A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »The Trinity Map Pack UPDATE

Page 11 of 11 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · [11] · Prev
Author Topic: The Trinity Map Pack UPDATE (383 messages, Page 11 of 11)
Moderators: Dennis

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 07:54 AM    Msg. 351 of 383       
Now these are names I haven't seen a very long time.

WWLinkMasterX

subliminal message.

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 02:33 PM    Msg. 352 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: DA_Ender
I have a few ideas still up my sleeve after my Trinity release.
Edited by DA_Ender on Aug 6, 2016 at 02:28 AM

I know I'm looking forward to this!

SP project(s)?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 04:21 PM    Msg. 353 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: WWLinkMasterX
I have a few ideas still up my sleeve after my Trinity release.
Edited by DA_Ender on Aug 6, 2016 at 02:28 AM

I know I'm looking forward to this!

SP project(s)?

12 year sp project(s)!
Edited by Super Flanker on Aug 6, 2016 at 04:21 PM

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 09:41 AM    Msg. 354 of 383       
Maybe it's just me, but I've got the feeling that many old members are coming back to the forum, that's definitely something positive :)
Edited by lolslayer on Aug 7, 2016 at 09:41 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 05:51 PM    Msg. 355 of 383       
Alot of the coffin dodgers *cough* "old members" still lurk around this site and a few others like this one just to check up on our pointless arguments and to see if jesse has finished anything or not.
Edited by Super Flanker on Aug 7, 2016 at 05:51 PM

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Aug 14, 2016 11:05 PM    Msg. 356 of 383       

We're in Beta 0.8 now, nearing release candidate build.

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 15, 2016 05:20 AM    Msg. 357 of 383       
Not a fan of those cliffs to be honest, could you add a bit more variation both in the texture and the actual mesh?

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Aug 15, 2016 05:28 AM    Msg. 358 of 383       
You better let SBB test those maps before release

Spartan314

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 04:39 AM    Msg. 359 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Not a fan of those cliffs to be honest, could you add a bit more variation both in the texture and the actual mesh?

Agreed.
Although the style kinda reminds me of the extinction days. Has a nostalgia feel to it.

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 07:52 PM    Msg. 360 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

Agreed.
Although the style kinda reminds me of the extinction days. Has a nostalgia feel to it.

Not sure if that's the *good* kind of nostalgia, though ._.

Corvette19

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 09:53 PM    Msg. 361 of 383       
Good to see some familiar faces. I love how nostalgic and faithful this community is hah

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 12:20 AM    Msg. 362 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: renegade343

Agreed.

Dudes honestly I'm not much of a terrain modeler and it's 10 days from release. It's a little late for bsp modifications.

But that aside, these are the same bsp's I modeled just after Extinction's release and I have no intention of changing them. That is what is so magical about them to me. They were made 10 years ago. I am much better with 3ds max now then I was all those years ago, but I want them to be the originals as they were in 2006. The cliff shader I updated from much older bitmaps to Altis' super HD bitmaps but they had to use existing UVW maps. So I had to make the shader work with it, as is, using updated bitmaps. Alot of guess and test for me. But that was about as good as I could make it look without alot more work. If someone who is good with shaders has advice, please feel free to share!
Edited by DA_Ender on Aug 17, 2016 at 12:21 AM

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 01:34 AM    Msg. 363 of 383       

Quote: --- Original message by: renegade343

Agreed.

Dudes honestly I'm not much of a terrain modeler and it's 10 days from release. It's a little late for bsp modifications.

But that aside, these are the same bsp's I modeled just after Extinction's release and I have no intention of changing them. That is what is so magical about them to me. They were made 10 years ago. I am much better with 3ds max now then I was all those years ago, but I want them to be the originals as they were in 2006. The cliff shader I updated from much older bitmaps to Altis' super HD bitmaps but they had to use existing UVW maps. So I had to make the shader work with it, as is, using updated bitmaps. Alot of guess and test for me. But that was about as good as I could make it look without alot more work. If someone who is good with shaders has advice, please feel free to share!
Edited by DA_Ender on Aug 17, 2016 at 12:21 AM

You could just select some vertices on the top of the cliffs with soft-selection and drag up and down to add easy variation. But I understand if you want to meet the deadline.

altis94

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 06:02 AM    Msg. 364 of 383       
it's 10 days from release.

