A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny...

Author Topic: Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... (35 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 07:50 AM    Msg. 1 of 35       
You know you want it but how do we get it? No need for fancy, Z-ray tracing ones. After all, they fake the shiny in halo 2 and it looks great.

EDIT:

I am such a perfectionist. I have found out the way to get shiny but I will mnot move on until I made some custom models and BSPs. This may take awhile. Please bear with me
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 08:43 AM    Msg. 2 of 35       
This can only be done with post-processing.

cyboryxmen

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 11:00 AM    Msg. 3 of 35       
By "post processing", you mean post rendering then no-the biped will not look shiny because the texture will not move at all.

After exploring around the internet,i found out a proven theory which an object inside the biped will act as a camera and will render a cubic image map of the scene in the six cardinal directions from any point. The image will then map onto the biped's refl and it will re-render the image as the player moves around.

I am guessing that this should only make the game render 1.25 times of the biped considering that quality will be reduced to get a blurry effect so it shouldn't be a problem unless you are viewing like..18 bipeds at the same time. Course, that still may not be enough to stress the game engine to the point of players spamming the word lag all the time.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 07:51 PM    Msg. 4 of 35       
Er.. look at a shader tag. What's there is there. The shader is pretty self-explanatory.
There should still be a tutorial on shadering.

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 12:45 AM    Msg. 5 of 35       
You willl never get nice looking bumps like that in CE though I can tell you. Why DIDN'T they allow bumps on anything but BSP in combat evolved anyway? Anyone know?

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 03:23 AM    Msg. 6 of 35       
That is exactly what I was trying to go for when I was making this:

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 05:25 AM    Msg. 7 of 35       
The thing is, it is impossible to get the shiny effect to the degree of that game without post-processing.

cyboryxmen

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 09:32 AM    Msg. 8 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
You willl never get nice looking bumps like that in CE though I can tell you. Why DIDN'T they allow bumps on anything but BSP in combat evolved anyway? Anyone know?

Because Microsoft own Halo

But seriously, Microsoft is really shifting to all out to their console,the ice-box...x-box. They may not be doing it on purpose but there are lots of x-box exclusive games out there. Can't they make them x-box AND windows 7 exclusive? We did give them lots of signs. At least upgrade the game engine or something. If unreal can make PC graphics that good, I do not see why Halo 3 did not make it to the PC.

Now the most reliable company for the PC is Steam, Valve and Gearbox. Gearbox itself is the one who worked with Microsoft to get halo to the PC and Microsoft never did develop the custom edition version-just Gearbox and bungie.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 23, 2010 at 09:42 AM

rub3n

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 05:36 AM    Msg. 9 of 35       
Hey nice barrier Jesse could I download it??

MF Boom

I am the bone of my sword...

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 06:41 AM    Msg. 10 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen

Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher

Because Microsoft own Halo

But seriously, Microsoft is really shifting to all out to their console,the ice-box...x-box. They may not be doing it on purpose but there are lots of x-box exclusive games out there. Can't they make them x-box AND windows 7 exclusive? We did give them lots of signs. At least upgrade the game engine or something. If unreal can make PC graphics that good, I do not see why Halo 3 did not make it to the PC.

Now the most reliable company for the PC is Steam, Valve and Gearbox. Gearbox itself is the one who worked with Microsoft to get halo to the PC and Microsoft never did develop the custom edition version-just Gearbox and bungie.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 23, 2010 at 09:42 AM

>most reliable company for the PC is Steam, Valve and Gearbox
>Steam, Valve and Gearbox
>Steam, Valve

As far as I know, Steam = Valve. You could make the argument that Steam offers more than just Source games, but Steam was still made by Valve. And while Gearbox may have made a name for themselves with Borderlands, and being the sole creators of Halo: Custom Edition, as well as the main company that ported Halo itself to PC... I don't think they're one of the big names yet. I'd say it's closer to Valve, Epic Games, and Activision-Blizzard.

cyboryxmen

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 08:02 AM    Msg. 11 of 35       
yoU kidding, Borderlands rocks to the core.

Blizzard...Blizzard... oh wait, WoW.

I am not fond of games like that. The cut-scenes are cool and MMOs always have back stories to them but there are some with cheap and predictable ones like Fiesta. Besides, I want to do the killing myself and not let some passive skill do my work.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 09:12 AM    Msg. 12 of 35       
I want to do the killing myself and not let some passive skill do my work.

This is THE reason I do not play RTS games. I play games as a way to test my real-time skills for fun, not to strategize only and then leave the rest to chance...

