A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »New map protection technique

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: New map protection technique (51 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 06:36 PM    Msg. 1 of 51       
Hey I am working on a new type of map protection but I haven't been able to test it all-out hardcore. Any one want to help me?
And please don't get started about the ''ethics'' of map protection like I have seen before.
Any takers?

-Lone Wolf
-Skipdrow
Edited by Skidrow925 on Jun 20, 2010 at 06:46 PM

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 07:01 PM    Msg. 2 of 51       
well you can make a map protection but someone would break it lol.

send me the map that has your protection ill try to rip it.

RevolutionaryCaptain

Preparing to continue the overmind's plans

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 07:36 PM    Msg. 3 of 51       
A new map protection? This isn't going to work out at all. Oh well nothing perfect in this world...

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 08:25 PM    Msg. 4 of 51       
well, if you are going to make a form of map protecting program, are you going to also protect the program itself if that be possible? If the willpower is there, anyone who gets their hands on the program can find some way to undo what it does. Make sure anyone who gets ahold of you to help you you KNOW you can trust.

abkarch

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 08:28 PM    Msg. 5 of 51       
only jerks protect maps.

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 11:56 PM    Msg. 6 of 51       
I disagree as much as anyone who would about protecting maps. I think it is really just sort of dumb, but doing such a thing is not being a jerk. If you make anything, you have the right to do WHATEVER you want with it.

Ilikdonuts101

lol wut you say?

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 03:15 AM    Msg. 7 of 51       
Why protect maps? What is the point of protecting maps if you made something for halo if you don't share it with anyone else? hce is all about uploading your maps and tags for other people to use. And jerks don't protect maps, selfish people do.

GameCreat0r

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written..."

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 03:45 AM    Msg. 8 of 51       
Yes, I want to help you. I'm the one that started a topic about map protection some weeks ago and I made up the rules of use for map protection. I can help you make it and advise you how to publish it. You can't just publish the new protection 100% open since rippers will then bust it whitin days and people will use it to often. A good map protection is used on very few maps and is only avaleble to map makers that keep it to themselfs.

I would love to hear how you want to build this protection PM me plz. I'm in if your idea could work. Also I can test it for you when it's finished. I've still got my beta waiting for that.

And people stop discussing map protection in this topic. This is the technical forum not the discussion.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 04:48 AM    Msg. 9 of 51       
lol i got 6 ways to unprotect a map...

GameCreat0r

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:04 AM    Msg. 10 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: Hydrogen

But since you like to publish a way to get around map protection you should not be one of the persons that get's a hold of this new protection IF IT WORKS. I hope you really have something skidrow. But wait a minut you're not gonna do the protection you alreaady gave me do you? In that case I'm already whit you remember? You made it for me! LOL. I'll start testing it soon. Send me a PM whit the 'How to do it' details. We should make a program for this if it works, I can script a part of it.

oh and hydrogen, until you find a way to rip revelations I'm not that impressed. Revelations is rippeble but it's a hard one :P.

Edited by Niels on Jun 21, 2010 at 05:05 AM

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 09:59 AM    Msg. 11 of 51       
OK as I can not upload maps with my crappy internet I will need about ooh I don't know maybe 11 people.
One of which will need a map I will PM the details of it and the others need to be the best rippers halomaps has to offer.

Any takers?
I can use more then that though and the only person to know how I protected the maps will be the one with the map.
Tell me if you want to be the one with the map or a ripper please.

-Skipdrow
Edited by Skidrow925 on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 10:13 AM    Msg. 12 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: Hr3shy
accualy hce is about makeing something custom. it doesnt mean you have to share or anything, you dont even have to make it public. as far as new protection goes you should stop making it as any tard can get past protection. i got passed gammas ;) no i didnt rip :P was just messing around.

It's not that I care if you rip the map. What I care about is people spreading the tags around and bragging about it *cough* sphinxbio *cough*

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 10:22 AM    Msg. 13 of 51       
*sigh*
Offtopic: The reason that I have used map protection before (When I was able to upload junk) was so that people do not rip the map without permission.
If they want to rip my make they need:

• How will it be used

• What the map will be called

• Credit to me for anything custom

If they don't ask me for permission and they rip it well I mess them up. A lot.
/offtopic

Please try and stay at least somewhat on topic.
Any one want to help?

-Skipdrow
Edited by Skidrow925 on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Dark Neon

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 11:46 AM    Msg. 14 of 51       

Wow, big man.
All the above was sarcasm

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 02:17 PM    Msg. 15 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dratt
Look at the protection used on SPv2 A10 beta. Broke in less then 24 hours

Really?
Can you get me how to do it?
And the way I am thinking would take a long time to crack possibly many days.
The objective is to make it unbreakable though.

Co1t3r

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 04:01 PM    Msg. 16 of 51       
If a protection method was impossible to crack, the engine wouldn't be able to read it. Honestly, if your Halo content is that precious to you, you should just keep all your maps to yourself.

