A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 11 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 8 · 9 · 10 · [11] · 12 · 13 · 14 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 11 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 11:01 AM    Msg. 351 of 1498       
This ranks as the single best GMax project ever done.

Also you should have a gephyphobia style pillar inbetween the bridges holding them up.

Something like this:

(Not that exactly but something to that effect)

Otherwise this is just getting better and better IMO.

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 03:12 PM    Msg. 352 of 1498       
I like that idea, but the pillar would have to be extremely tall since the cliff it would rest in is very deep. In being that tall, it would also have to be fairly large in its base dimensions, and such a large object would add too much large objects within the area. The energy rope supports are the large objects I want the minimap to accentuate. However, I would be willing to reconsider if enough people agree with such a change.

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 07:28 PM    Msg. 353 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Julian
Wow, I love that you're persistent with this. You have gameplay in mind for the minimap, I see. (Tbh I would love to see the minimap released again as a separate map, it would be the Halo CE version of Narrows )

Great idea!!!

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 07:37 PM    Msg. 354 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

Also you should have a gephyphobia style pillar inbetween the bridges holding them up.

Something like this:
pic

i wouldnt be sure this is the best gmax project if I remember correct rooster made the orignal narrows in it

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 07:52 PM    Msg. 355 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Hydrogen

Something like this:
pic

i wouldnt be sure this is the best gmax project if I remember correct rooster made the orignal narrows in it

I thought narrows was an H3 map?

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 09:40 PM    Msg. 356 of 1498       
*Custom* Narrows remake.

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 09:52 AM    Msg. 357 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
*Custom* Narrows remake.

Interesting. I think this is probably better though.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 10:46 AM    Msg. 358 of 1498       
Just FYI, this is not, and never was intended to be, a remake, custom rendition, or other idea based off of Narrows. I didn't get any of my inspiration from Narrows; most, if not all, of the bridge work came from b40. However, I now see some similarities. I will release this as its own stand alon map when I finish Requiem. I don't want to devote any time to other projects yet.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 10:55 AM    Msg. 359 of 1498       
If finished, this map will kick the other large maps' ass.

doubleodoughnut

-theoretical mapper- XFire:doubleodoughnut

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 02:20 PM    Msg. 360 of 1498       
ok I love extintion and I love the story but I was just wondering if it was posible to have ai on the map to ease the story a bit, because I don't think it helps when theres only spartans on the map when I bet that a few marines and covenant survived to fight

and don't start that MC is the only one that can survive the fall when Keys survived (alone) to land the autumn and inadvetantly blow up halo

I like my idea and I hope someone likes it too

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 03:15 PM    Msg. 361 of 1498       
WHAT???? What story??? If you want AI you will have ot rip and put them in your self.
This has no story it's just an EPIC MP map.

doubleodoughnut

-theoretical mapper- XFire:doubleodoughnut

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 09:53 PM    Msg. 362 of 1498       
No there is a stor that comes with the map DONT"YOU READ THE READMES

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 10:58 PM    Msg. 363 of 1498       
1) your spelling FAILS. Please make sure you actually check over your comments before grammatical and spelling errors come through. I find it quite distasteful.

2) Keyes and the Chief were not the only ones to survive the initial attack. Hell, there wasn't even a fall. Chief made landfall in an escape pod that followed with the cliche example of killing off everyone but the protagonist. And, in case it wasn't already blindingly obvious, you fight with plenty of Marines in the first half of the campaign. Not to mention the fact that Keyes doesn't inadvertently blow up the POA and thus Halo; Chief blew it up, and he did so at Cortana's behest, which was most certainly an intentional act.

3) There will be a nice story in my readme to go with Requiem, as with many other maps. It may be a story rather than a simple text file, but you'll get a good story and explanation.

4) There will NOT be any AI in this map. None whatsoever. I'm putting all available space (for the most part) into terrain detail. Someone else can rip my map and add AI later. I also cannot change the player types to have one team play as Elites and the other as Spartans. I understand that it makes no sense to have 8 Spartans using Covenant tech face off against 8 Spartans using human tech, but changing that is beyond the scope of my abilities (and probably Halo). Just pretend you're an Elite/Spartan.

