A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 8 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 5 · 6 · 7 · [8] · 9 · 10 · 11 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 8 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 07:12 AM    Msg. 246 of 1498       
You should have the Forerunner equivalent of Fallout Shelters scattered throughout the map. Little bunkers dug into the ground that you can hide in if you get stuck out there.

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 10:12 AM    Msg. 247 of 1498       
I have plans for structures connecting the Sentinel Wall to the blue wall in the area that I described above (when I post pictures, you'll understand what I'm talking about). Caves sound like a good idea. I can make Taller and/or steeper hills/cliffs within the main playing field and stuff some caves in there. My biggest concern with that is the campability of such a cave. I was thinking of putting some rocks in front of the entrance, so any noob who wants to camp can only spot units to the left or right of the rock, and would also have to venture out a little further to get a good line up, as opposed to being able to tuck in and still have a pretty good field of view, if I'm making sense here.

Forerunner bunkers are an interesting concept, but are still prone to campers, as with the caves. I had a plan for a larger, more unique 'bunker' that would serve as a makeshift hanger for the humans, but no such plans for the Covenant. As much as putting some more Forerunner structures out there to fill the void of open, natural space entices me, if I do, I will have to limit the amount I put in. The poly count is still pretty high. I may not make bunkers per say, but I do like your idea of putting in some more Forerunner structures in the main map.

darkelite709

HUUUUUR

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 12:03 AM    Msg. 248 of 1498       
Just as a question, will the sentinel wall have tunnel systems or perhaps a hanger?

Echo77

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 12:17 AM    Msg. 249 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
The poly count is still pretty high. I may not make bunkers per say, but I do like your idea of putting in some more Forerunner structures in the main map.

Take the pipelines from Infinity and place them in various arrangements throughout the map. That gives players some form of makeshift cover, but seeing as how it has no ceiling, leaves them open to an aerial attack.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 02:09 AM    Msg. 250 of 1498       
yea that's a great idea. and it'll give a feel of a lot of forerunner tech being buried.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 07:29 AM    Msg. 251 of 1498       
Astounding. I agree, and will make the necessary arrangements to include those pole things. I'm pretty sure they were built after the surrounding natural terrain was constructed, because the only times they appear are when they serve as a bridge rather than some structure that buried by terrain, and happens to conveniently form a bridge.

Echo77

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 12:15 PM    Msg. 252 of 1498       
Astounding. I agree, and will make the necessary arrangements to include those pole things. I'm pretty sure they were built after the surrounding natural terrain was constructed, because the only times they appear are when they serve as a bridge rather than some structure that buried by terrain, and happens to conveniently form a bridge.

Oh, I was talking about these things:

But those big bridges are pretty shweet, too.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 12:23 PM    Msg. 253 of 1498       
Oh I see. I like that. Would you be willing to extract those for me? Just take the entire structure system there, along with the surrounding terrain (enough 'extra' terrain for me to easily mesh it with the map). If you can do that, and make it easily duplicatable, it would save me a lot of time. And, if you want to do the same thing for the bridge structure, I would sincerely appreciate it. I just a bridge segment, especially the mount. It will be easily copyable from there.

I can get them just fine, but if someone were to get them for me, it'd help.

Echo77

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 12:39 PM    Msg. 254 of 1498       
Oh I see. I like that. Would you be willing to extract those for me?

Well, that's sorta my problem. The main reason I roam the forums looking for stuff to help with is because I can't do any of it myself. Aside from Sapien and a bit of Guerilla, I r teh nerbz. So yeah... :|

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 12:49 PM    Msg. 255 of 1498       
If the forum will forgive my breach in protocol to assist the above user, I will explain the procedure:

• Download a BSP extractor. I believe there's one on this site.

• Once downloaded, run it, load Infinity, and tell it to extract. It will extract the BSP as an OBJ file to HCEROOT\data\levels\Infinity\.

• Import in your favorite 3D modeling program, and then have fun.
    On that note, simply select all the faces that belong to the pipes and surrounding terrain, and delete the rest, except for the bridge faces, which I recommend you also keep.

If you keep all the faces that belong to the pipes and bridge, save it as either a .gmax, .3ds, or .obj. The only other thing I'd request of you is that you test the mapping coordinates. In my experience, OBJs exported from the BSP extractor have mapping coordinates hard-coded in them (either that, or I'm getting confused with imported models from gbxmodel files, which I know preserve mapping coordinates). You don't have to, but it's just something little that you could do to speed this whole thing up. I could easily do this, but I'd rather direct my efforts at modeling the custom portions of the BSP.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 01:52 PM    Msg. 256 of 1498       
If the forum will forgive my breach in protocol to assist the above user, I will explain the procedure:
Not only is there nothing to forgive but much to applaud in that it is exactly why the forum is here in the first place.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 09:17 PM    Msg. 257 of 1498       
*Stumbles upon this epic idea*

This looks really cool just so long as it doesn't turn out like solitude firefight did. (Not meaning offense to anyone here.)