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 05:37 PM    Msg. 13 of 35       
yoU kidding, Borderlands rocks to the core.

Blizzard...Blizzard... oh wait, WoW.

I am not fond of games like that. The cut-scenes are cool and MMOs always have back stories to them but there are some with cheap and predictable ones like Fiesta. Besides, I want to do the killing myself and not let some passive skill do my work.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you obviously haven't played WoW. Or if you have, you played it for 10 minutes then quit. Passive skills accomplish nothing. There's an unbelievable amount of strategy and technique going into PvP matches, especially in battlegrounds, that if you tried to just sit around and use passives, you'd get killed in mere seconds. I played WoW for about 3 years straight (wasn't an addict, just had nothing else to do, so I chose to play WoW) and still got killed by a lot of people regardless of knowing what I was doing.

I enjoy some FPS games, but... They're just as simple imo. You point a gun at someone's head, you shoot. In Halo, I pretty much 3SK kids and snipe them out of ghosts and warthogs left and right without much effort. Only one out of every 30 guys on CE pops up who manages to actually out shoot me these days. I find it remarkably boring when I have a 5.0 k/D ratio or higher. I've played Gears of War several times too, but I found it still remarkably easy and rarely died unless I'm taking on the Horde with friends. I die more to AI than I do to players. I like MMO's because there's much more involved in them and they're actually quite enjoyable games. I only play a couple, but WoW was good if you like the Warcraft plot. I played the actual Warcraft RTS games before WoW though, so that helped for my enjoyment. Knowing the KotOR storyline and watching the Star Wars movies, "The Old Republic" looks like the MMO I'll enjoy most.

Probably the only FPS game I can never get bored of is Left 4 Dead. And that's honestly only because with a few friends, it's fun to go through the levels over and over with the weapon placement, zombie selection, and etcetera all changing each time you play through the same map alone. And if you get bored of campaign, hop into Versus and it's still remarkably fun because, go figure, humans are better than AI (even on Expert) at playing Infected. Completely opposite of most FPS games where the AI are actually better than most humans.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 07:15 PM    Msg. 14 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: ASP_GRUNTS
You should go outside.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 09:12 PM    Msg. 15 of 35       
To achieve the affect you need Post Processing, AA, Normal maps, and a cube map applied in your shader.

cyboryxmen

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 12:50 AM    Msg. 16 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
To achieve the affect you need Post Processing, AA, Normal maps, and a cube map applied in your shader.

OK I'm on it. Just need to finish this simple base mesh first. What map do you think I should use for testing?

@MF boom
You are right. I never played WoW in my life. I have played other free MMOs and never got into them for more than a month except Wonderland which let's me make a house and other stuff out of raw materials but I quit because finding those materials gets more and more repetitive overtime and for some other personal reasons.

The only MMORPG I enjoy and will play for a long time is Earth Eternal. I also quit playing that game...when i found out that they were going to be bankrupt.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:53 AM

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 02:08 AM    Msg. 17 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
You should go outside.

If you're implying I should leave the house occasionally, I do. Usually more than once a day, and I don't even work yet. But if you're implying I should go outside to play, then please allow me to laugh at your rather hilarious suggestion.

@MF boom
You are right. I never played WoW in my life. I have played other free MMOs and never got into them for more than a month except Wonderland which let's me make a house and other stuff out of raw materials but I quit because finding those materials gets more and more repetitive overtime and for some other personal reasons.

The only MMORPG I enjoy and will play for a long time is Earth Eternal. I also quit playing that game...when i found out that they were going to be bankrupt.

Nah. I understand bro'. I used to bash on WoW constantly before I played it. It takes a lot to get into, not to mention it really is a leech. Both on your money and your life. I played on a private server, but it was blizzlike so it took forever to get to 80 still. But I had fun with it with the friends I played. I've also played Perfect World for about 3 years, and am now a beta tester for their new game Forsaken World. Also beta-tested FFXIII, and was signed up to beta The Old Republic but never got to unfortunately.

Each person has their own game preference. I'll admit that MMO's can be leeches, but if you only spend a little while playing one that isn't so ridiculously complex, it can be pretty fun. I think RTS and RPG games can have amazing plots though, while most FPS games really don't get that deep. But, hell. I like literally every kind of game. RPG, shooters, RTS or turn-based strategy (Civilization-style), sports, racing, fighting, platform, arcade, puzzle, action-adventure, etcetera. I'll play anything before I bash it. I bash Black Ops all the time even if it's a great game just because it's CoD. >.> Anyways... back on-topic I shall go now.

