A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!?

Page 7 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!? (293 messages, Page 7 of 9)
Moderators: Dennis

Wrath

well isn't this a surprise

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:47 AM    Msg. 211 of 293       
Someone has to make a new kind of map protector. One that can't be breached in anyway possible.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:52 AM    Msg. 212 of 293       
I second Wrath's statement.

Wrath

well isn't this a surprise

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:37 AM    Msg. 213 of 293       
I'm serious someone has to make a map protector that can't be breached by rippers.
Encourage people to ask you for the tags, and if they don't have a valid reason for you to give them your tags then don't. This will (theoretically) encourage them to create something better than what you currently have. This is how the CE community used to work, now it's just surrounded by rippers and leakers.

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:57 AM    Msg. 214 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: gnademassica117
Disagree with Wrath.

I make all of my maps unprotected, because while there will always be people who rip and don't credit, I know that someone will be able to take the tags I have found and make something else out of it. Sharting makes everything better, in the long run.

I also disagree with wrath. I have always quoted Jahrain in all my readme's as he said it best. This community is shrinking. We have to stick together instead of fighting over who gets credit for what. It's all BS. If people don't credit...who cares! You know you made it, and besides, if you make something that is great enough that people want to use it...take it as a compliment. When you make something truely great you don't waste your time trying to stop people from putting 18 scarabs in bloodgulch with 52 sniper rifles on blue teams base and 1 plasma pistol on red teams base and then releasing it.... Who does it effect? No one! Nobody downloads or plays those retarded mods! So who cares what someone does with your tags while they desperately try to understand the mythical HEK. In the end they will either improve and see the joy there is in creating something unique and original of your own or they will make a couple crappy mods, get bored, and quit CE.

HALOCE IS OPEN SOURCE GUYS! Let's keep this community thriving and friendly...Not competing with each other for credits in a readme....
lame
Edited by DA_Ender on Oct 26, 2010 at 08:58 AM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 09:03 AM    Msg. 215 of 293       
I guess I would have to agree now, lol.

Caboose117

Seriously guys?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 09:18 AM    Msg. 216 of 293       
Well I'm back from a long time back, I never really made anything but I know a bit... *shrug*

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 10:04 AM    Msg. 217 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: DA_Ender
I also disagree with wrath. I have always quoted Jahrain in all my readme's as he said it best. This community is shrinking. We have to stick together instead of fighting over who gets credit for what. It's all BS. If people don't credit...who cares! You know you made it, and besides, if you make something that is great enough that people want to use it...take it as a compliment. When you make something truely great you don't waste your time trying to stop people from putting 18 scarabs in bloodgulch with 52 sniper rifles on blue teams base and 1 plasma pistol on red teams base and then releasing it.... Who does it effect? No one! Nobody downloads or plays those retarded mods! So who cares what someone does with your tags while they desperately try to understand the mythical HEK. In the end they will either improve and see the joy there is in creating something unique and original of your own or they will make a couple crappy mods, get bored, and quit CE.

HALOCE IS OPEN SOURCE GUYS! Let's keep this community thriving and friendly...Not competing with each other for credits in a readme....
lame

I endorse this post, even though I tend to keep my head out of such meaningless and pointless arguments of blatant immaturity.
Edited by sargejohnson on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM

SorrySoldOut

I'm all outta gum...

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 10:51 AM    Msg. 218 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: DA_Ender

lame
Edited by DA_Ender on Oct 26, 2010 at 08:58 AM

I have only been here a short time, but in that short time I have witnessed a lot of what people are complaining about in terms of rippers and people who take other peoples hard work and putting into their own map.

I don't think the major problem here is people not wanting to sharing the hard work they do, the problem lies on the flip side of the coin. To work hundreds of hours on a project for the community one would want some sort of recognition that he or she did a good job. To put all that work into something and release it to a "community where we all need to stick together", one might think that the community would go that extra mile to make sure these people get credit. I don't understand how or why people got into the mindset of not even crediting the hard work people do around here. That just shows no amount of respect.

