A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 1 of 43 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 43 · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 1 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 08:57 PM    Msg. 1 of 1498       
Alrighty then. This map is my first, but I encourage honest feedback. Pictures will be up soon (having problems with Windows right now) but the map hasn’t left the modeling stage yet, and won’t be leaving it anytime soon. Map name is Requiem, but other name suggestions are welcome (if they have been used before, I will NOT take them). Here’s some history:

Extinction…on steroids. The concept and the Covie ship are the only things I have taken from Extinction thus far. Absolutely no BSP sections have been carried over. This is my own design, and the BSP as it currently is has been made entirely by me, except for some additions I took from the various campaign missions (to include several minor structures designed to break up the monotony of my design). Other than that, you’re looking at a completely new BSP here…one that I hope you all will like.

Concept here is defined as the following: a large map cut roughly in half by a deep chasm. On one side is a downed Halcyon class cruiser, and the other one is home to a downed Covie cruiser. Various equipment lies scattered throughout the map. Covie is red, humans are blue, and vehicles and weapons are (roughly) constrained to their respective sides. Other than that, everything else is pretty much my idea.

Here’s what’s different from Extinction, aside from the BSP:

Weapons: every included weapon will be subjected to a relatively intense balance testing to ensure its inclusion will not favor any one side (or if it does, then it must have an opposing equivalent). Each weapon has been assigned realistic (somewhat) damage values, ROF, blah blah blah, to ensure that you can’t really cream with one weapon, but I’m sure it’s still possible. Like the SMG in Extinction currently owns nearly everything at close to medium range. Wrong. The snipers all have AOE and topple vehicles. WRONG. The beam rifle has a short as hell lifespan. Wrong. You get the picture. Based on the current inclusion list, there is a decently matched palette of weapons from both sides to choose from.

No, there are no plans to include C4 or Andy (Assault Bomb). They caused problems for a lot of players I knew (including myself) when handling weapons, and prevent flag pickup (probably Oddball pickup, too). Plus all the time it takes to switch weapons with them. Too much trouble, considering they only serve as a close equivalent of COD’s martyrdom BS. Standard grenades aside form that, and a ‘cleaner’ selection, meaning there aren’t five different snipers to choose from.

Vehicles: same as weapons, vehicles are subjected to similar testing. I also edit them for improved handling and credibility. The hnmp Hornet is an example. I have plans to change its physics from that of a Banshee to that of a Pelican, a better candidate for a Hornet’s profile. You may have noticed by now that the Phantom in Extinction currently holds the distinction of being the crappiest, nastiest, and dumbest vehicle to fly into combat. That will change. The Seraph is up there, too, and will experience a similar overhaul to match up nicely with the jet. Likewise, human vehicles will undergo downgrades to prevent excessive noobery (Longsword nuke, anyone?).

The current plan calls for a less than clean selection, to add some variety to vehicle combat. Several types of hogs will be there, as well as different Ghost variants for the split-chins. The mythos will not be included because it causes exception data, unnecessary noobery, and lags every server I’ve been on. The Scarab will be tweaked to be better, and vulnerable to specific types of weapons. Basically, everything is receiving a little modification (except the Phantom, which is in dire need of a major overhaul).

Scenery and Design: Like Extinction, Requiem has only one main form of crossing sides: a bridge. But there the similarities stop. I made two bridges, inspired by b40, that span the chasm. Each bridge is connected to a Forerunner ‘camp’ (an encampment with various objects surrounded by walls). The bridges are spaced out such that a large structure that acts as the main support mechanism for the bridges can fit in. This structure supports the bridges via energy ropes, as in b40 and Gephyrophobia. Sections of the wall are destroyed, allowing access to other portions on the outside of the encampment.

This is the basis of a new concept: the Minimap (minimap…minimap…minimap…echo…). Oddball, Race, and King of the Hill will be played here, because this minimap is much smaller and is thus better suited to the above variants, which tend to work best in smaller situations. CTF and Slayer will be played in the entire map area.

Keen observers will note (as soon as I post some pictures) that I have taken some scenery from Bungie’s b40; good for you. I did get a lot of scenery (not scenery tags, mind you, just BSP chunks) from the campaigns, but mostly from b40. I needed objects to break up the flatness of my current designs. I also needed some Forerunner tech present. What I found in b40 fit quite nicely. Other scenery items (not tags) I made myself, though most had some source of inspiration, some from Halo 2, some from Halo 3.