Advancebo

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 04:16 PM    Msg. 17 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

-Skipdrow

Quote:
4. Rules on Signatures.
- No image signatures are allowed.
- only three lines of text if you make your own signature within the message.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 04:39 PM    Msg. 18 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: colter13
If a protection method was impossible to crack, the engine wouldn't be able to read it. Honestly, if your Halo content is that precious to you, you should just keep all your maps to yourself.

I don't have to worry about people taking any of MY Stuff. But there are people who don't want their maps ripped and their tags stolen. Still any takers? At all?
And it is readable by the engine.
Funny thing is. It only takes about 10 seconds to protect like I am talking about with my idea.
Well that is if you have a big map and a fast machine.
I first tested it out on BC. Why BC? cause it is nice and small.
Also the bigger your map the easier to protect and the harder to protect.
I really don't care avoidance.

-Submit to Authority
-Skipdrow

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:05 PM    Msg. 19 of 51       
Yet you still don't have a reasonable excuse why anyone would protect

Like I said. Some people do not want their tags getting out withut them knowing it.
other people don't want people taking their stuff and claiming it for their own.
And as I said on the first post
Please don't get started about the ''ethics'' of map protection.

Please consent to that.

-Submit to Authority
-Skipdrow

abkarch

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:24 PM    Msg. 20 of 51       
a few weeks ago, you had no idea what you were doing. i still think you have no idea what you are doing. so i think that the "content" isnt yours.

Co1t3r

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:33 PM    Msg. 21 of 51       
Send a protected map to me, just because I'm curious.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:42 PM    Msg. 22 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch
a few weeks ago, you had no idea what you were doing. i still think you have no idea what you are doing. so i think that the "content" isnt yours.

When did I ''have no idea what you were doing'' about map protection eh?
Also Since I cannot upload maps I can't send you one.
Like I said:

I need about 11 people to help me.

Any one want to help with a map to upload?

-Submit to Authority
-Skipdrow
Edited by Skidrow925 on Jun 21, 2010 at 05:46 PM

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:54 PM    Msg. 23 of 51       
I got question to you. Why even brings this topic up? I mean you know that this community is divide into four section right? There's the people who protect the maps, there's people who rip the map or " Rippers", There's people who do both of these thing and final there's people who just don't care about it.

And what do you mean by a '' map to upload"? Skiprow

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:57 PM    Msg. 24 of 51       
I submit to authority because I choose to, not because you tell me to... so...
I don't get it. You need another person's map? Why? We can't protect it, you have the beta protector. Then, you'll only have to upload it again anyway. Logically, you could use your own map. Unless I'm mistaken. I suspect treachery.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 06:14 PM    Msg. 25 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: RevolutionaryCaptain
I got question to you. Why even brings this topic up? I mean you know that this community is divide into four section right? There's the people who protect the maps, there's people who rip the map or " Rippers", There's people who do both of these thing and final there's people who just don't care about it.

And what do you mean by a '' map to upload"? Skiprow

Its either Skidrow or Skipdrow not Skiprow.
Anyway

By ''a map to upload'' I mean that I need someone with a map any size with anything even if it is just a BSP of BG and a skybox of BG.

Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
I submit to authority because I choose to, not because you tell me to... so...
I don't get it. You need another person's map? Why? We can't protect it, you have the beta protector. Then, you'll only have to upload it again anyway. Logically, you could use your own map. Unless I'm mistaken. I suspect treachery.

As I have stated I can not use my own map because I can not upload one because I do not have enough bandwidth to.
Otherwise I would do it myself.

-Submit to Authority
-Skipdrow

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 07:51 PM    Msg. 26 of 51       
Yeah I don't about your name. I call what I want call you. You didn't anwers my question.

Here there are:
Quote: Why even brings this topic up?

Here another question. Which side are you on? Just in case you forgot what I said I'll post it again.

Quote: I mean you know that this community is divide into four section right? There's the people who protect the maps, there's people who rip the map or " Rippers", There's people who do both of these thing and final there's people who just don't care about it.

Edited by RevolutionaryCaptain on Jun 21, 2010 at 07:57 PM
Edited by RevolutionaryCaptain on Jun 21, 2010 at 07:57 PM

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 08:47 PM    Msg. 27 of 51       
what you want me to rip from revelations?
Edited by Hydrogen on Jun 21, 2010 at 08:49 PM

Element

Live to win, live to skate, live to play

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 09:28 PM    Msg. 28 of 51       
Dissembly and Decompiling the executable file for the protection is all one needs to creak it open. Unless you manage to encode your program with EXTREME protection, you will never get an "unbreakable" protection.

Oh by the way, what are you using to make this? I hope not Visual Basic or C#, because it is extremely easy to open an EXE made with one of those.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 09:34 PM    Msg. 29 of 51       
These discussions tire me.

