A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!?

Page 8 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · [8] · 9 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!? (293 messages, Page 8 of 9)
Moderators: Dennis

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:46 PM    Msg. 246 of 293       
You ask because you want to understand. That's the main reason I ask things.

It's like asking your math teacher because you don't understand the concept of something. You ask her to elaborate because you don't understand, and she helps you to understand. That's one of the main points of this forum; any forum infact.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:48 PM    Msg. 247 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: AGLion
You ask because you want to understand. That's the main reason I ask things.

It's like asking your math teacher because you don't understand the concept of something. You ask her to elaborate because you don't understand, and she helps you to understand. That's one of the main points of this forum; any forum infact.

I AGree.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:49 PM    Msg. 248 of 293       
Asking isn't an issue. However, not everyone can answer everything, which makes constant questioning a problem. Before, I tried to answer everything in the tech discussion. Now, it takes up too much of the small amount of time I have, so I limit myself to the important topics, the ones that ask about things other than fundamentals.

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:51 PM    Msg. 249 of 293       
Yeah, most of the simple questions can be answered in tutorials, and by the way gamma, nice quote lol.
Edited by d4rfnader on Oct 26, 2010 at 07:51 PM

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:56 PM    Msg. 250 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: l283023
You either get it, or you don't. You are already given instructions with the Official HEK tutorial. If you don't understand it, try and figure out what they are saying. Must you need someone to rephrase it?

I find that to be complete and utterly close-minded thinking there (no offense). Some people need people to dumb it down for them, simply because they don't understand. It's no reason to scold them or get mad at them, that's when you try and help them.

The HEK tutorial does not cover everything. It doesn't cover any scripting, any SP level, any tag creation, any weapon/vehicle making, any physics creating, etc. That's why there are forums like these, so people can share their findings.

d4rfnader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 07:59 PM    Msg. 251 of 293       
The official hek tutorial doesn't cover advanced things, but i've noticed it covers a lot of the basics.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:01 PM    Msg. 252 of 293       
blahblahblah
Of course, kids must ask their questions.

So do adults, the elderly, I even bet dogs have some way of asking questions. Hell, people GET PAID to ask questions (reporters, scientists).

Asking questions is a way of life, and asking questions here, simple or complex, is no exception.

edit:

Why not save yourself the torture and consult somebody who knows what they are doing? I find nothing wrong with asking questions, nor badgering with people with questions (not like i badger people with questions >_>)
Edited by AGLion on Oct 26, 2010 at 08:02 PM

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:04 PM    Msg. 253 of 293       
Would the more experienced people in this forum deign to help those who are less capable than they are?
I think that's the issue.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:08 PM    Msg. 254 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Caboose117
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
Caboose's post echoes the sentiment from two years ago, when if someone wanted to protect, it was their right. Not everyone is entitled to everything that's made. If someone wants to protect, that's their decision.

Funny you say 2 years, because that's the last time I was around here. Now that I've come back, I'm starting to see what you said about the newer generation of users. Especially what you said about about them not knowing what to do with tags. I've seen in the past 24 hours more posts with people having "broken" tags that they downloaded, but "fixed it by ripping, than are even necessary. Meanwhile the actual fix is to just figure out in Guerilla where the tags are pointed towards, and move them to the correct folder or just rearrange them...

The best way to get better at mapping is to just mess around... Learning from trial and errror is how I went and did it, and it's how I'm now re-learning... Although I don't have my Halo CD with me at college, so I can't fully test what I do... D:

Nice to see you back! I still want my grenade tagged. Too bad there's only a handful of people still active who was around then.

Someone mentioned they are having trouble believing there were golden days on this forum. As far as I know there hasn't been enough evidence to state that. Things haven't really changed much from what it used to be. Just newer people still learning the same things.

d4rfnader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:14 PM    Msg. 255 of 293       
Questions are part of being human.

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:14 PM    Msg. 256 of 293       
The same reason why we rose out of the mud and made Halo. Because we asked questions.

Advancebo

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:15 PM    Msg. 257 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Caboose117
Caboose's post echoes the sentiment from two years ago, when if someone wanted to protect, it was their right. Not everyone is entitled to everything that's made. If someone wants to protect, that's their decision.

Funny you say 2 years, because that's the last time I was around here. Now that I've come back, I'm starting to see what you said about the newer generation of users. Especially what you said about about them not knowing what to do with tags. I've seen in the past 24 hours more posts with people having "broken" tags that they downloaded, but "fixed it by ripping, than are even necessary. Meanwhile the actual fix is to just figure out in Guerilla where the tags are pointed towards, and move them to the correct folder or just rearrange them...