I think that about sums it up. If any of you out there see something that looks like it was yours, or looks inspired/influenced/modded from your design, kindly point it out to me. I’m not looking to infringe on anybody’s designs here. In case it was apparent from what I’ve been talking about above, I’m looking for ideas/suggestions/constructive criticism. The operative word there being constructive. That does NOT mean you flame me for lack of originality, plagiarism, or whatever charge you put up against me. What it means is that you point it out in a way that is not necessarily positive, but not insulting or degrading. You’re only asking for an off-topic debate.

Lastly, if you reply with wretched, massacred grammar, butchered English, and dozens of textese responses (‘lol’, ‘omg’, ‘rofl’, etc) or emoticons, I will not even begin to attempt to decipher your message, so your reply will be ignored unless someone else wants to take time out of their day to translate YOUR horrible grammar and total lack of common sense into an intelligible expression.

To those who reply with your own two cents, many thanks for your input. I will do my best to incorporate changes. Note that not all changes/ideas can be incorporated, but special attention will be given to popular changes (i.e. several people believe such a change would be beneficial). @Dennis: if this thread is incorrectly placed, I will take the necessary steps to rectify any problem(s).

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 09:11 PM    Msg. 2 of 1498       
Wow, this sounds amazing. I always thought Extinction was a little too plain. I'd be glad to help you, if you need someone to populate or donate tags.

I think you should modify the Hornet to take the place of the Jets. It would fit in better with the theme of the level. Or if you have other plans for it, I have models for the Sparrowhawk. They need a pretty massive overhaul in terms of handling, but I'm sure you could salvage them.
Edited by Echo77 on Aug 21, 2010 at 09:14 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 09:20 PM    Msg. 3 of 1498       
First of all, Extinction is a terrible map. Thats mostly becuase its too big. You may find shooting each other down in pelicans and jets fun, but thats not real gameplay and thats why we have Flight Simulator.

Second of all, if you continue to work on this map, make it look better. Extinction looked horrible (and still does~) If you have a bsp in the works, show us so we can criticize that please.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 09:25 PM    Msg. 4 of 1498       
@Echo:

Populating, perhaps. Tags, more than likely. After I build my map (as in construct the scenario), I will finish modifying all the tags planned for inclusion, mostly vehicles and weapons. Once done, I'm only placing those tags, a few of each, for testing purposes, so I can determine what vehicle/weapon is too powerful, too weak, etc, before I populate the map with scenery items. I will also fly/drive/walk around the map and look for bad triangles, poor map design (like sharp hills that flip hogs, things like that). You're welcome to participate in that testing.

@Higuy:

Yes, I am well aware of Extinction's lack of credibility. I have taken great pains to ensure my BSP is not only something fun to play in, but something cool to see. Once I get my snapshots working, I'll get you guys some pictures. Just know that the bSP is COMPLETELY new, and roughly twice the area of Extinction, though I am working to shrink it to something about the size of extinction, if not smaller.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 09:28 PM    Msg. 5 of 1498       
•Extinction is the third most downloaded map of all time. While it has its flaws, it must have gotten something right.
•Shooting down airplanes is fun. Especially when you do it with an Anti-Tank Rifle. >:D

But yeah, making it look better would definitely improve the map overall. Extinction was too bland.
Edited by Echo77 on Aug 21, 2010 at 09:38 PM

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 09:59 PM    Msg. 6 of 1498       
Ok, I got around my laziness and forced windows to cooperate. Below is the URL to the imageshack hosted album, for those with problems viewing the thumbnails.

http://img826.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bluepoa.png

Below are thumbnails of my images:

Minimap (note that I've only made blue side, and I haven't finished UVWing it).

Close up. A human themed base occupies the rear, a destroyed/sunk section occupies the center, a downed Spirit lies on the outside of the wall (the Spirit will be released as a variation of the crashed spirit tag), several Forerunner-esque structures are scattered about to provide cover and thematic scenery, and the blue chunks in the walls represent portions that are destroyed and will be broken down and relocated. The green object towards the bottom of the screen is a standard Warthog. All in all, the total area is roughly equal to that of BG.

Requiem. Teal object is the Sentinel Wall, and will be smoothly integrated with the main map. You should recognize the gray things. Note the chasm and and steep exterior cliffs. The map will be smoother than it appears; the lighting in gmax is messed up for some reason. Too bright.

Requiem, back view. Note the large hole connecting the exterior cliffs to the interior chasm.

