A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Requiem - Extinction on Steroids

Page 13 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 10 · 11 · 12 · [13] · 14 · 15 · 16 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Requiem - Extinction on Steroids (1498 messages, Page 13 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 12:00 PM    Msg. 421 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Quote: --- Original message by: Alberto
Might want to change name, Sel going to finish before you and being a dick about it on Modacity.

Eh? Someone else using the name Requiem for the their map?

IMO? What does that stand for? And if the Pelican has problems because of a bad model, I'll need to fix it before it goes in. I haven't noticed any weird glitching problems with the Pelican in Extinction, and I fly one whenever possible. I love those things (look at my profile picture).

IMO just means "in my opinion"

Also you will only find the error if you are actually trying to fly through a seam. It work's "best" on tight corner areas like if the map had an edge with faces like < then you would be able to fly through the left side of it from the right side.

I love pelican's to man. Best dropship EVER designed.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 12:25 PM    Msg. 422 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Alberto
Might want to change name, Sel going to finish before you and being a dick about it on Modacity.

Eh? Someone else using the name Requiem for the their map?

IMO? What does that stand for? And if the Pelican has problems because of a bad model, I'll need to fix it before it goes in. I haven't noticed any weird glitching problems with the Pelican in Extinction, and I fly one whenever possible. I love those things (look at my profile picture).

Yeah Selentic's using Requiem for his map. It looks like quite a good map, but he's being way too ignorant when it comes to being nice to other mapmakers that have a more fitting map for the name. His map doesn't even suit the name Requiem. Lol.

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 01:18 PM    Msg. 423 of 1498       
Three words.

Love. The. Map.

In terms of using Pelicans, I would suggest nerfing the armour somewhat, as the only valid way (AFAIK) to kill the pilot was to snipe/rocket the cockpit. Otherwise, you could fire a damn nuke at the interior of the Peli and the pilot would still survive (based on my experience).

Hopefully the weapons will be balanced enough to provide stable gameplay for both sides (as seen on Extinction, the Red side was heavily underpowered and outgunned) and each weapon will have a base opponent (as you said, AR v PR; BR v Carbine; SMG v Needler/Spiker; etc.) to avoid those issues.

More eye-candy, please, I'm almost drooling at visualizing what it would look like ingame.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 01:54 PM    Msg. 424 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: UBE Chief
Three words.

Love. The. Map.

In terms of using Pelicans, I would suggest nerfing the armour somewhat, as the only valid way (AFAIK) to kill the pilot was to snipe/rocket the cockpit. Otherwise, you could fire a damn nuke at the interior of the Peli and the pilot would still survive (based on my experience).

Hopefully the weapons will be balanced enough to provide stable gameplay for both sides (as seen on Extinction, the Red side was heavily underpowered and outgunned) and each weapon will have a base opponent (as you said, AR v PR; BR v Carbine; SMG v Needler/Spiker; etc.) to avoid those issues.

More eye-candy, please, I'm almost drooling at visualizing what it would look like ingame.

Agreed.

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 02:04 PM    Msg. 425 of 1498       
Eye candy will come soon. I need to take some pictures first, but am currently busy with academics.

So another mapmaker has Requiem? When did he publicly announce this? To my knowledge, I was first, and as you implied, my map actually suits the name 'Requiem'. I plan on continuing with the name Requiem, and if any of you know this other individual, please inform him/her that I'd like to have dibs on this name so I don't have to release another map by the name of Requiem if he/she finishes first.

I don't know for sure, but it looks like I have more community support anyway. I could be wrong, but the fact that I have received no negative feedback, and heaps of positive feedback and suggestions, leads me to believe public reception is quite high. Players are even drooling.

Weapons will be counterparted as best I can, as will the sides of each map (i.e. Blue/Covenant vs. Red/human). A lot of thought is going into this, as I loathe being on red side knowing that I won't play against a single player with skill; only morons who hop in a Longsword and camp the flying f*** out of red side's conveniently exposed spawns.

