A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »if this is off topic, then go ahead and lock it, i just need answers

Author Topic: if this is off topic, then go ahead and lock it, i just need answers (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 07:20 PM    Msg. 1 of 12       
If someone were to give proper credit to Bungie and Microsoft, would it be okay to make a Halo mod/total conversion for a different game. I know someone has already done it before and think Bungie and/or Microsoft were pretty mad about it. I'm not in the progress of doing this, I would just like to know...

Don't flame me for this thread please.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 07:51 PM    Msg. 2 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sergeant 1337
If someone were to give proper credit to Bungie and Microsoft, would it be okay to make a Halo mod/total conversion for a different game. I know someone has already done it before and think Bungie and/or Microsoft were pretty mad about it. I'm not in the progress of doing this, I would just like to know...

Don't flame me for this thread please.
Yes you can.
Just remember to credit everyone, including whose company which the designs were originally made.
In this case Bungie, Microsoft, and the company which owns the game which you are porting these into.
Edited by Shock120 on Jul 27, 2010 at 07:54 PM

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 07:56 PM    Msg. 3 of 12       
ok. thanks. I would like to do this though. I don't know how to do some of the needed things.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jul 28, 2010 12:24 AM    Msg. 4 of 12       
If someone were to give proper credit to Bungie and Microsoft, would it be okay to make a Halo mod/total conversion for a different game.
Credit is not the issue and is frankly irrelevant. What is relevant is how Bungie and/or Microsoft perceive how the “conversion” affects the value of their intellectual property. Because they hold the copyright to “all things Halo” the value in this case may not be just a monetary value but a perceived value in image, dilution of the Intellectual Property or the direct monetary impact the conversion does or may have on future earnings.

Essentially you have no rights to the Halo game, image or story. You will most definitely receive a cease and desist order if you try to sell it or profit from it in any way and if MS or Bungie feel it is potential competition to an existing or future game they can also order you to stop. Case in point is the now defunct Halo conversion of the C&C Generals strategy game that was stopped long before the Halo Wars game was announced.

Simply if you do make a conversion in another game you absolutely run the risk of having either MS, Bungie or the company of game you are converting sending you a stop order. So proceed at your own risk. It is coin toss but in the end you cannot and will not profit from it if that is your reason for doing it.

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jul 28, 2010 04:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 12       
I would never profit it. I'm not even sure i would make it public either. Might just be a private mod for me and friends.

Would the same rules apply if i used tags from the Halomaps website, such as CMT brute?

Also would the same rules still apply if it wasn't a public mod and wasn't relased?

1337PotatoChips

[/Insert sentry level-1 here]

Posted: Jul 28, 2010 09:35 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
I would never profit it. I'm not even sure i would make it public either. Might just be a private mod for me and friends.

Would the same rules apply if i used tags from the Halomaps website, such as CMT brute?

Well anything thats been made for Halo belongs to Bungie/Microsoft no matter what, even if CMT made the tags.

Dennis

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 12:31 AM    Msg. 7 of 12       
Yes copyright and intelletual prooperty laws apply across the board.
Also would the same rules still apply if it wasn't a public mod and wasn't relased?
What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. But yes the copyright laws still apply.

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 12:43 AM    Msg. 8 of 12       
So if it was private, Bungie/Microsoft could still shut it down?

Dennis

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 12:51 AM    Msg. 9 of 12       
So if it was private, Bungie/Microsoft could still shut it down?
That is what I said. I doubt they would but they could. I doubt they would even if you relased it unless it was impacting their current or future earnings. But by law they could sue you.

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 01:08 AM    Msg. 10 of 12       
Trust me, anything I make won't be competition for anything Bungie/Microsoft makes.

But how would they know I'm making a private mod if it's not public?

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 01:11 AM    Msg. 11 of 12       
if people pay for it you will get sued so dont make people pay for it

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 01:15 AM    Msg. 12 of 12       
I wouldn't do that, that's stupid.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun September 22, 2019 11:03 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website