I have contributed to many other modding community's and they all have a structure where people share work all the time, but they also have the common courtesy of asking said person and crediting them or the team of the hundreds (or thousands) of hours they poured their life into.

This isn't about open source its about respect.

Edited by SorrySoldOut on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:15 AM    Msg. 219 of 293       
There is no possible way I could credit each individual tag used. There's just way to many and thats the bottom line when it comes to giving credit. My tagset sits at around 5 gigs. Not a chance am I gonna research every little bitmap that somebody wants credit for....it's just ridiculous. Everybody likes to have pride in their work and be told that they're awesome or whatever credit it is you're looking for exactly but it's just not a realistic thing to ask when it comes down to someone who is making a real map, that's detailed. Not one of my tags that I decompiled from a map was used in any of my maps without major modification first (including tags, bitmaps, shaders ect.) Retracing my steps back and trying to A. find the source files, B. research and conclusively find the correct author to the tags, would take me personally likely weeks purhaps longer, if that's all I did.

Frankly,
screw that.
The creators know whats theirs. I know that the scarab is mine and my old teams. I don't expect credit because it's common knowledge where it came from even though somebody might extract it from some random dude's crappy bloodgulch mod. Therefore assuming that the map that you rip the tags from may not be the author of said tags. If these tags haven't been released as a set, or credited in the readme of the map you ripped them from, how the $%#& are you supposed to know where/who it orginally came from?!?! My brain hurts now.

Yeah I gave up on credits long ago as has basically everyone in Halo CE. This doesn't make me disrespectful.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 12:37 PM    Msg. 220 of 293       
Thing is, doesn't Bungie have ALL rights to anything made for and put into CE?

After they made the game they made the ability to make tags.

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 12:41 PM    Msg. 221 of 293       
Yeah, once it goes through tool it legally belongs to microsoft and bungie.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 01:42 PM    Msg. 222 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: d4rfnader
Yeah, once it goes through tool it legally belongs to microsoft and bungie.

See? So why protect? No matter how much you try to encrypt it all encryption's will be broken like it or not.

d4rfnader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 02:18 PM    Msg. 223 of 293       
Most people protect their maps to cause newer people to learn things for themselves which is what can help the community stay alive.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 02:20 PM    Msg. 224 of 293       
Most people protect their maps to cause newer people to learn things for themselves which is what can help the community stay alive.

True...

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 02:26 PM    Msg. 225 of 293       

No, because people will always want to create their own ideas even if they are capable of ripping or not. Protecting does not keep the community any more alive than having tags open sourced.

Caboose117

Seriously guys?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 02:27 PM    Msg. 226 of 293       

While it does cause them to learn things for themselves, a lot can be learned from looking at the tags contained in the map. In the same token, a lot can be learned from looking at the stock tags, and even blank tags, if you have the patience to look and decipher what is going on, and go through a trial and error period.

There really is no right or wrong answer to the protection issue. If the map's makers wish to protect the files they took the time to make, I say that's their right (while it's technically owned by Bungie and Microsoft, yes.) If they feel they would like to keep it open to the public, then the public should not just use them, but use them to learn.

Sadly, the latter half doesn't occur much, and many are content with taking the tags and reusing them. I know I was, but I only played with one or two people, and didn't put any of it out there, since there was no purpose.

Edited because I didn't like my formatting.
Edited by Caboose117 on Oct 26, 2010 at 02:28 PM

d4rfnader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 03:18 PM    Msg. 227 of 293       
I really don't agree with protecting maps, i tend to just see at as being selfish lol.
Edited by d4rfnader on Oct 26, 2010 at 03:19 PM

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:16 PM    Msg. 228 of 293       
The issue with protection nowadays, is that newer members don't see the benefits of protection; they see: PROTECTION = I CAN NOT HAZ = I MUST FIND A WAY TO BREAK THE PROTECTION INSTEAD OF THINKING ABOUT WHY IT WUZ PROTECTED. Caboose's post echoes the sentiment from two years ago, when if someone wanted to protect, it was their right. Not everyone is entitled to everything that's made. If someone wants to protect, that's their decision.