FYI, to those of you culpable of noobery (myself included in some situations), I would like to apologize: I am attempting to defeat noobery on my map. You can bet if I see someone doing some stupid BS like nuking incessantly on opposing spawns, and I'm the admin, that fool will be gone in a heartbeat. I cannot stand the atrocity of such idiotic maneuvers, and I will not stand for it. This is why so much thought is going into tagging my map, in addition to the design. There aren't nearly as much open spawns on both sides.

I get I won't be able to rid my map of the noob plague, but that ain't stopping me from trying. Originally, I tried to design a map with virtually no good camping grounds, but the only way that seems to be conceivably possible is to make a map that is nothing more than a flat plain.

Oh, anyone have good cliff/cave bitmaps, detail maps, and/or bump maps? I wouldn't mind have a different cliff to use other than those of Infinity or Death Island.

POQPrince

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 02:14 PM    Msg. 426 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
I love pelican's to man. Best dropship EVER designed.

I wonder if Gonzo could use Penguin & Co.'s new PELICAN that he was designing for his forthcoming THE PIT map for Halo CE? It looks good!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/pelican_engine_unwrap_4.jpg
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?18239-The-Pit-Preview
Edited by POQPrince on Mar 23, 2011 at 02:18 PM

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 03:09 PM    Msg. 427 of 1498       
ya right

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 03:36 PM    Msg. 428 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL
I don't care because I don't take it seriously, as long as we are making maps.
Sel doesn't really care about the name. The final judgement would have to be who uploads to halomaps first anyway.

I would like to see some bsp pics too. I'm interested in how others make bsps.

SeL

https://twitter.com/FalldogStudio

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 03:46 PM    Msg. 429 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Sel doesn't really care about the name. The final judgement would have to be who uploads to halomaps first anyway.

I would like to see some bsp pics too. I'm interested in how others make bsps.

If you're going to quote me atleast get the quote right.

Thanks.

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 03:50 PM    Msg. 430 of 1498       
Darn, you caught me. I'm just trying to keep us from getting sidetracked. But you know what, let's just be negative and get this over with. I'll just stop following these two projects now.

Alberto

Disillusioned by the internet. Getting a life..

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 06:26 PM    Msg. 431 of 1498       
I apologize to both of you but I am making a map called Requiem as well.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 07:36 PM    Msg. 432 of 1498       
Oh c'mon. I want Requiem. Do we have disputes regarding whose map shall bear the name Requiem? If so, let's work them out now.

Ok, so here are a few pictures:

Album:
http://img849.imageshack.us/g/blueaddendum.jpg/

Picture 1:

Blue addendum, in progress. Basically, I took a portion of the stream and surrounding area and detached it for easier editing. I added a cave to cover said stream area, added some nice cliffs (circled), and am working on the actual addendum, which will be built under the hills/cliff. The weird square thingy protruding from the hill (circled) is the vehicle entrance to the addendum. So far, this is nothing more than a30 style tunnels linked to a cave that meshes (or will mesh) with the surface. What you see is the part designed to mesh with the hill.

The existing structure, also circled, will be a personnel entrance; it is nothing more than a b40 style walkway (small) that will meet up with a room, that will meet up with the larger interior. The interior base design is the purple thing meshed with the structure. It's simply a box right now, but will be modified appropriately once I finalize the design.

Picture 2:

The circled section represents the area I detached from the main map for modification. When I complete the modifications, it will go right back where it was. Please excuse the horrible smoothing; I was testing various auto-smoothing levels at the time, and have not finalized the smoothing groups as of now.

you can also see a sort of strut around the middle of the picture. It's the same strut used in the smaller structure seen in Picture 1. I was experimenting with possible additions, and have not removed it. I doubt I will use it.

Picture 3:

A closeup of the small structure. It isn't much, and originally wasn't going to lead anywhere, as evidenced by the polygon blocking the entrance. It will now lead to the interior.