Shame. Deadlines are never a good thing, map quality might suffer from this.

S12Spark

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 09:24 PM    Msg. 365 of 383       
the cliffs really aren't that bad.
Edited by S12Spark on Aug 17, 2016 at 09:25 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Aug 18, 2016 01:14 AM    Msg. 366 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: S12Spark
the cliffs really aren't that bad.
Edited by S12Spark on Aug 17, 2016 at 09:25 PM

No, but they could be better

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Aug 27, 2016 11:46 PM    Msg. 367 of 383       
Public beta release on Extinction's 10 year anniversary! Contamination, the first installment of the Trinity Map Pack.

Post bugs/fixes/glitches/suggestions/criticism here!

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv2f2nyvxup62cl/contamination_publicbeta.rar?dl=0

mihirgates

https://youtube.com/mihirgates

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 12:02 AM    Msg. 368 of 383       
Public beta release on Extinction's 10 year anniversary! Contamination, the first installment of the Trinity Map Pack.

Download:

AWWWWWW SUUMMM ;D <3

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 01:34 AM    Msg. 369 of 383       

Download:

Loaded it up for a quick runaround (mostly to look at the vehicles and weapons). A few things that stood out:
Inconsistent tagset. I'm not really a "muh graphix!" type, nor am I an "all classics all the time" individual, but I do think that whichever route you choose to take, you should stick with it. Sabre and Falcon go together aesthetically, Vesper and Spectre kinda go together aesthetically, but Vesper and Reach's Seraph, not so much. Considering most of your vehicles seem to be from Reach, if it were up to me, I'd probably try to swap out as much of the H1/H2-quality stuff as I could and replace them with H3+ counterparts (or something visually equivalent).
The small arms arsenal seems very limited. I get that it's supposed to be a vehicle-heavy map, but I feel like each team should have access to more than three guns. The arsenal doesn't necessarily have to be as excessive as Extinction's, but it's good to have options.

From what I could find, the UNSC had a suppressed M6D, a suppressed SMG, a suppressed sniper rifle. Too many suppressors. When you consider the scale of the map, they're not really necessary; nobody's going to hear you rattling off a few piddly submachine gun rounds while they're cruising at 750m.

Given the scale of the map, I think you should be looking at heavier weaponry: instead of submachine gun, full-fledged assault rifle. Beef that sucker up. Swap the flashlight out with a grenade launcher. People are going to be facing down tanks, dropships, and exoatmospheric fighterbombers after all. A man-portable LMG (like the one from Halo 2 and SPV2) for ad hoc air defense. Rocket launchers. Shotguns loaded with armor-piercing flechettes or frag rounds. Battle rifles or DMRs, to give people more options at range.

There was also the gauss rifle. Gauss rifle is gusta.

The Covie arsenal had similar issues to the UNSC's, and most of their weapons seemed to be scatterguns. A modified Brute Shot could be worth looking into. Plasma Repeaters, a heavier Needler variant, Covie Carbines, etc.
Plasma pistol's first-person and third-person models don't match. Plasma rifle has some weird color stuff going on, especially when you charge it.
Some HUD elements seemed kinda squashed.
The ships in the sky, while cool to look at, don't seem to have a collision. Which means someone can fly up in there, hover, and rain death from behind what is essentially one-way glass.
The Phantom's nose shield is a cool idea, hopefully that actually increases the craft's resiliency.
Sp'laser Pelican has no visible armaments.
It's kinda weird to have an orbital defense platform just hanging out in-atmosphere, but admittedly, it looks like it'd be loads of fun to capture and try to hold.
Ground vehicles seem a bit limited compared to the variety of aircraft.
There seems to be a lot going on, groundwise, which is good. There are structures and stuff down there, instead of just an empty canyon with a tent off to the side.
Edited by Echo77 on Aug 28, 2016 at 01:40 AM

BipolarAurora

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 01:41 AM    Msg. 370 of 383       

Edited by BipolarAurora on Aug 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM

altis94

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 07:56 AM    Msg. 371 of 383       

• Getting inside half of the vehicles crashes the game for people who use different sound dlls;

• HUD is inconsistent, a mix of spv3, Halo 3 and Halo 1 huds. You should stick with one;