Today however, the community's filled with far more new members who see protection as an evil, and will actively voice their opinion. Since the amount who want open source outnumber those who don't care for open sourcing, of course they will inflame hatred towards those who wish to protect. If someone doesn't want something to be publicly available, of course people will see it as "selfish". How many want to work if they know that their efforts would be publicly distributed to others who did no work? Look at how well communism went in Russia, and how true communism isn't as abundant as it was before. Look at how Lenin's ideas had to be changed by Stalin in order to ensure the rise of the Soviet Union. Everyone works for their own benefit, not for the benefit of others. If someone doesn't want to share, that should be their right.

Finding ways around protection may get you the tag, but how many people actually bypass protection for the purpose of knowledge? It's always for some cool tag that they want to use. Whenever people openly release tags nowadays, so many people are unable to implement such tags, instead requiring that the tag be placed in a map that's able to be ripped. This reveals the lack of fundamentals in today's community, with so many unable to implement it. If I were to release a .gbxmodel, a few .bitmaps, and a .model_animations right now, how many could put it together into a tag? Look at Hunter's releases, and Pakar's posts on those topics. He always posts to say, "k. now texture it, animate it, and release in tag form". If the people who release always have to do everything, newer members won't LEARN anything, and thus, wouldn't be able to function without new releases and full releases.

Hs_crozzhair

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:17 PM    Msg. 229 of 293       

No it doesnt really cause the community to stay alive, it might even cause the sommunity to die more becuase knowledge that is there is kept secret becuase someone is new and have less experience. I have seen older members be jerks when people ask them how to do something.

Advancebo

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:20 PM    Msg. 230 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Hs_crozzhair

No it doesnt really cause the community to stay alive, it might even cause the sommunity to die more becuase knowledge that is there is kept secret becuase someone is new and have less experience. I have seen older members be jerks when people ask them how to do something.

Have you thought about how the "older" members learned the knowledge? There are reasons why tutorials are there. And even that, you can easily experiment with the HEK yourself.

Gamma927

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:24 PM    Msg. 231 of 293       
How did the older members learn? Sure, they may be jerks for hiding it from you, I won't disagree with this. However, they must have learned somehow. People nowadays don't SEARCH for the answer themselves, instead relying on others to feed them everything on a silver platter. This is highly evident in the tech support section. There simply isn't enough people to answer every question in the tech support, and when someone doesn't respond for a day or two, sometimes the original poster will go on a ranting spree, and then ragequit. If it's something that's hidden by protection, then it's just a tagging issue.

Edit: Bo beat me.

Quote: --- Original message by: ASP_GRUNTS
@Gamma

Protection has its benefits, but it's not fair to say that everyone who wants to rip it don't know how to make it themselves or implement the tags correctly. A murderer misuses a gun, but that doesn't mean we should reserve guns strictly for law enforcement only. Not everyone's a murderer.

Most speaking out against protection claim it's because of "selfishness". In either case, my post addresses the effects if everything was protected, and it also addresses those who use new methods to break protection. The temptation of easily available protection-breaking stuff will appeal to a lot of new members. Just because not everyone does doesn't mean a lot of people don't.
Edited by Gamma927 on Oct 26, 2010 at 05:28 PM

Gamma927

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:35 PM    Msg. 232 of 293       

@top part of your post

Then to hell with them. Stop trying to teach someone who can't figure out how to change 1 value or press a button. It isn't our job to train little kids to be independent learners. I came here when i was like 10 or 11, and I was no where near this dependent on someone holding my hand through the entire process.
If that's the crowd this community attracts for whatever reason, then why is it worth trying to keep it alive?

