A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »soft selection

Author Topic: soft selection (14 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 10:42 PM    Msg. 1 of 14       
I used the soft selection in gmax to make the hills on my map look smooth instead of blocky. The hills it was used on were in the background so please don't go off on me for using it, it's just for scenery purposes. When i get my map into tool it says that i can't use it cuz its not a shader. I thought "ok" and went to remodel the hills but when i did that it said i had open edges...i didn't, i checked four times over for them. How would i bypass this open edge stuff in tool? Or how would i bypass the soft selection?
Edited by ricola_reaper on Nov 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 11:50 PM    Msg. 2 of 14       
I dont understand what you are saying.

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 11:58 PM    Msg. 3 of 14       
I used soft selection to give the hills the illusion of being smooth. Tool doesnt like this and said i cant. I rebuilt it and now its saying i have open edges when the modeling program says i have none.

How would i get around the open edges error in tool or get around the shader error?

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 12:03 AM    Msg. 4 of 14       
1st you should select all verts and weld at 0.01
stl check does not always work.
what is the other error?
what is the shader error?

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 12:12 AM    Msg. 5 of 14       
After i type in tool structure levels\map map, i get this:

###WARNING found #3 degenerate triangles.
building collision geometry...
### ERROR edge #158 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #217 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #225 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #462 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #519 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #571 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #574 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #613 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #619 is open (red).
### ERROR failed to build collision geometry.
### ERROR failed to import collision bsp.

the smoothing group error has changed on me when i tried it again:

building intermediate geometry...
### ERROR model file has wrong version number.;
Edited by ricola_reaper on Nov 29, 2010 at 12:16 AM

tried it a second time and it was fine up to "building render geometry..."
then it kept saying
### the model shader mt1 # cannot be used in the environment.
building subclusters...
some shaders were of inapproriate types.
Edited by ricola_reaper on Nov 29, 2010 at 12:40 AM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 01:26 AM    Msg. 6 of 14       
lol, i drag my verts up one by one without soft selection. Takes time, but it gets you exactly what you want.

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 01:35 AM    Msg. 7 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
lol, i drag my verts up one by one without soft selection. Takes time, but it gets you exactly what you want.
Thats the problem. i tried to cut the polygons so i could do that and then textured it all again afterwards. I get that red error message but the thing is, i have no open edges according to Gmax.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 01:39 AM    Msg. 8 of 14       
Gotta import the .wrl and look at it from there. Gmax won't tell you.

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 01:41 AM    Msg. 9 of 14       
the .wrl?

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 01:45 AM    Msg. 10 of 14       
When you get an error like that. a MAPNAME.wrl is created in the Halo CE root directory. Import that into GMax.

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 01:54 AM    Msg. 11 of 14       
I didn't find this .wrl but i did find a "mt1 #.shader_model" I'm assuming this has something to do with the smoothing group thing i was trying to do. It has the same name as the error but i think i can only open it in Guerilla.

I wouldn't know how it would relate to the smoothing group unless i should make a shaders folder in my map folder and stick it in there?(nvm, just tried that, doesnt change the error.)
Edited by ricola_reaper on Nov 29, 2010 at 01:57 AM

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 07:52 AM    Msg. 12 of 14       
The mtl errors you get mean you either misapplied your materials from within gmax, or do not have an appropriate shader model for one of your materials. I had a similar problem for a lighting bitmap, and tool created an empty shader file in the tags directory because of this. I manually pointed the bitmap shader query to my shader file, then passed the command through again, and it worked.

Your open edges error could in fact be turned edges: in edge mode, there is a function called 'Turn', by the 'Attach', 'Detach', 'Create', etc commands up top. Skim your map for weird looking smoothing. I recommend you apply the same group to all your faces, that way oddly positioned faces will highlight better. Sometimes when you move faces or vertices, it causes some edges to 'fold' over (more like faces to fold over, with an edge representing the crease). This will appear as an oddly shaded area, with a face protruding out. Generally, this edge will not be visible, meaning it will not be lined in white as most edges are. If this is the case with your map, turn that edge. It should 'fold' back into your map. Tool may view those edges as open, even if gmax does not.

If that doesn't solve it, import the wrl as previously mentioned. Chimp has a wrl importer, so use that. The wrl should be in your CE root directory. If it's not...well then you have a larger issue. Tool isn't communicating properly, and you may need to reinstall. Let me know if oyu need more explanations.

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 12:56 PM    Msg. 13 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: l283023
I'm thinking you didn't name your materials correctly. You can find out to do this by reading the Official HEK tutorial.

Scroll to Application of Materials.
http://hce.halomaps.org/hek/references/level_design/mp_level_design/mp_ld_level_creation_part_01.html

=\

sorry, forgot to reply to that one while i was fighting with my pc about the tool thing. i shall have to look at that part and redo all my materials. Thank you

@CAG Gonzo
I got a shader model in my tag directory also, would i put this into a shader folder as i tried before? And what command would i use in tool for this other then "tool structure levels\mapname mapname" if that isn't it?

just found which file to put it into and now im getting this:

choose a type for the shader 'mt1 #:
1. shader_environment
2. shader_model
3. shader_transparent_generic
4. shader_transparent_chicago
5. shader_transparent_chicago_extended
6. shader_transparent_water
7. shader_transparent_glass
8. shader_transparent_meter
9. shader_transparent_plasma

should i enter number one or two, im assuming one of those because for one, It'll be part of the environment when it's in game and two, it's the model itself.
Edited by ricola_reaper on Nov 29, 2010 at 01:05 PM
Edited by ricola_reaper on Nov 29, 2010 at 01:12 PM

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 02:57 PM    Msg. 14 of 14       
For a bsp, you would enter a 1 for shader_environment. Also, it doesn't appear that you named your materials in 3ds max/Gmax because 'mt1 #' isn't a good name for a shader.

well the mt1# appeared when i clicked on the smoothing group/soft selection, thats on the modeling itself though and i guess it didn't like it? i don't know. Got it to work though, thank you all.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat March 28, 2020 4:37 PM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website