A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!?

Page 2 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Lossing more and more editors dont you agree?!?!? (293 messages, Page 2 of 9)
Moderators: Dennis

Co1t3r

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 06:24 PM    Msg. 36 of 293       
You missed my point. If they enjoy ripping, then that's what they should do. This game is old, and naturally there will be fewer people coming in who are serious about learning proper game development.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 07:08 PM    Msg. 37 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Co1t3r
You missed my point. If they enjoy ripping, then that's what they should do. This game is old, and naturally there will be fewer people coming in who are serious about learning proper game development.

Which is why Halo CE is dying.

cytronix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjt1iuwPCBg&NR=1

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 07:12 PM    Msg. 38 of 293       
i havnt been registered on this forum for long so i guess i must be 1 of the (new 1s).everything i learned from either the tutorials or other members will be passed on to any newer members that join.im gonna be around these forums untill dennis closes the site down so if ppl are gonna leave then so be it.goodluck with whatever you do with yourselves guys.

pwner5889

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 07:26 PM    Msg. 39 of 293       
Me and my friend have put together at least 10 different maps. The thing is.... neither of us know how to model. Until we can get someone to model those maps for us. We can't really do anything with them.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 07:40 PM    Msg. 40 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: pwner5889
Me and my friend have put together at least 10 different maps. The thing is.... neither of us know how to model. Until we can get someone to model those maps for us. We can't really do anything with them.

Learn for yourselves how to model?

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 07:44 PM    Msg. 41 of 293       

That's the PROBLEM. If they concentrate on ripping, they won't learn the new skills necessary to MAKE their own stuff. Once the older members leave, there's nothing left for them to rip. What's next? Then they themselves are going to leave.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 07:45 PM    Msg. 42 of 293       
Then I return to making actual content in Halo

Marka Haiyana

w0rt

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 08:21 PM    Msg. 43 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Quote: --- Original message by: PVT Jenkins
The years are passing by more and more editors are dissapearing model makers, sound makers, animation makers etc. Were getting alotta new people which is good but were losing them as well.

Not aiming to start another argument here, but, the new people that join almost all rip... so there isn't MUCH of a gain.

actually you know what would probably help keep it alive?

original content.

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 08:22 PM    Msg. 44 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
Halo CUSTOM Edition. Thats why it's dying. people only copy halo 2, 3 or reach stuff without news ideas, we have overskilled modelers in the community who only copies already made things.

I have some concepts sleeping on paper, but considering i hate modeling, they arent modeled,(so i'll post the actual wip i have on the weapon thread), i can texture quite well and make decent shaders for actual tastes, all we need is an organised team who could give it a new life, like making a whole CUSTOM new HEK. Or someones edits enough halo custom edition to create a new graphic engine, at least. And inculde bump maps in gbxmodels

considering all you do is shader and rip work, you're one to talk. imo

Or how about a whole new game for the pc :o

E/ Before I EVER leave, I am going to try and make a huge @ss tutorial for hmaps, including everything i know about CE etc. I promise this, from modeling, texturing, bsp etc.
Edited by Newbkilla on Sep 24, 2010 at 08:24 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 10:45 PM    Msg. 45 of 293       
when the planets align halo will die!!

Just kidding, this game is "dying" and always has been. Back in my day, it was more active due to more people here, more motivation, and more inspiration. Inspiration/motivation are 2 key things in a community of modders, and since we are losing both of those due to new influx of people not willing to learn = faster fall of modding part of community.

The actual game however is still pretty strong, its just the CE map mapmakers always throwing fits about this.