Requiem, close up. The reddish blurb in the center is Battle Creek. Yes, I know my map is huge, but I'm working on scaling it down.

Crashed Halcyon-class cruiser. Note the deformities and other damage inflicted upon it. Also note the trench it dug out during its descent.

Crashed Covie cruiser. Same as the POA, it dug out a nice trench while crashing, and has likewise sustained structural damage.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 10:11 PM    Msg. 7 of 1498       
Please learn how to properly model/uvw things first, and then try again. Not trying to be mean, but the models look pretty crappy and could be much improved.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 10:17 PM    Msg. 8 of 1498       
I know how to properly model and UVW, I'm not that great at the UVWing, but I'm a quick study. I applied a UVW to the minimap, then realized that comes last, and deleted it (after some edits). The mapping coordinates and applied materials are baked in, so I just have to deal with it. The actual UVW will look much, much better. I keep the materials as they are so I (and now you) can easily discern between different IDs and areas.

As for the modeling, I have to draw a fine line between making something look nice and smooth with lots of polys and laggy as hell on multiplayer. I prefer to walk on the 'multiplayer-optimized' side of the fence. Nevertheless, if you see something in particular that looks off, please point it out. It could be something I've overlooked, or something I haven't gotten around to fixing yet, or something that will remain as-is.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 10:24 PM    Msg. 9 of 1498       
*Dies of an Aneurism*

So... epic!

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 10:35 PM    Msg. 10 of 1498       
Um... There is a fine line between modeling terrain and using the paint deformation tool in 3ds.

First of all, what you've created does not look like dessert terrain one bit. Go to google, type in the Grand Canyon or something, since Extinction is based in a canyon, and desert's aren't normally "rocky" per se.

since you've been going back to the original models and such, I suggest going back and looking at the actual terrain and finding out how it was built. Those maps weren't built off of box maps and using soft selection.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 11:00 PM    Msg. 11 of 1498       
Whoa now, I don't have 3ds, and am not ready to start the trial (I want to capitalize my license time). For now, I have gmax. If there is a paint deformation tool in there, I'll have to check it out. I've tried using blender, but can't figure its UI out for the life of me. And I completely agree with your assessment on my terrain. Yes, much of it doesn't look 'natural'. I've wrestled with that for months. I could always make it better, and I really want to. I have plans to fix the cliffs and roll them a bit more, and add in some rocks and whatnot midway, but I've been preoccupied with the minimap.

Lastly, I'm already pushing limits with my vertex count (I know tool takes in 90,000 or so, but that doesn't mean an average computer will be able to run it smoothly). I will put more weight on your assessment and look at overhauling options.

*Oh, I'm not planning on releasing this as a desert. I'm going for grasslands or something around that.

Ro0ster

is a rooster

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 11:11 PM    Msg. 12 of 1498       
@Higuy: Hes using gmax and I don't believe it has the paint deformation tool (I being a gmax user), so that must be a heightmap or something.

@CAG Gonzo: That wall in the back doesn't look very good. Make it look forerunner. I've never modeled forerunner but Im sure someone could give you some pointers on forerunner modeling. Also the cliff in the middle needs to look more varied. It seems like a straight line right now. And the whole thing(island?) might be better if it wasnt so much shaped like a big square. And by the looks of those hills, driving a Warthog might be difficult and not to mention a long ride.

Can we get a wireframe?

Architect of Halo

Justice for all

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 11:17 PM    Msg. 13 of 1498       
I like the sentinel wall.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 11:22 PM    Msg. 14 of 1498       
Alright, wireframes. Don't bother telling me I have a bajillion polys on my main map; I'm well aware of that. I discovered more modeling techniques when I made the minimap, plus I optimized it myself, so the minimap looks much more poly-conservative than my map does.

Album:

http://img651.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture1tff.png

Minimap:

Main:

As I said, these models are nowhere near completion.

@Ro0ster: to which wall are you referring? The teal Sentinel Wall in the main map, or the wall surrounding the encampment in the minimap?

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 11:46 PM    Msg. 15 of 1498       
that is way to high poly, just going to say, good luck getting that in game.

