A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Modeling a Warship

Author Topic: Modeling a Warship (31 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Link2262

WARNING: Hitchhikers may be escaped convicts.

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 08:42 PM    Msg. 1 of 31       
Reworded because R-Blaze didn't understand what I said

I've been trying to make a 3D model of the outside of a UNSC warship, similar to the Citadel of Quebec's outside, or the Forward Unto Dawn's.
It hasn't been going too well. My models keep looking god-awful, and they never work out correctly.
So, would somebody other than R-Blaze be able to help me?

I'm not asking to go out and make a full model. I'm only asking for suggestions/tips on how to make them.
Edited by Link2262 on Jun 4, 2010 at 06:20 AM
Edited by Link2262 on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:58 AM

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Jun 4, 2010 11:19 PM    Msg. 2 of 31       
My advice: look online for an existing 3D model to use as the basis for your own design. I recommend turbosquid.com, as that's where I got inspiration for aircraft I'm working on. I simply used the existing model and tweaked it to my liking. In your case, you'll probably have to do a lot more modifying to make it look like a UNSC vessel. Since you're going for a frigate-sized ship, you'll need to include at least two main engines and several peripherals located close to the mains. UNSC ships have a trend of being compact (meaning they aren't like Star Trek vessels, with warp nacelles mounted on pylons).

What this means for you is that you must make an elegant space-faring box, so to speak. No nicely rounded planes, elegant curves, or sloping bows. Blocky, chunky, compact, but nothing short of a can of WA waiting to be unleashed. Get inspiration from concepts and existing ships known in the Halo universe. The biggest challenge for you will be making an accurate and convincing bitmap to match your newly designed warship...and bitmapping is evil in my mind. Best of luck.

ODST Sarge

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 11:17 PM    Msg. 3 of 31       
can someone make a driveable UNSC COQ

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 11:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 31       
Yes, but given the size of the ship, you'd need one hell of a big map to make it actually fun and tactical to control a frigate ingame. I would assume that piloting such a frigate would entail the use of many weapons, no doubt an unstoppable MAC being one. Piloting a frigate would also make it nearly invincible, realistically speaking, as no weapons in a conventional map could take it out effectively. Basically, having a frigate would be just too damn powerful, unless your map was massive and had a Covenant equivalent (or a frigate for the other team) and combat consists of nothing but broadsiding.

Strydehawk

Banana+Squidward

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 12:05 AM    Msg. 5 of 31       
Gonzo said use a basis, I agree. But keep in mind that you aren't limited to existing warships. Use your imagination not to a higher extent but to no extent at all. You can take a pencil sharpener model, clone it, then attach them both to a pen model. Then you could take a shorter pen and put it on top of the longer one. If you can just remove everything that identifies it as two sharpeners attached to two pens, then edit some details, you can get such a basis for a warship. You can take a water bottle, put some fins and take out the cap and grooves, you have what could be a nuke. You can take a cardboard box and some cardboard tubes and probably some wiring(I'm not saying chop off your computer's power cord, I'm not even saying do this in real life) and call it a power plant or probably even a turret. The point is, you could take something cute and cuddly like a teddy bear and turn it into something lethal and dangerous like an explosive with a little editing and imagination.

Also, when he said 'box', please try not to make it so simple. Nobody wants a single box with a lot of smaller ones added on as, say, an airplane's fuselage. Try to make the corners... whaddaya call it, 'sloped'.

___
......\ Like this
.......|

______
..........| Not this
..........|

Whilst keeping in the polygonal style of Halo-esque human warships.
Edited by Strydehawk on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:33 AM

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 12:17 AM    Msg. 6 of 31       
Well said. Well said. I never thought of using something 'cute and cuddly' as a basis for my latest 5th gen fighter. I was locked on using existing airplanes as a start. Course I tried making one from scratch and almost tore my brainstem out. I'm not good with modeling anything other than a map or structure from scratch or even from a light start. I prefer to modify existing models...but that's beside the point.

