A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Release] Halo: Duel Edition Version v2

Author Topic: [Release] Halo: Duel Edition Version v2 (26 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Dontu

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 03:13 AM    Msg. 1 of 26       
I will post map and weapon pics in the morning.
If you wish to skip to the chase a promotional and instructional video are past these waves of text.
Now for wall of text attack! >:U
Halo: Duel Edition represents a mod project that I started a long time ago, http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=18457, and dropped after a hard drive crash. After my release of Silent Lexicon I felt like starting again and see how far I could get before RL came calling. So without further ado I present to you Halo:Duel Edition. This is a mod that spans five maps focusing specifically on melee combat. The mod features six unique melee weapons for slapping opponent's upside the head. Some weapons have what is called a dodge. When a player "fires" their weapon they will be propelled backward, however this can be used as a method advance across a map as well. Also weapon specific is the ability to cast. Casting is the replacement of halo's original grenades with the fireball and the kill spell.

Note: None of the maps are configured for race, sorry and I highly recommend playing oddball with 5+ players, as it becomes annoying when a smart ball carrier just plays keep away.

The Maps
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Temple:
</a>
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5438
Size: Small
#o'players: 4-8
Notes: My personal favorite Temple is the perfect size map for any small game. It offers the opportunity to prove your mettle in fast paced frenetic combat. Use of the dodge as well as mastery of the kill spell is essential to your success, and always be mindful of the stairs. I recommend playing Slayer and KotH.

Castle:
</a>
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5437
Size: Small
#o'players: 4-8
Notes: Similar to Temple in layout, but offers a stronger emphasis on the high ground and team play. Control the bridge, but donít fall off. I recommend Slayer, CTF and of course KotH.

Tower:
</a>
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5430
Size: Medium
#o'players: 4-16
Notes: This map was designed with team play game types in mind, especially CTF, but free for all game types are just as fun to play as well. Try to control the elevated pit where the rod sits, it is the quickest path in for the flag runner. There however are still two alternate paths that must be secured to prevent a flag runner from escaping. Spawns have been configured so that this area will always be under threat of constant attack, and in team games the flag will almost always be in danger of theft. Get a team of good defenders out onto your flag bridge to defend the flag. Try to get a weapon to compliment your swiftblade and donít fall off itís a long way down.

Crag:
</a>
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5418
Size: Medium
#o'players: 4-16
Notes: Located in ruins sunk into the crater of a volcano, this map was also designed with teamplay in mind. Controlling the center ruins with the Rod and Conquerorís Helm is essential to victory is essential to victory. I recommend CTF, Team King or any variant of Slayer.

Pit:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5429
Size: small
#o'players: 8-16
Notes: As of current this is the largest map that is offered by this mod.
At first glance this seems like a small map, but that is strictly due to ease of visibility, donít let it fool you. I strongly recommend team games of KotH or CTF. If you play CTF do not let them get your flag, once a flag runner gets out of your base, it becomes very difficult to stop them as most of the time they make a beeline through the ruins in the center of the map.

The Weapons
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Swiftblade
</a>
Damage: Medium
Bonus: Extremely effective against vulnerable opponents
Cast: Yes
Dodge: Good
Swing Speed: Fast
Note: A consistent weapon that is somewhat ineffective against an opponent's armor, but is extremely effective against vulnerable opponents. This is the standard starting weapon across all maps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dagger
</a>
Damage: Low
Bonus: Delivers damage directly to an opponent's health
Dodge:Good
Swing Speed: Very fast
Note: An excellent weapon for finishing wounded opponents and has the ability to be deadly efficient in the right hands.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bringer
</a>
Damage: Medium
Bonus: Extremely Effective against opponent's armor.
Dodge: Mediocre
Swing Speed: medium
Note: A good weapon that offers an excellent combo with the Swiftblade. 1st strike remove shield; switch to Swiftblade and deliver a fatal strike.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mace
</a>
Damage: High
Bonus: none
Dodge: Mediocre
Swing Speed: Slow
Note: A good consistent weapon that attempts provide the best of both the Bringer and the Swiftblade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sledge
</a>
Bonus: Charging and jumping at an opponent can deliver a one hit kill
Cast: No
Dodge: None
Swing Speed: Very Slow
Note: A strong power weapon that will have you charging into the fray to flatten some faces.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rod
</a>
Bonus: Powerful ranged strike
Swing Speed: None
Note: Devastatingly powerful, but this comes at the price of your shields making you progressively more and more vulnerable and can result in death. Make each shot count.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assassinís Fan
</a>
Damage: Low-Medium
Bonus: Ranged dart shot, coupled with a blinding powder.
Swing Speed: Fast
Note: A tricky weapon that will take some work to master, but the reward is definitely worth it. The darts are extremely effective against vulnerable opponents, while the powder provides a way to ambush and blind foes. Its effectiveness increases if the target is in a dark area as well as how much of the powder they are hit with.

