A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 7 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · 10 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 7 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 03:43 PM    Msg. 211 of 1498       
lol why would you think that an original MP map is being remade into an SP map? a little common sense please. and how's it going with the model anyways?

bobz7

Were it so easy...

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 09:29 AM    Msg. 212 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
lol why would you think that an original MP map is being remade into an SP map? a little common sense please. and how's it going with the model anyways?

Whoops! My bad. All that discussion about banshees and pelicans and animation in the above posts, kinda confused me. I didn't read the whole thing.

Apparently, they were talking about some other map.
Edited by bobz7 on Oct 6, 2010 at 09:30 AM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 03:09 PM    Msg. 213 of 1498       
yea they wer talking about my map lol. and my map is MP anyways. oh and Gonzo i looked at the optimizer in max and i don't see how that thing would look good lol. it completely butchered a model i had. luckily there's the undo button lol.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 03:24 PM    Msg. 214 of 1498       
If a model doesn't look good under the optimization tool, reduce the face thresh until it does.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 05:21 PM    Msg. 215 of 1498       
if you do that it just puts the model back to it's original high poly state.

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 11:57 PM    Msg. 216 of 1498       
I used the optimizer on the original mesh. It turned it into an ugly jumble of triangles, hence the rebuild. It's progressing slowly, due to academic loads, but I'm still excited to be working on it. One thing really worries me though, aside from the modeling aspects: tags. Me needs tags. Anybody willing to put together a nice download of CMT tags ready to go off the bat, combined with various other popular tags that would be both useful and cool in this map (don't forget about possible lag issues) will get a cookie.

Look at how happy Cookie Monster is. Don't you want to be as happy as he is?

bobz7

Were it so easy...

Posted: Oct 8, 2010 03:46 AM    Msg. 217 of 1498       
It would be cool to have a Falcon in this map. But we'd probably have to wait for someone *cough*Martyn lee Ball*cough* to make a nice, halo ce optimized model first.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 12:47 AM    Msg. 218 of 1498       
What would be even cooler is having the Pelican model and Falcon physics, with lock altitude, strafing, whatnot. Also, anyone have a COMPLETE Covenant cruiser? Not Carrier. I have that. I scaled my map down to something just bigger than Extinction, but now the Carrier is almost as big as the one side of the map. I have a way to crash it without hogging the Covenant side, but still, it'd be nice to have a Cruiser, because it's more on the POA's size threshold than a Carrier. I can only find the one from TnR with a flat top.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 01:22 AM    Msg. 219 of 1498       
then model the top to not be so flat lol. i will if need be.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 01:28 AM    Msg. 220 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Also, anyone have a COMPLETE Covenant cruiser?

The Truth and Reconcilliation was a Cruiser. Could you rip the model from the SP mission?

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 03:39 AM    Msg. 221 of 1498       
lol i just did and am completing it. i already closed the top now i just gotta shape it to look like the top of a covie cruiser.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 08:43 PM    Msg. 222 of 1498       
No no no. I already have that one. I need a fully modeled one, with a legit dorsal section. It needs to be 100% complete if I'm to put it in as a crashed ship. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the Extinction Cruiser thing, or the massive Carrier.

Oh, take a look at my dilemma:

The blue stuff in the middle is the minimap. I scaled the map down to a more appropriate size. That white spec you see in the top area of the map is, I believe, a Pelican.

Echo77

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 08:45 PM    Msg. 223 of 1498       
...I don't understand.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 10:25 PM    Msg. 224 of 1498       
The Carrier is supposedly the appropriate size. The POA is not the correct size. Scaling it down will make it seem too small, while the Carrier is currently large enough to monopolize the space on one side of the map's chasm (i.e. it's too freaking big). I believe I have the scales properly established, but I would like to swap that Carrier for a full Cruiser, since it is only 1.7km long, as opposed to 5.3km. And the POA, I need to know if people think it's good as is or should be scaled.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 10:32 PM    Msg. 225 of 1498       
POA is good as is, if not needing to be bigger. The giant space infront of the ship is really bothering me.