IcePhoenix

-Minor modeler-

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 06:02 AM    Msg. 364 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: doubleodoughnut

You remind me of Caboose saying "I like me."
And you probably have less IQ than him.

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 10:50 AM    Msg. 365 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
1) your spelling FAILS. Please make sure you actually check over your comments before grammatical and spelling errors come through. I find it quite distasteful.

2) Keyes and the Chief were not the only ones to survive the initial attack. Hell, there wasn't even a fall. Chief made landfall in an escape pod that followed with the cliche example of killing off everyone but the protagonist. And, in case it wasn't already blindingly obvious, you fight with plenty of Marines in the first half of the campaign. Not to mention the fact that Keyes doesn't inadvertently blow up the POA and thus Halo; Chief blew it up, and he did so at Cortana's behest, which was most certainly an intentional act.

3) There will be a nice story in my readme to go with Requiem, as with many other maps. It may be a story rather than a simple text file, but you'll get a good story and explanation.

4) There will NOT be any AI in this map. None whatsoever. I'm putting all available space (for the most part) into terrain detail. Someone else can rip my map and add AI later. I also cannot change the player types to have one team play as Elites and the other as Spartans. I understand that it makes no sense to have 8 Spartans using Covenant tech face off against 8 Spartans using human tech, but changing that is beyond the scope of my abilities (and probably Halo). Just pretend you're an Elite/Spartan.

1) I agree. Is it really that hard to double check spelling?

2) Anyone who disagrees is not very smart or hasn't played the campaign.

3) That is cool. Hope it's pretty good.

4) There probably is a way to have 1 team Elites and the other Spartans but meh. I don't think it really matters.

Quote: --- Original message by: IcePhoenix
Quote: --- Original message by: doubleodoughnut

You remind me of Caboose saying "I like me."
And you probably have less IQ than him.

Yeah same here.
This is most likely true.

Reaper 201

Rezurrected to Kill

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 08:00 PM    Msg. 366 of 1498       
I like that you are still doing this, and I wish you luck and hope you can finish this to the best of your ability.

Hope you don't, but if you ever reconsider not finishing Requiem or find it to tedious continue to work on it, I think that mini map might be an excellent release.
Edited by Reaper 201 on Feb 11, 2011 at 08:03 PM

IcePhoenix

-Minor modeler-

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 07:38 PM    Msg. 367 of 1498       
Now that you mentioned it, someone should make putput on a much larger scale, with about 100 rooms and the teleporters don't teleport you in the direction that they face (unlike in the original where if you enter a room's southern-most teleporter it would take you to the room south of it).
Just to annoy the hell out of people.

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:05 AM    Msg. 368 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: IcePhoenix
Now that you mentioned it, someone should make putput on a much larger scale, with about 100 rooms and the teleporters don't teleport you in the direction that they face (unlike in the original where if you enter a room's southern-most teleporter it would take you to the room south of it).
Just to annoy the hell out of people.

That would b interesting. and set up the teleprompters so you never know where you are gonna wind up.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:16 AM    Msg. 369 of 1498       
I don't think that's possible. Teleporters work by instantiating a special method within Halo: a trigger volume (or whatever. I don't know the official term for it) is set up at the teleporter that teleports the player to its matching receiver. In other words, each receiver must have a matching volume, and vice versa. Said matching pairs are unique from all other teleporting pairs, so I don't think I can assign multiple receivers to each teleporter volume. It wouldn't be very fun in my opinion even if I could.

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:50 AM    Msg. 370 of 1498       
I don't think that's possible. Teleporters work by instantiating a special method within Halo: a trigger volume (or whatever. I don't know the official term for it) is set up at the teleporter that teleports the player to its matching receiver. In other words, each receiver must have a matching volume, and vice versa. Said matching pairs are unique from all other teleporting pairs, so I don't think I can assign multiple receivers to each teleporter volume. It wouldn't be very fun in my opinion even if I could.

I am fairly sure I found a way to randomize where you exit. Haven't gotten to work seamless yet though. Might try harder.

Anyway any more eye candy progressions?

ODST72

Where's the rest of your platoon?