The best way to get better at mapping is to just mess around... Learning from trial and errror is how I went and did it, and it's how I'm now re-learning... Although I don't have my Halo CD with me at college, so I can't fully test what I do... D:

lol, about a year ago, I checked back to see whether 07 and 08 were the golden days, and your name came up a lot. I always assumed that you were part of a better time, a symbol of how much fun CE could be.

Hes #7.

d4rfnader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:24 PM    Msg. 258 of 293       
Also, people are bound to ask questions when they first join, when i first joined i asked tons of scripting questions, now, i ask hardly any at all, if any questions.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:35 PM    Msg. 259 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: d4rfnader
Questions are part of being human.

As well as generating more knowledge.

However we should not abuse the fact that we ask many questions. We ask questions so that when people ask us that question we can tell them as well as to further our knowledge.

In short questioning things is simply human. DEAL WITH IT!

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:41 PM    Msg. 260 of 293       
If I wanted to learn philosophy, I'd have gone to their classes. Please, can we just stick to the real reasons why people believe that they shouldn't ask questions?

Caboose117

Seriously guys?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:48 PM    Msg. 261 of 293       
It seems that way, although I can't tell if it's just that I'm older now, or because I've been over at the facepunch forums since then (oddly enough, these forums introduced me to there, and they reminded me of here recently.) It seems like the general user base is younger and less mature, however I saw some of my past posts and thought the same.

It was a different time, a lot of content was being produced in comparison, and a lot of more original ideas, not Halo 3/ODST/Reach based ideas... I haven't decided on if the differences are bad yet though. Nonetheless, I'm here to help anyone willing to learn,in whatever way I can.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:49 PM    Msg. 262 of 293       
Questioning isn't bad by itself. It's bad when people immediately log onto the forums and ask a question that has been answered a billion times before just because their sapien won't open.
You wanna know how I learned to fix missing tags?
I opened sapien, added a tag. If it didn't work, I'd print screen the white text that said where the tags were missing. Then I'd track down where the tags were, then move them to the correct directory. One by one. I didn't learn about debug.txt until a few months into modding CE.

This is what's wrong with some (read: most) of the newer members. They don't bother to try things themselves, they just figure that someone else will know and will guide themselves through it. Now, I'm not saying you should stay up for 48 hours straight trying to figure out how to fix a buffered triangle error just because you are afraid to ask how, but try yourself first, and if that fails, think about what's not working, and try to figure out how to fix that. If you really can't get it, try asking friends on xfire/aim/whatever IM program you use. (for example, if I'm having problems with animating vehicles, I go to Advancebo because I know he knows about that stuff :p). If all else fails, go to the forums. Try searching (It's at the top center near the logout button). Don't try to search for the entire error message, you'll probably get 0 results. Try keywords that appear in the error message. If you can't find anything, post on the forums. Nobody will blame you if you've tried all that and you STILL can't find an answer.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:50 PM    Msg. 263 of 293       

Why can't we learn by example? Animals do it. We are animals. What makes us so special? Our inferior minds
Edited by l283023 on Oct 26, 2010 at 08:38 PM

Humans aren't necessarily animals. Humans have a conscience. Animals are far as can be told, don't. In a way yes we are animals. But yet we are above animals. Can any animal talk intelligently? No. Not to humans.

Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine
If I wanted to learn philosophy, I'd have gone to their classes. Please, can we just stick to the real reasons why people believe that they shouldn't ask questions?

This is classified as philosophy? Well I guess a little bit of histiry as well eh?

Questions are a necessity for human survival.

No but they are very useful.

-Skidrow

EDIT: L28 you little....
Edited by Skidrow925 on Oct 26, 2010 at 08:57 PM

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:58 PM    Msg. 264 of 293       

I'm not against questioning. I just find it unnecessary most of the time. Most things can be figured out on your own. If at first you don't succeed, try again, rather than if at first you don't succeed, ask someone for help.

E:

Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Humans aren't necessarily animals. Humans have a conscience. Animals are far as can be told, don't. In a way yes we are animals. But yet we are above animals. Can any animal talk intelligently? No. Not to humans.
-Skidrow

Animals don't have a conscience? Animals don't know wrong from right? Animals don't have reason? Animals only have instinct?

Edited by l283023 on Oct 26, 2010 at 08:57 PM

As far as we can tell no they don't. Were we able to communicate well maybe we would know.

Like I said. As far as we can tell.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 08:59 PM    Msg. 265 of 293       

The only thing that makes us different from animals is the fact that we have opposable thumbs and are "more intelligent". I put that in quotes because some of the people I talk to would make me think otherwise. But for the most part we have a greater intelligence capacity, however other than that, nothing about us is any different than animals.
Edited by UnevenElefant5 on Oct 26, 2010 at 09:01 PM

Caboose117

Seriously guys?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 09:04 PM    Msg. 266 of 293       
I'm seriously having trouble buying that there were 'golden days' on this forum.

