A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!?

Page 4 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!? (293 messages, Page 4 of 9)
Moderators: Dennis

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 01:10 AM    Msg. 106 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: assassinchief106
I'm not interested.

That has no correlation to the question Pig posted.

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 01:19 AM    Msg. 107 of 293       
Don't you guys get into this ripping vs. not ripping argument all the time? I mean, it is just a game lol...

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 01:45 AM    Msg. 108 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: d4rfnader
Don't you guys get into this ripping vs. not ripping argument all the time? I mean, it is just a game lol...

This. If you want to tryhard for days on some hi-poly model, go ahead. Likewise, if you want to port some ripped Zelda models in-game, be my guest. If you want to put every vehicle tag on this site into Bloodgulch, then I wouldn't play it, but no one's stopping you. If you want to make a professional-quality map over the course of several months, feel free to. What's important is that it's fun and enjoyable for yourself. So if everyone's happy doing what they're doing, then why do we need to insult what everyone else is doing?

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 01:53 AM    Msg. 109 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: doompig444
Quote: --- Original message by: d4rfnader

This. If you want to tryhard for days on some hi-poly model, go ahead. Likewise, if you want to port some ripped Zelda models in-game, be my guest. If you want to put every vehicle tag on this site into Bloodgulch, then I wouldn't play it, but no one's stopping you. If you want to make a professional-quality map over the course of several months, feel free to. What's important is that it's fun and enjoyable for yourself. So if everyone's happy doing what they're doing, then why do we need to insult what everyone else is doing?

I have respect for people who import (AND GET INGAME) models via that DX mod that exports models from emulators because that's fricken hard.
Edited by Dwood on Oct 19, 2010 at 02:02 AM

anonymous_2009

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:23 AM    Msg. 110 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Why are they leaving? Simple, TOO many people are ripping and not learning.

I never used to release ANYTHING, only gave to the mapping team I was in. Then too many rippers emerged like cockroaches, so I released to try and encourage them to LEARN. But no.

Ive lost respect for the community, too many rippers. The only reason I hate them is because of the vast amount of them and abuse of the rips.

And we all know the above is true, hate me or not, think about it.

So let me get this straight, you flame new members because they rip? Okay, name ONE thing that I ripped and released.

I probably flamed you beause I gave you some crit and you cryed... if no one notices I don't instantly be an ass, I only insult and be an ass when the person I gave crit starts crying and maoning at me, which usual happens.

Unless the person is being a COMPLETE idiot and says something entirly stupid, then I might be a tad more harsh.

If I'm thinking of the correct thread where I replied to you I recall me replying with no insulting or without being harsh in the first post (maybe one mean word), then you cryed so yeah...

Anyway, I ain't starting to talk about that again. So end it.

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 10:27 AM    Msg. 111 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: KillerKip1
Quote: --- Original message by: StatutoryTrOy
there isn't anything wrong with ripping, the people who rip are trying to achieve the highest level of accuracy possible and ripping is that, every time new halo comes out everyone likes to make stuff from that halo, there isn't anything wrong with that, we all like (to some degree) getting a taste of the new halo (at least those of us without xbox's) but the big issue actually lies in a few things, when people don't share their work other people have to make the same stuff making production take longer, making people spend time on a recreation project they could have spent on a custom project, and that leads us to the second problem, people need to start thinking on their own, bungie is really good at making awesome stuff but so can we, people need to get outside of the mindset they are in, and start creating some new stuff.

Nice avatar, I like it

avatar thief!!! *looks at join date* ohhhhhh never mind:)

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 10:48 AM    Msg. 112 of 293       

I never used to release ANYTHING, only gave to the mapping team I was in. Then too many rippers emerged like cockroaches, so I released to try and encourage them to LEARN. But no.

Ive lost respect for the community, too many rippers. The only reason I hate them is because of the vast amount of them and abuse of the rips.

So let me get this straight, you flame new members because they rip? Okay, name ONE thing that I ripped and released.

I probably flamed you because I gave you some crit and you cried... if no one notices I don't instantly be an ass, I only insult and be an ass when the person I gave crit starts crying and moaning at me, which usual happens.

Unless the person is being a COMPLETE idiot and says something entirely stupid, then I might be a tad more harsh.

If I'm thinking of the correct thread where I replied to you I recall me replying with no insulting or without being harsh in the first post (maybe one mean word), then you cried so yeah...

Anyway, I ain't starting to talk about that again. So end it.

FTFY

Actually anonymous you do tend to flame people who aren't sure what they are doing. Why that is, is both you problem and theirs. (what?)

Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

So you complain about people ripping stuff which you hate and yet you will go through the process of making the same thing from scratch having it wind up to high poly, wrapped, and with such high poly it can't run on some machines with out them crashing. (you can disregard the last thing if ya want).