Picture 4:

Red addendum. A large wall meshed into some cliffs, particularly the cliff line on red side by the secondary wall. The interior is done, but given the stream of ideas I've been concocting for blue addendum, I may go back and make some changes. It has 4 teleporters and some doors you can't go through, just to emphasize the fact that this structure is more than just a convenient, one-way shelter; the doors hint at other adjacent spaces (not designed though, as much as I'd love to model a ridiculously complete Forerunner interior like that). The entrance is large enough to accept two tanks with room to spare. The space itself is quite large, and uses components from c20 and b40, with inspiration from a30.

Picture 5:

Wide view of the addendum. I shortened the cliffs about 3 times over. The result is quite nice, actually. I may extend the cliffs out a bit more, to offer more protection to the entrance of the addendum, seeing as how blue addendum has a cave protecting most of its main entrance, and a large hill protecting its 'back door'. By protection I mean protection from across-the-map combat. I want to force the players to get a bit closer by adding such protection, but not to the point where they practically have to go inside to fight.

Picture 6:

An overview of work thus far. The secondary and tertiary walls have been completely booleaned in, and most of the affected faces have been remapped. I added some Sentinel Wall pieces to get a feel for how many I wanted in to give the illusion of a complete wall that stretches far beyond line of sight. Right now there are 12 segments, and I'm trying to figure out how to boolean them into the map and still have their geometry contained within the skybox (my skybox stops at the secondary and tertiary walls, but as you can see, the Sentinel Wall extends past this boundary, necessitating an extension of the sky geometry).

Alberto

Disillusioned by the internet. Getting a life..

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 08:15 PM    Msg. 433 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
The final judgement would have to be who uploads to halomaps first anyway.

Does not excuse being total nub about it.

Resized :[
Edited by Alberto on Mar 23, 2011 at 08:21 PM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Apr 2, 2011 12:52 AM    Msg. 434 of 1498       
alright this is looking good. you already started mapping the main map. thats a good sign. judging by that this should be ready to go ingame in about 2 months maybe. is that an accurate guess? maybe a month if you dedicated all your time into it.

Ubergoober

Posted: Apr 7, 2011 03:05 AM    Msg. 435 of 1498       
hows it going? can we have an update plz?

nick347b

Knick | PQ Admin

Posted: Apr 9, 2011 01:21 PM    Msg. 436 of 1498       
This looks fantastic, really looking foward to its release!

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 05:38 PM    Msg. 437 of 1498       
http://img685.imageshack.us/g/redaddenduminside2.jpg/

Updates:

Picture 1:

Red addendum interior. After starting on blue's addendum, I became unhappy with this one. It's a good design, but it needs more detail. The large and small doors lead nowhere. There are two hallways up high that are accessible via cheat_teleport_to_camera only. They're just there to make it look like the room has additional functionality, and maybe to hold an egg or two.

More:

Various views of the interior. Ignore the mapping fails. I forgot about them when I cloned the first half and welded the two together. There's some detail going on in there, but I'd like to add more.

Blue addendum:

Pictures:

Various views of blue's addendum. I think this one will prove to be a much better implementation of my knowledge of Forerunner construction and pieces of Bungie's maps. As you can see, it is largely based off of the light bridge room from a30. I have moved the actual bridge a location perpendicular to the original a30, and it will now be busted.

The purple object is a portion of hallway from b40. I'm working on connecting the addendum to the smaller door seen in my previous update post. It is this area that is hanging me up. Work has been slow at best, as I find it difficult to determine what to add next. The addendum itself is still quite devoid of detail and designs that break up the monotony of the base configuration.

ziko

Raw!

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 08:53 PM    Msg. 438 of 1498       
This is beautiful best of luck your doing a great job i cant wait untill it is release your very dedicated to this well done keep going :)

UBE Chief

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 09:05 PM    Msg. 439 of 1498       
Agreed, although I must ask, why put so much detail into the base interiors? Most players (myself included :x) just want to get to the action, so really detailed interiors aren't really needed.

