A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Custom edition in Ubuntu using WINE?

Author Topic: Halo Custom edition in Ubuntu using WINE? (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

iPodStroker

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 04:52 AM    Msg. 1 of 4       
Hi,
I have just installed my copy of halo CE on my Ubuntu (10.04) PC,
I am completely new to Custom edition and need help on changing
the default save file location from 'My Documents' to a different location
of my system (don't really mind where). The trason for needing t change
this, is, when using WINE, it supplies you with the fundamentals of
windows, just not users; so as a result, there is no 'My Documents' folder
at all. I have tried running a Virtual machine (using virtualbox) to run the game,
but I just get a message saying that the VM had no 3D acceleration (even though
I had it enabled in the settings) and telling me to run 'DXDIAG', upon doing this,
I am tol that I cannot use 3D acceleration at all, so that throws that out of the window...
I would really appreciate any help from this community, I tried searching for similar posts, but the only one I found was locked due to piracy suspicions... I would really love to get this game running soon.

Thanks.

pwner5889

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 12:55 PM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Use VMware player, you'll be fine. There is a guide on how to do it though. How to install it in WINE. Go search "Halo CE ubuntu wine"

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 03:40 AM    Msg. 3 of 4       

iPodStroker

Posted: Oct 16, 2010 09:37 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Thanks for all the help, turns out I was using a broken version of WINE, so the 'My Documents' shortcut to my home folder was broken (I actually changed the home folder entirely for my account, which probably had something to do with it) so reinstalling WINE, then following the numerous tips provided worked in getting it installed, and it actually runs faster than on my windows PC!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 18, 2019 2:03 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website