A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Couple questions (scripting and tag related).

Author Topic: Couple questions (scripting and tag related). (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MF Boom

I am the bone of my sword...

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 10:48 PM    Msg. 1 of 12       
So, couple of you might remember me from back in the day. By that I mean 2006-2007, seeing as how I left for yeeeears. Well I just came back, and saw a lot of pretty great maps released while I was gone. Absolutely love Yoyorast V2, though I'm disappointed by the lack of a secret room in some ways; I understand the reason of it's disclusion, but I like hunting for secret rooms. Also kind of enjoy DMT's "Broken Indigo" map. Very unique, and surprisingly can be rather fun...

So, seeing as how all these good maps have come out, and my computer's slightly upgraded, I decided, hey... Time to start making a couple maps again. However, despite how much I remember about modeling and all that, there are still a couple things I don't know, especially with my bad memory. So, if anyone can answer these basic questions, and a couple specific questions, I'd appreciate it.

1.) Is Bluestreak still the best option for Max 9?

2.) Are there any "tag packs" worth downloading, or should I just stick to ripping tags from other maps? Also, any decent texture packs out there?

3.) Speaking in Max 9 terms, what the the dimensions of Master Chief, a Warthog, and the rough scale of, say, Hang 'Em High?

4.) Are there any tutorials or guides you might recommend? I'm no beginner, but I do enjoy learning new techniques or reading tips on things to make things easier or more efficient.

5.) ^ is a ladder tag, + is a portal (or sky) tag, and % is to make things double-sided, correct?

6.) How do you make "destructible scenery"? More specifically, see Broken Indigo for how the glass platforms underneath you can break. How would I go about making glass windows that could be shot out?

7.) Related to the previous post, can anyone post a code or explain how to "respawn" items with a trigger volume or over time? Talking scenery, like breakable glass or fusion coils.

8.) How difficult is the process of making switch-operated gates/doors functionable in maps? Such as the main gate in Yoyorast v2, for example.

9.) I'm assuming that grav-lifts typically are still rather broken, and AI is still impossible to sync; am I right, or have methods been discovered to prove otherwise?

10.) Is there a guide or tutorial on things you can do via scripting? Specifically certain effects activating within trigger volumes, such as a "kill box", or other useless but fun ideas, such as certain regions where you slowly regenerate health, or areas you turn invisible, etcetera.

If anyone can help me with some of these useless questions, I'd appreciate it. It's been a long time since I've worked with Halo, but I'm hoping to put out something worthwhile. I don't expect much help outside of answering questions though. Either way, thanks.~

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 11:29 PM    Msg. 2 of 12       
1- yes
2- CMT released their tags and i think ifafudafi (or something like that) released his plasma pack. I made a texture thread that has some textures (by me and other users) that you might like.
3- I cant remember, i think MC is 90 units tall, you should use the gbx model importerV2 to find scales of MC and Vehicles.
4- Talk to me on xfire and ill link to what you need.
5- I always consult the Official HEK Tutorial and look in the materials overview.
6- Dunno
7- Dunno
8- Dunno
9- There is a working mancannon on the newest (unreleased) Narrows. AI cannot sync still.
10- Gamma or maybe ASPGrunts would be the guys to ask. Maybe Dwood made a scripting tut.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 12:46 AM    Msg. 3 of 12       
I have another idea, actually. Still involves scripting, so anyone who can answer the previous questions can potentially answer this as well.

I know people have modified the "flashlight" function to have other purposes. I vaguely remember one person turning into a radio or something? I'm wondering if there's any way to explain how to go about doing that, so I could modify the flashlight to have various other functions. I'm still working out the details of what it would do, since only one function is available at all times for every player, but still.

If that's too difficult, perhaps someone could explain something else. In a couple of the H3 remake maps for CE -- Valhalla, The Pit, and Sandtrap -- there's a Bubble Shield and a Power Drain. I'm assuming those required more than just simple tags, but how would I implement extra functions like that into my map?

What I'm thinking is similar to how you can already pick up Camoflauge and Overshield ordinarily, but they activate instantly. I want something you can pick up, but hold on you as a "third weapon", and only deploy it when needed. This way you have a potential short-lived invulnerability, camoflauge, speed boost, anti-gravity, or whatever else ideas I can come up with. I'd balance them all accordingly to have logical time limits for each ability, but I'm basically trying to implement the idea of Halo: Reach's "armor abilities".

