A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 4 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 4 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 09:18 PM    Msg. 106 of 1498       
Just a heads up:

You may want to kill yourself when trying to get this ingame.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 09:43 PM    Msg. 107 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Looks like green it is. Should be a simple hue change of the bitmap right (famous last words...)...I'll see what I can do about the high-caliber epicness you're looking for.

I'll try and make it rechargeable (with Duracell Ultras).

You could simply take a Covie Carbine's projectile, toy with the damage, velocity, and impact force. Voila, epic shoop.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to make a weapon regenerate ammo over time. But if you decide to do that, make it regenerate very slowly. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to give this feature to the heavier weapons, though. The last thing we need is some maniac with his Fuel Rod Cannon plugged into the nearest electrical socket. >:P

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 11:01 PM    Msg. 108 of 1498       
Ahahahaha good one. I could see that being the first thing to be noobed to death on my map on the very first game it hosts, before I even release it from the beta stage...ugh. Oh, and yes, I'll probably die several times in the process of making this map, which only seems to be getting longer with each step I take.

Echo77, do you have a particular Carbine projectile in mind, i.e. point me to the map to rip it from? At the moment, I think I only have two Carbines: one from a rather lame Halo 3 Mombasa map (CityscapeXxX I think?) and the other from CMT SPv2. I could do that, but I think it should be a thicker shot, since it is designed to send a lot of energy downrange.

Yes, it will regenerate, if I can figure out how, but it certainly will be very slow. But now that I think about it, the whole concept is kind of flawed; this makes that weapon infinitely useful. Simply wait for a little, and you can get some ammo instantly, albeit for a few shots at a time, but it's practically infinite. Everyone else has to find ammo, but this weapon wouldn't require it, which would make it over-camp-able. I'll look at the battery concept instead.

By the way, there is a new map (forgot the name at the moment) and it has a Fuel Rod that I absolutely LOVE. It's the stock model, animations, etc, but the shot has no arc (that I could see), and it has two stages: first stage is a slower acceleration it seems, and it brings with it a nice sound. Then it bursts briefly and appears to accelerate further, much like it does in Halo 2, but cooler if you ask me. That will be the Covenant counterpart to the Spartan Laser, which, by the way, I need to decide upon. It's down to the CMT SPv2 or Sandtrap model.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 11:10 PM    Msg. 109 of 1498       
*Screams like an eager fangirl* Use the CMT Carbine rounds! Classic CMT, woot woot!

I guess I see your point with the regenerative ammo. You may be onto something with the battery packs, however.... Just have the Plasma weapons be reloadable.

Example: The Plasma Rifle would, by default, have only a single magazine. It would not be capable of holding any in reserve. But should you stumble upon a battery pack, your ammo would be restored to full charge.

(Covenant Blaster Pack, Bottom-Right.)

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 08:22 AM    Msg. 110 of 1498       
Map needs a great deal of optimization, all those tris could lag the game, and it will look the same ingame with half as many tris.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 08:35 AM    Msg. 111 of 1498       
What mooseguy said. You should probably make much of the things on the map scenery items to avoid difficulties that you will face in the future when it comes to the BSP.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 10:17 PM    Msg. 112 of 1498       
1) I've already optimized the hell out of it, and as you can see, it still could be optimized further. I will not do much more optimization to the cliffs and hills; they'll start looking to jagged. As for the flat surfaces, some of those 'extra' polys are there because of dents and damage. I can't really fix that unless I remove the damage.

2) Speaking of damage, I know what you mean when you say I should take some of the repeated objects and make them scenery items. I agree completely, but here's the thing:

• You will notice that some of those 'rung' structures are not wireframed in the above pictures. Those are scenery items.

• Some of said rungs are wireframed; they are polys. They are polys so they can be bent and deformed without the need to make a new scenery object.

• You will notice that many of the other repeated objects are polys. Again, this is so I can deform them. Perhaps I will detach some as scenery tags, but the deformed ones, in my mind, will be better off attached. Besides, unless I'm mistaking, at this point, it won't make that much of a difference whether or not those items are attached or not. I think I'll do that for the things I have on the bridges, since most of those aren't deformed, and are used a lot.

