A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Another Stupid Campaign Mod for Halo CE

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Another Stupid Campaign Mod for Halo CE (38 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Ifafudafi

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 06:49 PM    Msg. 1 of 38       
Update: 7/21

Because a10 is so short and has so little vaired content, it's nearing time for me to release that. There will only be two new weapons (the rest are either long-range or heavies, both of which wouldn't fit the environment or the pacing), but everything's been rebalanced anyway so it should still be kinda fresh. Keep a close eye on the thread as I'm not sure when I'll be done; goal is next Wednesday, guarantee is by the end of the month. If you want it, download it, as if I don't get enough interest I'll probably just quite while I'm ahead.

---

So after weeks of deliberation, I settled on a name I believed could represent the mod as concisely and accurately as possible while giving it a uniquie identity. Enjoy this look at Another Stupid Campaign Mod.

What, you might ask, does this mod do?

ASCM heavily revamps and heavily adds to Halo's weapon selection.
The arsenal overview video goes into more detail, but here's a quick list of the weapons currently designed and functioning. All of these are subject to change, of course.

Assault Rifle- Standard, all-purpose mid-range weapon with a 2x zoom. Holds 40 rounds at moderate accuracy, power, and rate of fire.
Battle Rifle - Long-range, 15-round headshot weapon with a slow rate of fire and a 3x zoom. Not H2/3's burst-fire BR; it's more like Reach's DMR.
SMG - 60-round bullet hose. Excellent close-range weapon.
Shotgun - 8 rounds. Devastating at short range, moderate effectiveness at mid-range.
Pistol - Mid-short range, 8-round headshot weapon. Has no zoom and isn't accurate enough to handle long-distance engagements but it's an excellent (if more situational) alternative to the Assault Rifle or the SMG.
Sniper Rifle - The one you know and love. Kicks like a mule, but is guaranteed to kill anything instantaneously providing you shoot it in the face. The only weapon other than the Rocket Launcher capable of bringing down a Hunter in one hit.
Rocket launcher - Its near pinpoint accuracy and large, powerful explosion is offset by a slow fire rate and two-round clip.
Plasma Rifle - Not as powerful as the Assault Rifle, but considerably more accurate and more easily found.
Plasma Beam - Headshot weapon with a 2.5x zoom and high rate of fire. Projectiles require a slight lead on moving targets due to their slow speed.
Plasma Spread - Launches 8 projectiles in a wide cone. Less effective than the Shotgun at short ranges but more useful at mid-short range.
Plasma Pistol - Primary fire is meh, but the charged shot homes in and instantly kills any shields. Great when supported with a headshot weapon or a Needler.
Fuel Rod Cannon - Launches explosive rounds in an arc. Not as powerful as the Rocket Launcher but capable of spreading a lot of pain over a wide area rather quickly.
Needler - Launches a bunch of homing needles at a high rate of fire. Needles will not attach to shielded targets, but will still do decent amounts of damage; 7 needles stuck into an unshielded target means an instant kill.
Impaler - Long-range weapon with a 3x zoom. Weaker than the Battle Rifle, but has less recoil and fires slightly faster. Needles will stick into anything, shields or otherwise. 7 needles into a target is an instant kill.
Eviscerator - Launches homing needles in an extremely wide cone. At short ranges, the needles spread out so widely they miss the target, and at long ranges, the needles dissipate, but at mid-ranges, it deals damage slightly greater than a full shotgun burst, while overpenetrating unshielded targets and bouncing off walls.

There are a couple of more in conceptual stages which may or may not be added in. Oh, and I know the Battle Rifle sounds a lot like the DMR (especially now that Bungie's bumped the DMR's clip size to 15) and the Impaler sounds a lot like the Needle Rifle, but I swear I came up with these ideas first.

ASCM almost completely overhauls Halo's particle system.
The Covenant's effect set is completely redone; most weapons and devices have their effects rebuilt from the ground up. Humans don't get quite as much love but still see improvements in almost all areas. The videos do a better job of showing this off than text ever could.