In all honesty; I don't give a crap, once they've been here a year they'll figure it out and learn to make that motivation and the inspiration.
Edited by Higuy on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Talcyon

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 10:46 PM    Msg. 46 of 293       
I would just like to point out that while Halo CE is dramatically less popular than it used to be, that does not necessarily mean that it will die. Those who are dedicated will remain. Consider Pac-Man. It's one of the oldest games made, but odds are anyone you ask will know what the game is and tell you they have played it. Anyway, my point is that as old as CE gets, is it ever really going to die? I suppose I can't be certain, but I AM CERTAIN that there are those who are dedicated, and they will continue to play the game. And to all those that continue to make maps, I appreciate all the work you guys do to help keep this wonderful game more populated.
Edited by Talcyon on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Spartan_094

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 11:27 PM    Msg. 47 of 293       
It isn't rocket science to search up stuff in the tutorial section or w/e where the biped tags are and such. That's what I had to do to learn a few things, mostly Rigging and uvw unwrapping.

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 12:14 AM    Msg. 48 of 293       
oooh! spartan 094 you just got served!

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 02:32 AM    Msg. 49 of 293       
I'll always be here. I have the knowledge. I just havent done anything with it.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 03:08 AM    Msg. 50 of 293       
In 2 years, people will be trying to rip h2spt stuff and fail because it won't work on anything less than 1.09.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 08:45 AM    Msg. 51 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927

That's the PROBLEM. If they concentrate on ripping, they won't learn the new skills necessary to MAKE their own stuff. Once the older members leave, there's nothing left for them to rip. What's next? Then they themselves are going to leave.

Exact point I make and why I hate ripping... how come arguments dont start when you say it :(

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 10:15 AM    Msg. 52 of 293       
I think it's because Halo 1 is an old game, and people are bored of it.
There are newer games which can provide better tools and sandboxes than Halo 1.

Is there anything new going for Halo 1, anything breathtaking? nope.
Source code release is all that's left.

But what about those who never left?
Edited by Shock120 on Sep 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 10:52 AM    Msg. 53 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: assassinchief106
They'll fly away sooner or later. Probably start modding that horrible game: CSS. I just wish if someone is willing to convert ODST's campaign to CE, it's a short DLC.
I just wish a Halo game that is better than Halo 1, and allows mods would be released.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 11:16 AM    Msg. 54 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: assassinchief106
CSS is horrible IMO. lol Also, making an ODST campaign is infact possible, does anyone wanna do it and waste 2 years? No.
ripping content from newer games, and injecting into ol'Halo 1 is dumb.

It isn't really bringing anything new.

This game is very old, the only thing it needs is source code for community development.
Edited by Shock120 on Sep 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 11:36 AM    Msg. 55 of 293       
The older members leave for just a bit. Don't worry this is like a yearly thing. the oldies leave to mess with there life and come back once its better.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 04:46 PM    Msg. 56 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: ASP_GRUNTS
Quote: --- Original message by: PVT Jenkins
New people you guys must keep CE alive

They won't. If they do, they'll pretty much have to start CE all over because the advanced knowledge isn't documented into tutorials or anything. They depend on the old people still to make the maps, as of right now. Once we leave, they'll just keep reusing stuff we made and find a few more rips.

time to crack out the huge ass tutorial book lets get filming we got advanced knowledge up our sleaves (releases grunts active camo script................. lol jk)

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 06:50 PM    Msg. 57 of 293       
Halo is dying? in 2007, people claimed Halo was dying. We've been a long way past this time and still Halo lives. Of course there's a challenge in getting new comers to actually create stuff rather than ripping and modding but the same is true for long timers. As people have noted above, too much effort is put in making and remaking stuff from halo 2 3 ODST and Reach. Not that it's bad but how many Battle Rifles have been made? How come nobody makes new vehicles, bipeds from scratch? Even weapons, fitting the Halo Universe from scratch.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 06:52 PM    Msg. 58 of 293       
I don't think we ever claimed it was dying in '07, it was very much alive. People just said that with Halo 2 [Vista] on the horizon, but that turned into a total flop so CE lived on.

Now in 2010, I feel unmotivated to do anything, and it seems no one else does either. Nothing promising is being shown, the community just doesn't feel like it's together. If anything, the forums are mainly for social talking now because barely anyone mods well with anything new.