One last thing for now: I find when I model something, and have a specific goal, I pretty much just mess around with whatever comes to mind first. Usually that either leads to my goal (or close to it), or leads to inspiration for my goal (or something better). Basically, I edit on a whim, but lock into a plan when I have one. You may find that absentmindedly staring at your screen engenders inspiration much more rapidly than being specific about it.

Link2262

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 06:38 PM    Msg. 7 of 31       
I took your guys' advice, and decided to make this today:

The UNSC Frigate, the Way of Life.

I realize the sides are too stylish for a UNSC frigate, but I had to make it look not so bland and drawn out

Here I kinda copied OpsY a bit with the hangar right there, on the bottom of the ship

Some nice looking engines, no?

I even added a MAC Cannon hole on the front of the frigate!

It's still a WIP, so there will be changes made to it.
Edited by Link2262 on Jun 6, 2010 at 06:39 PM

abkarch

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 06:45 PM    Msg. 8 of 31       
heh, texture that and ill use it in the UI im making. thats how much i like it.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 07:07 PM    Msg. 9 of 31       
Great design, and it definitely looks applicable to the Halo universe. Although I see you took a lot of basis from the In Amber Clad in terms of the main fuselage and overall layout. I don't mean to offend, but perhaps you could remove some of that influence? Just so others don't think you took the COQ and changed up the rear.

Link2262

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 07:37 PM    Msg. 10 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Although I see you took a lot of basis from the In Amber Clad in terms of the main fuselage and overall layout.
That's mainly what I used for reference pictures. XD Yeah, I can try to change it up a bit. How would you suggest I change it?

Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch
heh, texture that and ill use it in the UI im making. thats how much i like it.
Awesome! :D

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 08:33 PM    Msg. 11 of 31       
I'm not big on naval designs, let alone space-faring designs. But, I would change up the bow. You have a near-identical copy of the COQ bow, with the two sub-bows (if you will) that look like prongs, the MAC tube being mounted in the upper prong. I would unify them, and maybe expand a section of the bow, approximately 1/4 of the way back. So if the whole bow equates to 20 units, expand the section that is between 4 and 11 units, as a rough approximation. This makes the bow look unique, and the expansion would, in my mind, look best about a quarter of the way in rather than at the half point, front, or rear of the bow.

Additionally, you may want to put some miscellaneous extensions/extrusions (similar to the ones you have on the side of the main engines) in other areas, just to give it a more unique appearance, separate from its 'sister' ship, the COQ. Lastly, make sure you have a bridge. I don't recall seeing one in your photos. These are all my suggestions, based on my experience in making models that are unique from concepts they may have sourced from. You don't have to take any, and I'm not recommending you take any of them, aside from changing your obvious source.

Link2262

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 11:21 PM    Msg. 12 of 31       
Here's a new picture to show you a bit of what I re-did:

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 11:28 PM    Msg. 13 of 31       
Looks awesome! Still has that relationship to the COQ, but perhaps that's not entirely a bad thing. The structural braces (or whatever you prefer to label them as) add realism and break up the smooth surface of the hull. The addition on the top, which I presume is a turret of sorts, looks large, given the size of the ship, and should be mounted closer to the hull in my opinion, granted it does need some height to grant mobility.

IF you happen to texture your ship, I think it would look spectacular in the map I'm making. I could use a UNSC scenery vessel.

Link2262

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 11:50 PM    Msg. 14 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Looks awesome! Still has that relationship to the COQ, but perhaps that's not entirely a bad thing. The structural braces (or whatever you prefer to label them as) add realism and break up the smooth surface of the hull. The addition on the top, which I presume is a turret of sorts, looks large, given the size of the ship, and should be mounted closer to the hull in my opinion, granted it does need some height to grant mobility.

IF you happen to texture your ship, I think it would look spectacular in the map I'm making. I could use a UNSC scenery vessel.
That "turret" was actually supposed to be the bridge, but I can change it so that it's more like a bridge.

I've tried adding texture to it, but it hasn't been going so well. I've got the UVW maps, just have to add the texture-stuff to it. I'm also adding some text to the side of the ship, labeling it. :D

I might release it privately to people, but I don't think it'll go on Halo Maps as a general frigate model to be used.

