A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Glowing textures on scenery

Author Topic: Glowing textures on scenery (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

LlamaMaster

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 12:57 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
As the title of this thread suggest, I am trying to give a texture on my scenery model a general glow. From what I've seen so far, lens flares on shader_environment tags don't work on scenery models, despite being the only shader with that capability (from what I can see, anyway). Since that didn't work, I then tried to use a solid green multipurpose map in a shader_model tag for uniform self-illumination. That didn't work either, but I'm not sure whether I'm just doing it wrong or if it's just not possible.

TL;DR: How make scenery glow through shaders?
Edited by LlamaMaster on Jul 14, 2010 at 01:02 AM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 01:10 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
It is done in the green channel of the multi.

LlamaMaster

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 01:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
I already said that...

Koo294

How is she when she doesn't surf?

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 01:50 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
You could add a marker to the model and put a light on (and possible reference a lens flare from that light)

LlamaMaster

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 01:56 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
I could, but I would have to place *alot* of them for it not to look awful. That's why I want to do it through shaders.

Stagnant

-Everything (Somewhat Inactive)- UDK is beast

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 02:07 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
I don't know if scenery tags can use shader_model. Try using a shader environment with a glow map, I think the glow maps are pink.

Koo294

How is she when she doesn't surf?

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 02:57 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
No, .gbxmodel tags (which scenery uses) are meant to use shader model. Shader enviroments work, but only limitedly, and also ignore certain things such as fog when on .gbxmodels. Also, if you mean glow as in a kind of bloom effect, you could use plane in front of the surface whith a shader transparent with a kind of glow thingy like the teleporter bitmap.
Edited by Koo294 on Jul 14, 2010 at 02:59 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 05:56 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
I know i wasnt very informative, but i am not sure what to tell you.
You must have not done it right when you tried.
Find a stock shader and bitmap that have the glow set up and copy it i guess.

LlamaMaster

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 12:56 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
As I thought, self-illumination didn't work because I was just doing it wrong. In the end though it looked horrible, so I moved on to another method. I used a shader_transparent_chicago tag to prevent my bitmaps from darkening with the surrounding lightmaps. I tried to use lens flares, but in the end they didn't work/matter. Setting the "framebuffer blend function" to "add" brightened the texture, so it's not a problem anymore.

TL;DR version: I worked around the problem, and was just explaining my process so future people would know.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun October 20, 2019 2:07 PM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website