A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 9 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 6 · 7 · 8 · [9] · 10 · 11 · 12 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 9 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

disturbed

Im a mac, deal with it. I still run PC through emu

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:07 PM    Msg. 281 of 1498       
oooh ive always liked testing. i always have too much time on my time. if you want i like testing stuff with the hog. maybe ill beta, if not alpha

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:11 PM    Msg. 282 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
Gonzo, you need to practice better modeling techniques. There are probably 95% more triangles in that model than what are needed.

He said he'd optimize it later, and not worry about the extra tris.

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 10:26 PM    Msg. 283 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: AGLion
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
Gonzo, you need to practice better modeling techniques. There are probably 95% more triangles in that model than what are needed.

He said he'd optimize it later, and not worry about the extra tris.

Indeed I did. Obviously, it wouldn't make sense to have that many polys for a mere flat plain, now would it? And even the hills and cliffs could stand some optimizing, but that comes AFTER (say again, after) I design the mesh to my liking.

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 11:38 PM    Msg. 284 of 1498       
Your liking might get messed up after you "optimize"it. But, w/e, I could be wrong though. Map is looking great so far :)

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 10:19 AM    Msg. 285 of 1498       
Indeed it will. It is inevitable, because I want an uber-detailed landscape, but unfortunately, the limits of the engine will force me to reduce the detail via optimization. Even though it looks like I have a lot of polys in my map as it is, it's not nearly as much as I'd like, and it's only going to decrease. Stupid antique CE engine...

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 11:30 AM    Msg. 286 of 1498       
I could possibly look over the BSP in 3ds max, fixing any errors as you said. I'm not nearly incredibly talented, or too decent for that matter, but it would be good to get some practice. I got my own 'little' project going on that deals with custom BSP, so perhaps I can learn from your map.

I know you said descriptive, and PM, but well... yeah...

Offtopic: I have a sort of layout for it FYI.

ontopic: I would like to beta test it. I am good at finding mistakes in geometry.

-Skidrow

disturbed

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 03:45 PM    Msg. 287 of 1498       
hey. i asked to beta first lol. im good at finding gameplay problems, as i comp every part of a map (even this big) and check for impurities (:
lol ive beta'd a few times. what vehicles are gonna be here?

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 05:02 PM    Msg. 288 of 1498       
Hey. I said PM me if you wanted to alpha/beta test this thing. As of now, I believe I have received 3 PMs (from several weeks ago) with testing requests.This thread is specifically for the critiquing of my map, not for a public display of your specialties. Please keep it to that topic.

disturbed

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 05:05 PM    Msg. 289 of 1498       
pmd lol.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 05:08 PM    Msg. 290 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Hey. I said PM me if you wanted to alpha/beta test this thing. As of now, I believe I have received 3 PMs (from several weeks ago) with testing requests.This thread is specifically for the critiquing of my map, not for a public display of your specialties. Please keep it to that topic.

Oops sorry bout that.

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 12:24 PM    Msg. 291 of 1498       
Wow man this is absolutely incredible!! Amazing job on the models jesus I wish I could model like that! I really wish you the best of luck on this I love that you are taking the idea I was trying to go for and making it better! I can say this even though you've dissed my map in every single aspect because alot of it was true. It had some major flaws lol! It's funny because like everything you mentioned above that you were going to change, I changed for the sequel that I'm working on. You may think of me as a noob or something but I love what you're working on so I offer any assistance and any of the tags I have improved upon over 4 years. I would love for you to take a look at the three maps I'm working on and give me some constructive thoughts man.
Edited by DA_Ender on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM

disturbed

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 04:27 PM    Msg. 292 of 1498       
anser me lol

flyingpenguin117

You must Never, EVER leave a SINGLE BOB ALIVE!!!

Posted: Oct 23, 2010 11:46 PM    Msg. 293 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: DA_Ender

Wow man this is absolutely incredible!! Amazing job on the models jesus I wish I could model like that! I really wish you the best of luck on this I love that you are taking the idea I was trying to go for and making it better! I can say this even though you've dissed my map in every single aspect because alot of it was true. It had some major flaws lol! It's funny because like everything you mentioned above that you were going to change, I changed for the sequel that I'm working on. You may think of me as a noob or something but I love what you're working on so I offer any assistance and any of the tags I have improved upon over 4 years. I would love for you to take a look at the three maps I'm working on and give me some constructive thoughts man.
Edited by DA_Ender on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM

this is probably the best map i have ever seen. take that back, this is probably the best map anyone has ever seen. a couple of questions. first, a problem i had with extinciton, does this map have a ton of sniping opportunities? second, is that really you, DA ender? third, i havent read to much of this forum. some people have criticized the minimap. is it still going to be incorporated?