@Echo77: I like the concept, but the colors should be more...Covenant-ish. More purples and whatnot. But the way I see it, the battery needs to be pretty small (so it looks like it'd fit in a Covenant weapon), and not too complex, probably nothing more than 6 faces. OOORRRR....

I could make it a recharge station, so it's larger and more visible, and would be more feasible to apply to various Covenant tech (so one battery doesn't end up being compatible with every weapon).

Officer egg

Dancing is forbidden.

Posted: Sep 15, 2010 09:20 PM    Msg. 113 of 1498       
This reminds me of extincton2, good times. I love love love extinction, it's very laid back and suits my favored style of gameplay. I still have my extinction2 scenarios...hmm.

Anyway, this looks great, and sounds fun. Best of luck, man. I loves the sentinel wall <3

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 16, 2010 11:02 AM    Msg. 114 of 1498       
Extinction2? And hopefully Requiem will provide similar feelings of enjoyment. I appreciate your enthusiasm about my project.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Sep 17, 2010 05:24 AM    Msg. 115 of 1498       
Extinction 2? Lol, should've released it, man .
Anyways, any progress on texturing? I hope this turns out well.

Officer egg

Dancing is forbidden.

Posted: Sep 17, 2010 06:20 PM    Msg. 116 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Extinction2? And hopefully Requiem will provide similar feelings of enjoyment. I appreciate your enthusiasm about my project.

Ah, it was an old project of mine. I did a lot of modifications on extinction, a lot of them are pretty cool actually. I just had a hard time not getting out of hand with new tags and stuff, and I found it hard to balance everything out. It got kind of messy. But some patching up is all it needs...

No problem man.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 17, 2010 11:20 PM    Msg. 117 of 1498       
i actually think i still have a beta of extinction2 lol. i could try and balance it for you. but i will need any new tags that you may have wanted to put in. CMT tags? maybe? and that scarab still needed to be crouched a little further and slower.

ODST72

Where's the rest of your platoon?

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 06:31 AM    Msg. 118 of 1498       
this looks really cool id beta test it if i could

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 09:47 AM    Msg. 119 of 1498       
everyone wants to beta test lol.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 08:34 PM    Msg. 120 of 1498       
Yes, I may release a beta to some of you all. The initial beta needs players with certain skillsets, so I can work out specific, possibly major, kinks first, then I'll open it up to more, general players for broad-range testing. Those interested should PM me with your skillset (i.e. good at stunts, so I can find glitches, poor collision, or camp/noob holes; good with ground-based ops, so you can figure out how to get from point A to B covertly or something; air ops, for the same reason; so on, so forth). The initial will only go out to like 20 people.

Extinction2? I believe a look is in order. I'd like to see what was changed. Maybe get some ideas. Speaking of ideas, those who have played the level Halo from Halo 3, remember the huge chasm to the left of the Control Room 'temple', filled with Forerunner tech? I'm going to design something similar to that. Basically an opening that gives you a peak into Halo's inner core, but won't let you play around in it. Stuff like that, things and designs that serve little purpose other than eye-candy, really bring together a map. I look for things like that in every map I play, and if they're there, it really makes the map that much more legitimate and fun to play in.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 21, 2010 12:23 PM    Msg. 121 of 1498       
cool.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 10:38 AM    Msg. 122 of 1498       
Yeah so I've encountered a little snag here. I'm basically done with the minimap, and started to revisit the main map. Well, in an effort to reduce the polys via the Optimize modifier, I discovered that in order to optimize AND make the map look good, I would have to a major overhaul of the entire map. That instantly took away all my motivation. I thought I could take certain chunks of the map, and reconstruct the rest from scratch, but that may prove to difficult and inefficient. I'm probably going to simply build the whole thing from the ground up, because right now, the cliffs, hills, and about everything else looks awful, and I'm not about to go through some 30,000 vertices and weld the extras. I already lost all of them when I set the Optimize modifier in concrete. Probably not the best of ideas.

