A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »energy shields as barriers

Author Topic: energy shields as barriers (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Xaos

"Aim towards the enemy."

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 12:15 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
is there a way to make large scale energy shields (to cover a human and a covenant cruiser from enemy boarding craft) that can take a certain amount of damage before collapsing, preferably losing opacity as it takes damage (i'd say 75% transparent at full health, and 25% transparent at lowest health, so it gets thicker until it overloads)

the plan is to make it mandatory to have a larger scale assault, or simple coordination to steal the enemy flag (for those who have read my thread, using the frigates heavy weapons to break the shields, or using weapons on the forerunner orbital platform, which would make a good purpose for controlling the platform)

if it is possible, i'd love to have the shield permeable to that team's ships (covenant can fly through covenant shields, human through human) but would this make it too easy if an enemy shot you down and stole your ship? the alternative is making all vehicles destructable, so stealing an enemy vehicle is a real challenge, and thus worth the risk/challenge.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 02:03 AM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Open the plasma shield tag and search around man. Start getting yourself familiar with it.

Xaos

"Aim towards the enemy."

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 06:41 AM    Msg. 3 of 10       
well, from my knowledge of playing halo 1, some forms of weapons don't damage them at all, or not enough to count, so i just wanted to make sure there wasn't some special problem i wouldn't have forseen. i'll do some experimenting in a month or so, when my end-year exams are over.

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 12:03 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
I think all plasma weapon and explosive rounds will damage those barriers.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 12:22 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
just make sure that the damage tags in the human weapons can also damage them.

Xaos

"Aim towards the enemy."

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 08:08 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
ok fair enough. Is this even a good idea? does it sound workable? or are there too many possible bugs to factor in? Also, what about vehicle damage? can i make it so there is no way to just fly through? (except have a way for your team to fly back through maybe)

Enzo03
-
Screenshot Guru
-

I'd rather go without than take what you'd bring.

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 01:24 AM    Msg. 7 of 10       
The problem with both of those is that neither truly sync online. The reason that shields usually work well online is because shots DO sync online, so for the most part, the shields turn on and off when they are supposed to. They can badly desync, though.
Since they do turn back on, these shields usually aren't a problem.

Vehicles are even worse. When someone joins, for each "destroyed" vehicle there will be a completely intact vehicle. Sometimes these lead to crashes, as seen often on the old H2_Coagulation map.

Now if this is single player, by all means go crazy and make fantastic effects.
And I think it is possible to make it so that hitting a shield with a vehicle won't kill it, but I have never bothered to mess with it because without something such as open sauce or another external program, it's not worth the effort to get it working acceptably in multiplayer.

Xaos

"Aim towards the enemy."

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 06:30 AM    Msg. 8 of 10       
so for the de-sync, if i were to destroy the shield momentarily (say for 60 seconds) and someone joined in that time, would they just see the shield as up, or would they actually be unable to fly through it as well?

single player version will be made, planning to make a campaign of it, once i finish my uni exams and read a bajillion tuts on making maps.

is there a decent alternative to having shields to prevent enemies from just flying straight to the base? (i want the forerunner platform to be a must, unless you want to do a full on aerial assault, with the frigate and Experimental Forerunner longswords)

Damn, if bungie want some money, i'd be willing to buy Halo 3 custom edition any day, not that i expect any possible PC version to have a decent custom map maker. i just want it

also, is there some possible way to make it sync online, like by changing how it works? i'm happy to leave it as is if the only issue is a new player joining. thats not so bad.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 07:36 AM    Msg. 9 of 10       
1. The host determines client movement parameters. They will fly through it, but it will seem very glitchy to the client. I would have some kind of script in here to ensure that clients always recieve the correct shield state.

2. Singleplayer is definitely possible, go all out on this.

3. I would use some kind of vehicle and player teleportation system, as seen in coldsnap. This ensured that the base was secure from enemies. I don't think its possible to allow access to one team through an object.

4. Halo Reach PC!!!!! lol.

5. Refer to #3 and #1.
Edited by MoooseGuy on Oct 20, 2010 at 07:37 AM

Xaos

"Aim towards the enemy."

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 08:47 AM    Msg. 10 of 10       
i was thinking about just a one way trip into the ship, but since the flag is in the base, you don't want enemies just strolling in, but don't want to be unable to fall back and defend the flag either

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 16, 2019 8:25 AM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website