A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 43 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 36 · 37 · 38 · 39 · 40 · 41 · 42 · [43] · Prev
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 43 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

Ubergoober

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 03:35 PM    Msg. 1471 of 1498       
watch~ Zeitgeist: The Movie - 2007 by Peter Joseph

Blublaze94

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 06:06 PM    Msg. 1472 of 1498       
So, how much bigger is this map than Extinction? And will it use OpenSauce? If not, what is it's triangle count? (I may convert it to be in an xbox mappack if it's not too resource heavy)

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 06:33 PM    Msg. 1473 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Blublaze94
So, how much bigger is this map than Extinction? And will it use OpenSauce? If not, what is it's triangle count? (I may convert it to be in an xbox mappack if it's not too resource heavy)

It's going to be around 2500 km (according to 3ds Max). Poly count is not definite right now. I estimate ~70K. But as I am not making an actual map, just the BSP, it's hard to say what you're going to get. Someone could cut half the map off in their release. Another chap could add killer portals to make such a high count nearly negligible.

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 08:56 PM    Msg. 1474 of 1498       

It's on page 4 of this topic, scroll down to msg 129, I'd use a permalink to that direct post if I could, but I dunno if these forums actually have one :\

I highly doubt this will use OS, given the huge size of this map and the amount of coding required, but Gonzo can always clear things up for us.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 09:03 PM    Msg. 1475 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
It's going to be around 2500 km (according to 3ds Max).

2,500... kilometers? Isn't the original Extinction only like, five kilometers across? o_O

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 09:07 PM    Msg. 1476 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bottletopman

It's on page 4 of this topic, scroll down to msg 129, I'd use a permalink to that direct post if I could, but I dunno if these forums actually have one :\

I highly doubt this will use OS, given the huge size of this map and the amount of coding required, but Gonzo can always clear things up for us.

I have no plans to use OS simply because I have no idea how to use it. I was under the impression that one applied OS to the tag-side of things, like in/through Guerilla, Sapien, etc., not in changes made to the BSP while in 3ds Max. But I could be wrong. I certainly agree with using OS, so if anyone wants to use my BSP with OS, I'm a-ok with that.

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

2,500... kilometers? Isn't the original Extinction only like, five kilometers across? o_O

Nice catch. I was thinking 2500 meters but also got caught up in kilometers, as that's how I'm used to seeing waypoints on maps like these.

Echo77

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 09:12 PM    Msg. 1477 of 1498       

Nice catch. I was thinking 2500 meters but also got caught up in kilometers, as that's how I'm used to seeing waypoints on maps like these.

Ahh, 2,500 meters sounds more realistic. 2,500 kilometers would be like Oregon Trail, but with air strikes instead of dysentary.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 09:15 PM    Msg. 1478 of 1498       

Ahh, 2,500 meters sounds more realistic. 2,500 kilometers would be like Oregon Trail, but with air strikes instead of dysentary.

Do want. So tempting to drop into a massive, unrelenting scale-up fest to make this map so insanely huge your mind will explode. But you'll get quality air play in, including coordinating with your team to establish pilot, CSO, ABM, RPA, and other such roles, and using aircraft armed with enough ordnance to blow Halo up...thrice.

Echo77

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 09:19 PM    Msg. 1479 of 1498       

Do want. So tempting to drop into a massive, unrelenting scale-up fest to make this map so insanely huge your mind will explode. But you'll get quality air play in, including coordinating with your team to establish pilot, CSO, ABM, RPA, and other such roles, and using aircraft armed with enough ordnance to blow Halo up...thrice.

I like the sound of this, but I feel that ground vehicles should play an important role, as well, so that the map doesn't become entirely centered around aerial combat. Some self-propelled AA guns would be handy, methinks, but I'm sure vehicles and are pretty distant on the list of things to do.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 09:22 PM    Msg. 1480 of 1498       
Until I can turn this into a map myself, or I wind up working with someone who can, anything tag-related is no longer on the agenda. Unfortunate, as I had some great ideas, but my only goal right now is making a BSP that is ready to be processed through tool, save for portalling.

Kal

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 10:08 PM    Msg. 1481 of 1498       

I'd play that.

I would so play that.
Edited by Kal on Sep 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Blublaze94

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 11:11 PM    Msg. 1482 of 1498       
I was only needing to know in terms of conversion. But compiling it myself would be a lot easier. And all that simply because the xbox can only handle so much. It's only got 64mb of ram and if you got 30mb textures mapped then running on xbox will already be a no.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 09:33 PM    Msg. 1483 of 1498       
Updates:

I am basically done with blue addendum, aside from minor changes and, of course, mapping the darn thing. You will notice half of it is blue/horribly mapped while the other half gray. This is because the gray half is an instance, created to allow me to see how the whole addendum will look. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

http://postimg.org/gallery/6soq0gys/29d939da/

I'm feeling this is the final form for the addendum, more or less. The area will be merged with terrain and cliffs. Again, the openings in the ceiling are inspired from Hang 'em High. I originally wanted to stick with a simple exterior with only two spire structures that would hang over the ceiling openings, offering a nice view from within the addendum. But I have a soft spot for Forerunner walls, and so I copied and pasted the design to include more spires. The wall will offer more to view while providing a different way to add vertical cover and detail, breaking up the traditional cliff/valley range.

A side view of the outside, showing some of the detail I put on the exterior. I only put simple structures and insets here, knowing that this area is not a focal point of the map. I just needed something to break up the flat exterior.

