can tell when its hard and its not).

Eh? I can't think of a single difficult encounter in the entire level.

Everything needs to be designed better when creating things like this. Take some time and paper, draw you crap out, and make it better instead of just randomly creating models, throwing AI in, and calling it fun and done.

Worth noting, no one had ever put new bsps into a stock map before we did, so most of this was just experimentation. a30 was our experimentation map. As a team, we were totally happy with just a bunch of new encounters in a bunch of new areas. We've had lots of internal discussions about taking the lessons we learned from SPv2 and making a more thought-out 'SPv3'. We'd have smaller, but more detailed and better-designed new bsps, and more of an overall plan to the campaign. But, of course, that would take time that none of us had, and the mod died regardless.

This definitely isn't the a30 we planned to release, and it's far from the latest build of the map we made; it just happens to be the one I had lying around. Think of it as a snapshot of the mod in progress. If we had the time, motivation, and manpower, we definitely would have fewer, more focused, better designed bsps and encounters. We did want to completely overhaul the mod, start it over, and make it great.

Anyway, faults and all, I still find the map to be lots of fun, but to each their own.

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:11 PM    Msg. 27 of 190       
Are you kidding me? SPv3?
Probably just tweak what's wrong and release.

Hry

:)

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:19 PM    Msg. 28 of 190       
I think it's very fun, and for the morons it's called "beta", also what jesse said.

DarkHalo003

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:31 PM    Msg. 29 of 190       
Hey Arteen, if y'all still want to work on it, send me the stuff and I'll help with AI encounters. I saw a lot of spots that could use some work and I have a few ideas too. However, I should note some technical bugs as well:

-Some control panels either were sunk almost completely into the BSP.
-Some control panels might actually be completely sunk into the BSP.
-It feels like you can just skip some of the Covenant Array things (which I don't see why you can't) and I feel no motivation to actually go through the trouble (even if I do anyways).
-Most of the time, I walked considering some poor, overpowered AI placement (too many ghosts, which are fragile when using, and the red hunters are very obnoxious). I'm basically at a part where i have 33 BR ammo and 2 brute shot grenades. The Brute Shot is good, but it is completely ineffective against the red hunters. These felt like mistakes more than on purpose ideas.
-The explosion of dropships brought back some of the horrors of SPv1 with a bunch of trash lying around. Thought it looked cool, but inconvenient when it's right over weapons or AI.
-Vehicles will blow themselves upon by running into parts of the BSP that are too much of an angle to simply drive up. This is kind of annoying, especially with the ghost and hard landings that you have to take.

-NOTE: The a30 beta is confusing. I'm not going to lie. I'm still playing through it, but it's taking me a while and more or less I really want to just finish the level. It kind of drags itself out too much if you know what I mean. I think that's due to unbalanced AI encounters, quirky AI squad design, and generally unclear ways of knowing what needs to be done next. Although it's rewarding to see that spot where you think something is at, it's just kind of like "okay, hit the switch, but now what?" There are some parts where it feels like I NEED a tank just to get through (such as the part where the Wraith is on the bridge near the Covy Structure). At that point, powerful weapons and vehicles should be available. There are times where it is fun, but there are still a TON of rough patches.

Esfinge

Xfire: sphinxbio2

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 11:20 PM    Msg. 30 of 190       
Nice!

Jesse

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 11:32 PM    Msg. 31 of 190       
pics

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 11:55 PM    Msg. 32 of 190       
Anyone know what to do when they come to the island with two bridges?

spartin115

Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 06:33 AM    Msg. 33 of 190       
I thought the level was good for an uncompleted job!

sierra117

If sex is good exercise, why are there fat sluts?

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 06:40 AM    Msg. 34 of 190       
the red hunters (or major hunters) simply are vehicle killers D:
whilst the minor / blue are standard & the black / specops (which i havent fought but i know they are in the mod. idk about this map tho, havent seen one) are kinda both put together O.o

DarkHalo003

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 08:11 AM    Msg. 35 of 190       
Quote: --- Original message by: sierra117
the red hunters (or major hunters) simply are vehicle killers D:
whilst the minor / blue are standard & the black / specops (which i havent fought but i know they are in the mod. idk about this map tho, havent seen one) are kinda both put together O.o

You couldn't kill the damn things with an entire Brute Shot clip, two frags, and one plasma grenade. At close range they were nightmares and unstoppable without grenade or SMG spamming and their own weapons did little against them (and other enemies for that matter). I think the mod focused really on making it tougher, even on normal difficulty (twas what I played it on), which is never the right direction. I think if CMT would have had the original tags with improved visuals and new BSPs with weapons that you actually care to use half of the time (the AR was useless and the SMG was annoying when you have three bullets left against a hoard of enemies and you need to reload but can't due to the crappy system it has).

Page 1 of 6 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 27, 2020 11:05 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website