A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 2 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 2 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 04:20 PM    Msg. 36 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: darkassassin14
yes i no this but they dont always have the shiva nukes. so the mines should replace the nuke, the missiles can stay, and you could add the rotary cannons.

The mines are for exo-atmospheric use only. They would just drop to the ground if you tried to use them in anything but a 0-G environment.

Rotary Cannons and Missiles would work, though.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 04:22 PM    Msg. 37 of 1498       
i no the mines are for space but it would be kinda cool to drop mines.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 11:11 PM    Msg. 38 of 1498       
lol cheeseballs. that switch bsp thing sounds cool.

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 03:06 AM    Msg. 39 of 1498       
if you want to, you can implement the 110 rotary cannons, with a little bit of projectile drop, since the cannon shots aren't supposed to travel completely straight for long distances and would be affected by gravity.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 03:59 AM    Msg. 40 of 1498       
yea that sounds like a good idea

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 01:31 PM    Msg. 41 of 1498       
@Echo77: yes, thank you for reminding me. I neglected to mention my intent to make a new beam rifle with different projectile properties and a new skin. I think purple for general and red for specialized is good.

For those debating the Longsword modifications: the Longsword will receive no changes aside from a new secondary weapon that isn't the noobarific nuke that causes more suicides than kills, and I may do something to the missiles. I considered replacing them with rotary canons, more like those of the coldsnap jet, but that would make the Longsword too vulnerable. I'll probably just decrease the damage and ROF of said missiles.

@Zira: sorry, but I'm not going to change the Covie ship, purely because I've got enough going on in this project and I'm too lazy to do it. If I were to be provided with the model (skinned and all), then I'd replace it. But for now, it remains the altered Extinction rip it is.

Yes, I love the Pelican as well. I second your motion there.

The depression was an experiment in breaking up the boring monotony of the Sentinel Wall. It also allows the player to camp there, though I'm not fond of giving players camping spots. If by 'making a house call' you mean bump possessing a Sentinel, then the answer is no. You're a Spartan, and only a Spartan. If people want to make a solo version of my map, or modify it, then they can have at it. Adding bump possessable bipeds would be too much in my opinion.

The ships will not be accessible. I may or may not put a hanger in the POA, but the Covie ship won't have anything going for it. I don't like how the only way to access the interiors was by use of a teleporter network. That's unrealistic. Besides, I don't envision anyone battling in there, and given the size of the map, they won't need the cover. Again, modifiers are welcome to have at it.

Sorry to shoot all your ideas down, but the BSP switcher is for now a negative. I hate that I'm saying no to about every one of your ideas, but I'm swamped with this project at is, to say nothing about other tasks in my life. I'm not opposed at all to including one; right now, I have no plans for it simply because I have other things I'd like to worry about first. That, and I don't really know how to make one, though I know I could locate help. I will consider it.

None of those suggestions were in the least stupid or absurd or whatever. I'm glad you had many suggestions and presented them in a smooth, pleasant to read format. I like Cheetos, not so much cheeseballs.

@sragejohnson: elaborate on these 'cannon shots'. Are they bullets? Missiles? Shells?

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 02:57 PM    Msg. 42 of 1498       
an avatar quote that isn't there anymore.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 03:27 PM    Msg. 43 of 1498       
lol cheer-up old chum.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 05:00 PM    Msg. 44 of 1498       
@CAG: Autocannons fire large-caliber shells. They have a small explosive effect as well. Think of the main guns found on a Brute Chopper.

I think you should have a hangar for each ship, if nothing else. Where would the fighters go? Unless of course you've already planned out a special place for them.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 05:04 PM    Msg. 45 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
@CAG: Autocannons fire large-caliber shells. They have a small explosive effect as well. Think of the main guns found on a Brute Chopper.

I think you should have a hangar for each ship, if nothing else. Where would the fighters go? Unless of course you've already planned out a special place for them.

I'm envisioning something like the hangars on Asis.

Having the fighters take off from the ground makes very little sense (like orig. extinction). Keep the ground-based vehicles/drop ships on the ground, and the air vehicles in a hangar of some-sorts or a kind of landing pad (like No Way Out)

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 05:13 PM    Msg. 46 of 1498       
yea that makes sense. like a landing pad or something. e.g. rpgbeta6-2

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 05:42 PM    Msg. 47 of 1498       
@Zura: ah, well, I suppose that's not a bad idea, though I never considered it, much less thought of it. Perhaps I can arrange for that.

@Echo77 and the others: good point. I was going to include the hanger, and put the majority of the ships in there, but the Covies would be left without there own. I did consider taking the Covie hanger seen in Truth, but then I'd have to retexture it, and somehow get it in a bent and mangled (not to mention uneven) Covie ship, i.e. the hanger would be titled because of the ship's resting position.