The only thing that I'm unsure about is how to leave it so you can only pick up one of these at a time. On the remake for "The Pit", you can carry both the Bubble Shield and the Power Drain; I want it so you could only have one, such as only the Camoflauge ability or the Invulnerability ability.

Yeah, I know, I'm throwing my ideas out there in the open where other people could read it and be like "hey, I want that too". Honestly, I'm not the kind of person who comes up with an idea and doesn't want anyone else to be able to use it. I'm just thinking up ways to make Halo CE more up-to-date and still enjoyable. Stretching the limits for a really old game to do more than it's supposed to.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 01:39 AM    Msg. 4 of 12       
I know what you are describing is indeed possible with some easy scripting, but I forgot how at the moment. I am posting here to say that the dimensions of a player are 40 by 40 by 70.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 12:16 PM    Msg. 5 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
I know what you are describing is indeed possible with some easy scripting, but I forgot how at the moment. I am posting here to say that the dimensions of a player are 40 by 40 by 70.

I figured as much. I know I'm not stretching the limits too far, it's just going to be something that would take working on. But considering I used Editable Mesh when I first started and had no clue how to model, but without ever having watched a tutorial video since, figured out how to use Editable Poly and model stuff from scratch (even modeling a really close replica of Hang 'em High by hand, without a guide or comparison model)... I think I could probably learn scripting well enough to pull it off, it'd just take some time.

Also, appreciated. I've never been sure about dimensions to figure out how to make an appropriately sized map. Outdoor, you just kind of wing it and go with a set size. Indoor is the more complicated part. I'm never sure how to scale a map to have hallways only big enough for two Spartans standing side-by-side, and make it appropriate for as little as 8 people. Now, I can probably adjust accordingly.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 01:21 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
Sounds cool, man.
Welcome back to the forums. I don't think I was here when you were but yeah.
About scripting, it doesn't take that long to learn. As soon as you get the format and the basic steps down, it should be pretty smooth sailing from there. I learned scripting in about three weeks.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 08:04 PM    Msg. 7 of 12       
For a flashlight script,

(script continuous title
(sleep_until (= (unit_get_current_flashlight_state (unit (list_get (players) 0))) true) 15)
(unit_set_desired_flashlight_state (unit (list_get (players) 0)) false)
([COMMANDS])
(sleep [time before next repetition])
)

should suffice. Please note that this is a rather crude way to implement it, though still effective. What it does is wait for the first player's flashlight to activate. Upon this, the script will automatically deactivate the flashlight, and run the commands listed afterwards.

As for a third weapon, I believe there's a checkbox that says "does not count towards maximum".

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 09:57 PM    Msg. 8 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
Sounds cool, man.
Welcome back to the forums. I don't think I was here when you were but yeah.
About scripting, it doesn't take that long to learn. As soon as you get the format and the basic steps down, it should be pretty smooth sailing from there. I learned scripting in about three weeks.

Well. I came back off and on, for about a month in mid-2008, and early 2009 I believe. I've been around occasionally, and I still check up on forums, I just had a lot of other things going on. No school or anything yet, nor a job. That's actually coming up soon, but I'm sticking around here regardless. I just shifted games. Got bored of Halo after a while, and moved over to WoW for all of 2009 and 2010 until around May, and just recently got the idea to come back to Halo because of my brother, also a member here.

And, yeah, I figured as much. It reminds me in some ways of Javascript. And, I went from knowing no Javascript to just tweaking some scripts my brother had made for an embedded Java IRC client on his website and ended up giving him several more things to work with. I figure just playing around with it, I could figure it out I just don't know where to get a good guide or anything.

Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
For a flashlight script,

(script continuous title
(sleep_until (= (unit_get_current_flashlight_state (unit (list_get (players) 0))) true) 15)
(unit_set_desired_flashlight_state (unit (list_get (players) 0)) false)
([COMMANDS])
(sleep [time before next repetition])
)

should suffice. Please note that this is a rather crude way to implement it, though still effective. What it does is wait for the first player's flashlight to activate. Upon this, the script will automatically deactivate the flashlight, and run the commands listed afterwards.