For those of you who are against protection, I understand your point that you guys find it annoying that there are those so selfish that they flaunt their stuff without sharing. I know that you guys are annoyed by these people, as you are with Skidrow here.

However, has it ever occurred to you guys that you are equally as annoying? I'm not talking about those who rip; I'm talking about those who continue to spark these discussions. @ lazygamer (yes, I still know your old username), you said that there's a fourth category, those who don't care about protection. You guys all obviously don't fall into that category, because you continuously spark these long winded discussions.

I know that skidrow doesn't usually know what he's doing (maybe a harsher word than usually), but can you guys not let this topic sit in peace? He wants to protect; fine. He might fail or he may succeed. You guys are trying to make him fail rather than succeed, and in the end, as you guys say, you'll always break it. Fine. Just let this discussion sit then; rather than arguing about the morals of protection and refusing to share to a community that continuously sticks its hand into places it doesn't belong, just let him do what he wants without sparking this discussion. It isn't the rippers that makes people want to protect; it's those that make such a big deal out of it.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 09:44 PM    Msg. 30 of 51       
As for me I don't give a care about protection.
But I know that some people do.
Also it isn't anything to do with C (that I know of) it different then any other protection eer deised. Thats all for now cause I hate laptops and I am stuck on one for now.

-I hate laptops
-Skipdrow

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 09:50 PM    Msg. 31 of 51       
My My. That was quiet a mouthfully wasn't Gamma? Your wrong one thing.

Quote: you said that there's a fourth category, those who don't care about protection

I didn't say that. This what I said:
Quote: and final there's people who just don't care about it.

I can see where you think I'm talking the map proctection but I'm also talking about people who don't care about ripping either. I'm not going to into futurer details why I just say that.

Quote: @ lazygamer (yes, I still know your old username)

Good job.

Anyways back on topic: Hydrogen how did take you crack it the protection? Skidrow I wish the best of luck to you in this map.

Co1t3r

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 11:27 PM    Msg. 32 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: Element
Dissembly and Decompiling the executable file for the protection is all one needs to creak it open. Unless you manage to encode your program with EXTREME protection, you will never get an "unbreakable" protection.

Oh by the way, what are you using to make this? I hope not Visual Basic or C#, because it is extremely easy to open an EXE made with one of those.

What does this have to do with executable programs? We're talking about map files not computer programs.
And it's equally easy to open .NET programs as it is for native applications; .NET programs are just easier to understand after they have been compiled.

@Skidprow I'm not understanding what you want since you refuse to send me one of you "super-protected" maps.
Edited by colter13 on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM

ThetianSoldier

Keyboard not found! Press any key to continue...

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 01:55 AM    Msg. 33 of 51       
I am hellbent on ripping a map using this protection method now, regardless of the tags, just for the sake of showing people there will always be a way to rip from maps, no matter how "well protected" they are. I hate it when people brag about how they can rip, but I hate it when people brag about how they can protect, too.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 06:18 AM    Msg. 34 of 51       
OK PEOPLE THIS IS GOING NOWHERE!

Let's stop this endless discusion since this isn't the first topic to proove people will never agree about map protection.

Let's just eighter bust this protection by ripping it or find out skidrow was right after all (haha need to see that happen).

Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

OK as I can not upload maps with my crappy internet I will need about ooh I don't know maybe 11 people.
One of which will need a map I will PM the details of it and the others need to be the best rippers halomaps has to offer.

Any takers?
I can use more then that though and the only person to know how I protected the maps will be the one with the map.
Tell me if you want to be the one with the map or a ripper please.

-Skipdrow
Edited by Skidrow925 on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I will be the guy that protects a map for you. Send me the protection details (if I don't already have them). I've got a worthless map whit a lot of content that I allow to be ripped. I publish the protected map on my sever afterwards so you guys can download it.

what you want me to rip from revelations?
Edited by Hydrogen on Jun 21, 2010 at 08:49 PM

Well I do. That map is briljant. Also I've never seen that protection cracked before. Learn me if you can. (Btw only because I want to learn about that protection not because I want to rip the tags, however I do like those tags :P)

Ah you think so? Learn me how.

note:NO NEED TO ARGUE ABOUT ANYTHING I POSTED! SO DON'T!

Element

Live to win, live to skate, live to play

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 06:41 AM    Msg. 35 of 51       
Quote: --- Original message by: colter13

What does this have to do with executable programs? We're talking about map files not computer programs.
And it's equally easy to open .NET programs as it is for native applications; .NET programs are just easier to understand after they have been compiled.

@Skidprow I'm not understanding what you want since you refuse to send me one of you "super-protected" maps.
Edited by colter13 on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Well obviously you need to build a program that actually protects a map with this type of protection... unless you have a better idea?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri January 17, 2020 8:34 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website