A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!?

Page 5 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!? (293 messages, Page 5 of 9)
Moderators: Dennis

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 06:47 PM    Msg. 141 of 293       
i'll remove this post if i find out what i am suggesting is illegal*

is it possible to find out the source code? i mean without bungie.

Skyancez3o4

I miss CE

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 06:59 PM    Msg. 142 of 293       
Dennis is gonna lock this thread, another reason HCE is dying.

anways, about that tutorial thing on pg1, it's also about the technical difficulties. For Example, I was working on a map but my Tool++ wouldnt work for some unknown reason(Just example, not real) Then people would be like, "What do I do?" And if they dont find their answers, they rage quit. So PATIENCE is one problem.

Another problem is understanding what the tutorial is trying to tell you. I have read 6 tutorials and only fully understood 2 because the other tutorials didnt explain the "in-depth" information because the writer thinks that the readers will magically know what to do next.
So that means tutorials need to be more in-depth and more understand-able

(No offense guys, I respect you that you took the time to make your tutorials and maps but it's simply the truth)
Edited by Skyancez3o4 on Oct 20, 2010 at 07:00 PM

abkarch

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 07:32 PM    Msg. 143 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Quote: --- Original message by: KillerKip1
Quote: --- Original message by: assassinchief106
There is no way Microsoft/Bungie would share it.

GearBox Software

Actually it is as simple as opening the exe file.

As per how to do that well... Don't think I will let that out yet ;p

resource hacker/resource tuner will not give you access to the source. just elements of the EXE file itself. *facepalm*

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 07:53 PM    Msg. 144 of 293       

GearBox Software

I believe Halo's source is property of Microsoft, so if Gearbox were to share it, Microsoft would have cause to bring legal action against them.
E: I could be wrong though, someone please correct me if I am.
Edited by UnevenElefant5 on Oct 20, 2010 at 08:12 PM

abkarch

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 08:05 PM    Msg. 145 of 293       
gearbox ported halo from xbox to PC...you all explain what that means.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 08:12 PM    Msg. 146 of 293       
Yeah, they might HAVE the source code, but that doesn't mean they have the right to release it. Even if Gearbox possesses it, it's still property of Microsoft.

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 08:32 PM    Msg. 147 of 293       
I think we should all be winner and go mod Big Rigs OTR Racing

XxCommanderXx30

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 09:07 PM    Msg. 148 of 293       
wow im gone for a weekend and this many posts geez lol i hadda make this new account cuz my other one got hacked!! >:O

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 09:22 PM    Msg. 149 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch

GearBox Software

Actually it is as simple as opening the exe file.

As per how to do that well... Don't think I will let that out yet ;p

resource hacker/resource tuner will not give you access to the source. just elements of the EXE file itself. *facepalm*

As in open the exe I got it to tell me everything about the program. If that isn't source code then what is?

I am fairly sure it is because of what little I have programed.

-Skidrow

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 09:39 PM    Msg. 150 of 293       
gearbox ported halo from xbox to PC...you all explain what that means.

then why is the gearbox software logo on the xbox game?

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 10:14 PM    Msg. 151 of 293       
It's not. If it is, someone photoshopped it on :|

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 12:12 AM    Msg. 152 of 293       
Be nice to know, but not very useful to me. Others maybe? yes, but not me.

Back OT now

All source code to every single application is open to everyone. You just need to debug it. Edit: Yes, it is this simple.

Granted, it's in german but here's an example:

Edited by Dwood on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM

abkarch

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 06:52 AM    Msg. 153 of 293       
then...why has no one EVER FREAKING USED IT! theres gotta be a reason...

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 06:54 AM    Msg. 154 of 293       
Because it's illegal.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 07:15 AM    Msg. 155 of 293       
And not just any form of illegal: it's Microsoft-illegal.

You really think we want them on our asses, even if it did get us 'attention?'

abkarch

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 07:47 AM    Msg. 156 of 293       
if it means upgrades to the engine, wouldnt ONE person sacrafice themselves. :D

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 10:50 AM    Msg. 157 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood

Be nice to know, but not very useful to me. Others maybe? yes, but not me.

Back OT now

All source code to every single application is open to everyone. You just need to debug it. Edit: Yes, it is this simple.

Granted, it's in german but here's an example:

Edited by Dwood on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Getting it into HEX format is simple. If that is the "source code" then I don't have it. I just opened it so that I could see what happens when you do stuff.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 04:25 PM    Msg. 158 of 293       

They have. How do you think Open Sauce works? Or devmode apps? Or that Timefreeze app by Paulus? Or IGM's Brainz app?

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 04:48 PM    Msg. 159 of 293       

They have. How do you think Open Sauce works? Or devmode apps? Or that Timefreeze app by Paulus? Or IGM's Brainz app?

Why does everyone want the source code and yet not use the apps to get it?

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 05:16 PM    Msg. 160 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skyancez3o4

As I have posted before, as long as this stays a "discussion" with differing opinions backed by reason and not a name calling or flame fest I have no reason to lock this thread.

From my point of view I have found it interesting to see what people think about the subject especially since from day one people thought Halo CE was dead when we never had more that 800 players on line at any one time. And yet after 6 years, a long time for any video game, and four new versions of the Halo game this unsupported offshoot of Halo 1 is still consuming more than 12,000GB a month in download bandwidth and has nearly 5,000 user contributed assets and maps.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 05:39 PM    Msg. 161 of 293       

Because of the few people who know how to program, even less can reverse engineer the code.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 06:03 PM    Msg. 162 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Skyancez3o4

As I have posted before, as long as this stays a "discussion" with differing opinions backed by reason and not a name calling or flame fest I have no reason to lock this thread.