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 24, 2010 01:35 AM    Msg. 294 of 1498       
1) Sniping opportunities...yes. Plenty, unfortunately. I can't do a thing about it, though I am taking steps to reduce the cover any one spot may have, so that a player can enjoy a few minutes or so there, but will eventually be forced to leave. This is a difficult thing to incorporate, however, as the map is saturated with good camping spots. It's just the way big maps go.

2) I'm pretty sure it's Ender. I don't see why someone would copy his name, though one can never be too sure...

3) From what I can tell, most criticisms were put to rest. Most of it was in the poly count, which I brought down, and yes, it will still remain a feature part of the map, to the point were spawns for all gametypes will be located there, to prevent base camping, and to expand the playability.

4) Thanks for your compliments!

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 12:02 PM    Msg. 295 of 1498       
OMG the Sentinel wall is soooooo freakin sexy. man i wish i could model like a forerunner like that.

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 12:29 PM    Msg. 296 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: flyingpenguin117 is that really you, DA ender? Indeed it is me. The only reason my join date says 2010 is due to my account being banned years ago. I was shocked when it allowed me to recreate my forum account with the same DA_Ender name I had back in the day. I thought it would still be banned to this day.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 02:10 PM    Msg. 297 of 1498       
why were you banned?

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 03:01 PM    Msg. 298 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
why were you banned?

Lol I can't remember man we're talkin 4 years ago. I think both Ultimate_dragon and I were banned at the same time for some petty arguement that got out of hand. Something like that. I just moved onto modacity forums and the GBX forums (which are both dead now)

Dennis Powers ftw this website will be here until teh internet explodes

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 03:04 PM    Msg. 299 of 1498       
lol. yea

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 03:09 PM    Msg. 300 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: DA_Ender
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
why were you banned?

[yadda yadda yadda]
Dennis Powers ftw this website will be here until teh internet explodes

I agree.

[ontopic]

You should try and put tunnels in the map.
Edited by Skidrow925 on Oct 29, 2010 at 03:09 PM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 04:25 PM    Msg. 301 of 1498       
yea that's a good idea.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Oct 31, 2010 04:33 PM    Msg. 302 of 1498       
Oh boy everybody! More pictures detailing my progress. While it may not look like much has been made in terms of BSP tweaking, I did put in about 4 hours of UVWing the secondary Sentinel Wall, which has now been cloned and mirrored to fill up the other side.

Link to the album:
http://img213.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=rebuild1.png

Picture 1:
Overview. Notice how I've cloned and mirrored the secondary wall, then lengthened it a bit on the x-axis to ensure it wraps around the terrain. It's not completely finished, as you may notice the large 'endcap' that was also mirrored is blocking half of the chasm. It will probably go.

New: the hugea** Sentinel Wall 2.0. I did away with the crudy teal one; too basic and bland, and it was by far easier to start from scratch. I basically made a section of two of the shield emitter things, then cloned it to make the wall long. They're still in pieces, as the length and placement is not final, but I wanted to see what it looked like. I don't like have all those faces out there, soaking up my poly count when all they do is just sit there looking pretty, but you gotta admit, they do add a nice touch to the map. I'm looking at ways of still getting a long wall in while preserving the poly count. Perhaps I will set some to render only, but I don't know if that will actually make it easier on the game/server. I doubt it would. If so, I may decide to bend the wall, so I don't have to cap off a huge straight portion, as I have to do now.

You'll also notice that I made the crash site for the POA; it's been moved to the other side of the chasm. I made it transparent so I could model the site easier. The material you see in front of portions of the main wall is also transparent; those belong to some sky geometry that I put on the secondary wall. It's transparent so I can see how long the main wall needs to be in order to create a convincing 'seal'.