Whereas why go through all that trouble which some people don't even have MAX because it is to much money. While the can just "rip" (oh yes I did) them directly from the game where all they need to do is write or download a program to do it so that it will fit right into the HCE engine textured and all.

None off them are TOO highpoly for in-game, as my latest are not FOR in-game, apart from the low poly versions...

And if they remake from scratch, they learn the skills for later use in making custom content.

And gmax can achieve the same as 3ds max, I never use any special tools in 3ds max...

Most of the reach weapons you made are around 3 million polys. Halo can't handle that. Also I will admit that they do look pretty cool but you should release tuts. If you don't like how someone models you should make a way for them to actually understand what you are saying. For example; saying a model is boxy. If they don't know how to make it "un-boxy" then you should make a tut on how to make it not as boxy.

Plus there are people who don't know how to get models in-game.

Although I do have to agrre to this: "
And if they remake from scratch, they learn the skills for later use in making custom content. " This is true. How ever they must first learn how to model.

-Skidrow

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 02:36 PM    Msg. 113 of 293       
Stay on topic. So far it is an interesting conversation with fairly well presented differing opinions of the subject. Stay to the subject and do not stray into personal issues.

Quote: --- Original message by: Sergeant Major
Dennis posts hypocratic comments and antagonizes others for little reason. ("Go eat your cheese tits)
Maybe you are not old enough to understand the humor or just fail to grasp the context of the statement - context: in a discussion of why profanity is not allowed. Reference: look up George Carlin's "seven words you can't say on tv". Humor: his reference to Nabisco Cheese Tits. Due diligence would improve if not change your reasoning.

abkarch

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 03:23 PM    Msg. 114 of 293       
scolding the moderator of a forum is not the smartest thing you can do...
As a admin of another forum (true, its not a very big one) i can say that after a while, it starts to get very repetitive. Eventually you get tired of dealing with trolls and flamers. And this forum, its trolling and spamming times a bazillion.
The main reason this community is falling apart (and it undoubtedly is) is because no one wants to work together. People get teams together, and people will make stuff, but none of it ever gets released, because the teams get into some stupid argument and fall apart, or people don't want to give their stuff away, so no one can use it but themselves, which is ridiculously stupid. Then you have the new people. There is nothing wrong with asking questions when you are new. The problem is when new people come, and either don't even try to learn, and just leech off of all of us, or they try it for 5 minutes and then say,"F**k this, it's to confusing."
To all the new people: TRY before you ask someone else!
My rambling is done..

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 05:39 PM    Msg. 115 of 293       
I see that for this particular forum, having only ONE mod is a good thing, he has been doing this longer than we have, and while others may be suitable to help, or be in his place, no one is sure if they are responsible enough.

Dennis does a fair job, true harsh, but a good job. He acts like the father figure, aggressive, straight forward, truthful, and well mannered. (keeps us in line).

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 05:41 PM    Msg. 116 of 293       
I see that for this particular forum, having only ONE mod is a good thing, he has been doing this longer than we have, and while others may be suitable to help, or be in his place, no one is sure if they are responsible enough.

Dennis does a fair job, true harsh, but a good job. He acts like the father figure, aggressive, straight forward, truthful, and well mannered. (keeps us in line).

yep, agreed

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 06:17 PM    Msg. 117 of 293       

Well said.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 06:30 PM    Msg. 118 of 293       
I don't really see how new members and people asking ridiculous questions can rip apart a community. Apparantly, this site is becoming more popular and people are hearing that "OH THESE GUYS WILL MAKE MAPS FOR YOU." It's all a part of being a website.

If this causes a community to fall apart, maybe the community isn't mature enough to deal with simple, irrelevant things like that.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 06:39 PM    Msg. 119 of 293       
They are just noobs comparatively.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 06:42 PM    Msg. 120 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: jesse

now and forever la la laaaa

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 06:55 PM    Msg. 121 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
Quote: --- Original message by: jesse

now and forever la la laaaa

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 07:17 PM    Msg. 122 of 293       
Thank you for understanding the moderator role, however I must insist that the thread return to the topic at hand: "Losing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!?"

It has been pretty good so please don't stray.

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:12 PM    Msg. 123 of 293       
I agree to a minor extent on the subject of "Losing more and more editors."

abkarch

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:25 PM    Msg. 124 of 293       
the game is just getting old. less and less people are PLAYING it, so theres less of a reason to make stuff for it.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:41 PM    Msg. 125 of 293       
I play it...
Anyways, there are still hundreds of people on the servers every day. I think its fine.

abkarch

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:43 PM    Msg. 126 of 293       
hundreds. and maybe a tenth of them use custom stuff..

