A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »New custom options like vehicles

Author Topic: New custom options like vehicles (14 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

GameCreat0r

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written..."

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 02:11 PM    Msg. 1 of 14       
So I quickly discovered halo 2 is not such a good halo for map making. Well the map maker is butifull, but bungie just decided to limitate the options even more compared to halo CE. You can no longer make your own vehicle and add it an a map.

Now I read form other topics this is all because of the locked 'shared.map'. It seems to be time we learn how to get past this and start making our own vehicles. This means 'cracking' shared.map. We need to understand how it works. Now I wonder how far this already is. I would like to gather some people working on new utilities for halo 2 to unlock as much as we can. If we suceed in unlocking enough of those things, maybe custom map making for halo 2 will finally evolve into serious activity.

The utilities currently missing (as far as i know):
A .map to tags extractor
A utility to change shared.map
model tags to usefull model converter

If anyone has any ideas or knowledge about all this please feel free to share it. If you see a posibility to make one of those please share your idea.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 07:07 PM    Msg. 2 of 14       

We could be there if certain people could pull their heads out and support the community:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21957-Custom-maps-custom-vehicles-custom-etc...

--------

So here is where we are now:

H2MT Custom Weapons + Vehicles (slightly outdated compared to my newest tags):
http://www.monstrmoose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3520

H2MT MainMenu Mod/ H2.5 (still in beta):
http://www.monstrmoose.com/MMM

I have plans to release up to 10 maps that make use of the MMM. Currently I've been testing Coag Redux and Sandtrap with additional vehicles. Many other maps are in various stages of progress and now that I have a team of map makers we have additional BSPs ready for new vehicles such as a new racetrack or two. We have also received help from H3MT (HCE Map team) and want to continue positive cooperation between the H2V and HCE mappers.

The Hornet would be the best addition thus far. Confirming that the Missile/Mini-gun version is overpowered I have decided to include the Boost/Mini-gun version in future releases.

Over the last year and a half the numbers and quality of many of my new weapons for H2V has increased. The main thing we cannot do when it comes to weapons is new animations. Collision can be faked or is not as nessesary for the FP weapon model.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 12:43 PM    Msg. 3 of 14       
I would like to reply but my keybord is nearly running out of bateries! I come back later.

Master Bates

"I choose not to dabble in such petty affiars."

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 02:06 PM    Msg. 4 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: Niels
I would like to reply but my keybord is nearly running out of bateries! I come back later.

A keyboard driven by batteries?! what foolish madness is this!

GameCreat0r

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 11:09 AM    Msg. 5 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: Master Bates

It's called wireless... (silent)... And yes it is a useless feature for a keybord, since the screen isn't wireless :P

I have seen the custom stuff of MMM and it looks like that wroks quit well.

But I went wondering, What stuff can you make normally (whitout patching or anything like that) and what not? I sould know that first.

-Can I make new objects that explode when you shoot or melee or drive over them?
-Can I make convaors? (I belive so I saw tags for those)
-Can I make holograms as senery or even as cortana?
-Can I add my own sounds? (Can't imagen not)
-Can I make thing like cutscenes or pelicans flying in? (I know those are differend so the questen covers all of them)
-Can I make divises whit switches? (like a bridge that comes down when you hit the button and goes back up if you press it again)
-Can I make custom weapons?

What can be done multiplayer what can't? (Needs to be answhered for all things above) (what will syncronizize whit other players?)

-Can I have AI's in multiplayer maps? (Actually why would I that's a noob idea it wouldn't be fun anyway but let's just ask it anyway.)
-Apearently you CAN have doors in halo 2 multiplayer :D YAY!

This is all about doing stuff whitout patching or anything like that!

beazt

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 01:16 PM    Msg. 6 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: Master Bates

It's called wireless... (silent)... And yes it is a useless feature for a keybord, since the screen isn't wireless :P

I have seen the custom stuff of MMM and it looks like that wroks quit well.

But I went wondering, What stuff can you make normally (whitout patching or anything like that) and what not? I sould know that first.