Picture 2:
Overhead view of the changes. The POA has a longer crash site than the original BSP did (for those of you that remember. If not, look at the earlier pages of this thread). You can also see that some of the main wall is longer than the rest. This is so some of it will touch the main map, while the rest will serve as an extension to the secondary wall. This option proved to use less polys than extending the secondary wall all across the map, and putting the main wall on top.

Picture 3:
The secondary wall juncture. The inlet goes to...something. I may set up a fog plane and volume, or i may make a massive plain of Forerunner tech just for the hell of it, or both. Depends on the poly count and stuff. The blue circled area represents and area of the wall where I will extrude down the -z-axis to mesh with the terrain. It will be accordingly detailed, and prevent players from simply driving into the inlet to hide or something.

Oh, the whitish spec you see by the blue selected region but over the terrain is a Pelican, and the even smaller white spec you see on the inlet portion (inside the selected region) is Chief. You can also see the Pelican in the other pictures.

Picture 4:
Birds eye view of the map. Noticed how I twisted the chasm more. I think it looks more natural, since a river was the source of the chasm. The intent was to give the reds some more land, as I removed a large strip from their side, giving blue about 60% of the ground. You can also see the POA site. It's pretty good in my opinion, and you will also see that it curves about 30% in. The POA came in at about a 240 degree trajectory (based off of a 0 degree system that uses right (or east) as its base) then curved to about a 210 degree trajectory. Just pretend such a thing was possible, because I'm not going to rotate the crash site to make it straight.

Picture 5:
Lastly, Here's my plan for incorporating the Assault Carrier: either one of two things happened: either the Carrier crashed into the sloped terrain, then slid back down into the ocean (the flat polys represent the ocean bottom, and the water plane will be slightly higher), or the Carrier flat out crashed into the ocean and skidded up towards the terrain a bit. Either way, it will be partially submerged and pretty much inaccessible. It was far too big to simply crash into the terrain, and since I don't have a Cruiser, this is the best option I could think of. Doing this also saves me some polys, as I can delete the ones concealed by the water. I may even crash this thing further out, making it 100% inaccessible, which means I can remove more polys and set it to render-only.

If you're like me, you probably were immediately excited (take it how you wish) to see what this looks like when all the pieces are put together, especially the main wall and its enormous size. Kindly post some feedback, preferably one each picture/point I made.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Oct 31, 2010 05:12 PM    Msg. 303 of 1498       
....Must.... have.....

*brain ruptures*

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Nov 1, 2010 09:12 AM    Msg. 304 of 1498       
To my knowledge, the Carrier is already scaled appropriately. Internally, and measured against a 5.346km plane (or 5.436, or 5.643, can't remember), the Carrier is about 5.240km, and the POA is a bit larger than it should be, I think, but I don't recall. I know at one point, the POA was scaled down to a 1.17km plane, but I may have scaled it up a bit since then. Thus, I think the Carrier is ok, aside from its position.

Alpha/Beta testing instructions and requirements will be released when I'm nearly ready to open it up for testing. There's no stipulation in place that mandates users be prequalified for testing; it's purely a personal preference that those who do get this map are indeed qualified to be testing for what they say they'll look for. Granted, there's really no way I can verify any of you are actually skilled enough to know what to look for, but nevertheless, I'd like to know what you have to say about yourselves. The biggest reason here being that I don't want this map leaked, and I don't want clowns messing around in it, pretending to test or whatever. Professionalism is a must.

The Shortsword/Longsword altitude trait is intriguing...I'd say 'Sure, I'll figure out how to do that', but 1) I suspect that the wasp can't go below a certain height because of vehicle clipping or some other general aircraft clipping (though I could be wrong since I haven't looked at the map), and 2) that would make the Swords nearly invincible once they make altitude, since no other aircraft can get to their height, and the snipers aren't going to be as effective (except the anti-armor ones), which means that a lot of people will INEVITABLY noob the flying crap out of it and just hover there and forget to take their finger off of the trigger. I will not tolerate such blatant and moronic moves, so it makes no sense that I would allow for such moves to take place. Unless something can be done to counteract the altitude limit, I will not include it. I mean no offense to anyone.

*corrected misspelling to prevent user from being banned
Edited by Dennis on Nov 1, 2010 at 02:44 PM

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 11:51 PM    Msg. 305 of 1498       
Are you going to lower the armor on the Pelican so it's easier to kill or are you going to leave it as is for this map. I know in the other extinction map plenty of people will try and hide out with the pelican.

