A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Ground texture shaders

Author Topic: Ground texture shaders (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Twinreaper

Posted: Jul 3, 2010 05:54 PM    Msg. 1 of 3       
Ok I have a problem. Usually whenever I do a conversion of a classic map, I use custom textures for the ground. For my Infinity conversion, I wanted to use the exact shaders and bitmaps used as the original. The problem I have is simulating the original ground for Infinity. I have tried duplicating the shader enviroment tag that Halo 1 uses, by using the exact bitmaps, shader settings with no luck. I even have tried duplicating the tex_bump_detail_blend_detail shader they used for the halo 2 maps ground textures, but whenever I do, one of the detail maps always covers the ground instead of actually blending, and only showing things where they are needed. If this is confusing, to make it easier to understand, I am trying to get the same effect as coagulation. Mostly a dirt ground texture, but grass blended in in certain areas. It uses the shader template I trying to use, 2 detail blend bitmaps, and 1 overlay bitmap. Can't for the life of me get this to work right. Any ideas or help would be appriciated. If need be, I can post a link to my shader tag, and maybe someone knows how to tweak or fix it so it can be used properly?

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jul 3, 2010 07:14 PM    Msg. 2 of 3       
Looks like you are trying the correct shader, perhaps some of your values are off or your bitmaps are not set up/imported correctly.

Here is what we have for Coagulation (so far, I still need to finish some of the details):

Ground Shader:
http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/Tags/scenarios/shaders/multi/Coagulation/coag_ground.shader

Bitmaps:
http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/Tags/scenarios/bitmaps/multi/halo/coagulation/

This is one area I do need to learn more about, good luck.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jul 3, 2010 08:50 PM    Msg. 3 of 3       
Yeah the Infinity one is setup the exact same way. The interesting thing is, just like it's Coag counterpart.....the grass is the only bitmap with a color to it, the rest are black and white. So it leads me to believe, that I may have to take the grass bitmap for a Photoshop ride, and remove it's color. Also, every bitmap except for the ground one is a color-key transparency bitmap, and the ground one is an explicit alpha. I have also tried mixing up the type of bitmap and it always gives the same result whenever I decide to add the grass one in. On top of that, I have also tried different detail slot numbers for all bitmaps, and have even tried adjusting it's detail scale many times. I am almost at a loss on this one. I may have to just resort to using multiple shaders to do the ground.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat November 16, 2019 10:50 PM 125 ms.
A Halo Maps Website