• You can't throw grenades with the pistol;

• Projectiles and sounds disappear when I played alone, online it would be even worse. You should consider optimizing some things, like removing dynamic lights from projectiles;

• Getting out of some vehicles damages the player;

• Flipping over some vehicles is nearly impossible because they keep rolling;

• Some vehicles have health huds

• Most aircraft gets stuck in the BSP very easily

• Some fog would be nice

• Remove nuke from Longsword. It's the most annoying thing;

• Tank is very slow and driver cannot look up to shoot at enemy aircraft;

• Reticles are stretched with widescreen scaling;

• You are using old Falcon tags, you should get newer ones from Bigass tagset release;

• Warthog passenger seat camera is on the ground;

• Ghost constantly shows reloading HUD;

Edited by altis94 on Aug 28, 2016 at 09:26 AM

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 11:16 AM    Msg. 372 of 383       
With the bases cut into the sides of cliffs as they are, I think the biggest issue with nukes, spawnkilling, is probably mostly negated.

In regards to the Scorpion tank being unable to look up, I think this is one of those things that's just inherent to the design: it's always been vulnerable to aircraft coming in from directly above. Unsure if it's something that could be adjusted without the turret popping out of its cradle.

altis94

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 12:04 PM    Msg. 373 of 383       

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 04:30 PM    Msg. 374 of 383       
Thanks everyone for all the helpful notes! I had no one to beta with and it made it difficult to catch everything that came through. Some things mentioned above I had known about and don't know how to fix.

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

Loaded it up for a quick runaround (mostly to look at the vehicles and weapons). A few things that stood out:
Inconsistent tagset. I'm not really a "muh graphix!" type, nor am I an "all classics all the time" individual, but I do think that whichever route you choose to take, you should stick with it. Sabre and Falcon go together aesthetically, Vesper and Spectre kinda go together aesthetically, but Vesper and Reach's Seraph, not so much. Considering most of your vehicles seem to be from Reach, if it were up to me, I'd probably try to swap out as much of the H1/H2-quality stuff as I could and replace them with H3+ counterparts (or something visually equivalent).

The small arms arsenal seems very limited. I get that it's supposed to be a vehicle-heavy map, but I feel like each team should have access to more than three guns. The arsenal doesn't necessarily have to be as excessive as Extinction's, but it's good to have options.

I am at the limit of map size allowed by the game. Any map build I made with a filesize higher than 380MB the map file is grayed out in the list when you try to load it up. This restricted me from using dreamweb as originally intended. The same goes for other content. I had to cut some of the higher quality content to get around this :(

From what I could find, the UNSC had a suppressed M6D, a suppressed SMG, a suppressed sniper rifle. Too many suppressors. When you consider the scale of the map, they're not really necessary; nobody's going to hear you rattling off a few piddly submachine gun rounds while they're cruising at 750m.

The weapons are only suppressed because I think suppressed weapons look cool.

Given the scale of the map, I think you should be looking at heavier weaponry: instead of submachine gun, full-fledged assault rifle. Beef that sucker up. Swap the flashlight out with a grenade launcher. People are going to be facing down tanks, dropships, and exoatmospheric fighterbombers after all. A man-portable LMG (like the one from Halo 2 and SPV2) for ad hoc air defense. Rocket launchers. Shotguns loaded with armor-piercing flechettes or frag rounds. Battle rifles or DMRs, to give people more options at range.

I don't have any weapons that are aesthetically up to date in my tagset that meet this description. While I used to be well-versed in creating custom content, my attempts to create collision models for the scenery in the map led to yelling at 3ds max as bluestreak crashes every time I try to export something. So I used weapon tagset from Zteam and CMT and others who donated as they are with just modifications to the tags. I tried to remove the "halo 3" helmet overlay but I kept creating an exception when I started messing with that.

There was also the gauss rifle. Gauss rifle is gusta.

The Covie arsenal had similar issues to the UNSC's, and most of their weapons seemed to be scatterguns. A modified Brute Shot could be worth looking into. Plasma Repeaters, a heavier Needler variant, Covie Carbines, etc.
Plasma pistol's first-person and third-person models don't match. Plasma rifle has some weird color stuff going on, especially when you charge it.

Good to know I didn't even realize.