ASCM is about consistency.
Many of the most important and valuable aspects of a game are often the smallest. For example, the Plasma Pistol's projectiles would erupt into blue fire when shot against a tree, rather than the characteristic green effect. It's a small detail, but many of these little oversights begin to add up. ASCM's secondary goal is to provide the most coherent and polished experience possible, completely free of inconsistencies and rushed features.

ASCM is episodic.
Rather than spend aeons trying to keep interest high enough to warrant my continued efforts, I'll be releasing maps individually over time, with the goal being to get a10 through b40 out through the end of the summer. Each release will act as a sort of public beta test, allowing me to gather feedback both on a simply functional level (this weapon doesn't behave correctly) and a more subjective level (I don't like this weapon because blah blah blah.) Each new release will be retroactive, adding improvements and fixes to all maps released up to that point.

ASCM is open source.
While each individual map will be locked at first, the eventual bulk release of a10-b40 will be entirely unprotected. I've always believed the best way to learn is by example, so every bit of custom content in the mod will eventually be available for your ripping and viewing pleasure; any content not made by myself comes from something somebody else has already released publicly.

On the other side of things, however...

ASCM is a campaign mod.
A bit self-evident, but worth mentioning nonetheless. There's no multiplayer portion; the weapons are designed to work under the campaign's conditions. If anyone really really wants it, I can transplant the weapons into stock maps, but that's the most I could concievably do.

ASCM is not as big as CMT.
While a few of the recently released assets from the now-defunct SPv2 are utilized (since I can't model, animate, or texture at all), the additions are designed merely to revise the campaign, not overhaul it.

ASCM's weapons do not have new models or animations.
As stated above and in the videos, I have neither the skill nor the means to do anything but particle effects and tag editing, so the only visual difference between weapons outside of their particle sets will be colors, so that they may still be identified quickly.

ASCM does not add new enemies.
The tried and tested combo of Grunts/Jackals/Elites/Hunters is an excellently balanced set of encounters; Brutes end up being big dumb bullet sponges. The new weapons already introduce considerable variety, as each variant's AI is designed specifically around its weapon.

And to anticipate a couple of things...

When will ASCM be released?
Eventually. I'd rather not set a deadline to prevent rushing through something, but as stated above, I want to get a10 through b40 out before the Autumnal Equinox. As soon as I break out of alpha and have all the custom content in place and polished, you'll see a10 released. After that, the other maps should come quickly, as I'll just be tweaking and rebalancing things.

Can I do anything for ASCM?
Probably not, but if you're willing to model, animate, texture, and rig weapon models for entirely new guns, feel free, as there's no way on Earth I'll be able to do so.

But you guys don't care about boring words, so I'm making a series of video previews, with a new one each Wednesday. There are three so far; I'll update the thread accordingly.

7/21 - Plasma Rifle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kRtHv3baI

7/7 - Plasma Beam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMRM5rJEGOw

6/30 - Needler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW5cE1VFKm0

6/23 - Particle overview/Plasma Pistol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0jQjWzayBw

6/16 - Weapon overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYmc8cKCIUw

6/9 - Blood effects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnHAjz_fgqQ

There are also a buttload of screens over at the Modacity thread (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21879); they're too big and too numerous for me to stick here.

Enjoy.
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jul 21, 2010 at 02:54 AM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 06:56 PM    Msg. 2 of 38       
NOT ANOTHER CRAPPY SP MOD!
In all seriousness, this sounds pretty interesting. Will you be making your own custom HUD?

Azrooh

Bleh.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 07:08 PM    Msg. 3 of 38       
A campaign that isn't a complete overhaul?!
This is madness.
But really, this community focuses too much on complete overhauls. I have a feeling I'll love this mod.

RevolutionaryCaptain

Preparing to continue the overmind's plans

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 07:29 PM    Msg. 4 of 38       
I seen your videos before. I noticed that the effect are very pretty and well done. I can't wait for this releae, your stuff is top nock stuff.