As for a third weapon, I believe there's a checkbox that says "does not count towards maximum".

Well, actually... That may be good enough for me. I'm sure there's another perhaps better way to do it, but that function establishes exactly what I need because it removes flashlight functionality, and gives you an alternative feature.

I decided in light of the idea of having "armor abilities", I was thinking of ways of having different ones. As such, I got this idea: link an "ability" to a weapon. Presuming that, through scripting, you can detect what kind of weapon someone is holding, you could slightly alter the script to have an "if"/"elseif" function, I could associate certain abilities with certain weapons. Plasma weapons would be the ones to have camo (since a "roll' option would require exporting animations and I'm not so sure that would work), while marine weapons would have sprint. I'm only talking basic here: pistol and rifle. More complex weapons like fuel rod or jetpack could have antigravity to function as a "jetpack" of sorts, while some others like shotgun could have the short lived invulnerability.

Of course, this is all subject to what I can actually do with scripting, and you're welcome to suggest ideas or alternatives, as well as state opinions on the matter. Constructive criticism is something I welcome appreciatively.

Also, probably my last question (although not really a question by technicality). I'm not bad at modeling, I've figured out a lot of tricks just playing around. I mostly only use three tools. "Connect" to split polygons so I have more to work with, since the Tesselate tool is pretty ugly to me; "Target Weld" to close areas by welding specific vertices together, since I find it more accurate than "Bridge" for edges; and the "Move" tool, usually for edges or vertices, to adjust the X/Y/Z coordinates to a specific position... This seems to establish all the functions I need for basic and even intermediate modeling, but I would like perhaps a decent all-around tutorial on modeling. I know I could search Tutorialized and find videos on a lot of different categories, but I'm obviously more focused on Halo map design. While perhaps "house model" tutorials could get pretty close, if anyone's compiled an intermediate-to-expert level map design tutorial, that would be unbelievably useful to me. I eventually want to be able to model my own vehicles and weapons, but that's for another time and place, unless I find someone good enough to do it for me. Ha.

Thanks again though everyone. I appreciate the help so far.

Gamma927

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 10:12 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: MF Boom
I decided in light of the idea of having "armor abilities", I was thinking of ways of having different ones. As such, I got this idea: link an "ability" to a weapon. Presuming that, through scripting, you can detect what kind of weapon someone is holding, you could slightly alter the script to have an "if"/"elseif" function, I could associate certain abilities with certain weapons. Plasma weapons would be the ones to have camo (since a "roll' option would require exporting animations and I'm not so sure that would work), while marine weapons would have sprint. I'm only talking basic here: pistol and rifle. More complex weapons like fuel rod or jetpack could have antigravity to function as a "jetpack" of sorts, while some others like shotgun could have the short lived invulnerability.

Though I'm not sure a jetpack could work out, this idea could be implemented. The only issue here is whether it's intended to work online or not, though I can see this implemented efficiently for a single player map.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 10:38 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       
Though I'm not sure a jetpack could work out, this idea could be implemented. The only issue here is whether it's intended to work online or not, though I can see this implemented efficiently for a single player map.

Most of the functions are leaning more towards multiplayer. I'm not quite as fascinated by single-player in Halo because, while it's fun, I have many other games I'd play for single-player over Halo.

I'll go ahead and mention the other ideas to see if they're possible as well, while I search around for scripting tutorials and guides.

The reason I asked about trigger volumes before, and mentioned other functions besides a "kill box", is for an idea I had. I planned on creating a more tactical team-based map that's not quite a run-and-gun and 3SK people with pistols all day kind of game. I planned on using tags of H2 or potential H3 weapons, maybe CMT maps, etcetera. Battle Rifle is a possibility, as 4 headshots seems reasonable. I don't want death to be quite as quick as it is in Halo 1, even if this is a map made for Halo 1...

So, that having been said... Within the map, I planned on creating two relatively large bases. Three, maybe four stories, but not overly large -- I'm not talking Hugeass or Coldsnap sized; maybe comparable to Avalanche, but probably not even quite that large; Valhalla maybe? This is including a branched off basement, two hallways that lead from the main base to two separate rooms entitled the "Armory" and "Medical Bay".