There was. Although I honestly think that was before me too. I came around at the end of that period, everyone was starting to turn towards the easier ways, and we lost a lot of what were then considered the older members, the people who knew a lot of the intricate details of the tools and tags.

Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine
Would the more experienced people in this forum deign to help those who are less capable than they are?
I think that's the issue.

Well I am. If you're willing to learn how to do it for yourself, I'll do my best to show you. I never produced anything noteworthy, but I know a bit. (Just don't ask me about scripting, that was never ever my strong area...)

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo

Nice to see you back! I still want my grenade tagged. Too bad there's only a handful of people still active who was around then.

Someone mentioned they are having trouble believing there were golden days on this forum. As far as I know there hasn't been enough evidence to state that. Things haven't really changed much from what it used to be. Just newer people still learning the same things.

Nice to see you also. I actually think I still have that grenade also, along with a heavy pelican model that someone (old sigma team I think..) was making me UVW... Maybe I'll finish that...

And yea, you're one of very few names I've seen that I've recognized, it's sad... D=

Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo

Hes #7.

I'm assuming by this you mean in post count. Last I was here, I was first or second, and you had just joined(or made that account). Doesn't mean I was any good, I'm actually surprised that some people might have known my name.

So short version. I've got some spare time now that I'm away at college, I've got an itch to play and mod HCE, and I guess while I'm still around I'll do what was done for me, and pass along what I know, if you're willing to work a little, and not come for every minor question.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 09:48 PM    Msg. 267 of 293       
We are smarter than animals, but we are animals?
Animals can't feel emotions? Have you not ever seen a sad abandoned dog? Animals can't feel love for their children? They would protect them with their life, but that isn't love. That's just instinct.

Instinct...

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 10:41 PM    Msg. 268 of 293       
How about we NOT talk about animal instinct and dogs crapping on carpets.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:11 PM    Msg. 269 of 293       
Let's ignore that for now.

Now, can somebody make me an in depth tutorial/reference/guide on scripting in halo?

lol imma hypocrite

d4rfnader

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:15 PM    Msg. 270 of 293       
I think dwood recently made a scripting tutorial, i'm not sure how in-depth it goes.

Caboose117

Seriously guys?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:21 PM    Msg. 271 of 293       
I may have one from an old friend of mine, don't know if he still visits here on a different username.... I'll have to dig through my old files, and even then I don't know how in depth it goes, or if it's even easy to follow...

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:23 PM    Msg. 272 of 293       
I have dwood's, and it's pretty damn nice.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:26 PM    Msg. 273 of 293       
Stay on topic

Edited by Dennis on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 11:56 PM    Msg. 274 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

Stay on topic

Edited by Dennis on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM

or else i get a cookie :D?

no /offtopic

anyways i say its not just some are in the hibernatin stage

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 27, 2010 01:05 AM    Msg. 275 of 293       
I have dwood's, and it's pretty nice.

Scripting isn't something someone just "teaches" you to do. You won't understand or even get a feel for it until you write scripts of your own.

Wrath

well isn't this a surprise

Posted: Oct 27, 2010 07:53 AM    Msg. 276 of 293       
Well then I guess I still have to learn more about the CE community.
And though I have stated my opinion or suggestion I am still a new comer that still needs to learn how to create his own content. If I have ever offended anyone in my last post , I am sorry.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Oct 27, 2010 09:50 AM    Msg. 277 of 293       
Mapping in Halo CE isn't too user friendly sadly. It's hard finding your way around without someone to answer your spam of questions. The best tip I give is to follow Halo Guru's making a map tutorial start to finish, not trying to add anything extra or special. Just to get that one first map in game. After which you can start to experiment... but that's the key. There are lots of things you can do in max that the game won't handle and you need to know these boundaries. Following the official HEK tutorial is also most useful... since it was made by the guys that made Halo Custom. While the map it lets you make is simple, it still teaches you alot about the inner mechanics of Halo and HEK.

Koo294

How is she when she doesn't surf?

Posted: Oct 27, 2010 10:53 AM    Msg. 278 of 293       
Can any animal talk intelligently? No. Not to humans.
-Skidrow

Chimps can use sign language, if taught.
Also what elephant said. Humans are animals, not much genetic difference at all from dogs.

E: owait, offtopic. Meh, i'm not lost. Just distracted.
Edited by Koo294 on Oct 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 27, 2010 11:18 AM    Msg. 279 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Koo294
Humans are animals, not much genetic difference at all from dogs.

I disagree.
Edited by MoooseGuy on Oct 27, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 27, 2010 11:19 AM    Msg. 280 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: assassinchief106
Let's make a thread about animals.

I agree.

Page 8 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · [8] · 9 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 11, 2019 6:48 PM 437 ms.
A Halo Maps Website