Shade117 pro

Yeah bro (xfire: blue117pro) I can make cubemaps

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 12:23 AM    Msg. 306 of 1498       
I like what you have so far, keep it up. I can't wait to see it textured!

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 12:27 AM    Msg. 307 of 1498       
I've been wrestling with that. I LOVE the Pelican, and I believe that, while the Pelican is difficult to kill, it can be neutralized easily. It's current traits make it a dangerous threat, but often times force teamwork in order to bring it down. Either that, or it falls prey to some BS kill that is instant, i.e. sniped. I hate it when that happens. I probably will not change anything about the Pelican. It is easy to kill if you know what to look for, and easy to survive in if you know what to do. Certain weapons and vehicles will be designed to be more effective against targets such as the Pelican.

Now...pictures! Behold my progress.

Album:
http://img577.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=requiem6.png

Picture 1: What used to be a bland hilly area that was pretty flat all the way through is now a large mountain whose top is inaccessible without devcams. Also, you will notice a chunk of the secondary wall. It is across a smaller valley, adjacent to the mountain. Also, to the right of the mountain is a continuation of sorts...the cliffs trail out into the open sea or whatever body of water it will end up being. It actually looks real nice, as you will see in a picture below. Reminds me of the inlet on the beach on Zanzibar.

Picture 2: Here's that inlet. The ship has crashed close to land. The cliffs continue out ot sea, where hopefully their edges will be undetectable ingame.

Picture 3: As I made the mountain, I moved a whole bunch of the existing vertices. In doing so, I accidentally squashed some together, and as I went to fix it, I realized it looked like a stream, so the concept remained and was improved upon. I highlighted the general stream area in blue. The breaks in the blue indicate that the area travels out of view, then resumes. The stream will be a little deeper than a Warthog. The Pelican (aka white blurb in the center) gives an approximate sense of scale. This map is actually as big as it may seem.

Picture 4: The secondary valley. It took some work, but I made a decent deep pit/valley that not only saved polys and fit nicely with the map and secondary wall chunk, but also blended in nicely with the aforementioned mountain from picture 1. This addition adds some mystery to the map while at the same time allowing for a new way of sealing off the map, instead of throwing up another wall, or making a larger mountain. Also, it wouldn't make much sense to build a Sentinel Wall right next to a tall mountain (by next I mean nearly touching).

You can also see a blue thingy on top of the Sentinel Walls. This is an idea I'm playing with: an animated energy barrier, i.e. a simply quarter cylinder with an animated bitmap. I may or may not include it.

Picture 5: Same as 4, but this is the other side, closest to the main map. The cliffs are steep but not all jaggedy like they are in other maps.

Picture 6: A nice overview of the changes. You can also see I extended the secondary wall out a bit so it looked like it went somewhere instead of just flat out terminating. A clipping barrier will be setup to prevent players from venturing out to the ship. I fear it would become an easy place to camp and hide, given the nooks and crannies that thing has. Plus, if players can get up close, then I have to make it mesh cleanly with the BSP, which would take a lot of time, considering how many polys the carrier has..

All this may look costly in terms of poly count; it is, sorta. Currently, I have ~17500 faces, BUT this includes the ones in the middle that don't need to be there. They will leave once the modeling is done. I expect to reduce this bad boy down to about 12000 faces. Seems pretty decent. I've already manually optimized the crap out of everything I've touched thus far, and have had to sacrifice a lot of handsomeness in the cliffs and hills to keep the poly count from reaching an unnecessarily high count. I've been learning from Bungie's techniques, as well as those of others.

I believe the main modeling is wrapping up. I have pretty much all of the features I want: a crashed POA, Sentinel Wall, secondary wall plus some, large mountain, continuous cliffs reaching out to the sea, an eerie gorge/valley/pit, a stream, a larger chasm in the middle, crash site...I can't think of anything else major to put in (major as in a large hill, or changing the shape of the major chasm). All that remains is smoothing out the details, merging everything, and UVWing. I believe I am now on the downhill in terms of my work in gmax. I am welcome to any suggestions y'all may have. Please keep this thread alive so I can post updates and more pictures. I don't want anyone thinking that I've abandoned this project.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 12:30 AM    Msg. 308 of 1498       
Maybe underground caves. Since you added a sentinel wall, why not add a flood containment zone.
Edited by jesse on Nov 10, 2010 at 12:31 AM

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 01:01 AM    Msg. 309 of 1498       
Two words:

Open Edges.