But, I got you all covered. For the humans at least, I do have plans to include a ground based hanger for the majority of air vehicles, and a small runway strip for the jets, just for show, all next to some Forerunner structures (one of which is reminiscent of the beam emitters hehehe). I don't have an equivalent planned for the Covies because I have no idea how their ships 'take-off' (yes, most are VTOL, but even we have designated VTOL pads). I think they'll just get the remnants of some decrepit Forerunner establishment.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 05:46 PM    Msg. 48 of 1498       
Perhaps a run-down Forerunner hangar? Or maybe even a structure built into the face of the cliff itself.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 05:49 PM    Msg. 49 of 1498       
You nailed it. FOr the humans, their 'hanger' is really the decrepit interior of a Forerunner structure, placed among a series of other Forerunner structures. The airstrip is of course human-made, but it is positioned nearby the 'hanger', which is built into the cliff itself. Or at least most of it is.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 06:19 PM    Msg. 50 of 1498       
wow this sounds cool.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 07:10 PM    Msg. 51 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zira Vadum
an avatar quote that isn't there anymore.

Ever since I went emo.......anti-depressants epically fail, btw.

anti Depresents dont work trust me. Find God, he made me happier, i used to be super depressed

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 07:48 PM    Msg. 52 of 1498       
lol. nothing can really stop depression. but anyway you should but some sentinels patrolling the walls. and if someone kills them the respawn inside a sentinel factory and come outand patrol again. this would be like halo 3 worthy scenery.

yayaplols

Cara bel, cara mia bella! Mia bambina, oh ciel....

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 08:04 PM    Msg. 53 of 1498       
ah but who cares? they're just fo sho... eh.. one or two is lost.. not like someone will notice...

yayaplols

Cara bel, cara mia bella! Mia bambina, oh ciel....

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 08:24 PM    Msg. 54 of 1498       
O
But still... just add like 1 per player that joins... and besides they will only attack you if you attack it >.>

Hai

anyways.. people will be to distracted about the enemy attacking their base, taking their flag, t-bagging, etc... that only a few people will attack them...

Thar

Edited by yayaplols on Aug 23, 2010 at 08:26 PM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 08:53 PM    Msg. 55 of 1498       
you can make them your friends so they dont attack. or take away ther weapons. or (here's the good one) make them not pay attention to you even if you shoot them like in halo 3's construct or isolation.

olly12345

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 07:11 AM    Msg. 56 of 1498       
you can make them your friends so they dont attack. or take away ther weapons. or (here's the good one) make them not pay attention to you even if you shoot them like in halo 3's construct or isolation.

i swear i saw a map with pelicans flying overhead... it was a desert map... thats all i remember.
if you could see how that worked, replace the pelicans with sentinels and you're good to go!

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 08:23 AM    Msg. 57 of 1498       
Desert map eh? Pelicans overhead? Probably Extinction with devmode on and a bunch of spawned Pelicans haha. I'm sure with a little research I could modify the Sentinels to ignore all forms of attack and movement, and simply fly in somewhat randomized flight patterns, but that would add to the map size and could lag the server, not to mention they still won't sync.

@darkassassin14: see above. I'm not going to put in a Sentinel factory either. That would only contribute to the total vertex count and force me to optimize elsewhere, which could (and more than likely will) reduce the overall quality and credibility of the map. At the most, I will only add in dumb Sentinels (as described above). If anything, killing them would spawn a Sentinel Beam, much as it does in Halo 2 and the CMT series.

And guys, watch your comments. Some of you are swaying from the purpose of this thread, and if Dennis notices, you could get banned. I'm not saying some of those extraneous comments were all bad, I myself being of Christian faith, but that is something for PMs if you want to continue that discussion. And yayaplols, you're the closest. Just be mindful of your feelings, for they betray you...oops, wrong quote...anyways...

Megaguirus

Om nom nom

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 08:31 AM    Msg. 58 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: olly12345

i swear i saw a map with pelicans flying overhead... it was a desert map... thats all i remember.

Those were a device machine

It's WW battlefield
Edited by Megaguirus on Aug 24, 2010 at 08:32 AM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 02:54 PM    Msg. 59 of 1498       
just make the sentinels as scenery then. and make them out of reach. like over the wall.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 09:10 PM    Msg. 60 of 1498       
Then they would serve no purpose other than contributing to the total map size and possibly presenting some lag. And I don't want to animate them or give them animations or whatever. So that means that unless someone else could do it, those Sentinels will just...float there, looking out of place and awkward. Besides, you never see any Sentinels guarding the Wall in Halo 2, albeit you encounter them later as you progress away from the wall and towards the Library (which is beast, by the way).

Why should they be included? Seriously, perhaps there's a reason I'm overlooking.

olly12345

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 11:30 PM    Msg. 61 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Then they would serve no purpose other than contributing to the total map size and possibly presenting some lag. And I don't want to animate them or give them animations or whatever. So that means that unless someone else could do it, those Sentinels will just...float there, looking out of place and awkward. Besides, you never see any Sentinels guarding the Wall in Halo 2, albeit you encounter them later as you progress away from the wall and towards the Library (which is beast, by the way).