Oh well. I kinda wanted to redesign it anyway, since it's too big and I can't really scale it down any more without doing some serious overhauling to get everything to fit nicely.

Well hey, look at this: http://img844.imageshack.us/i/picture1zfg.png/

Piece of crud map that represented the first build of Requiem, called Deathlock back then (because I had no name creativity). Look at how awful it is. My eyes bleed just by looking at it, and I use to consider that pretty good back then. My how I have changed...

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 11:58 AM    Msg. 123 of 1498       
just move that cliff hill thing closer to the chasm and then add some little more variation to the flat areas. then use the paint deformation relax tool to smooth out everything else. see if you can still add the mini-map. if not then release the mini-map as a separate map.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 12:32 PM    Msg. 124 of 1498       
Clarify: where is the paint deformation tool in gmax? I'm too poor to afford 3ds max, and am not willing to activate a trial until I know I can dedicate enough time to make good use of it. I don't recall there being a paint deformation tool in gmax. I have soft selection, and I use that, but I have too many polys in the current build, and I need to turn a lot of edges so the hills are smoother.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 12:53 PM    Msg. 125 of 1498       
o yeah that's right you're using gmax. well when you convert the map to editable poly under "subdivide" there's the mesh smooth button and you can seperate what you wanna smooth by smoothing group or by materiali would select the faces that make individual hills seperately and make each one a different smoothing group. this way you can smooth them in different ways.

Ninjadude

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 03:45 PM    Msg. 126 of 1498       
Keeping an eye on this.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 03:50 PM    Msg. 127 of 1498       
lol ok. oh you can optimize the map by deleting faces and creating new ones. like for every four you delete create one. it'll take some time but it'll work

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 05:46 PM    Msg. 128 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
o yeah that's right you're using gmax. well when you convert the map to editable poly under "subdivide" there's the mesh smooth button and you can seperate what you wanna smooth by smoothing group or by materiali would select the faces that make individual hills seperately and make each one a different smoothing group. this way you can smooth them in different ways.
Darn, this is the cheap way.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 08:38 PM    Msg. 129 of 1498       
Yeah. Actually, scratch-building looks like it'll make it quicker anyway, since the scale of everything was off. I didn't like how big my map was, since the tiny size of Extinction is enough to create clipping problems. Speaking of size, tell me what you think of the scales: as best I can tell, Extinction is the size it should be, I scaled the Assault Carrier up, and the green thing is my map. The gray thing in the center of that is the minimap, and the teal object is the Sentinel Wall. Tell me if you think the scale of everything is good, or if it needs adjusting.

http://img706.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20100922at832.png/

Obviously, I will edit the size of the Sentinel Wall so it doesn't jut out of the map. I'm going to get the scale SOLIDIFIED early on, so speak now or forever hold your peace. I'd really rather not tinker with the scale after this so I can focus on actually making progress, instead of moving verts around for a minute and lamenting over the sheer size of the map.

EDIT: the POA will be roughly the same size it is in the Extinction BSP, but I'm sourcing it from my previous build, which was sourced from d40. Overall, it will be like, I don't know, 100 or so meters shorter in game then the POA you see up there. Also, the Assault Carrier is replacing the semi-Assault Carrier I sourced from Extinction (and subsequently modified) that I have in my previous build. It will be deformed and crashed, so tell me if you think it's too big. I tried to get it around 5.346 km long (according to Halopedia), but the scales in gmax suck, so I'm pretty much in the dark. It says MC is 5'10", or 1.787m tall, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect.
Edited by CAG Gonzo on Sep 22, 2010 at 08:42 PM

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 08:51 PM    Msg. 130 of 1498       
Good, you'll fix the scale :)

It's okay if the assault carrier is kind of jutting off the map, as long as the area around it is blocked off to some extent, so people don't go hiding in the deepest crevice of the map. Is it going to be hanging between two cliffs, or is it going to be on the ground?