Some HUD elements seemed kinda squashed.

also stretched at widescreen. Who knows anything about this that could assist me? I have no idea

The ships in the sky, while cool to look at, don't seem to have a collision. Which means someone can fly up in there, hover, and rain death from behind what is essentially one-way glass.

Believe me nothing in a map bothers me more than things without collision. I HATE it and think its the lamest thing ever. I can't create anything in 3ds max due to crashing when I export anything and these tags were donated to me with no collision models (WTF) I asked a few of my friends if they could make quick collision models for me but everybody is pretty busy and didn't have time.

Sp'laser Pelican has no visible armaments.

Nick has developed an armed pelican for me and it will be added soon :)

It's kinda weird to have an orbital defense platform just hanging out in-atmosphere, but admittedly, it looks like it'd be loads of fun to capture and try to hold.

the physics certainly cause some head-scratching, but makes for some excellent gameplay. I had it up near the top of the map's skybox but it makes just as little sense up there as its still in atmosphere, and I want players to interact easily there as well as be able to snipe.

Ground vehicles seem a bit limited compared to the variety of aircraft.

There seems to be a lot going on, groundwise, which is good. There are structures and stuff down there, instead of just an empty canyon with a tent off to the side.

Quote: --- Original message by: BipolarAurora

<a href="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Brp_O4cV6UA/maxresdefault.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Brp_O4cV6UA/maxresdefault.jpg</a>
Edited by BipolarAurora on Aug 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I noticed this already. I have no idea why the script respawn only effects THIS ONE warthog and no other vehicles. After that hog respawns it does that continuously and if you manage to get in it and you get out again it instantly disappears. Anyone know whats up with that?

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

• Getting inside half of the vehicles crashes the game for people who use different sound dlls;

• What causes this and how can I fix it?

• HUD is inconsistent, a mix of spv3, Halo 3 and Halo 1 huds. You should stick with one;

• Need help with this as I did notice

• You can't throw grenades with the pistol;

• This has now been fixed, thanks dude :)

• Projectiles and sounds disappear when I played alone, online it would be even worse. You should consider optimizing some things, like removing dynamic lights from projectiles;

• I did notice this but wasn't sure why they do this. Also some of the decals that appear when covenant weapons strike a surface are the wrong colour and I need help with this

• Getting out of some vehicles damages the player;

• One of many vehicle glitches I'm not sure how to fix

• Lol halo 1 physics. Is there something a guy can do to help with this?

• I knew of this, how do you remove them?

• Most aircraft gets stuck in the BSP very easily

• Some fog would be nice

• Fog made alot of my scenery objects render white

• I agree. What to replace it with?

• I was using a different tank that was way heavier armed, but it was ugly compared to that gorgeous tank that I used. Should I beef up the speed? Seemed unrealistic. As for aiming again that is something I need help with

• HOW TO FIX?? I HATE THIS! :( :(

• You are using old Falcon tags, you should get newer ones from Bigass tagset release;

• Cool man! Will do!

• Didn't realize, this is the warthog from bigass? How to fix?

• Didn't realize, how does one fix?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to play and review my map it means the world to me. I would really like to fix each one of these things and brings this map's quality up considerably. Which is why I released the beta, I don't want to maps quality to suffer due to a release date I couldn't realistically meet. Anyone who would wish to help me send me a private message with your contact info, assistance would be very appreciated and with some of the issues, the only way they will be fixed, as I'm still relearning how to do some things (I didn't work on a map for 4 years)
Thanks for all your continued support.
Edited by DA_Ender on Aug 28, 2016 at 08:25 PM

altis94

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 08:13 AM    Msg. 375 of 383       

• What causes this and how can I fix it?
    It happens if sounds were compiled with wrong dlls. So far I was the only one getting this so maybe it's not a big issue.

• I did notice this but wasn't sure why they do this. Also some of the decals that appear when covenant weapons strike a surface are the wrong colour and I need help with this
    Well, to start you could remove lights from projectiles. Just open up projectile tags and in attachments remove all of the lights http://puu.sh/qStPd/aba0123e1e.png

Open up the vehicle tag and mess around with these values in the bottom http://puu.sh/qStZC/7d32fe0da8.png

• I knew of this, how do you remove them?
    Remove NEW HUD INTERFACES from a vehicle

• I agree. What to replace it with?
    I'm not sure, you could make a smaller bomb maybe?