Perhaps you could push the POA further to the right, and add damage to the ground behind it to give the illusion that the POA slid through the ground. And maybe to fill in the spaces, put several smaller ships (i.e. frigates) strewn around the POA to show that perhaps a fleet went down. It's all just to fill in the spaces, so that the map isn't a giant flat box.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 12:15 AM    Msg. 226 of 1498       
I've done nothing with the ships other than place them near the map for comparison. Crash sites will come when I'm done with the shape of the map. The POA is too huge, and the current height of the thing is just monstrous. I had plans to setup the clipping (aka max altitude) at about halfway up the Sentinel Wall. The POA goes well beyond that. I scaled it down to the size of the smaller, 1.17km plane. It now looks much better, but I may scale it up more.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 12:49 AM    Msg. 227 of 1498       
i don't have a half cruiser i have a full cruiser that needs a little detail on the top. and yea the ccs-class cruiser would fit well against the halcyon-class cruiser (the poa) lol. oh and i have an H3 pelican that you can use. it needs to be skinned though.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 02:40 AM    Msg. 228 of 1498       
If you happen to get that Cruiser completely and accurately modeled, do let me know. As for your Pelican, I'm still subscribed to the Halo 3 Pelican Request thread, though people kept trolling or otherwise remaining noncontributory, so I stopped paying attention to it. If the model is fully skinned, mapped, rigged, modeled, animated, etc, I will try and get it in. I don't mind doing some of the tagging, but I would prefer it mostly tagged and properly noded.

disturbed

Im a mac, deal with it. I still run PC through emu

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 09:47 AM    Msg. 229 of 1498       
lol dark here just recently learned to skin (: and hes probably talking about the one on halomaps

Echo77

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 11:07 AM    Msg. 230 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: disturbed
lol dark here just recently learned to skin (: and hes probably talking about the one on halomaps

I don't see how that's relevant to the discussion. A cruiser is a cruiser, regardless of whether or not he made it himself.

disturbed

Im a mac, deal with it. I still run PC through emu

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 01:04 PM    Msg. 231 of 1498       
im talking about the pelican

laxdude1995

Isn't that from one of your Chinese cartoons?

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 02:09 PM    Msg. 232 of 1498       
Have you selected a tagset? If not, DO NOT USE THE PDA.
Also, for the PoA, if it isn't too late, you could possibly find a larger ship to use, so as it's somewhat realistic (then again, who cares about canon)

Echo77

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 02:38 PM    Msg. 233 of 1498       
Yeah, I got a Marathon that you could scale up and use. Doesn't have a collision, though.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 07:45 PM    Msg. 234 of 1498       
I don't know...I'd prefer the POA, since that's the only human ship we see in Halo 1. I'm trying to create something legitimate, instead of something entirely hypothetical. A Cruiser would be much appreciated.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 12:46 AM    Msg. 235 of 1498       
not if it's fully armed and is being commanded by first lieutenant keyes (yea i'm talking about the keyes loop from Halo: The Fall of Reach lol). i can't remember if he was a lieutenant then but i think i'm right because the officer ranking system is second lieutenant, first lieutenant, and then captain. oh and the PoA isn't a marathon-class it's a halcyon-class. and the cruiser thing in eXtinction isn't a legit covie ship, it's like some kind of mix of a carrier and something else. looks like a carrier that doesn't have the break away area. like an early design of the carriers today. for those who don't know the carriers today split apart as seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz7Euqze3kQ&feature=related but the one in eXtinction doesn't have the seam where they split.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 03:58 AM    Msg. 236 of 1498       
yea not a single MP map is canon. i mean in what part of the halo universe is there some area of the ring where spartans are fighting each other to the death? unless some spartans became rebels. oh and at no point in the Human-Covenant war was there the ability to respawn or else spartans would truly never die and the war would have been ended with the covenant being wiped out by the never ending waves of spartans lol.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 06:27 AM    Msg. 237 of 1498       
I am aware of all that.

darkassassin14: the ranking system you specified is that of the Air Force, Army, and Marines. The ranking system Keyes fell under is that of the Navy, in which the order is Ensign, LT Junior Grade, LT, LT Cmdr, Cmdr, and Captain.

I understand all of your arguments concerning legitimacy. I do not refute any of them, nor will I attempt to design my map entirely based on canon. All I'm saying is try and make it legit in terms of probability. For example, what are the odds that a human and Covie ship would crash so close together, so close to a Sentinel Wall? Slim to none at best. Something like that must be overlooked for the sake of gameplay, but it doesn't mean I won't try to consider other implications stemming from such a transgression of convenience. By that I mean I will design legit crash sites, add damage, restrict access to the interiors, and otherwise limit the surrounding equipment (c'mon, the ship just crashed. They aren't going to have access to a whole wing of aircraft or battalion of tanks).

Additionally, I will conform my design as best I can to the specifications and precedents in the Halo Universe. This means Forerunner tech and structures actually look like the Forerunners built them. I have spent a lot of time conforming just to that one standard, and I've had to scrap whatever it was I was working on and start anew several times. Tailoring to standards also means that the cliffs will look like cliffs, the scenic environment looks authentic, and everything I toss in should have a reason for existing.