-Can I make new objects that explode when you shoot or melee or drive over them?can change there apearence, but colision and effects must be from original tag, since h2ek cant make custom colisions
-Can I make convaors? (I belive so I saw tags for those) yes.
-Can I make holograms as senery or even as cortana? yes, as long as you dont expect it to have colision ( btw, it requires some extra tools to make custom render models)
-Can I add my own sounds? (Can't imagen not) yes, kills alone has made some for his custom weapons
-Can I make thing like cutscenes or pelicans flying in? (I know those are differend so the questen covers all of them) I think not
-Can I make divises whit switches? (like a bridge that comes down when you hit the button and goes back up if you press it again) nope, at least for now
-Can I make custom weapons? yes

What can be done multiplayer what can't? (Needs to be answhered for all things above) (what will syncronizize whit other players?)

-Can I have AI's in multiplayer maps? no (Actually why would I that's a noob idea it wouldn't be fun anyway but let's just ask it anyway.)
-Apearently you CAN have doors in halo 2 multiplayer :D YAY! but I havent seen anyone do that for custom map

This is all about doing stuff whitout patching or anything like that!

GameCreat0r

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 07:38 AM    Msg. 7 of 14       
Ok, thank you! I think I will disign a map and test what I can do whit it. But did you just say you cant create your own models and collisions? (exept for the bsp ofcourse) That would make me really sad :( .

Btw how big can a multiplayer map be if you want to avoid lag? Becauese I want to make a big one, while some of the smaller official maps area alreaddy lagging all the time. In CE you could make them quite big...

Twinreaper

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 10:09 AM    Msg. 8 of 14       
My suggestion to you, to avoid lag would be to make a few portals for the map. Also, if you can try to make certain areas of the map use "instanced geometry". You can make maps of the same size as in CE. The only difference is, because of the newer engine and shaders, you need to make portals to help the game engine only load sections of the bsp, and items it needs at the moment and placement of your character, and what you can see. In CE, the graphics weren't the best, so it took a lot less to draw these things. Interestingly enough, if you go through all the sp maps, you will find that each map is seperated into about 6 pieces. The standard Halo 2 map only had about a max of 4 bsp sections each. Think of it as a trade off. Adding portals to gain a graphically superior product.

beazt

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 10:26 AM    Msg. 9 of 14       
Quote: But did you just say you cant create your own models and collisions? (exept for the bsp ofcourse) That would make me really sad :( .

it is plausible to create custom models, but it is not plausible to create custom colisions.

Twinreaper

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 09:29 PM    Msg. 10 of 14       
Actually it is quite easy to create the collision for any custom model. You just need to be good at math and conversions. But remember, their are two different forms of collision for objects...

1. [Coll] Object collision. Collision that occurs for projectiles for example.
2. [Phmo] Physical Model Collision. Collision that occurs when a player hits something, like a wall.

The First one is completely do-able and has been done over and over again for custom models. The Second one, Phmo, still eludes us. We could however do it, if we could get a proper map editor for Halo 2 that doesnt screw the begeezes out of the map after editing it. The main problem with phmo, is we can't figure out why we cannot expand the Polyhedran Equation tree in Guerilla. No matter what editing is done to the code that handles the tag, it just doesn't want to show.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 09:10 AM    Msg. 11 of 14       
That sounds like the point where kornman00 drops in. After all he made his version for CE already. I belive he gave up on this right? Too bad he doesn't share the source code of his work so far so others can try to finish his work off.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 09:03 AM    Msg. 12 of 14       
H2V was built to ignore custom maps which had contained variety of "disallowed" tags, vehicles are one of them.

How could I know H2V was built like this? well for starters the custom map list is hardcoded into the exe, while the default multiplayer map menu is coded onto the mainmenu.map

The 50 custom map limit is hardcoded onto the exe, however the mainmenu.map has the possibility of going over 50.

That sounds like the point where kornman00 drops in. After all he made his version for CE already. I belive he gave up on this right? Too bad he doesn't share the source code of his work so far so others can try to finish his work off.
He's simply too cool to work on this game.
Edited by Shock120 on Dec 23, 2010 at 09:09 AM

seventhmaxkilla

Posted: Jan 13, 2012 06:50 PM    Msg. 13 of 14       
wouldnt the new system itss running on allow you to run halo ce custom edition maps through the maps folder

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 11:45 AM    Msg. 14 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: seventhmaxkilla
wouldnt the new system itss running on allow you to run halo ce custom edition maps through the maps folder
no.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed March 29, 2017 8:48 PM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website