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 07:16 PM    Msg. 371 of 1498       

im pretty sure you can because once i had no idea how to use teleporters just set the channel thing to the same number and there you go no promises of where you end up i might make a video of it

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 07:32 PM    Msg. 372 of 1498       
Hm. I hadn't thought of that. I've only done work with teleporters in SparkEdit, which cannot (to the best of my knowledge) have more than one receiver. I'm not gonna lie; I don't know how to apply teleporters via guerilla/sapien...yet.

Anyways, I'm not planning on randomizing the channels/receiver pairs, so don't count it. It defeats the purpose of them. In a map based of off Chiron, that would be acceptable. In a map this size that demands a decent teleporter network, a random grid won't do anything to mitigate the travel time and would only infuriate players (or maybe just me).

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:49 AM    Msg. 373 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST72

im pretty sure you can because once i had no idea how to use teleporters just set the channel thing to the same number and there you go no promises of where you end up i might make a video of it

That is not what I said or implied. I have never not known how teles work in sapien. That is to say... while I have used it.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 12:02 AM    Msg. 374 of 1498       
Carter, yes, I will do my best to mark the teleporters. At least make some sort of order that makes it easy to see where one will go. I may make a master bitmap containing various signs, such as the shade, the Banshee, and others I make. Of course, I'm not very good at designing things like that, so if anyone feels confident enough in their abilities to make directional guides in the same style as those in Death Island, then let me know.

flyingpenguin117

You must Never, EVER leave a SINGLE BOB ALIVE!!!

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 07:59 PM    Msg. 375 of 1498       
You should use this:

Mobile SAM Launcher from Civ V, as well as some Covenant equivalent. I think it would be useful as an Anti Aircraft gun for base defense that can't move much, but has a longer range than the Missile hog, but can only attack airborne targets. I should be able to supply models, sounds, and textures.
Edited by flyingpenguin117 on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:51 PM

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 18, 2011 11:25 PM    Msg. 376 of 1498       
I'm pretty sure someone asked me for some more eye-candy...here ya go:

Album:
http://img21.imageshack.us/g/minimapattached.png/

Picture 1:

Here you can see the minimap: done and now meshed into the main map beautifully. The large chasm has been textured (as have about all cliffs in the BSP). I think the final product is stunning, and will ook so much better once I get my ground bitmap finished.

Picture 2:

Another shot of the minimap. Not much else to say.

Picture 3:

Red base. It's actually blue base from deathisland, the same base I released on this site (if you search for a death island base, there is a gmax file that I posted [ http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5678 ]. I was too dumb to include my name in the readme, so the author is unknown according to this site). You will see the location in the main map in another picture. The base has some extension of the cliffs and walkways, and is relatively sheltered from campers (relatively).

Picture 4:

Main view of red side. The base is the sliver of color you see towards the lower right corner. I also made some modifications to the secondary wall: a little more detail was added, but I primarily remapped it to reflect a better, cleaner wall.

The idea here is that the Sentinel Wall is old (and rusty, as in Halo 2), but this secondary wall is a new construction, and so has not yet had a chance to rust. However, I have themed the majority of materials (have of which come from kornman00's Halo 2 bitmap tagest) along a gray coloration, including the modification of one bitmap to reflect a darker version of Halo CE's 'metal narrow strips', so I could just swap my custom bitmap in the material editor rather than remapping all the faces.

Picture 5:

Main view of blue side. No changes made here other than a little optimization and the mapping of the cliffs. Note that the all cliffs are either infinity cliffs, or b30 cliffs, so I can save on the total materials used.

Picture 6:

A view of the revised Sentinel Wall segment. Obviously, I will be cloning this segment several times and welding them together. You can see a weird black cone; this is a light volume, my first one ever. Based on my understanding of things, I am creating one correctly, but we'll see how it goes. The wall is, of course, almost exclusively inspired by Halo 2, right down to mapping, but I would like to point out that other than the bitmaps and idea, everything you see is my own, as in I did not rip anything. That segment was built from scratch with a source in mind.

Picture 7:

A shot of the upper detail of the segment. You can see two lights thrown in (for the hell of it; adds a nice touch, I think) and a field pulse bitmap added to the spire element of the segment. This is the same bitmap used in the opening cutscene of the Halo 2 level Sacred Icon, as is the corresponding energy field and its respective bitmap. I'm hoping the final result will be convincing.