Exactly my point. The problem is, by having everything open sourced, you FEED this dependence, rather than forcing them to learn. If there's no reason to learn, why bother?
Edit: To hell with your beige.
Double edit: I never claimed that this is why people protect; selfishness may be true. However, I'm reflecting the positive benefits of such selfishness. You can claim that selfishness is a bad virtue, and all the people who protect should go die (basically the argument that the anti-protectors use). However, I'm relating to protection as a WHOLE.
Edited by Gamma927 on Oct 26, 2010 at 05:37 PM

d4rfnader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:38 PM    Msg. 233 of 293       
Lol, i actually never looked at it that way =P

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:43 PM    Msg. 234 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
The issue with protection nowadays, is that newer members don't see the benefits of protection; they see: PROTECTION = I CAN NOT HAZ = I MUST FIND A WAY TO BREAK THE PROTECTION INSTEAD OF THINKING ABOUT WHY IT WUZ PROTECTED. Caboose's post echoes the sentiment from two years ago, when if someone wanted to protect, it was their right. Not everyone is entitled to everything that's made. If someone wants to protect, that's their decision.

Today however, the community's filled with far more new members who see protection as an evil, and will actively voice their opinion. Since the amount who want open source outnumber those who don't care for open sourcing, of course they will inflame hatred towards those who wish to protect. If someone doesn't want something to be publicly available, of course people will see it as "selfish". How many want to work if they know that their efforts would be publicly distributed to others who did no work? Look at how well communism went in Russia, and how true communism isn't as abundant as it was before. Look at how Lenin's ideas had to be changed by Stalin in order to ensure the rise of the Soviet Union. Everyone works for their own benefit, not for the benefit of others. If someone doesn't want to share, that should be their right.

Finding ways around protection may get you the tag, but how many people actually bypass protection for the purpose of knowledge? It's always for some cool tag that they want to use. Whenever people openly release tags nowadays, so many people are unable to implement such tags, instead requiring that the tag be placed in a map that's able to be ripped. This reveals the lack of fundamentals in today's community, with so many unable to implement it. If I were to release a .gbxmodel, a few .bitmaps, and a .model_animations right now, how many could put it together into a tag? Look at Hunter's releases, and Pakar's posts on those topics. He always posts to say, "k. now texture it, animate it, and release in tag form". If the people who release always have to do everything, newer members won't LEARN anything, and thus, wouldn't be able to function without new releases and full releases.

+1 from me and maybe dratt..

as gamma said they dont know how to tag. gamma used to be a ripper to so did I but not like the rippers you see this year there lazy they use _____ enter app name there and its just easy... see i stopped once i could tag it perfectly so ya.

Gamma wins nuf said

doompig444

Morni alanti

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:52 PM    Msg. 235 of 293       
Interesting new point: If we hand a ripper sick tags to work with, will they eventually move past Bloodgulch mods and actually make something cool with it? Then from there, make there own cool tags?

This has yet to be tested.

doompig444

Morni alanti

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 05:56 PM    Msg. 236 of 293       
Interesting new point: If the Bloodgulch mod makers eventually went and decided to create their own content, then made some amazing tags, would this attract more members than those who left?

Gamma927

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 06:33 PM    Msg. 237 of 293       

He's no where near winning, lol.

Protecting isn't going force the majority to do anything. The ones that don't know how to be independent learners, which, according to him, is more than those who ARE independent, are just going to ragequit.

It works with pencil and paper, but not in reality. It's like teasing a 5 year old with a cookie, but telling him he has to run 5 miles to eat it. It's not going to work.
Edited by ASP_GRUNTS on Oct 26, 2010 at 05:47 PM

Winning? Who wants to win? What are the odds that I'm going to be able to convince every person against protection that protection is good? Even I wouldn't be stupid enough to try that. I'm merely expressing my opinion, something that people do on a web forum.