• I was using a different tank that was way heavier armed, but it was ugly compared to that gorgeous tank that I used. Should I beef up the speed? Seemed unrealistic. As for aiming again that is something I need help with
    It really should be faster, it takes way too long to travel anywhere with it. As for aiming, open vehicle tag, go to seats and increase pitch range.

• HOW TO FIX?? I HATE THIS! :( :(
    Open up weapon_hud_interface and scroll down to crosshairs. Make width and height the same.

• Didn't realize, this is the warthog from bigass? How to fix?
    I don't know what's wrong with it, maybe tags got corrupted after ripping. Try using warthog and camera tags from bigass tagset release.

• Didn't realize, how does one fix?
    I was unable to reproduce the bug but to remove that you need to open up weapon_hud_interface and remove the crosshair which has reload/overheat type.

Also I just noticed that this scenery object's bounding radius is a bit too small and you can go through the top of it http://puu.sh/qSv5D/4ecf963c23.jpg

BipolarAurora

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 09:43 AM    Msg. 376 of 383       
I noticed this already. I have no idea why the script respawn only effects THIS ONE warthog and no other vehicles. After that hog respawns it does that continuously and if you manage to get in it and you get out again it instantly disappears. Anyone know whats up with that?
Edited by DA_Ender on Aug 28, 2016 at 08:25 PM

Taking a shot in the dark and assuming that you have a phantom BSP that needs to be taken care of.

SBB_Michelle

This site brings me pain.

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 09:53 AM    Msg. 377 of 383       
You can easily get the mapfile under 380mb and still use dreamweb.

Just make that there is only one hud (the z-team hud takes about 40mb, use Jesse's hud if you want h3).

Make sure that everything that should be using the same tags does use the same tags. So if you have two textures that look identical but have two different instances in your tagsfolder get rid of one and fix the references.

The biggest factor in redundant references is when you are USING MULTIPLE TAGSETS WITHOUT EDITING THEM TO REFERENCE AS MUCH SHARED FILES TAGS AS POSSIBLE. I bet that just by fixing the double tags and huds you can loose a 100 mb off of your mapfile.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Aug 29, 2016 at 09:53 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 11:42 AM    Msg. 378 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle

The biggest factor in redundant references is when you are USING MULTIPLE TAGSETS WITHOUT EDITING THEM TO REFERENCE AS MUCH SHARED FILES TAGS AS POSSIBLE. I bet that just by fixing the double tags and huds you can loose a 100 mb off of your mapfile.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Aug 29, 2016 at 09:53 AM

So much this. /\

Aer

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted: Aug 30, 2016 02:29 PM    Msg. 379 of 383       
I have to ask for sprint this map can be a pain if you end in the middle of nowhere without it, there are ways to change bipeds per team so it could be possible to really get elites v spartans

maybe this could help you to get some extra mb
http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/6034-sea-mine/
Edited by Aer on Aug 30, 2016 at 02:33 PM

Nickster5000

Posted: Aug 30, 2016 06:19 PM    Msg. 380 of 383       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

Edited by altis94 on Aug 28, 2016 at 09:26 AM

Carpet Bomb. Look at RPG_Beta 6.2's Longsword for a reference / proof of concept :D

DA_Ender

()R h GD

Posted: Oct 15, 2016 06:56 PM    Msg. 381 of 383       
Hey guys! I had to take some time off as I was traveling with my band, but I'm back at the computer and starting to look at fixing these bugs and condensing my poorly organized tagset to try to remove some redundant references. This is a major undertaking as you can imagine, there were definitely numerous instances.

Altis, I can't thank you enough for the walk-through on the bug fixes. I am still struggling with the warthog bouncing around like a mad man after it respawns, I was wondering if you would be willing to take a look at my script sometime?

Thanks to all for your continued support and I continue to try to make the map more enjoyable and play more smoothly.

Spartan314

Posted: Oct 23, 2016 01:45 AM    Msg. 382 of 383       
Bump for future posts by Ender

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Oct 23, 2016 08:17 AM    Msg. 383 of 383       
Can't wait for a release with fixed bugs :)

Page 11 of 11 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · [11] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed October 23, 2019 1:04 PM 766 ms.
A Halo Maps Website