A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »yet another Tool issue "some shaders were not defined"

Author Topic: yet another Tool issue "some shaders were not defined" (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Sclariqrevk

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 02:56 AM    Msg. 1 of 8       
I have 4 different images/files (I don't know the terminology) and only one is giving me trouble when it asks what type of shader I want. (I'm new to this mapping scene so I'm not exactly one to know how to fix something like this other than the example of renaming a file from a tutorial. and that just made it freak out further)

Ghilli

<insert thoughtful quote here>

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 10:41 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       
try posting some screenshots/give more information.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 11:08 AM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Choose shader_model.

Sclariqrevk

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 02:48 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
for "sky," "walls," and "highwalls" (I don't know why I put that in there but whatever) it proceeds smoothly. but then once it asks what shader type I want to choose for "ground," I just get this:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8615/issue.gif

I tried both option 1 and 2 but they failed. I don't know what other information I can relay

Ghilli

<insert thoughtful quote here>

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 03:03 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
shader_environment should work

Edit:

watch this tutorial...should help: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1522
Edited by Ghilli on Jul 15, 2010 at 03:23 PM

Sclariqrevk

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 05:48 PM    Msg. 6 of 8       
well unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. I tried a different .tif for the ground to see if that was the issue (I wouldn't know if it was or not) but no luck. so I'm at a loss right now

haloce orange

Why bust your arse? When you can have a free car!

Posted: Jul 16, 2010 02:26 AM    Msg. 7 of 8       
Tool wants you to to specify a shader to be associated with the bitmap used in max. When it gives you the "choose a type for the shader" option it creates a new empty shader in the tags root folder. You have 2 options: use the one tool spat out or create your own beforehand (I would suggest the latter since once you know how its very simple).

Option 1. To use what little help tool gave you:
After running tool and choosing the shader type (in this case you would pick 1 for shader_environment), find the newly created .shader_environment file in your tags folder and move it to the shaders folder for your map. Replace mapname with your level.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\test\mapname\shaders

Then open the file in guerilla and give it has the following properties:
radiosity properties -> flags -> check simple parameterization (mainly used on ground textures)
physics properties -> material type -> (choose the type of material: dirt, sand, stone, snow, etc.)
diffuse properties -> base map -> reference your bitmap file (ex. ground.bitmap)
Then save and close guerilla.

Now re-run tool and there should be no more error.

Option 2. Creating your own shaders beforehand will prevent this error. Before running structure in tool do this:
Open Guerilla and select File -> New... and select shader_environment from the drop down list.
Give it the same properties as above and save it as the name of the sub-material used in max (ex. ground.shader_environment) in the shaders folder of your map. Its location should look like this:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\test\mapname\shaders\filename.shader_environment
Replace mapname with your level name and filename with the name of the sub-material in max.
Edited by haloce orange on Jul 16, 2010 at 02:32 AM

Sclariqrevk

Posted: Jul 16, 2010 08:42 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
I'm still getting the error. I wonder if it's a problem elsewhere? or perhaps my bad luck with any and all technology is still keeping pace :p

in the meantime, I'll try fiddling with the names here and there to see if that works

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 20, 2019 6:28 PM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website