Whenever you get the textures to look shiny and such -- if you do, that is -- be sure to post a render/screenshot of your results on here. I'd love to see it. Anyone who can stretch the limits of this game is awesome imho. :3c

Mythril
-
Screenshot Guru
-

Jeffrey Albert Waldo

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 04:47 AM    Msg. 18 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: MF Boom
You should go outside.

If you're implying I should leave the house occasionally, I do. Usually more than once a day, and I don't even work yet. But if you're implying I should go outside to play, then please allow me to laugh at your rather hilarious suggestion.

@MF boom

Nah. I understand bro'. I used to bash on WoW constantly before I played it. It takes a lot to get into, not to mention it really is a leech. Both on your money and your life. I played on a private server, but it was blizzlike so it took forever to get to 80 still. But I had fun with it with the friends I played. I've also played Perfect World for about 3 years, and am now a beta tester for their new game Forsaken World. Also beta-tested FFXIII, and was signed up to beta The Old Republic but never got to unfortunately.

Each person has their own game preference. I'll admit that MMO's can be leeches, but if you only spend a little while playing one that isn't so ridiculously complex, it can be pretty fun. I think RTS and RPG games can have amazing plots though, while most FPS games really don't get that deep. But, hell. I like literally every kind of game. RPG, shooters, RTS or turn-based strategy (Civilization-style), sports, racing, fighting, platform, arcade, puzzle, action-adventure, etcetera. I'll play anything before I bash it. I bash Black Ops all the time even if it's a great game just because it's CoD. >.> Anyways... back on-topic I shall go now.

Whenever you get the textures to look shiny and such -- if you do, that is -- be sure to post a render/screenshot of your results on here. I'd love to see it. Anyone who can stretch the limits of this game is awesome imho. :3c

Perfect World? D;
I tried that MMO for a week or so, then gave up. I loved the concept of a huge, single world map, which went on forever, but after swimming the whole way to the bottom of the map, then realising that I could've just teleported there...
>:(

OT: Although shiny is good, there is such thing as TOO shiny, in which it just hurts your eyes and is overly distracting.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 05:02 AM    Msg. 19 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mythril
Perfect World? D;
I tried that MMO for a week or so, then gave up. I loved the concept of a huge, single world map, which went on forever, but after swimming the whole way to the bottom of the map, then realising that I could've just teleported there...
>:(

OT: Although shiny is good, there is such thing as TOO shiny, in which it just hurts your eyes and is overly distracting.

It's actually pretty good. But yeah, the huge issue is the teleportation thing. It's so useful, but if you rely on it, you end up spending a lot of money unless you constantly farm materials or drops to sell and remake money. Not to mention that after level 19, you have so many quests that require traveling good distances, and unless you're the Winged Elves, you can't fly until level 30. God, I remember spending forever getting my Barbarian to 30, and then I ended up making a new character anyway, who I got mere levels away from 30. ... then the new expansion came out, and I tried it, made one of the new classes, and now it's past 30, only to quit for a while and hear "Hey guys, guess what? ANOTHER NEW EXPANSION!" /facepalm.jpg

And, yeeeah. I agree. I would like to see the graphics potentially look higher quality and a little more reflective and detailed, but there are some instances that's overkill. There are a couple CMT maps and even Yoyorast v2 when run with your settings maxed out that even strain a high end single-core processor. I like stretching the limits with Halo, but it's also not meant to do much more than it was built to. I definitely want custom content to look good and clean, unlike some maps (the cars in the Mute City remake, which sure, they're meant to look like F-Zero copies, but they still look pretty ugly), but they don't have to go so far to try to replicate even Halo 3, much less Crysis.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 11:07 AM    Msg. 20 of 35       
You should go outside.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 03:16 PM    Msg. 21 of 35       
Ok, I'll be straight up with you then. I'm implying that you need a life, lol.
Won't be able to respond, in New York.

Waiting for Donut to give his speech on "getting a life"
Edited by Maniac1000 on Nov 25, 2010 at 03:17 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 04:25 PM    Msg. 22 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
Everyone gets a life, it's figuring out what to do with it that causes so much consternation.

cyboryxmen

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 06:00 PM    Msg. 23 of 35       
OMG I found the tag for the shader. Looks like I have to modify this a little

Never spend your life for riches and properties. They will not accompany you in the afterlife. Instead, try to leave something behind for people to remember you by. That is when you will gain true Immortality.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 25, 2010 at 07:15 PM

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 11:41 AM    Msg. 24 of 35       
I shall be remembered as the guy who almost had a brilliant map, but his shaders were horrible. They'll make a children's book about the virtue of "help via pity".