From my point of view I have found it interesting to see what people think about the subject especially since from day one people thought Halo CE was dead when we never had more that 800 players on line at any one time. And yet after 6 years, a long time for any video game, and four new versions of the Halo game this unsupported offshoot of Halo 1 is still consuming more than 12,000GB a month in download bandwidth and has nearly 5,000 user contributed assets and maps.

Therefor it isn't dieing right?

Because of the few people who know how to program, even less can reverse engineer the code.

Reverse engineering it was simple. De compile EXE, Take binary and convert to visual C++. Open in Visuel C++ editor. That is all I did.

Simple?

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 06:15 PM    Msg. 163 of 293       
The Community is not dying at all; older members are moving on and it takes new members to fill the void. Also take into account that it IS the school year, which is the primary reason why I don't do nearly as much as I have during the Summer. Granted a lot of my stuff is almost complete, polishing and other junk takes time, so releases are never a frequent thing for me. I'm just one example too (I work relatively alone). Other community members are in teams and these teams need to not only cooperate under cooperative terms, but also need to find time to cooperate within their own schedules. It takes coordination to finish work, so releases from teams like H3MT and so on are not frequent either. However, the community is easily still alive. Why else are these forums always filled with such crazy posts?

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 06:24 PM    Msg. 164 of 293       

Reverse engineering it was simple. De compile EXE, Take binary and convert to visual C++. Open in Visuel C++ editor. That is all I did.

Simple?

I find that very difficult to believe. In fact, I'm calling bull crap. If it was that simple they would have done it already.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 06:41 PM    Msg. 165 of 293       
If it's so simple to reverse engineer the game then why haven't the professional codes such as ShadowSpartan done it?

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 06:42 PM    Msg. 166 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
If it's so simple to reverse engineer the game then why haven't the professional codes such as ShadowSpartan done it?

Because it is not that simple, and it's illegal.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:14 PM    Msg. 167 of 293       

Therefor it isn't dieing right?

Well it seems that it is a matter of opinion, what facts you interpret and what you consider being "dead".

For example. There are several facts that most of you don't see, but there they are: Since 2008 when we started tracking it, the average number of files downloaded each month from the Halo CE website is 569,079 and that average is growing each month, meaning more files are being downloaded. As can be seen in the following chart.

As for new content, An average of 62 files per month have been uploaded and approved for release each month. On the Halo CE website we average over 2.6 million page views and over 300,000 unique visitors each month looking at the website content.

The game itself has been downloaded over 698,390 times from this website and is consistently the most downloaded file each month meaning it is download more each month than any other file.

Now by those metrics do you consider the game dead? And what is "dead" mean anyway? does it mean no one is playing it or only a few or does it mean that no one is playing it when you want to play? Is it Dead when no one downloads it or is there a specific number of downloads required to make it dead or alive?

Is the game considered "dead" when you compare it to other games like left 4 dead or Half Life or Crysis file downloads, if so then I guess it was dead on arrival, or is it alive as long as people want to download it and play it?

I am not going to tell you that the game is dead or alive until I know by what metric you want me to issue a death certificate. The website is not by any means dead and the only reason for the website is the Halo CE game so by that metric...

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:16 PM    Msg. 168 of 293       

How should I know?

Quote: --- Original message by: AGLion

Because it is not that simple, and it's illegal.

It is Illegal?

abkarch

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:16 PM    Msg. 169 of 293       

i was obviously talking about modding the engine directly, not creating 3rd party apps.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:17 PM    Msg. 170 of 293       
one day i'm going to make an extremely detailed tutorial on how to make HUDs. It will cover weapon interfaces, unit interfaces, grenade interfaces, and all the guerilla and photoshop stuff.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:22 PM    Msg. 171 of 293       
It is Illegal?

According to the EULA, yes.

Quote: You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Quote: The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

Unless such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding that limitation.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:27 PM    Msg. 172 of 293       
Actually, yes but that's not the issue. The problem is that the knowledge I'd need to communicate is very extensive and I am not sure how I would deliver it in an organized fashion. Basically, there are so many things to cover from Photoshop tools, Guerilla positioning and editing, to gradients, and values (which took forever for me to learn.)

XxCommanderXx30

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:34 PM    Msg. 173 of 293       
lol grunts

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:52 PM    Msg. 174 of 293       

i was obviously talking about modding the engine directly, not creating 3rd party apps.

You do not know what you are talking about, as both have the same exact effects. I could add a program that is integrated into the game .exe or I could modify it externally. The best choice (as seen by almost ALL halo app developers) has been to modify the game externally.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 09:57 PM    Msg. 175 of 293       
You do not know what you are talking about, as both have the same exact effects. I could add a program that is integrated into the game .exe or I could modify it externally. The best choice (as seen by almost ALL halo app developers) has been to modify the game externally.

external programs intercept memory processes and alter them to do what you want them to do. that's how things like timefreeze, alldev and aimbot work. they don't modify the engine.

Page 5 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun November 17, 2019 4:29 PM 406 ms.
A Halo Maps Website