Spells
*************************************************************************************

Fireball
</a>
Damage:Good
Bonus: Splash Damage
Note: A good consistent spell that serves to soften up opponents or to provide support for friendly teammates.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kill Spell
</a>
Damage: Good-Excellent
Bonus: Instant kill if it directly hits an opponent
Note: Risky but can result in some amazing kills that can turn the tide in your favor. Also there is some slight splash to the impact.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Promotional Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11vMnRaGus

Dodge Instructional Vid
http://www.xfire.com/video/3203ce/
Edited by Dontu on Aug 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 03:15 AM    Msg. 2 of 26       
DAMN nice

ThetianSoldier

Keyboard not found! Press any key to continue...

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 05:20 AM    Msg. 3 of 26       
oicwutudidthar with the spells replacing grenades.
Me likey.

olly12345

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 07:52 AM    Msg. 4 of 26       
I think a freeze spell would be more appropriate. the colour gives it that kinda look

Koo294

How is she when she doesn't surf?

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 08:37 AM    Msg. 5 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: gnademassica117
Um.... What is the point of this thread? You put [Release] but it's not...

He said he'd do it later.

Dontu

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 10:52 AM    Msg. 6 of 26       
Im sorry thats my bad there should be a fresh rapidshare link for the entire map pack. I was hoping it would soon be available for dl on the main servers.

Dontu

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 11:39 AM    Msg. 7 of 26       
Dodge instructional vid is up as well as a new dl link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/410019113/HDE_Mappack.zip

Koo294

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 01:16 PM    Msg. 8 of 26       
I think people would prefer if you didn't use rapidshare, i have to wait 1 and a half minutes to download. Use mediafire or the like. Looks nice though, dling now.
E: fell off the bridge in the castle map, got an exception. :C
Yep, whenever i lose my sheilds, i exception :C
Maps look really nice though.
Edited by Koo294 on Jul 30, 2010 at 04:47 PM

Dontu

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 08:06 PM    Msg. 9 of 26       
Thats troubling to hear does this happen on all maps or just castle? If this is happening to anyone try turning the master volume in halo's settings to 0 this might solve the problem.

Koo294

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 06:31 AM    Msg. 10 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dontu
Thats troubling to hear does this happen on all maps or just castle? If this is happening to anyone try turning the master volume in halo's settings to 0 this might solve the problem.

All maps. I'll try it, i did think it might be a corrupt sound tag.
E: yea, that works, check the sound tag for shield down
Edited by Koo294 on Jul 31, 2010 at 06:34 AM

wesman

no your a freezer

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 01:25 PM    Msg. 11 of 26       
Rapidshare link isnt working.

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Aug 1, 2010 05:39 AM    Msg. 12 of 26       
played the maps, love em all! I will send you a pm, I have some suggestions for weapon improvements - too tired right now. I made a map with custom player animations that will be better for your melee (I was working on a caveman map . . .)

Also, I love the relief carving/bitmap on tower. Also on tower, it seems that the snow on top needs to be dirtied up a bit so it looks more natural.

On Crag you have a very nice medeival tavern door. I think this should also be put on opposing sides of the Temple map. Temple itself could use some more ambience.

On crag, the fire/lava pits are just a bit too pink. Also, on the torches throughout these maps, the dynamic light is there, but no flame. I suggest you take the burning.effect from the tiki-torch, and create a scenery tag, use the marker_up model in scenery/emitters as the model, then re-name the light marker to "smoker", save and place exactly where you need them. I am guessing you may have already did something like that, but optimized for development by removing them. The small flame effect won't hurt framerates.