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 03:38 PM    Msg. 25 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
Ok, I'll be straight up with you then. I'm implying that you need a life, lol.
Won't be able to respond, in New York.

Edited by Maniac1000 on Nov 25, 2010 at 03:17 PM

Everyone gets a life, it's figuring out what to do with it that causes so much consternation.

I have a life. >.> I may not have a job, however, but I do indeed have a life, and am working towards being able to afford college. Just because someone plays WoW doesn't mean they don't have a life. *Facepalm.*

And, Slappy, you know more about Halo than I do. I don't know anything about how to make shaders look even remotely good. I kind of just accept things as mediocre and focus more on the model detail than the tags. I'm too lazy to be a perfectionist in Halo.

Never spend your life for riches and properties. They will not accompany you in the afterlife. Instead, try to leave something behind for people to remember you by. That is when you will gain true Immortality.

This, in the F/sN world, is how one becomes a "Heroic Spirit". However, in the modern era, things that would achieve greatness for an individual happen on a daily basis, and standing out from the crowd is nearly impossible. When one would perform acts that previously made them viewed as a hero on the warfield, these days it's often seen that the gun or utility they used is the heroic item, not the person as a heroic spirit. "Geniuses" come so often in academics that no single entity stands out, but a school or organization as a whole. Even a typical President is usually by no means a "hero".

And, in retrospect, the exact words you said, that I quoted, sound like the exact phrase Gilgamesh said. I'm not sure if it is or not, but if so, kudos for the epic reference.

But, rather than trying to accomplish greatness or achieve "immortality", simply focus on achieving happiness with your life and leave behind no regrets, but memories and stories for your newer generations to tell their newer generations.
Edited by MF Boom on Nov 27, 2010 at 03:45 PM

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 09:39 PM    Msg. 26 of 35       
Quote: And, Slappy, you know more about Halo than I do. I don't know anything about how to make shaders look even remotely good. I kind of just accept things as mediocre and focus more on the model detail than the tags. I'm too lazy to be a perfectionist in Halo.
Oh, wait... I didn't mean you. I was just making a joke at myself. I can't do shaders very well, and my map isn't coming along that great because of it... http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=35214&start=1
Lol, that last post of mine definitely came out wrong.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 11:05 PM    Msg. 27 of 35       
In most cases, it does, so it's safe to say that you aren't any different. Idc how much you type to try and defend yourself =P

Do not group in the many with the few. Generalization is a form of assumption, and assumption is one of man's greatest enemies.

I know more people that I've met from WoW than I have from here, or even from school, who have ended up being people I could trust with my life. Ironically, 90% of them don't play WoW anymore, much like myself.
Edited by MF Boom on Nov 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 01:22 AM    Msg. 28 of 35       
I like poodles.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 02:56 AM    Msg. 29 of 35       
I like poodles.

I don't. I prefer mythical creatures capable of using magic.

You know, like, a liger?

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 03:36 PM    Msg. 30 of 35       
I like poodles.

You know, like, a liger?

Hey, you got any chapstick?

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 06:45 PM    Msg. 31 of 35       
I like poodles.

You know, like, a liger?

Hey, you got any chapstick?

Nope. And no, I will not share my tots either. My tots. ;~;

I suggest you reread my message, lol...

Nope. I'm good. One time was more than enough.

On-topic: Speaking of shiny, are in-game mirrors possible with actual reflective surfaces? Or would that be way too complex for the Halo engine to handle? o.o

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 07:26 PM    Msg. 32 of 35       
Shaders can be mirrors. There's a checkbox at the bottom of the tag.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 08:43 PM    Msg. 33 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Shaders can be mirrors. There's a checkbox at the bottom of the tag.

Awesome. I'm going to have to put a couple mirrors in my map then. 8D

Then I assume you know "Idc how much you type to try and defend yourself =P" means that all of your posts in response to that were a waste?

I'm sorry, what? I wasn't really paying attention to anything you said. I kind of stopped caring. :3c

Architect of Halo

Justice for all

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 08:56 PM    Msg. 34 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: jesse
That is exactly what I was trying to go for when I was making this:

Nice.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 11:35 PM    Msg. 35 of 35       
You're denying yourself as being a loser when flat out told that you are. Typical loser-like behavior C=

And you're the one being immature and constantly insulting me. Yeah. I suggest you drop the subject and get back on topic.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat January 18, 2020 6:25 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website