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:50 PM    Msg. 127 of 293       
3/10ths of them play blood gulch.

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:10 PM    Msg. 128 of 293       
Custom mp maps (at least the good ones) are often laggy or are modded to zombies...

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:45 PM    Msg. 129 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch
the game is just getting old. less and less people are PLAYING it, so theres less of a reason to make stuff for it.

I agree at this, its just getting old, the graphics are outdated, and can become and eye sore at times.

Some maps have been able to mask that, with the use of "even mapping", such as being VERY low poly, but EASY to understand (like the graphics in Super Mario 64), and then there is more advanced stuff like the remake of Narrows.

Maybe we should think about making some better texture sets =p

Either way, unless we somehow gain the ability to access the coding, we will never be able to revive this game =/

But while we still have it, might as well join the fight, lol

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:50 PM    Msg. 130 of 293       
This game is (or really, never was) for getting famous by making great looking maps. It's all about fun now, and one thing I'm finding fun is single player maps since Multiplayer has lost its luster.

The Halo 1 Engine is very much capable of more than you give it credit for though.

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 09:56 PM    Msg. 131 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
This game is (or really, never was) for getting famous by making great looking maps. It's all about fun now, and one thing I'm finding fun is single player maps since Multiplayer has lost its luster.

The Halo 1 Engine is very much capable of more than you give it credit for though.

Re-Read what I had just stated, its not the "great looks", its the eye-pleasing effects, something that the mind has an easy time understanding. If you have a High Resolution image in color, and a simple 2d drawing of a stick figure, which one can you understand the most?

Now think of that stick figure in that image, doesnt really fit in. Looks like someone ruined the image by drawing a stick figure on it. But if the image if as simple as the figure, than it would work, and vice versa for the figure and the image.

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 12:18 AM    Msg. 132 of 293       

I agree at this, its just getting old, the graphics are outdated, and can become and eye sore at times.

Some maps have been able to mask that, with the use of "even mapping", such as being VERY low poly, but EASY to understand (like the graphics in Super Mario 64), and then there is more advanced stuff like the remake of Narrows.

Either way, unless we somehow gain the ability to access the coding, we will never be able to revive this game =/

Graphics DO NOT matter in anyway, it's a 2001 game, what would you expect?
Access the netcode? Impossible.

Not sure how the netcode is related to graphics, but okay...

But yes, people start to gravitate toward less limited games and engines, such as CryEngine or Unreal. There isn't really much you can do about that - as technology continues to improve, people will inevitably want to work with newer technology.

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 02:07 AM    Msg. 133 of 293       

I didn't say that, lol.
"unless we somehow gain the ability to access the coding", the second line was replying to that.
Edited by assassinchief106 on Oct 20, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Oh, your improper usage of the term "netcode" threw me off there lol

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 11:25 AM    Msg. 134 of 293       

You want the HCE source code? I found it...

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 11:51 AM    Msg. 135 of 293       
There is no way Microsoft/Bungie would share it.

Who needs them?

abkarch

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 03:16 PM    Msg. 136 of 293       
dont you dare suggest third party programs or opensauce. id have to slap you. cant replace getting the source code. :p

Geared

EPI Creator

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 04:29 PM    Msg. 137 of 293       
^technically correct, because u cant replace what u never had, so having OS or TP apps wont replace the source.....sorry if i make no sense just spent 14 hours doing the physical for army, damn MEPS.......they just love to make u wait...

back OT:
i love halo ce because its where i met alot of friends, learned alot, and improved my skills. but it is limited, especially for my needs. and alot of vet modelers and such are sliding out cause the new crowd is just busting in demanding(well not really but seems like it) new things, or even things better then the original(like reach etc). only a few active members are able to comply with this, and many of those re just not able to because of other things that have their time. then the new crowd gets mad because we rag on rippers, but really if the ppl who made HQ work arent able to to for w/e reason, who will take their place? the new comers with absolutely or minimal experience, who dont want to learn(there are a few who want to but a majority want something for nothing)? the rippers will because they can deliver on wat is wanted.

//end random hunger and sleep deprived fueled rant//

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 05:03 PM    Msg. 138 of 293       

GearBox Software

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 05:07 PM    Msg. 139 of 293       

GearBox Software

Actually it is as simple as opening the exe file.

As per how to do that well... Don't think I will let that out yet ;p

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 05:17 PM    Msg. 140 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

GearBox Software

Actually it is as simple as opening the exe file.

As per how to do that well... Don't think I will let that out yet ;p

Be nice to know, but not very useful to me. Others maybe? yes, but not me.

Back OT now

Page 4 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 20, 2019 6:31 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website