Why should they be included? Seriously, perhaps there's a reason I'm overlooking.

i think they'd just be cool, but i agree that chances are it's just cause problems with map size.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 12:26 AM    Msg. 62 of 1498       
then wat about an animated skybox. and in halo 3's isolation they're patrolling the wall that's containing you.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 05:46 PM    Msg. 63 of 1498       
It would be cool, but there aren't really any gameplay benefits of including them. Perhaps put a few deactivated husks of Sentinals long abandoned, but aside from that, I don't see a purpose in having animated ones.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 06:25 PM    Msg. 64 of 1498       
yea that sounds good. and i suggest using the sky from ambry ceclan. its epic.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 07:55 PM    Msg. 65 of 1498       
The Pit has a cooler sky. Very well-suited to a grassy environment.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 08:56 PM    Msg. 66 of 1498       
yea ur right. it is better for grasslands.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 27, 2010 07:21 PM    Msg. 67 of 1498       
It gives the map the illusion of being bigger than it is. And in the areas where the opposite side of the map is too far away to load, it helps things blend together. It appears to be less of a hole in the level, and more like a generic valley-thing.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 27, 2010 09:27 PM    Msg. 68 of 1498       
yea. but one thing though. if there's no ring it'll feel like someone didn't know wat they wer doing. like it won't fit with the level. especially having the sentinel wall. Unless it was on a shield world. but then again why the sentinel wall. see, it'll cause problems with story even though we just want good gameplay.
Edited by darkassassin14 on Aug 27, 2010 at 09:28 PM

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 11:12 PM    Msg. 69 of 1498       
All very valid points. I actually don't have a plan for the sky right now. I'm more concerned about getting to the part where I actually need a sky haha. It'll probably end up being the generic a30 or timberland sky. The concept of the Pit sky is good though...perhaps someone could just toss in Threshold, Basis, and the rest of installation 04? Then I could use it legitimately.

Here's an update on the blue side of the minimap (red side will be mirrored once blue side is done. Of course I will edit red side to vary it from blue side):

Album:
http://img198.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture1px.png

First picture:

Second:

Explanation:

The bases are obviously those from [s]Beaver[/s] Battle Creek. The gray stuff around them is excess polys I put in to make merging with the minimap easier, and so I could move hte bases around easier. The various objects you see about the map are the in-gmax scenery additions. These objects are not scenery items, and have been meticulously modeled to accurately represent something of Forerunner origin. Even then, they don't look as good as I wish they did...but I am my worst critic.

In the center-ish area, there are six Forerunner 'rungs', as I've come to call them, that break up that center depression shaped like a trapezoid. Hogs and possibly tanks will spawn there. By the bases are some more scenic additions designed to provide some cover, and of course, break up the flatness.

The white spire-like object is my own take on the spires seen in Extinction; yes, it will launch those famous energy orbs as soon as I figure out why the blue ones work fine but the red ones don't...or why when I edit the geometry of the orb, it makes the whole thing unusable (the thing makes a sound then the orb freezes a couple feet ABGL). I am not familiar with device_machines, so don't lecture me on my lack of skill there. I'll fix it later.

What I need now: feedback. Knowing that I will put in some scenery tags later, like barrels, crates, etc, and vehicles to further provide cover, do you guys think that the current arrangement provides enough map variety for good, somewhat balanced combat? I'm doing my best to think like Bungie here, but I can only get so far. I want the minimap to provide adequate cover for ground combat while at the same time remain relatively 'uncongested' for vehicular travel and combat. I think I have a pretty good balance as it is, but I want to know what you all think, since you will hopefully be playing it, and enjoying your time.

On that note, you may notice that one is fixed and white (no UVW for that one), while the other, closer one is textured and broken. The spires are actual scenery tags, as are the broken elements (top and bottom). Mostly, I broke one to use the fallen pieces (soon to be pieces, but currently it's only one) as cover. The position is tentative. I placed them to see how it'd look. The top and bottom are completely independent of one another; as such, I can position each one wherever. I will release those tags (fixed, broken top, broken bottom) at a later date.

Again, do not comment on the UVWing. It ain't done, don't worry about it. The terrain is open, shapes of the structures, stuff like that. On all of the structures you see (like the massive support mast, bases, etc) all have a relatively complete UVW mapping. You may comment on those if you wish to see some textures swapped, or if you see something that looks out of place, such as a mis-IDed triangle, or stretched mapping.

A hearty thanks goes out to the participants of this thread! With your help, this map could turn into something popular that people have fun playing. Such is my goal.

Echo77

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 06:14 AM    Msg. 70 of 1498       
Looks great, but like you said, some stacks of barrels, boxes, crates, etc would add some much-needed cover.

Page 2 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri April 26, 2019 8:57 AM 625 ms.
A Halo Maps Website