Here you can see the outline of the interior. The chasm is not that deep and is relatively simple. It will feature fog and an energy conduit (running in the ditch). I was planning on putting more detail in the walls but decided against it, largely because I simply couldn't come up with anything I liked. The plus side is that I saved some polys.

Here's the entrance to the core of the addendum, now merged with the larger whole. I'm relatively pleased with the entrance, though I feel it is a bit forced and not all it could be. I may tweak it as ideas come to me. Chief is visible in the entrance. I'd say it's roughly 130% larger than the c10 swamp entrance.

A front shot of the entrance.

The rear of the addendum's core contains two c20 hallways (from the outer shaft); one will lead to blue base while the other will hint at structures below. As mentioned in an earlier post, blue base will be a modified version of Halo 4's Control BSP. The core hallway will let out to a smaller hallway (vehicle-friendly, possibly with a soldier-friendly alternate route) that will be semi-occluded by rocks and terrain in blue base, so no one can completely camp the entrance.

Blue base design will likely be next, as I am unmotivated to get started on mapping. The same thing happened to me with the minimap (which is basically done, too, but I haven't touched it because there is WAY too much to map).

Suggestions? Questions?

Bottletopman

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 02:15 AM    Msg. 1484 of 1498       
Do you already have in mind who's weapons and vehicles you're going to use (e.g. CMT tagset, or ZTeam weaps etc.)? I can't wait till this is finished...looks hectic

Also, how many polys? Doesn't seem like low-end computers could run it, although I highly doubt that people who play still even have ancient hardware.
Edited by Bottletopman on Oct 17, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Edited by Bottletopman on Oct 17, 2013 at 02:18 AM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 07:29 AM    Msg. 1485 of 1498       
He already said that he's not going to worry about anything tag related until he can actually make it into a playable map.

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 02:35 PM    Msg. 1486 of 1498       
I cant see any images :(

Bottletopman

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 02:30 AM    Msg. 1487 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
He already said that he's not going to worry about anything tag related until he can actually make it into a playable map.

Ahh right, been quite a while since I've been on this thread.

I wonder how this map will fare on older hardware....ehehehehekekekekeke

Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell

pls get off the dial ups
Edited by Bottletopman on Oct 21, 2013 at 02:30 AM

rcghalohell

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 01:14 PM    Msg. 1488 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bottletopman

Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14

Ahh right, been quite a while since I've been on this thread.

I wonder how this map will fare on older hardware....ehehehehekekekekeke

Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell

pls get off the dial ups
Edited by Bottletopman on Oct 21, 2013 at 02:30 AM

oh im sorry my internet is so crappy, lemme magically make 100,000 dollars to pay the college for better wifi everywhere

Oskarmandude

Make Halomaps Fully Hectic Again

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 04:12 AM    Msg. 1489 of 1498       
bump

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 05:03 AM    Msg. 1490 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Oskarmandude
bump

lel nearly a yr l8tr

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 06:07 AM    Msg. 1491 of 1498       
heyy i remember this project

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 06:19 AM    Msg. 1492 of 1498       
Yeah, I think it kinda tapered off, considering he released all his work so far.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 07:20 AM    Msg. 1493 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
He did? I kinda want those forerunner structures that were in his last pics. Where's the DL?

You even posted on the thread:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=45146

and heres the halomaps link:

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6828

manolonmalone

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 11:42 AM    Msg. 1494 of 1498       
halo 4 pelican

rcghalohell

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 11:58 AM    Msg. 1495 of 1498       
wow we totally dropped the ball fast

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 08:52 PM    Msg. 1496 of 1498       
I did temporarily halt indefinitely postpone production on this map. Looking on some of my work in this thread makes me miss the days when coming up with great things was easier, and motivation was higher. Things are much different now. In a perfect world, I'd finish this SOB. Of course, in a perfect world, it'd already be done and a staple map in this community (after having undergone ample testing and iterative improvement).

Someone already mentioned my release statement thread and download link. Please, feel free to use it as you see fit but please don't forget about me in your credits! This map is one of two contributions I have made to this community and I'd like to know it's being put to good use and people know it, if for no one's benefit other than my own (so I can sleep at night).

I'd be happy to continue answering questions you have, and it's my dream to be consulted on Forerunner design.

also, haz extra campaign (with forerunner) bsp i started way long ago. didn't finish in lieu of working on requiem, but it definitely has merit of its own. do want?

nick347b

Knick | PQ Admin

Posted: Jun 10, 2015 06:59 PM    Msg. 1497 of 1498       
Haven't been here in a year or two. Did anything ever come of this project? Is someone else working on it? It's a shame to see such a fantastic map in the making never hit playability.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jun 10, 2015 07:42 PM    Msg. 1498 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: nick347b
Haven't been here in a year or two. Did anything ever come of this project? Is someone else working on it? It's a shame to see such a fantastic map in the making never hit playability.

All the pieces of it were released somewhere, probably on this site. As part of my pet project, a lot of the ground geometry will be used, modified, and generally recycled. But this project, as I thought Gonzo had mentioned, is discontinued. I suppose I could, at some point if I feel less lazy than usual, crank out something on it.

E: Found it.
Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
He did? I kinda want those forerunner structures that were in his last pics. Where's the DL?

You even posted on the thread:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=45146

and heres the halomaps link:

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6828

Edited by Skidrow925 on Jun 10, 2015 at 07:43 PM

Page 43 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 36 · 37 · 38 · 39 · 40 · 41 · 42 · [43] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 18, 2019 9:36 PM 1,329 ms.
A Halo Maps Website