Your show, your game, but either way, the work is excellent. Keep up the great work - quite a few of us would like to see more eye-candy along with an alpha sooner or later (hopefully sooner, but quality work takes time - take your time ^_^).

- Chief

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 09:19 PM    Msg. 440 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: UBE Chief
Agreed, although I must ask, why put so much detail into the base interiors? Most players (myself included :x) just want to get to the action, so really detailed interiors aren't really needed.

Ah, the beauty of dilemma. I considered that, but summarily discounted the notion, hoping that these areas would prove popular anyways. Perhaps I'll set Slayer to start in the addendums, with teleporters linking the two. This would force more use out of the areas for Slayer types. I get that the most popular gametype will likely be CTF, and that will cause these areas to be less visited, but I'm planning to include spawns there, so anyone that somehow manages to camp the main base and flag home will not be able to consistently eliminate the team perpetually.

IcePhoenix

-Minor modeler-

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 09:35 PM    Msg. 441 of 1498       
Btw I haven't really followed your map much but I think it would be a good idea to have a mannable AA chaingun turret in each team's spawn. The operator would take very little damage from attacks. To prevent camping from above, the operator can fire at enemy aircraft in range to deter them. The s damage would be low, but it would have a very fast firerate and cause white flashes. Essentially it blinds and deters campers in the air. The turret would have largely limited range.

Also I think you should change your map name now, SeL's adamant, and tbh he seems to be much closer to finishing.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 09:37 PM    Msg. 442 of 1498       
Quote: --- Original message by: IcePhoenix
cause white flashes.

NO!!!

****ing *** ******* of a ****** with a side of ****** NOOOOOO!!!!!

UBE Chief

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 10:32 PM    Msg. 443 of 1498       
I've also asked in SeL's topic that he change his map's name to something more fitting (my suggestion being Archaeon), but he definitely seems to be too focused on keeping his vision - as it were - on having the name set in stone as Requiem.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 11:17 PM    Msg. 444 of 1498       
I'd unsubscribe from that thread unless you're providing feedback about his oh so superior map. I tried being reasonable about it but it somehow exploded into some drawn out ordeal before I realized he and his pathetic followers aren't understanding a word of what I say. If he names his dick map Requiem, he names his dick map Requiem. I'll think of a different name. All those people over there beating a dead horse killed my desire for sticking to the name anyway. He's dead set on it. The fool even ignored my feedback (and most others, too). Good grief.

Any suggestions for this last piece to the puzzle 9blue addendum), as well as improvements for red addendum? It's all the design I have planned at this point. Following the completion and merging of these addendums (rather blue addendum only, as red is already merged), I need to map and mesh the remaining pieces. And figure out how to get the Sentinel Wall inside the skybox geometry. My current setup isn't allowing for that (failure to plan ahead for that one).

Oh, the Covenant Carrier is going away. Even though I sliced the thing at about where it meets the water bed, it's still costing me 1500 faces for something you can only see. I mean I was already planning to put it behind an invisible barrier, and set its materials to render-only, so it wouldn't really provide any new gameplay elements. Besides, the odds that the Halycon class cruiser and the Covenant cruiser both crashed that close to each other after dueling above Halo seem really low. Maybe I'll hang a bitmap of one off in the sky somewhere.

UBE Chief

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 11:42 PM    Msg. 445 of 1498       
Hehe, I rarely subscribe to anything here. I just pop in every now and again and see what's going on.

As for the Blue Addendum, I would suggest not overcomplecating it. Over-complexity is the downfall to many players wanting to play your map. A simple (or simplified) interior is key if you want current players to continuously play your map.

I think that's the main reason why the more compact, CQB maps are easily forgotten - players nowadays rather go on a sniping spree on a huge map instead of getting down and dirty with good weapons and inconsistant encounters.