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 09:20 PM    Msg. 258 of 1498       
Why thank you, good sir! Glad to be of assistance.

Skidrow: none taken, thanks for your input. I hope you will enjoy it when it finally is finished.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 09:31 PM    Msg. 259 of 1498       
Why thank you, good sir! Glad to be of assistance.

Skidrow: none taken, thanks for your input. I hope you will enjoy it when it finally is finished.

Your welcome.

Also incase you didn't know solitudeFF was a map that sounded epic but wound up being not all that great. The HUD messages were messed up and stuff.

Are you gonna have custom weaps and HUD?

disturbed

Im a mac, deal with it. I still run PC through emu

Posted: Oct 15, 2010 03:13 PM    Msg. 260 of 1498       
wow... flaming a map in a different topic too...
i think it would have been better with normal mc -_-
and CMT weapons, im not a fan of mixed tagsets.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 15, 2010 07:52 PM    Msg. 261 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

Also incase you didn't know solitudeFF was a map that sounded epic but wound up being not all that great. The HUD messages were messed up and stuff.

I should download it. Perhaps I can learn something from it.

Quote: Are you gonna have custom weaps and HUD?

Yes and no. Unless I find a complete game-wide HUD that covers every single weapon I put in my map, I'm going to keep the hUD at its defaults. The weapons, however, are a different story. I will include custom, stock, and modified stock weapons (modified here meaning tweaked for better balance/gameplay/etc). I understand your, 'reluctance', concerning custom tagsets, and I kind of agree, simply because custom tagsets rarely match the quality of the stock ones, and if they do, there aren't very many tags to select from. CMT is a notable exception, and I plan to use there weapons as a near-exclusive augment for my weapon and vehicle tagset.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 15, 2010 10:36 PM    Msg. 262 of 1498       

I should download it. Perhaps I can learn something from it.

Quote: Are you gonna have custom weaps and HUD?

Yes and no. Unless I find a complete game-wide HUD that covers every single weapon I put in my map, I'm going to keep the hUD at its defaults. The weapons, however, are a different story. I will include custom, stock, and modified stock weapons (modified here meaning tweaked for better balance/gameplay/etc). I understand your, 'reluctance', concerning custom tagsets, and I kind of agree, simply because custom tagsets rarely match the quality of the stock ones, and if they do, there aren't very many tags to select from. CMT is a notable exception, and I plan to use there weapons as a near-exclusive augment for my weapon and vehicle tagset.

Sounds fair. Actually having a game-wide HUD as you put it isn't hard I think.

By Game-wide HUD I assume one that covers all the weapons pick-up icons vehicles and such? Well that is for later I guess. Any more progress on the BSP?

-Skidrow

disturbed

Posted: Oct 15, 2010 10:36 PM    Msg. 263 of 1498       
i want that truth and recon lol

darkelite709

HUUUUUR

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 09:50 PM    Msg. 264 of 1498       
This looks like it will be a very epic map.
Edited by darkelite709 on Oct 17, 2010 at 09:52 PM

Echo77

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 11:23 PM    Msg. 265 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkelite709

And the award for understatement of the decade goes to....

THAT GUY! :D

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 10:50 AM    Msg. 266 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Quote: --- Original message by: darkelite709

And the award for understatement of the decade goes to....

THAT GUY! :D

As apposed to what I said: "This could be very interesting map..."

Eh?

-Skidrow

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 05:29 PM    Msg. 267 of 1498       
Thanks all for the support. It really helps. The BSP is progressing well; I'm working on that blue wall so the overall Sentinel Wall can be a bit more detailed. The 'natural' BSP part is nearing completion, as far as its undamaged state goes. Then when I add the ships, the ground will receive some nice deformations, as appropriate. I'm still estimating quite some time before I finish modeling and move on to mapping. Academics...gets in the way of making mah BSP...but I'm due for Thanksgiving and Christmas Break here within a month, so I envision I'll make a lot of progress then.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 06:27 PM    Msg. 268 of 1498       
CMT made a sparrowhawk.
I would know, because it will make an appearance in my map.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 12:22 PM    Msg. 269 of 1498       
No Hawks, spank you. I've too much Human vehicles as it is, and more aircraft will just make things worse.

PICTURES!!11one!eleven!:

The bland blue wall has received a MAJOR overhaul, and now looks quite awesome, if I do say so myself. It will serve as the wall sections for the lower part of the Sentinel Wall (moved out of view, awaiting overhauling). Basically, what you see now is as far as it will go on that side, but I will mirror it, lengthen it, and then place the actual Sentinel Wall on top of the secondary wall's sections. I apologize if that sounds confusing, but you'll see what I'm talking about here soon.