It's all rips, Reach, etc.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 07:35 PM    Msg. 59 of 293       
I understand. I am sure however if people started doing things for the fun, we could get back to what we were.

I too find it hard to get motivated these days however about 3 days ago I had an idea and I thought it would be fun to explore making an invasion transport.

The end result( well it's not finished..) was this ship. it's Scenery and split in 3 parts ( due to the poly count, mostly including the interior). Part A is the Hull and the basic corridors shape, Part B is the details ( Beds, crates, computers ETC). Part C is much smaller tho, as it's only the banking to prevent HEV pods from going down when in use. Since they all use the same coordinates, it's very easy to place on anymap:

This ain't to brag or anything related,just to say that having objectives, purposes and dreams and such is a good helper when needing motivation

Hs_crozzhair

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 07:48 PM    Msg. 60 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: doompig444
The question is, if we armed the new generation with the information they need to develop CE content, would they actually take the time to learn it?

If i had the tools to make maps, i would learn And new people rip things to experiment with what types of things work and dont, becuase if you spend a week making a custom sniper where it looks good but doesnt work, it was pointless.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 09:05 PM    Msg. 61 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: Hs_crozzhair
Quote: --- Original message by: doompig444
The question is, if we armed the new generation with the information they need to develop CE content, would they actually take the time to learn it?

If i had the tools to make maps, i would learn And new people rip things to experiment with what types of things work and dont, becuase if you spend a week making a custom sniper where it looks good but doesnt work, it was pointless.

Sorry but you cannot make such statement when you A have been here only for so short and B aren't in position to know. They do it because it's easier and brings more fame than making things with their skill level. That's personally what I noticed.

Hs_crozzhair

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 09:26 PM    Msg. 62 of 293       
Which statement? About me learning or about new people ripping things? Becuase i jumped to conclusion with the ripping.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Oct 2, 2010 10:26 PM    Msg. 63 of 293       
The modding community is dying, or I'm just not paying enough attention...

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Oct 3, 2010 01:38 AM    Msg. 64 of 293       
The flames across the forest heard adorn,
Ignite the wizened oak, the patch forlorn.
As saplings sparse regrow above the raze,
So talent new emerges from the blaze.
Edited by doompig444 on Oct 3, 2010 at 02:13 AM

Wrath

well isn't this a surprise

Posted: Oct 3, 2010 10:03 AM    Msg. 65 of 293       
The one's that are keeping it alive now are very few, though their are new members some of them are mostly rippers not all but most. If anyone wants to keep this game alive
they need to learn how to make custom content instead of ripping other people's shizz.

I'm not accusing anyone of being a ripper I'm just pointing out some errors in this community that needs to be fixed

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Oct 4, 2010 08:08 PM    Msg. 66 of 293       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
Now in 2010, I feel unmotivated to do anything, and it seems no one else does either. Nothing promising is being shown, the community just doesn't feel like it's together. If anything, the forums are mainly for social talking now because barely anyone mods well with anything new.

abkarch

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 03:25 PM    Msg. 67 of 293       
the problem isnt just the new people. its the problem with the kind of new people that:
Want other people to make crap for them, without trying to do it themselves first
rip and then take credit for others work
and just dont want to learn

Geared

EPI Creator

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 03:52 PM    Msg. 68 of 293       
i am very sad to see how this community is going. from help from the older members(i mean by experience) i became a better modeler, hell even anonymous commented positive on a handgun im modeling. b4 i go for BCT and AIT i might just release some of my models as a pack if anyone wants em.

abkarch

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 04:16 PM    Msg. 69 of 293       
I WANT EM

pwner5889

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 04:22 PM    Msg. 70 of 293       
Just wait until I release my CUSTOM tagset. Then HOPEFULLY people will use them instead of Halo 3/Reach rips.

Page 2 of 9 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 12, 2019 5:49 AM 500 ms.
A Halo Maps Website