Ro0ster

is a rooster

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 11:57 PM    Msg. 16 of 1498       
Yeah the teal thing.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 12:21 AM    Msg. 17 of 1498       
Be sure to include some form of anti-armor rifle. Maps this large are generally centered around vehiclular combat, and infantry will need the proper equipment to deal with such threats. The Covenant will also need some form of long-range anti-vehicle weapon, although I'm not sure what you could use.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 12:25 AM    Msg. 18 of 1498       
wooo. i like that fact that now the ships actually look like they've crashed and the grass lands look is very nice. the sentinel wall could use a liitle more detail and u gotta lower the poly count too. once this is done this will be another nice map.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 01:35 AM    Msg. 19 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: IcePhoenix
Don't put in hornets.
You know why Extinction had no banshees? You know why they were replaced by seraphs? They were WAY too slow. And hornets are even slower.
Btw the covie "cruiser" is actually an Assault Carrier.
oh and btw are you gonna add those giant covie gun turrets (they were actually usable in extinction, you know, too bad it was nearly impossible to get in)? if yes make some ladder to go up or something, either way, make them enterable without incredible luck.

He can modify the speed of the Hornets, the same way Extinction used super fast Warthogs.

It's a CCS-Battlecruiser, seeing as how the nose is less bulbous than an Assault Carrier. But it seems to lack the fins found on most ships of the CSS-class, so it may be a custom variant.

The Gun Turrets are easy to get in. You enter through the underside of the rear leg.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 01:44 AM    Msg. 20 of 1498       
yea the leg. and instead of hornets you should use hawks. like in halowars. they're faster and cooler looking that hornets.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 01:54 AM    Msg. 21 of 1498       
1. high poly.
2. paint and soft selectioned bsps suck.
3. desserts dont look like that.
4. I dun like extinction

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 01:58 AM    Msg. 22 of 1498       
its not a desert. he said he's going for a grasslands type of map

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 02:05 AM    Msg. 23 of 1498       
another thing: i noticed the primary weapon of the seraph in extinction (ie. covie gun turret lasers) converges too close to do any good damage to other vehicles at combat ranges normally seen in extinction, and the same goes for its secondary weapon, the plasma charges. The projectile for its primary weapons are also too slow.
also, the error for the seraphs's weapons is ridiculously large for a spacefighter and for a vehicle in such a map, making it pretty hard to hit flying stuff, and i find it useful only against ground vehicles and personnel, that at close range or low ping.

hjm65

Oyashiro-sama is going to get you

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 02:05 AM    Msg. 24 of 1498       
Looks zexy so far. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to play this soon.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 02:07 AM    Msg. 25 of 1498       
yea same here.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 02:45 AM    Msg. 26 of 1498       
you go underneath the rear lag and you'll get the message.

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 09:50 AM    Msg. 27 of 1498       
do I take the tele up to the raised platform from the ground?

Just find any way to get onto the platform the gun turret is on, and walk around the legs until you see the message telling you to "Press E to enter gun turret" or something.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 09:51 AM    Msg. 28 of 1498       
Minimap should be released separate.
The main map is a good concept, but needs some better tuning in 3ds Max, with smoothing the terrain, making the ground a bit more flat, and emphasizing the actual cliffs more.
Needs a huge optimizing.
I do like the modification of the ships.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 10:44 AM    Msg. 29 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
you go underneath the rear lag and you'll get the message.

do I take the tele up to the raised platform from the ground?

yea. what wer you doing before? lol. but any way onto the raised platform is ok.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 10:52 AM    Msg. 30 of 1498       
@Ro0ster: that's the Sentinel Wall. I know the Halo 2 model is vastly different, but I do have plans to add in some more detail closer to ground level. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

@Echo77: as of now, I have plans to carry over two snipers for the humans: a Halo 3, general purpose, and a specialized anti-vehicle model (I haven't selected the model, but am looking at CMT's Snowgrove variant, among others). THe Covie's get the Extinction beam rifle, BUT, it will be modified into a general purpose variant where the shots actually travel across the map, and an anti-vehicle variant.

@darkassassin14: the main map sucks in terms of smoothness and poly count. I'm overhauling that later. Sentinel Wall will also get some more detail.

@IcePheonix: too bad. I have plans to put in Hornets, but of course their speed will be amped. I also have plans for a custom-made Banshee, again, speed-amped. And as far as I can tell, the Covie cruiser is not any real variant...just a mix between an Assault Carrier and Battle Cruiser. The turrets will be available, but will remain as accessible as they currently are (in terms of seat position). I will provide easy access to the turrets, and they will probably just be placed directly on the field.

@darkassassin14 (again): I don't have plans to put the Hawk in. I saw it in RPG-Beta 6.2 and didn't really like it. It needs much improvement, and right now, I'm not willing to invest my time in improving it when the Hornet is basically the way I want it now, aside form speed and other minor details.

