A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Compiling issue with no answer?

Author Topic: Compiling issue with no answer? (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Twinreaper

Posted: Jul 10, 2010 12:35 AM    Msg. 1 of 3       
I've come to a point in Infinity's development that I cannot compensate for. I have roughly 26000 faces, 13,000 vertices, 10 instance objects, and a total of 534 portals as reported by tool during my last compile. I have since then added about 300 more faces worth of geometry and I am now getting an error I have not encountered before. When compiling the .ass file to a bsp, I get the error "bsp2d too deep" or something along those lines. I have tried removing the items I added, and I get a "could not build leaf map during portalization" error messges. I have gone thru the geometry with a fine tooth comb, ensuring everything was linked properly, named properly, and so forth. Development is now at a standstill, unless I can get my latest build to compile properly. I am so close to finishing this map. I only need to add about 20 more boulders, and roughly 10 trees. Any help or guidance would be greatly appriciated. To aid any help, I have uploaded a copy of my working directory to my skydrive folder. Once interested parties hve it, they can add the folder to their working directory, and try compiling tries and ideas of their own. Thanks in advance!

http://cid-3e553768043b2519.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Infinity.rar

It contains everything as it is on my hdd, minus the shaders, which are custom in my tags directory.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jul 10, 2010 05:22 AM    Msg. 2 of 3       
Ok good news. Now, I can tell you what is wrong or I could fix it for you but I think the best way to show you is to point you at this max file of Desolation (that I put together for H2V) so you can study and compare the basic layout.

http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/Data/scenarios/multi/%5BDATA%5D_Desolation.zip

Merge the portals I made for Desolation onto your map, make more because your map is larger. The portals must go outside of the skybox as they do on Desolation. If they are too small then resize them with the scale tool. The general shape you had for the portals was good but (AFAIK) they need to be separated.

Also, portals need this material assigned to them: +portal. When making a new one clone an existing portal. I name the first portal +portal01 the next +portal02 and so forth.

The skybox needs to be connected to the terrain, not just attached as the same mesh but physically connected. This is one of the big errors.

Lets see, umm, b_levelroot is huge (which may not matter). It is also outside of the skybox. Just say no. ;) Unlink it before you move or resize it. Then relink everything to it.

Your Skybox is named Infinity, rename it to skybox.

There are 493 errors on the map, almost all of them will disappear when you seal just the top of the sky to the terrain. The sky under the terrain needs to go. So delete all the sky faces except for the ceiling, then bring it down (if you want). Now create new polys connecting the sky ceiling and the terrain perimeter.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Aug 1, 2010 at 06:34 PM

Twinreaper

Posted: Jul 10, 2010 09:50 AM    Msg. 3 of 3       
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I did not know some of the rules for making maps in H2V still exisited as they did on HaloCE. I of coarse assumed making a big skybox, simply attached without being physically attached was gonna work, since most Halo 2 Xbox maps had the same principle. I will go thru my map tonight and apply the changes, and your portal setup. I might as well go ahead and do the same for icefields while I'm at it, since the same layout is present. Thanks for the advice and link to a great resource man, I really appriciate it! I'll keep you updated. On a side note, will these fixes make the problem of certain areas that seem to have no collision go away as well? For instance, certain parts of my icefields map, in particular, the giant lake in the middle, fail at certain large sections to register any type of collision besides vehicle and biped. Any thoughts?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 18, 2019 12:50 PM 141 ms.
A Halo Maps Website