A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »ethical question

Author Topic: ethical question (20 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 02:48 PM    Msg. 1 of 20       
seeing as im throwing my hand into map making, and that ill be away from internet for a month i have a question.

Seeing as i am new to this, is it normal for people to not code and creat their own vehicles and weapons from scratch, or is it normal to create your own stuff? i dont think ill be good at making my own stuff, so as long as i give credit to those whose models and tags i use is it ok?

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 02:51 PM    Msg. 2 of 20       
let's put it this way. Everyone seems to rip other games, but if you are to rip something from here, alter it a little, and represent it as your own, people seem to get a little....... pissed.

wesman

no your a freezer

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 02:56 PM    Msg. 3 of 20       
It is totally legal to take any tags made in halo ce and use them for your own purposes as long as you don't gain a profit from it. That being said, many users here will get quite upset if they discover you have been using their tags without their permission or giving credit. Regardless of what users may say though, you will not be punished for ripping, leaking, or using another user's tags without their permission.

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 03:01 PM    Msg. 4 of 20       
note that the title is "ethical" question.
I think we all know due to Dennis's countless explanations that anything done in this game, unless it is sold for profit, is perfectly legal.

wesman

no your a freezer

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 03:09 PM    Msg. 5 of 20       
I know, it just wanted to reinforce that fact because if a new user were to come here without understanding that, they could very easily assume that using tags without permission is illegal based on user's comments.

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 03:17 PM    Msg. 6 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: wesman
I know, it just wanted to reinforce that fact because if a new user were to come here without understanding that, they could very easily assume that using tags without permission is illegal based on user's comments.

Good point. Many people do say that to deter people, but I will still say as far as "ethically" goes, people will shun you for doing so.

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 03:52 PM    Msg. 7 of 20       
no no no! i totally understand that everything on this site, needs to have credit where credit is due. i totally plan on giving that credit when due.

but i noticed hoe people put tags and models up for Download. do need to get in touch with them to use it, or may i just put it in my map and credit it to them.

i Really REALLY REALLY REALLY Don't wanna step on toes. and by no means do i plan on taking wrongful credit. i just wanted to know where the line was drawn

wesman

no your a freezer

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 03:59 PM    Msg. 8 of 20       
If people put them up for download then no, you don't need to get in touch with them. It is common practice to at least credit them though.

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 04:02 PM    Msg. 9 of 20       
and i completely realize that. i just wanted to make sure that no approval was needed if they put it up for DL.

now two last tech questions.

Can i make the water, a different color? i havent really gotten that far along in the process yet but i need to know!

and can i make it kill you on touch?

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 04:03 PM    Msg. 10 of 20       
A lot of people don't want much of their stuff released to the public all the time (God only knows why) so i am sure that your most likely answer will be "no, I'll do it myself when I so chose" or something of the like.

oh and about your question, I think so but I am not sure, I know you can make planes that when a person goes below them they instantly die or take damage and then die unless they get back.
Edited by eliteslasher on Jun 3, 2010 at 04:05 PM

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 04:16 PM    Msg. 11 of 20       
well, i have noticed a abundant lack of volcanic maps, i would like to attempt one. thats the only reason

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 04:38 PM    Msg. 12 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Griff
well, i have noticed a abundant lack of volcanic maps, i would like to attempt one. thats the only reason

lol started this a bit ago and have yet to finish. It's one of UNMT's next projects when our Citadel varient is finally completed.

Edited by eliteslasher on Jun 3, 2010 at 04:38 PM

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 04:47 PM    Msg. 13 of 20       
wicked looking volcanoe.

edit:ok, when i save my photoshop image where do igo to save it. i am watching a tutorial, but i cant find the folder he names

Edited by Griff on Jun 3, 2010 at 04:51 PM

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 05:08 PM    Msg. 14 of 20       
An image for a map are you referring to?

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 05:10 PM    Msg. 15 of 20       
no, the texture for ground, do i need to save it in a specific place or what?

Eduit: and can i use gmax in stead of 3ds?
Edited by Griff on Jun 3, 2010 at 05:23 PM

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 05:23 PM    Msg. 16 of 20       

As far as organizing folders, it really just has to be anywhere in the data folder, but a you can see there are not just random bitmaps in the data folder rather there are more organized subfolders and more organized subfolders within those as well. look in the levels folder within the data folder at how the organization of the map folders are there to get some clue.

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 05:24 PM    Msg. 17 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher

As far as organizing folders, it really just has to be anywhere in the data folder, but a you can see there are not just random bitmaps in the data folder rather there are more organized subfolders and more organized subfolders within those as well. look in the levels folder within the data folder at how the organization of the map folders are there to get some clue.

thats the thing, my files dont have a "data" folder. and is gmax a good alternative to 3ds?
Edited by Griff on Jun 3, 2010 at 05:25 PM

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 06:02 PM    Msg. 18 of 20       

Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher

thats the thing, my files dont have a "data" folder. and is gmax a good alternative to 3ds?
Edited by Griff on Jun 3, 2010 at 05:25 PM

If you have HEK you should have the folders premade

Griff

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 06:04 PM    Msg. 19 of 20       
download for hek got to the end aand said invalid location, so im reinstalling it. thats the problem. how do you cope with the whole "30 day trial" of 3ds max?

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 06:27 PM    Msg. 20 of 20       
Gmax is a free alternative of 3ds Max, but exporting levels is a little different, so if this is your first time, I would suggest getting a tutorial geared for Gmax. This is the one I used to learn how to map:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2664

As for using other people's tags, there willl always be people who piss and moan about it, but as long as you give credit you're fine. People always like mappers to go the extra mile and create their own stuff, but there's definately no harm in using other people's content.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon August 10, 2020 6:40 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website