@Hydrogen: 1) I know it's high poly. I'm already going to fix it. Pictures will come once that's done, but that ain't going to be for quite some time, since I start college this coming Monday (tomorrow). 2) Again, I know. I have gmax. I don't have the option to use a paint deformation tool. I have soft selection and my ingenuity. We'll see if that's enough to compensate. 3) It's not a desert. Try grasslands. 4) That's too bad for you. It can be a great map to play in, all of its major pitfalls aside.

@sargejohnson: Glad you brought that up. THe Seraph will for now receive only error adjustments (spread/accuracy) for its main weapon. I'll amp the projectiles speed though. THe secondary weapon has been swapped for homing fuel rods, to counter the jets homing Sidewinders. And of course, most weapons will not be able to one-shot-down Seraphs or jets, making them viable combat options for players, instead of merely quick transports.

@hjm65: Sorry to disappoint everyone, but this map won't be done for quite some time. I have college to worry about, among other things, but I do spend more time on this map than I do on anything else in my free time. I will not even attempt to make an estimate. But thank you for your comment.

@IcePheonix: the Coldsnap jet will be included, tweaked to have homing missiles, making it a cross between the Coldsnap (jet_v2) and Extinction (mjet) variants.

@ASP_GRUNTS: yes, I know the main BSP looks awful. Close up, it actually looks quite nice, but in its current state is a horrible waste of polys. I have not even attempted to optimize it yet. My first goal was getting the shape I wanted; the optimization comes close to the end. And I have also gone through great pains to make the BSP something that looks good (haven't finished it yet) yet plays nicely with most computers' graphics processors and whatnot. It is a very fine line to walk, and I usually go with the 'use less polys because no one is really going to care all that much if they aren't there, but they'll be happy to play smoothly' route.

@MooseGuy: I don't have 3ds max. See above posts and comments. Also, the lighting is off, so you can see a 'patchwork' on the BSP, and it makes it look less smooth than it really is. The cliffs are overemphasized, in my opinion, but I will address those issues when I return to working on the main map. Right now, I'm working on the minimap.

I thought about releasing it separately, but I want all variants to be playable on Requiem, and if I don't include this minimap, then 1), I lose some of the detail, storyline, and fields that I want for this map, and 2) KOTH, Oddball, and Race would be no fun in the huge expanse of a map this is. Try playing KOTH on Extinction. By the time you get there, the hill switches.

Let me say this now: I am well aware of the lack of smoothness and authenticity in the main BSP. Please do not bring that up anymore. I will ensure that gets fixed. If you see specific spots that look really weird or something, point that out if you will, but I get that the main BSP is too rough and inaccurate.

The mimimap is, in my opinion, about as good as it's going to get. It looks like a square because it will be blended in to the main BSP later. I made it square so it'd be easier to blend. The lack of variety in the cliffs and surrounding hills is an effort to reduce the number of polys while still maintaining a degree of credibility. Look at how Bungie made their cliffs. They use about the same number of polys as me, if not less, and their cliffs look pretty good.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 11:08 AM    Msg. 31 of 1498       
you've sorta inspired me to fix the original extinction bsp. i'll get on that right now.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 01:44 PM    Msg. 32 of 1498       
Maybe you could use a purple Beam Rifle for general sniping, and a red one for Anti-Armor. But the red one overheats after each shot. The Human's Anti-Armor rifle should also have a single shot per clip.

The Longsword should be revamped. Mainly because its comparable to shooting at a cardboard box. The primary fire should be dual autocannons, and the secondary is homing Sidewinder missiles.
Edited by Echo77 on Aug 22, 2010 at 01:48 PM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 02:05 PM    Msg. 33 of 1498       
the thing is that in its tag form its called a fightbomber so it has to have a bomb. just not a nuke.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 02:11 PM    Msg. 34 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
the thing is that in its tag form its called a fightbomber so it has to have a bomb. just not a nuke.

While canonically they are equipped with ordnance pods, they also feature a multitude of other weaponry.

110mm Rotary Cannons
120mm Ventral Guns
ASGM-10 Missiles (4)
Shiva-class Nuclear Missile (1)
Moray Space Mine system (36)
Ordnance Pods

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 04:08 PM    Msg. 35 of 1498       
yes i no this but they dont always have the shiva nukes. so the mines should replace the nuke, the missiles can stay, and you could add the rotary cannons.

Page 1 of 43 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 43 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 18, 2019 9:42 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website