The brown 'rods' are the same structures in some of my earlier pictures, just mirrored around an extrusion in the wall. There's also some 'rib/prong' things (seven on each side, an honestly accidental seven reference that I literally only got until just now) that line that extrusion. It's just something to add some life to the scene. They may go if I need to save faces, but for now I plan to include them (FYI, I turned on 'Force 2-Sided' for easier viewing).

In the second one, the picture centers on a chasm; inspiration for htis was explicitly derived from the Quarantine Zone level, after you deactivate the Containment Shield and cross a massive chasm. There's my take on it. The rest of the wall was also explicitly inspired from the same area, such as the extrusions and rib/prongs; I freehanded everything though. The wall will be spruced up in similar fashion, instead of just being simple, massive, enormous, gargantuan pillars of stuff, connected by flat walls with no life.

Don't bother telling me about the poly count on the main map; I lose enough sleep over it as it is, and I intend to fix it, either by optimizing, portalling, or both. Relax. Other than that, I think everything's open for debate, if you so desire. Have at it.

Echo77

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 12:31 PM    Msg. 270 of 1498       
*twitches*

I'm not really sure if they make a word that properly emphasizes the awesomeness.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 01:27 PM    Msg. 271 of 1498       
Man I can't wait till this is done and playable. GMAX right? Can I see the model? Like if you could upload it some where I want to look at something in it...

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 04:53 PM    Msg. 272 of 1498       
Man I can't wait till this is done and playable. GMAX right? Can I see the model? Like if you could upload it some where I want to look at something in it...

Well, you're seeing the model right now...but no, I won't release the model until I'm confident the map's geometry is completely, or as complete as possible, finished. Even then, I probably won't until the map has had some time out in the public. What did you want to see?

disturbed

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 05:42 PM    Msg. 273 of 1498       
wow man this is great. i think you should make a vid of you randomly flying around the model showing off (:

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 06:14 PM    Msg. 274 of 1498       

Well, you're seeing the model right now...but no, I won't release the model until I'm confident the map's geometry is completely, or as complete as possible, finished. Even then, I probably won't until the map has had some time out in the public. What did you want to see?

Awww Oh well. Guess I look into it when it's finished eh?

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 07:17 PM    Msg. 275 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: disturbed
wow man this is great. i think you should make a vid of you randomly flying around the model showing off (:

I suppose, but I currently do not have equipment for recording videos directly from my mac. I may.

Skidrow: well, you'll definitely get to do all the exploring you want (more or less, mwuhuhahaha) when I release the beta, unless you become an alpha candidate.

disturbed

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 07:24 PM    Msg. 276 of 1498       
lol ill test. and omg awesome u have a mac. sweet. download ishowu, it has a watermark, but it works. idk if it has one during trial period. another is snapz pro X no water mark for trial period

Echo77

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:01 PM    Msg. 277 of 1498       
well, you'll definitely get to do all the exploring you want (more or less, mwuhuhahaha) when I release the beta, unless you become an alpha candidate.

Alpha candidate you say? Tell me more... >:D

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:59 PM    Msg. 278 of 1498       
Alpha candidacy will be restricted to, say, seven (well look at that) people. It will consist of looking for BSP errors, ID errors, bad areas (like bad smoothing groups, or a jagged cliff bunch where a hill should be).

It will also consist of experimenting with travel techniques, such as getting around in a hog; drive around looking for faces that, when traveled upon, may cause too much air time and flip too often; look for 'cheats' to get from one place to another quickly, such as leaving the minimap via the dirt that poured over the wall; look for safe places.

Aircraft will also be used, to see how high one can get, and whether or not the edges or other bad spots of the map can be seen (I'm aiming for the edges to be unseen, so the map looks legitimately sealed). It will also include looking for areas to fly into, such as nooks and crannies in the walls, hills, and ships. Lastly, it will include the expedited travel assessment, as you look for quick ways to access the opponent's base while still maintaining stealth and/or safety.

Weapons will NOT be included in the alpha, at least the first one. The focus needs to be on the BSP, not the components. For this reason, there will be no (or little) scenery objects. As I said, once the BSP layout is satisfactory, then testing will shift to weapons and vehicle testing and exploiting.

I need people who are incredibly gifted in finding errors as I mentioned above, so if you think that's you, PM me accordingly. Be descriptive; failure to do so could result in you not being considered for testing.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:06 PM    Msg. 279 of 1498       
Gonzo, you need to practice better modeling techniques. There are probably 95% more triangles in that model than what are needed.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:07 PM    Msg. 280 of 1498       
I could possibly look over the BSP in 3ds max, fixing any errors as you said. I'm not nearly incredibly talented, or too decent for that matter, but it would be good to get some practice. I got my own 'little' project going on that deals with custom BSP, so perhaps I can learn from your map.

I know you said descriptive, and PM, but well... yeah...

HREACH SOUNDTRACK IS EFFING AWESOME. Marty always outdoes himself

Page 8 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 5 · 6 · 7 · [8] · 9 · 10 · 11 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 6:06 AM 844 ms.
A Halo Maps Website