In that case, I guess my Adjutant Map Pack will easily be forgotten as well. No large box maps to cross-snipe across, and no OP'd vehicles to take shelter/own in. Ah well.

Ubergoober

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 03:24 AM    Msg. 446 of 1498       
the pics look great! i really hope this map gets finished, it looks awesome. i believe that maps like this DO need detail, especially in the bases, one thing i dislike about massive maps is the lack of detail and care taken whether its in the bases or on the cliffs.

SeL

https://twitter.com/FalldogStudio

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 05:47 AM    Msg. 447 of 1498       
The fool even ignored my feedback (and most others, too). Good grief.

Yes, how dare I ignore your feedback. Are you really this childish?

Believe it or not, all opinions are not created equal, and you, as the guy making a 5km box map definitely aren't in a position to get all elitist on me about ignoring your feedback.

:3

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 07:38 AM    Msg. 448 of 1498       
I am so sick of hearing from you. Get off my thread if you having nothing to contribute. I don't give a damn if you listen to or even acknowledge my feedback. It just seems odd that your thread, posted to acquire feedback, would end up moot because you get all elitist and big-headed in your mapping skills, and ignore the feedback, not just from me, but from others, too (hence the parenthetical 'and most others, too' you imbecile).

Grow a pair and stop whining about the littlest things.

IcePhoenix

-Minor modeler-

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 08:14 AM    Msg. 449 of 1498       
Sorry, but I have to tell you he has not whined at all, you did that.
You guys need to argue in PMs, you're blown one thread already, don't do it again.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 09:29 AM    Msg. 450 of 1498       
Well I guess I might as well just stop now. Morons like him are just going to hurt my map and its status. I'm not in it for that.

IcePhoenix

-Minor modeler-

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 09:45 AM    Msg. 451 of 1498       
Unfortunately, if you really had stopped, you wouldn't have called him I moron.
Well now I'm gonna stop following this, until there's a thread called [RELEASE] Requiem.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 10:17 AM    Msg. 452 of 1498       
I didn't mean stop calling SeL out for what he is acting as. He's undoubtedly intelligent in real life (and has to be in order to have public support due to quality maps), but for some reason he just chose to be a jerk about this situation. I really don't understand what I did to warrant it.

Carter 151

-Character design and Story editor-

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 11:48 AM    Msg. 453 of 1498       
Dude, don't stop working on this map. I really like what you're trying to do. Can't we call it Remembrance? or Unforgotten?

roviet1337

Lord of Admirals

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 03:55 PM    Msg. 454 of 1498       
oh my god... okay i have tried to refrain from getting dragged into this name bickering... but i cant any more. BOTH OF YOU CALL IT REQUIEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you no how many different 'zanzibar' maps there are out there? two requiems will be FINE. the ppl that download them can distinguish.... its not that big of a problem so stop getting upset abt it.

okay back on topic though, this is just an idea im throwing out to you cag but i would consider setting up regions that if u leave you will be killed.. like they have for reach maps, trust me, as far as gameplay goes, that would be immensely beneficial. the map is a wonderful idea and i completely support it but the fact that its so large may be a turn off to some players because you play to spend your time killing not finding the other players you know? just a suggestion

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 04:35 PM    Msg. 455 of 1498       
Everyone stop with the name. It's no longer worth the trouble it engendered. I'll deal with it towards the alpha release.

By kill zones do you mean triggers that kill the players after crossing them AND that are setup towards map limits, i.e. setup to serve as a legitimate seal so the player can't see the map's edges? Or are you talking about a barrier, like in Firefight, that kills you if you venture too far out of the safe zone? I was already planning on setting up kill barriers in addition to other barriers and planes, to include fog and portals.

Page 13 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 10 · 11 · 12 · [13] · 14 · 15 · 16 · ... · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 20, 2019 3:04 AM 1,422 ms.
A Halo Maps Website