The fires on Crag seem . . . abandonded . . . you need some wood or debris.

I loved the Pit, but it seems too big for a melee map - it could do with the mongoose for a different style map. Also, the ground is green - missing the grass blades though - but this map is very crisp and clear - love it.

Also loved the bell towers - the bell needs to be darkened to a dark/rustic steel though.

Consider losing the dodge effect. True it may help jumping/defending, but it seems glitchy.

These maps deserve a very nice biped - medieval knight. The cyborg tends to ruin the feel. Maybe some biped modelers here may contriibute?? *COUGH* hint *COUGH* Oh, and I love the "helm" - helmet for a overshield.

Dontu

Posted: Aug 1, 2010 11:52 PM    Msg. 13 of 26       
Glad to hear some great crit. True the fires on the torches lack a particle emitter, the reason however is due to the fact that it pretty much overloaded the number of particles on screen. Overall thanks for the crit and i sent a pm.

Update as well these maps have made it through the ringer. The dl is now available enjoy!

Tower http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5430
Crag http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5418
Pit http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5429

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 12:32 PM    Msg. 14 of 26       
Update as well these maps have made it through the ringer.
Yes. We found them... mostly harmless

Dennis

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 12:19 AM    Msg. 15 of 26       

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 02:00 AM    Msg. 16 of 26       
these maps remind me of quake 3.
A LOT!!!

Dontu

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 10:48 AM    Msg. 17 of 26       
Thanks for the feedback and help. I was also hoping people could post what they think is good or bad for gameplay as well as what is fun to do/use or what is not.

Koo294

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 11:16 AM    Msg. 18 of 26       
Thanks for the feedback and help. I was also hoping people could post what they think is good or bad for gameplay as well as what is fun to do/use or what is not.

Did you change the exception thing? cos it still happens, and i can't really post gameplay ideas if i can't play without exceptioning. :/
btw, bsps are awesome, weapons all seem good but could do with better anims.

Dontu

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 11:24 AM    Msg. 19 of 26       
If it still causes a problem, Im sorry I recompiled the sound tag and from a brand new source file. I also tested it on three different computers, all with different sound cards :( . Im sorry its still a problem maybe try turning sound detail to its lowest setting. If you could describe in more detail what you think of the animations that would be great.
Edited by Dontu on Aug 3, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Dontu

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 11:38 AM    Msg. 20 of 26       
A new promotional vid is up on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11vMnRaGus

shadowslayer123

Not the american average

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 01:40 PM    Msg. 21 of 26       
just a question, would you like me to rig this footsoldier for you, i can make him do team colors:

ignore the arms and feet, he still needs rigged.

Dennis

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 02:44 PM    Msg. 22 of 26       
Halo CE Updates (and some UT3 news too)
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=30480

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 04:08 PM    Msg. 23 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Halo CE Updates (and some UT3 news too)
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=30480

SO YOU DO CARE LESSTHANTHREE

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 10:16 PM    Msg. 24 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: shadowslayer123
just a question, would you like me to rig this footsoldier for you, i can make him do team colors

ignore the arms and feet, he still needs rigged.

Dontu - please say yes

Dontu

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 10:37 AM    Msg. 25 of 26       
It would be great if there could be a custom biped for the mod. However if you are going to rip things from Age of Chivalry, just rip the crusader model, Its better because it is faceless. I am somewhat against having a character with a face in a mod like this. I would feel the need to create more than one permutation for the face. Thats again Dennis for helping get the word out about the mod.

Dennis

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 02:26 PM    Msg. 26 of 26       
Thats again Dennis for helping get the word out about the mod.
No problem at all. I always try to advertize a mod or interesting map once it is released and this one was quite interesting in the way you made the enviroments fit the theme of the melee style play.

Too often people want me to make a big deal about some work in progress the never gets finished. My father always told me" Don't tell people what you are going to do; show them what you did!"

This mod is fun, even though I always sucked at melee

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 20, 2020 10:40 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website