Those rooms are the ones I would want the trigger volume functions:

The Medical Bay's function, via trigger volume, would be to slowly regenerate your health. I'm removing health packs from the map, because gaining all your health back at once makes it less strategic to me. On top of that, presuming I learn enough about scripting to pull it off, I planned on setting it to check the team ID of the players inside the trigger volume. This way, proposing blue team attempts to rush red team's base, and there are red spartans within their medical bay... They can regain health. However, the blue spartans rushing them will not regain health in that medical bay, giving the red team a minor advantage in defending their own base, and preventing people from trying to camp the opposing team's medical bays.

The Armory's function would be similar, if it's possible. Rather than a slow health regen., though, it would obviously be a slow ammo regen. function. Now, I know, I can just place weapons in the armory so people can pick up ammo, but the problem with this is that they can also pick up the weapon without having had it before. I like the idea of having to go to certain points in the map to get power weapons, as it's a team-based strategy of having to cover your team while they recover an important item to give them an advantage. But rather than having to constantly go out to that spot to get more ammo, I thought the idea of an armory with a reasonably slow ammo regen. would make you want to run out to get the weapon, but run back to your team's base to stock up and prepare a strategy of how to combat the other team, who may have gotten other power weapons and are stockpiling ammo...

Again, you're welcome to criticize these ideas, and if they're not possible, be sure to let me know. I'm just really coming up with ideas off the top of my head that seem like they could potentially be fun, and hoping I can implement them into Halo. These are ideas I plan on putting into my own game, which I haven't decided if it'll be a Source mod or a UT mod, or if I just wait until I can build my own game code after college with a couple other classmates.

Also, to my previous post, I meant "fuel rod or rocket launcher". I never re-read my posts since I'm horrible at summarizing and honestly find my OWN posts to be tl;dr, but I tend to think way head of what I'm saying or typing, so I said "jetpack" in place of "rocket launcher" since that's the ability I was associating with it. My bad.
Edited by MF Boom on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Gamma927

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 11:13 PM    Msg. 11 of 12       
Though I like your idea for implementing armor abilities, one issue is running the scripts for each player. It's one thing to write a script that checks the first player's weapon and activates an armor ability for him, but it's another to write a script that checks the weapons of all players while simultaneously activating armor abilities for each player. I'm not saying that this is impossible, but I foresee an index based script. The issue here is that I've been told that the index for each player is subject to change throughout a game, meaning that all index based scripts wouldn't work properly.

Though a Medical Bay could be possible (not sure if negative damage effects work), again, to ensure that only a single team would reap the benefits of such a room, you would need a team check script. However, these scripts are again based upon indexes, which I've said before, are subject to change.

The Armory, however, is not possible. You could do incremental ammo regen with the continuous spawning of ammo packs, though it could be utilized by the enemy team. Again, the team check script comes to doubt here.

MF Boom

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 11:45 PM    Msg. 12 of 12       
Though I like your idea for implementing armor abilities, one issue is running the scripts for each player. It's one thing to write a script that checks the first player's weapon and activates an armor ability for him, but it's another to write a script that checks the weapons of all players while simultaneously activating armor abilities for each player. I'm not saying that this is impossible, but I foresee an index based script. The issue here is that I've been told that the index for each player is subject to change throughout a game, meaning that all index based scripts wouldn't work properly.

Though a Medical Bay could be possible (not sure if negative damage effects work), again, to ensure that only a single team would reap the benefits of such a room, you would need a team check script. However, these scripts are again based upon indexes, which I've said before, are subject to change.

The Armory, however, is not possible. You could do incremental ammo regen with the continuous spawning of ammo packs, though it could be utilized by the enemy team. Again, the team check script comes to doubt here.

Ah, true. I guess I didn't think about the fact the script wouldn't just check one player at a time, but have to actually recognize all the different functions and details of every single player running at once to perform the script. I guess that does make it a bit limited. Still possible, just much much more difficult. I suppose, in essence, it's far more simple to implement all these functions into a single-player map with AI. But I'm not any good with AI nor making a single-player map that would function well enough to be worth playing. So, the ideas were worth asking about to make sure, but if they're far too complex to actually implement properly without running into problems, it may not be worth it after all.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 16, 2020 12:44 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website