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 08:32 PM    Msg. 5 of 38       
Wow I am really impressed. This is very creative.

WM Blade

WORT WORT WHAT???

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 09:09 PM    Msg. 6 of 38       
the sigle shot needles looked nice

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 09:27 PM    Msg. 7 of 38       
He did release a tag pack on Modacity a while ago.

Link: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21597-Ifafudafi-s-Plasma-Pack-3

Ifafudafi

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 09:42 PM    Msg. 8 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: jesse
Will you be making your own custom HUD?

I'm hoping to, but my attempts so far have ranged from mediocre to terrible; I'll revisit it once more pressing things are in place, but no guarantees.

Quote: --- Original message by: RevolutionaryCaptain
He did release a tag pack on Modacity a while ago.

There are three of them; I'm pretty sure the first and maybe the second are broken links, though. Still, while the third one is pretty much translated directly, all the effects from the first two have been entirely replaced.

pwner5889

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:07 PM    Msg. 9 of 38       
Nice effects, I would like to see some custom models for the new weapons though. In my opinion.

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:08 PM    Msg. 10 of 38       
There are people who are willing to make this more than a slight improvement on gameplay. You should probably ask for assistance regarding the HUD and even perhaps animations.

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:15 PM    Msg. 11 of 38       
The Dark Energy Flak cannon is very nice. But the link is dead. :<

Mythril
-
Screenshot Guru
-

Jeffrey Albert Waldo

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:47 PM    Msg. 12 of 38       
Cool, been following this on Modacity and Youtube.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:52 PM    Msg. 13 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine
There are people who are willing to make this more than a slight improvement on gameplay. You should probably ask for assistance regarding the HUD and even perhaps animations.

:o

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:59 PM    Msg. 14 of 38       
wow. This is going to be so awesome! :D
Kudos dude!

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 11:03 PM    Msg. 15 of 38       
i like it

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 11:10 PM    Msg. 16 of 38       
yeah. I just got finish downloading you tags off modacity and after testing them. They are very well done and I love the Dark Plasma Rifle I'll make gameplay video as soon as I install Xfire on my new computer =p.
Edited by RevolutionaryCaptain on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 11:21 PM    Msg. 17 of 38       
Very nice work, different particles are scarce and new ones are always very welcomed and loved by me. This gives me an idea, but I'll have to speak with someone about it later...

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 11:38 PM    Msg. 18 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
Very nice work, different particles are scarce and new ones are always very welcomed and loved by me. This gives me an idea, but I'll have to speak with someone about it later...

Expect for me. :( Anyways I just logged on to Xfire. I be right I gots to a restart becasue windows update.

Ifafudafi

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 11:53 PM    Msg. 19 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine

If anyone is willing to make those things (and can do a decent enough job), then feel free to PM me. Most of the guys at Modacity are retired and I'm not familiar with people around here, so I can't ask directly.

Quote: --- Original message by: Vern125
One question though, what's the point with using large words in your videos to explain details of how each of the weapons react and work?

When I make a video, I begin by writing a script which I then supplement with appropriate gameplay footage. Having been a massive grammar nazi and overall literary geek (and then having majored in English), I tend to utilize a more complex vocabulary, simply because years and years of writing have trained me to find the most precise and applicable word rather than a simpler four-letter alternative. I'm not actively trying to use larger words, I'm simply writing what comes to me naturally. If that makes me different and strange, then I take it as a compliment.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 12:34 AM    Msg. 20 of 38       
Dang we get posted on Bungie.net and all the Jealous 360 trolls attack us. Whats with that?

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 12:38 AM    Msg. 21 of 38       
Here some gameplay of the needler weapons.

http://www.xfire.com/video/2ed845/

I suck at playing online. :(

Edited by RevolutionaryCaptain on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM

FtDSpartn

Verified AI.

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 12:44 AM    Msg. 22 of 38       
Lol,btw,I am going to have my server back up,if anyone is interested in trying them out for MP. Look at my topic for info.