Strydehawk

Banana+Squidward

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 12:42 AM    Msg. 15 of 31       
You know it's really hard to believe that's original and not taken from existing Halo objects... but apparently, I know it is!

Link2262

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 06:32 AM    Msg. 16 of 31       
@Strydehawk
Really? :D

@CAG Gonzo
I think I know why my ship looks like the COQ no matter how I change it. Both the COQ and the WOL are Apoc-Class Frigates.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 09:39 PM    Msg. 17 of 31       
True. You could edit your model further to lessen the influence, or leave it as is. I think both options would yield quality results, based upon your current work.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 10:03 PM    Msg. 18 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: Link2262
Here's a new picture to show you a bit of what I re-did:

[/quote

is the side where it has 5 holes big enough to hold a peli?? or even a sparrow hawk

Link2262

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 10:22 PM    Msg. 19 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: Hydrogen
is the side where it has 5 holes big enough to hold a peli?? or even a sparrow hawk?
It's smaller than the actual frigate will be, but when sized to scale, each of the hangars can fit roughly 2-3 Pelicans.

@CAG Gonzo - :D I think I've made enough changes for there to be a noticable difference between the two ships.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 10:43 PM    Msg. 20 of 31       
I know where you can get a frigate model for refrence

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 10:53 PM    Msg. 21 of 31       
There is definitely enough change for there to be an easily determined difference between the two frigates. As for the hangers, the best way to figure that out is to use The Ghost's gbxmodel importer and import the pelican's gbxmodel into your scene. If you want the frigate to hold pelicans in those spaces, scale the frigate accordingly. If you want your frigate to be roughly the same size as the COQ, find a reliable reference model (or extract it from the map itself) and scale accordingly, then see if a pelican can fit.

iHalo

Modeling ::Royal Carribean's Oasis of the Seas::

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 12:05 AM    Msg. 22 of 31       
Why Hello.

Strydehawk

Banana+Squidward

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 02:54 AM    Msg. 23 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: Link2262
@Strydehawk
Really? :D

@CAG Gonzo
I think I know why my ship looks like the COQ no matter how I change it. Both the COQ and the WOL are Apoc-Class Frigates.

Yeah, although the hangars are bulging out too much... And those lines are bugging me, but I wouldn't advise removing them, they aren't that bad, not bad at all, and IMO what sets it apart from the original Halo warships.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 04:41 AM    Msg. 24 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: iHalo
Why Hello.

may i have in a obj with all bitmaps??? because mine is unskinned :[

Link2262

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 06:18 AM    Msg. 25 of 31       
That's just a ripped model of the Dawn...

I've made a new frigate, and it goes by the name Payment.

Just for scale

Edited by Link2262 on Jun 11, 2010 at 04:50 PM

samurailotus

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 12:12 AM    Msg. 26 of 31       
I was looking at more complete models and i anitated one for where flying vehicles bays should be
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qicmzq.jpg

just a suggestion
bye the way it would be cool if they bay doors had a switch to open and close them
Edited by samurailotus on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:14 AM

relle ruza

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 08:53 AM    Msg. 27 of 31       
hey can i have a copy of one of the frigates for a college project?

Link2262

Posted: Jan 15, 2011 01:15 PM    Msg. 28 of 31       
Sure, just let me know which one, and I can get you the file. :)

Hs_crozzhair

Posted: Jan 15, 2011 01:42 PM    Msg. 29 of 31       
And dont forget to make random poles stick out from the front, that MUST be ln EVERY UNSC ship.

ThetianSoldier

Keyboard not found! Press any key to continue...

Posted: Jan 15, 2011 02:09 PM    Msg. 30 of 31       
Why Hello.

not to bring the argument back up, but custom > rips

Hs_crozzhair

Posted: Jan 15, 2011 02:45 PM    Msg. 31 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: ThetianSoldier
Why Hello.

not to bring the argument back up, but custom > rips

accurate custom> inaccurate coustom

That is for reference.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 18, 2019 2:46 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website