MC is 7ft btw.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 08:55 PM    Msg. 131 of 1498       
The Carrier will go in about the same spot the semi-Carrier was in my previous build: not too far in to the upper left corner of the map, on the ground, mangled and deformed. I will mold the hills around the base so people can't go getting stuck or hide in the many crevices that will be produced when the Carrier meets the ground.

Yes MC is ~7ft, but gmax doesn't want to tell me that. I directly imported the stock gbxmodel with The Ghost's script, and that's the size it shows, using feet under the Units Setup dialog.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 09:12 PM    Msg. 132 of 1498       
I see. Not a bad idea to mold the hills.

Either the importer messes up the scales, gmax messes up the scales, or Halo has a messed up scale.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 09:16 PM    Msg. 133 of 1498       
Or all of the above...I think the game engine has same factor it uses to scale up models to the known value, which is unfortunate for those desiring to get a realistic sense of scale. Either that, or gmax messes up the scales, which is probably the most likely cause, since I can't remember when I ever had something that looked right in terms of scale. All I know is that if I scale something off of any model I import with the script, it looks about right in game, even if gmax can't list the correct dimensions.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 09:19 PM    Msg. 134 of 1498       
o well lol. that's a nice scale. try and keep the hangar from extinction and add a hangar to the assault carrier. i have a hangar if you want it. make it low poly from the beginning and tessellate when you need to to avoid what happened with the previous build.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 09:30 PM    Msg. 135 of 1498       
The extinction hangar is horrible. It makes no sense how a starfighter or a jet can simply run out of a hangar without a runway.

Pics of your hangar asap.

I don't think it matters about the scale too much, as long as it's scaled uniformly. You just need to make sure that it is to Halo's scale, and then you'll be alright
Edited by AGLion on Sep 22, 2010 at 09:31 PM

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 09:36 PM    Msg. 136 of 1498       
AGLion, no worries. I may include a hanger in the POA for old time's sake, but I certainly have no plans on making it the main base of blue team. I will be making a legit base: it will have my own runways with actual taxiways (for you RPG lovers out there, myself included in this case), and will be combined with some Forerunner tech, including a custom beam emitter similar to the ones from a30, and influenced from them and other sketches of Forerunner structures I've seen on the internet. There will also be a few human buildings, including the outpost I posted on this site a month ago (search for 'human outpost'). Lastly, some Forerunner buildings, probably built into the hills, will serve as makeshift hangers; however, that concept may be terminated.

The Covenant will not get quite as an awesome base, but I'll try to get it up to par. Obviously they won't have a need for landing pads or runways, but I'll think of something, which translates to 'some hills and rocks combined with some Covenant scenery items and whatnot'. If any of you guys have some Covenant tech I could use, I'd appreciate it, but don't reference it without some pictures.

Advancebo

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 09:50 PM    Msg. 137 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: AGLion

The extinction hangar is horrible. It makes no sense how a starfighter or a jet can simply run out of a hangar without a runway.

Pics of your hangar asap.

I don't think it matters about the scale too much, as long as it's scaled uniformly. You just need to make sure that it is to Halo's scale, and then you'll be alright
Edited by AGLion on Sep 22, 2010 at 09:31 PM

longswords and pelicans don't need runways.
its the future, it doesn't have to function like today.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 11:12 PM    Msg. 138 of 1498       
lol that's exactly what i was gonna say. the hangar i have is just the one from campaign but shortened and made more for multiplayer. i did this cuz i was gonna remake extinction with a covie hangar but gave up on the idea.

yayaplols

Cara bel, cara mia bella! Mia bambina, oh ciel....

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 11:41 PM    Msg. 139 of 1498       
For the covie hanger, why not just make it similar to the one in halo: reach?

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Sep 23, 2010 12:18 AM    Msg. 140 of 1498       
o yeah. why not make it like the one in halo reach. [/sarcasm] here's why: no one has made it yet.

Page 4 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon August 19, 2019 9:21 AM 969 ms.
A Halo Maps Website