Three more words:

Check for them.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 07:37 AM    Msg. 310 of 1498       
Two words:

Open Edges.

Three more words:

Check for them.

Hmm not sure what precisely you mean here. The only open edges I was able to find, even using the 'Select Open Edges' command, are the ones that comprise the very edge of the models. Those will go away as I mesh them with other models, or attach them to sky geometry. Did you see some open edges that weren't on the very edge of a model?

flyingpenguin117

You must Never, EVER leave a SINGLE BOB ALIVE!!!

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 10:36 PM    Msg. 311 of 1498       
Looks like avery excellent map. Sorry if I sounded like a desperate, whiny 81+%# when I asked if I could beta test.

tango

tango219 here permission to nuke his ass "sir"

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 09:14 PM    Msg. 312 of 1498       
how long till completion

abkarch

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 09:38 PM    Msg. 313 of 1498       
must. have.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 12:07 PM    Msg. 314 of 1498       
At last! An opportunity to post! To answer your question, it's not going to be ready for quite some time. I'm pretty much done with the terrain modeling; but then I have to mesh all the individual parts together. The walls, the main wall, the minimap (which I need to redo a little bit), so on, so forth. Then I have to do a lot of mapping. Most of the secondary wall is mapped, but none of the primary wall is currently mapped. The minimap also needs mapping.

After that, I just check for open edges and other tool errors. But it should be fairly error-free. I've been running checks throughout construction.

Pictures:

Album:

http://img72.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=requiemmain.png

Picture 1:

Circled in blue is the end of the valley I made. It received the covered beam emitter from a30, and a small lake. My current driver, Custom HEIDI, sucks, so closely spaced objects don't look very good. Unfortunately, the driver is also the fastest, so I use it almost exclusively. Anyways, don't worry about the appearance of the shape of the lake; up close it looks much more natural. The inlet type formation you see in the valley/cliff area contains the pipes from Infinity. They are inset into the cliffs, and overall, the whole area opens up into a lake, which in turn receives its water from a stream coming down from the mountain.

The area circled in red is a new feature I added: an energy conduit of sorts. I'm having difficulty rationalizing its existence so close to the top of the surface, but it is a cool addition for red team.

The area circled in black is a cliff system I added, just to break up the hilly monotony of that side. I'm experimenting with giving nearly every terrain face the same shader group to see if that improves overall blending. I don't like it when cliffs abruptly stop at the ground. I prefer a smoothed boundary, so I'm seeing how this looks. If all else fails, I do it regular style and shade the cliffs with their own group.

The area underlined in blue is the completed secondary wall boundary. It now looks pretty darn cool, and it has been prepped out for meshing with its terrain. Some of the braces you may see are semi-buried by the surrounding hills.

Picture 2:

A close up of the conduit. Here you can see it's built for two conduits, but only one will be working. I figure this adds some mystery to the area. Again, don't worry about the smoothness of the whole area. It should look much better in Halo. The area is quite large; it gives players places to duck and cover for a while, but hopefully not too much camping will be going on down there.

Picture 3:

Other side of the conduit. You can see the ground has buried the other end. I decided against full exposure for several reasons, namely that it didn't seem right to define the length of such a conduit; I also wanted to save polys, so burial seemed the way to go. This also provides an alternate exit. The main exit and entrance is the ramp located halfway in; it's difficult to see, but it's on the right side. The two structures hanging out in the middle of the terrain are experimental; I'm just seeing if they look good there, somewhere else, or whatnot.

The green blob in the picture is a hog. Big, yes. Too big? Leave your comment. Overall, please leave comments/suggestions/criticism. It keeps the thread alive, allows me to reply, perhaps with more pictures, and it provides fuel and motivation to keep going. I'm on break now, so I expect to make some good headway.
Edited by CAG Gonzo on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 02:34 PM    Msg. 315 of 1498       
I just wonder how this is gonna get through tool.
But, this is a lot of improvement over what it was before. Nice job!

Page 9 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 6 · 7 · 8 · [9] · 10 · 11 · 12 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 21, 2019 1:31 AM 500 ms.
A Halo Maps Website