Picture 8:

A grand view of work so far. Requiem in its majesty. I believe I am done with the terrain. Each side has a substantial base and a secondary addin (red has the conduit, blue has the pipes), plus hills, cliffs, and a half of the minimap. I'd like to add in some more structures (capable of housing players, as in some sort of secondary base), because there are not enough in the map, but tell me what you think. If I need to know ASAP so I can boolean in the walls, clean em up, and finish this bad boy up! It's extremely close to leaving the modeling stage and entering the tool debugging stage (yay...)

Also, flyingpenguin117, I'd be more than willing to add in a slow-moving AA defense vehicle, provided someone else make it. I do not have time as is. Perhaps that can be my next endeavor after Requiem.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 18, 2011 11:57 PM    Msg. 377 of 1498       
Have you ever actually had/got any of this in game?
It looks lagtastic.

Reaper 201

Rezurrected to Kill

Posted: Feb 19, 2011 12:47 AM    Msg. 378 of 1498       
You sir, are awesome!

PoeticRulesAll

Elmo <3's 1120

Posted: Feb 19, 2011 09:04 AM    Msg. 379 of 1498       
You're amazing. The piece of art and environment looks great. Those bases look amazing in the picture... and I really hope the vehicles and weapons will be, too.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 19, 2011 10:42 AM    Msg. 380 of 1498       
So is it going to be a snow type map? Looks awesome. Once again Cannot wait till it's in-game a process which I am willing to hep with.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 01:57 PM    Msg. 381 of 1498       
Grass type map. I have my first all-inclusive ground bitmap made, and it looks decent. I'm banking on getting it to shade like the blood gulch bitmap (i.e. green areas have a grass detail map, everything else has a sand detail map).

On the subject of bitmaps, I need some help here: I use several Halo 2 bitmaps, none of which have bump maps, at least of the same design as CE bump maps. All the Halo 2 bump maps seems to be on a blue-based scale, while CE uses grayscale. I played around with a few textures and tried to turn them into bump maps, but they are too rough, unlike the CE stock bump maps. I tried converting the Halo 2 bump maps to grayscale and cleaning them up, but it doesn't get me things like scratches, or rust splotches. Only the basic design. Not to mention some of the textures I use didn't have a corresponding bump map from what I could tell.

So, that being said, I am looking for anyone that is willing to take about 10 or so textures I have and make quality bump maps out of them. Hell, even if you can make a few bump maps, that would be great. Your reward for doing so, in addition to recognition in my readme (and eternal fame and glory) is the option to provide me with some sort of thing (bitmap, design structure, etc) of your choice that acts as a sort of easter egg; a tribute to your contribution. I will do my best to accommodate such an egg of your choice into Requiem.

Act now! I need these things done quickly. The design stage is ending, and I will be moving on into tool building and debugging shortly.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 02:03 PM    Msg. 382 of 1498       
i will do that for you, if you want.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 06:14 PM    Msg. 383 of 1498       
Pelican will likely be the model from extinction with little modification. I may tweak the speed values, but they may be fine as is. I will probably keep them at defaults, then change them if results from beta testing show a trend in desire for faster speeds. There will already be the AA hog from extinction, with tweaked missiles, plus the jet missiles may deal more damage.

But fret not; I have spent a lot of time thinking about balance and equality. Right now you should hopefully see such thinking in the layout of the minimap, and hopefully the main map too (by the way, I will be adding one more structure to each side to give players somewhere to go to besides just a hill or cliff or the base. Said structure will be large and have at least some walkspace for players to take shelter).

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 08:11 PM    Msg. 384 of 1498       
There will already be the AA hog from extinction, with tweaked missiles

I think you should remove the minigun from the Anti-Air Hog, so the player could only utilize the missile launcher. Either that, or turn the minigun into some sort of flak cannon for use against smaller, faster fighters, while the missiles would be best utilized against heavier, less agile targets.

ymt iz back

-gamer- -modder-

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 10:37 PM    Msg. 385 of 1498       
wow, this is looking awesome.

Page 11 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 8 · 9 · 10 · [11] · 12 · 13 · 14 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 18, 2019 10:40 PM 625 ms.
A Halo Maps Website