Quote: --- Original message by: gnademassica117

If I were to release a .gbxmodel, a few .bitmaps, and a .model_animations right now, how many could put it together into a tag?
I could, give me a hour or two, and I joined 2010.
Edited by gnademassica117 on Oct 26, 2010 at 06:20 PM

Grats. However, I'm asking how MANY. I don't see you as a representative for all members of 2010, so this still isn't an exact estimate. I don't hold a grudge against all members of 2010; in fact, there's three or four that I respect here, and view as talented. However, that's still a vast minority compared to the rest of the community, including members from before 2010.

Edit: GRUNTS is a beige noob :|
Edited by Gamma927 on Oct 26, 2010 at 06:33 PM

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 06:38 PM    Msg. 238 of 293       
Interesting old point: Map unprotectors exist, so unless someone makes an application that protects the maps with a different method it doesn't matter, those for protection won't release anything at all.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 06:51 PM    Msg. 239 of 293       
Or ask people what 'so-and-so' means.

Of course, this requires some extreme discipline and a community willing to help.

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:10 PM    Msg. 240 of 293       
i think its up to the owner, if the owner wants to not share than thats their own decision, and people need to stop flaming people for doing what they want.

Edited by StatutoryTrOy on Oct 26, 2010 at 07:12 PM

Caboose117

Seriously guys?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:17 PM    Msg. 241 of 293       
Caboose's post echoes the sentiment from two years ago, when if someone wanted to protect, it was their right. Not everyone is entitled to everything that's made. If someone wants to protect, that's their decision.

Funny you say 2 years, because that's the last time I was around here. Now that I've come back, I'm starting to see what you said about the newer generation of users. Especially what you said about about them not knowing what to do with tags. I've seen in the past 24 hours more posts with people having "broken" tags that they downloaded, but "fixed it by ripping, than are even necessary. Meanwhile the actual fix is to just figure out in Guerilla where the tags are pointed towards, and move them to the correct folder or just rearrange them...

The best way to get better at mapping is to just mess around... Learning from trial and errror is how I went and did it, and it's how I'm now re-learning... Although I don't have my Halo CD with me at college, so I can't fully test what I do... D:

Gamma927

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:22 PM    Msg. 242 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Caboose117
Caboose's post echoes the sentiment from two years ago, when if someone wanted to protect, it was their right. Not everyone is entitled to everything that's made. If someone wants to protect, that's their decision.

Funny you say 2 years, because that's the last time I was around here. Now that I've come back, I'm starting to see what you said about the newer generation of users. Especially what you said about about them not knowing what to do with tags. I've seen in the past 24 hours more posts with people having "broken" tags that they downloaded, but "fixed it by ripping, than are even necessary. Meanwhile the actual fix is to just figure out in Guerilla where the tags are pointed towards, and move them to the correct folder or just rearrange them...

The best way to get better at mapping is to just mess around... Learning from trial and errror is how I went and did it, and it's how I'm now re-learning... Although I don't have my Halo CD with me at college, so I can't fully test what I do... D:

lol, about a year ago, I checked back to see whether 07 and 08 were the golden days, and your name came up a lot. I always assumed that you were part of a better time, a symbol of how much fun CE could be.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:25 PM    Msg. 243 of 293       
I'm seriously having trouble buying that there were 'golden days' on this forum.

CorruptedHalo

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:27 PM    Msg. 244 of 293       
Technically, calling someone "selfish" for protecting and then turning around and unprotecting it is hypocritical.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:37 PM    Msg. 245 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Caboose117

That is how I learn a lot of stuffiths.

Quote: --- Original message by: l283023
I think you have to have your mind set into mapping, to be able to accomplish anything. When I first joined I was between 12-13 years old. I didn't really understand the Official HEK tutorial, I understood that I wasn't ready for this, so I decided to wait until I was in 9th grade to try to understand the terms it used. If you aren't able to comprehend what you want to do and how you want to do it, you should wait until you're ready to learn.

Isn't that what this place is for? Learning?

Also I started when I was like 11 or 12. Understood most of it.

Quote: --- Original message by: AGLion
I'm seriously having trouble buying that there were 'golden days' on this forum.

Why?

-Skidrow

Page 7 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 18, 2019 6:39 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website