A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »quick question

Author Topic: quick question (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

cody

I WOULD OF BEEN YOUR DADDY, BUT THE DOG BEAT ME!

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 03:30 AM    Msg. 1 of 5       
is +sky material considered part of the triangle count?

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 07:30 PM    Msg. 2 of 5       
From my understanding, it is, though I'm not 100% sure. It would be logical to assume that is, however, as the game must know where to define the invisible walls that constitute a sky, and to do that, you need to use triangles to define that limit, so the game could reference the triangle locations and know where to put up a collision to prevent the player from passing the sky.

On that note, it's best to keep the triangles used to make up your sky at a minimum, so weld as many vertices as you can without affecting the shape of your map. The less triangles you use, the faster the framerate will be (on most machines). You aslo do not need to apply shading groups to sky triangles; as they will not be seen, it doesn't matter if they're smooth or not.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 09:54 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: cody
is +sky material considered part of the triangle count?

Yes. It is part of the BSP model. However, there are easy workarounds for it, such as just making a box, flip it, and give it the proper +sky material settings. Then, put your BSP inside the box.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 10:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
I would think the +sky faces on a bsp count toward the triangle count.
I would also assume that the geometry in the .sky tag used would also count.

cody

I WOULD OF BEEN YOUR DADDY, BUT THE DOG BEAT ME!

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 05:43 AM    Msg. 5 of 5       
ah, k, was trying to squeeze all the poly's out of a bsp, and the tesalating a box didn't quite do it, inside i made a box that has 150/150/1 sides and welded the crap outa the top. with 606 triagles for +sky

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun December 15, 2019 6:26 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website