As an example, in 343 Guilty Spark, Bungie destroyed a couple of sections in some of those rooms. It added a nice aesthetic touch and drove the point of 'mysterious conflict, no survivors. WTF?' home. However, how were those small sections destroyed so conveniently? There was little damage to the walls, and what was destroyed was done so rather simply (I get they couldn't add in a whole lot of detail, but they could've done better). Also, how would just those sections be busted, and with what? Forerunner structures are cited to be incredibly resilient, so it seems odd that if something powerful enough detonated to cause structural damage, there isn't much else destroyed.

And what about nearly every other campaign map? They designed it to be very two-way (i.e. go forward or backward through the level; there are no other avenues to explore). The maps are designed to essentially funnel the player through to the map's endpoint. There isn't much in the way of other areas that can be explored, or even areas that give the appearance of being able to be explored (i.e. sealed doors that lead nowhere, as in 343). Cliff formations in b40 aren't that realistic, such as the huge pillar in the second chasm. Why and how could things like that exist? Mostly for convenience sake if you ask me. Things like that convey the appearance of plausibility, of actually happening, instead of simply being 'convenient', I aim to mix in with my map, because I believe it will always had a positive spin to gameplay.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 03:52 PM    Msg. 238 of 1498       
Never mind it's crap.
Edited by darkassassin14 on Oct 11, 2010 at 04:00 PM

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 04:06 PM    Msg. 239 of 1498       
Yeah I was about to tell you that I download the same thing thinking it'd be complete. If y'all can rip a Halo 3 Pelican, why doesn't someone rip a Cruiser?

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 07:23 PM    Msg. 240 of 1498       
lol i was just thinking that. well actually i took the one from campaign and i finished the model and am now unwrapping the top and so far this is what i got:

if you wanna finish the unwrapping i'll give it to you.

EDIT: try'd to add a picture
Edited by darkassassin14 on Oct 11, 2010 at 07:31 PM

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 12:01 AM    Msg. 241 of 1498       
The texture looks amazing. However, it is difficult to see the majority of the 3D detail, and it may be because of that that the top looks rather flat. However, I suspect that is by design, as the top of a Cruiser seems difficult to replicate (at least by my standards).

I can't unwrap worth beans. I can manually UVW textures, like on maps, but when it comes to working with one bitmap for one model...my head explodes.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 01:21 PM    Msg. 242 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
I can manually UVW textures, like on maps...

that's what i meant. the uvw coordinates. oh and this is the pelican i have: http://www.xfire.com/video/380f98/ . hope you like it. and i'll try and get a wireframe for you.

darkelite709

HUUUUUR

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 12:01 AM    Msg. 243 of 1498       
have you predicted when you will release a beta, or full version of map?

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 12:17 AM    Msg. 244 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkelite709
have you predicted when you will release a beta, or full version of map?

Error 0x800117: Specified inquiry does not exist or has been dispatched. A request was input for a target or objective that no longer exists or will not exist or the foreseeable future.

Technobabble-->English: I have no freaking clue man. As with anything I do, I have meticulously managed to overcomplicate things. (and if you saw some of the other projects I undertake in my life, you'd see a recurring theme of overengineering). I continuously put work in here and there, but with academics (and a bunch of tests due this week) and responsibilities in my ROTC and other training programs, I cannot always find as much time as I would like to.

So, any and all help is greatly appreciated. If you guys want a beta sooner, I'd like help with acquiring tagsets so that when this thing is in a nice scenario file, I don't have to any tagging (or not as much as I would if I started tagging now). Also, I am at a sort of impasse with my design. Even though Requiem is now about 120% larger than Extinction, a much better size, it's still really big. This means my current polys are really big, so if I wanted to add in some finer detail (as an example, I have a Forerunner panel needing meshing with the surrounding BSP), I have to add in even more polys to make it look better. Otherwise, you have some huge triangles meshing the areas in question, and I'm afraid doing so will detract from the quality of the design. I am trying to find a happy medium between adding in lots of detail to make the map look pretty and conserving poly count to make the map playable. It's a fine line between what looks nice and what is nice.

Anywhos, besides tagsets and whatnot, I wouldn't mind some suggestions for more things to put in the map (in terms of BSP). I moved the cliffs up to hills as requested, and added a nice little Forerunner chasm loosely based off of a similar chasm one sees upon deactivating the Containment Shield in the Quarantine Zone, when the player rides the gondola across said chasm to the other side of the wall. More detail will go there, but hey, if you guys have anything else ot suggest I put in, I'm all ears. It'll help me get past my lack of decisiveness here.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 12:24 AM    Msg. 245 of 1498       
Have you gotten any plans to put something like tunnels in the walls of the bsp (i.e. bridges connecting the sentinel walls, or caves in the natural parts of the map)?

Page 7 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · 10 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 18, 2019 9:39 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website