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 11:01 AM    Msg. 23 of 38       
Hey Ifafudafi, you make a dark plasma grenade sense you already made a Dark Plasma Rifles and Dark flak cannon.

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 12:21 PM    Msg. 24 of 38       

Here some gameplay of the needler weapons.

http://www.xfire.com/video/2ed845/

I suck at playing online. :(

Edited by RevolutionaryCaptain on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Where are the rest of the guns?

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 12:25 PM    Msg. 25 of 38       
Killa, these first version gameplay there are no plasma guns only needlers. But don't worry I about post some gameplay aganist Dark Plasma Rifle Jackal and they were hard to kill. Also it has some weapons gameplay in it too. Just got await for it to upload. Btw the no sound.

Second Edit: Gameplay of me getting pwned:http://www.xfire.com/video/2ee2db/
Edit: Pictures

Edited by RevolutionaryCaptain on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:29 PM
Edited by RevolutionaryCaptain on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Ifafudafi

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 01:47 PM    Msg. 26 of 38       
Hey Ifafudafi, you make a dark plasma grenade sense you already made a Dark Plasma Rifles and Dark flak cannon.

Or, better yet, you can use the tags to make one yourself. I didn't release them just so that they could be haphazardly strewn about maps, but also so that people can learn from and utilize their effects. Really, the Dark Energy Cannon has most of the effects you'd need; a couple of tweaks here and there and you're set.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 03:24 PM    Msg. 27 of 38       
Man this sounds like it will be really really cool.
Can't wait till it comes out.

-Skipdrow

GoldeNTacO

Stout Shako for 2 Refined

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 08:29 PM    Msg. 28 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: IfafudafiWhile each individual map will be locked at first, the eventual bulk release of a10-b40 will be entirely unprotected.
What's the point of protecting them if you're just going to release them unprotected later?

FtDSpartn

Verified AI.

Posted: Jun 26, 2010 08:35 PM    Msg. 29 of 38       
Well,he can protect it then release,so the community points out bugs and fixes,etc.
Then he releases the full version unprotected with bug-free and updated tags.

RevolutionaryCaptain

Posted: Jun 27, 2010 12:11 AM    Msg. 30 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ifafudafi

Or, better yet, you can use the tags to make one yourself. I didn't release them just so that they could be haphazardly strewn about maps, but also so that people can learn from and utilize their effects. Really, the Dark Energy Cannon has most of the effects you'd need; a couple of tweaks here and there and you're set.

I'll try. But I suck at. But practice makes perfect I guess.

Ifafudafi

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 02:49 AM    Msg. 31 of 38       
New video up, this time detailing the Needler. Check the video section in the first post.

Vokes

BBQ AT BOB'S PLACE

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 12:14 PM    Msg. 32 of 38       
Although I will soon reply to the OP of this thread in detail and whatnot, I would like to directly reply to this post.

In my opinion, your redone Needler looks completely beautiful. The effects for the needles themselves (when fired of course) look amazing, and the super combine explosions just look insane. Great job on the Needler, and I certainly can't wait for more overviews of your weapons. : )

Ifafudafi

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 01:15 AM    Msg. 33 of 38       
What's that, Lassie? Ifafudafi posted another video that nobody's going to watch anyway?

See the video section in the first post, and happy Bungie Day

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 12:55 PM    Msg. 34 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vern125
Holy fack! I forgot that today is Bungie Day! :O

how could I forget? Bungie day is one day before my birthday, my birthday is four days after the fourth, and on the 8th the spammers are supposed to shut down halomaps and bake me a birthday cake.

also sexeh face melting ;O

WM Blade

WORT WORT WHAT???

Posted: Jul 10, 2010 05:29 PM    Msg. 35 of 38       
the dark plasma rifle reminds me to the Anihilator Beam freom metroid 2 xD

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue March 31, 2020 4:18 PM 375 ms.
A Halo Maps Website