A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Eternal Lightning

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: Eternal Lightning (78 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

graffics

Wat did u Say?

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 12:54 AM    Msg. 1 of 78       
how do you use Eternal Lightning

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 01:08 AM    Msg. 2 of 78       
I have no clue.

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 01:46 AM    Msg. 3 of 78       
1) Launch the program
2) Click the huzzah button
3) Select the map
4) Yay, now you can rip =O

P.S. All this does is re-name the the <protected> name to something different for each tag.
Edited by d4rfnader on Dec 2, 2010 at 01:47 AM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 01:57 AM    Msg. 4 of 78       
To get your computer in the proper format to use Eternal Lightning:

1. Press Windows + R
2. Type cmd
3. Press enter.
4. Type: format c:/
5. Press enter.
6. ???
7. Profit!

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 05:12 AM    Msg. 5 of 78       
LOL,as far as i know from as previous post eternal lightning will let you do that but you realise that the tags will not be in any sort of order,i wouldnt use it if i were you.anyway if it's protected then maybe it would be fair to leave it alone no?
Edited by ally on Dec 2, 2010 at 05:12 AM

anonymous_2009

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 10:06 AM    Msg. 6 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: graffics

You get some respect for the author of the map and contact them if you want tags. Piece of crap scum.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 10:09 AM    Msg. 7 of 78       
No, it's ok. Just follow my instructions and you should be fine.

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 10:25 AM    Msg. 8 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
To get your computer in the proper format to use Eternal Lightning:

1. Press Windows + R
2. Type cmd
3. Press enter.
4. Type: format c:/
5. Press enter.
6. ???
7. Profit!

OMG xD can you get in trouble for that. if i was like i was 3 or 4 years ago i would have tried that.

So? By using eternal lightning you are TECHNICALLY being illegal anyway. That program slipped through the cracks for the simple fact that bungie/no one else with actual money cares about this game because it is old.

Besides, if you know how to get CMD up and know what it is used for you should always question on Google any commands you don't know by heart that people give you.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 12:26 PM    Msg. 9 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
So? By using eternal lightning you are TECHNICALLY being illegal anyway.
This is incorrect and erroneous information.

eliteslasher

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 12:30 PM    Msg. 10 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_L0d3man
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Quote: --- Original message by: graffics

You get some respect for the author of the map and contact them if you want tags. Piece of crap scum.

Ripping things is "allowed", keep your ethical views on it to yourself for that is not what this topic is about.

That is true, but it's not even about the ethical nature of it. It's simply about that it is not that hard to just ask. The reason people protect is not so they can make rippers angry, it's so people who are complete noobs don't go and use the tags or BSPs to the point of them becoming so old in maps that people say, "meh those tags suck anyway."
I don't have a problem with experienced people ripping so much as i do with people who can't populate or do anything in the HEK for crap, aren't willing to credit, and don't understand the concept that for every time a map or tag is redone, the original creators lose their originality themselves. This is true especially when every single person is allowed to use it.

@ Dennis
How can it not be true? It cracks code.
Anyway, that doesn't matter. It's allowed anyway on here since the game is so old and no one cares.
Edited by eliteslasher on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 12:48 PM    Msg. 11 of 78       
the game is so old and no one cares.

I care.

d4rfnader

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 01:16 PM    Msg. 12 of 78       
Lol, all eternal lightning does is rename the tag from protected to something different, there's no true protection for a halo ce map =P
Edited by d4rfnader on Dec 2, 2010 at 01:16 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 01:21 PM    Msg. 13 of 78       
I will find one.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:03 PM    Msg. 14 of 78       
People shouldn't rip everything because then new members just get in that habbit. So they learn f-all and just TAKE everything and usually don't credit people who created the content for their efforts.

it's called respect and logically to learn how to make something your self...

/en because these stupid discussions in halorips.org just go on for ever.

d4rfnader

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:17 PM    Msg. 15 of 78       
I really don't get why you guys want to keep tags away from the community, getting recognition on a halomaps website won't get you anywhere lol.
Edited by d4rfnader on Dec 2, 2010 at 04:18 PM

Geared

EPI Creator

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:23 PM    Msg. 16 of 78       
this si why ima model my name into my stuff from now on... :P

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:26 PM    Msg. 17 of 78       
i don't get the impression the guys look at it as recognition,saying thanks to someone in a text doc attached to a map or asking them in the first place doesn't cost a penny.how hard would it really be to send someone a pm to ask them if you can use the items they made,you never know the person just might respect you in return for you actions.

d4rfnader

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:30 PM    Msg. 18 of 78       
People won't ask for tags because too often they'll be told to do it them selves.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:35 PM    Msg. 19 of 78       
i wouldn't know that for sure i have asked anyone,and neither do i plan on using anyone's tags not unless i had asked.no ain't gonna hurt me.

eliteslasher

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:44 PM    Msg. 20 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: d4rfnader

I really don't get why you guys want to keep tags away from the community, getting recognition on a halomaps website won't get you anywhere lol.
Edited by d4rfnader on Dec 2, 2010 at 04:18 PM

*facepalm* You really need to understand this so please reread my post.

Summary:
It's not about keeping tags from the community, it's about keeping tags from people who are new, and want to go "gimie gimie". While it is true, getting recognition won't get you anywhere, you fail to understand that it 's about encouragement. Whether a person's motivation is to make tags for fun or to make tags for recognition, the fact of the matter is this. People work a hell of a lot faster when they feel appreciated. (People who make custom content please quote the previous sentence if you agree)

Also, sapien noobs should not use up the quality of tags. (Yes quality of tags can be used, abused, and diminished. Look at some of the older CMT tags that used to be the ****) They can live with mediocre tags until they learn a thing or two. When they then make a worthy enough map to release instead of releasing their little 200 poly count "look at me I use heightmaps on a 1 km by 1 km map and know nothing of structures" then it's time to start using better tags.

I am NOT saying here btw that large maps such as RPG maps are bad.

d4rfnader

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 04:55 PM    Msg. 21 of 78       
The thing is, there are really no decent tutorials out there that are easy for new people to understand, and because of this people rip, as someone who's fairly new i can tell you, it took me forever to learn scripting because the tutorials out there AREN'T NOOB FRIENDLY, and until the tutorial's out there make sense every new person will rip.

Dennis

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 05:53 PM    Msg. 22 of 78       
@ Dennis
How can it not be true? It cracks code.
Anyway, that doesn't matter. It's allowed anyway on here since the game is so old and no one cares.
The EULA allows you to make maps, it does not give you ownership or the ability to copyright them or anything made for or from them. Therefore you have no legal protection for the maps.

I have said this before and it is patently obvious that most of the people here do not understand what it means:

You can not copyright, meaning you don't own, anything made for or from the Halo game because Microsoft/Bungie holds the copyright to the intellectual properly for all things related to the Halo game. Simply what that means is that you can make a map and you can possess a map but you can not own it and you have no way to enforce compliance with your desires for that map.

These are not your toys your are playing with. You only lease the right, for a one time fee, to play with them. Microsoft/Bungie are the actual owners of the Halo software and all things made from or for the game regardless of who made them. If you read the EULA you will see that they retain the right to revoke your use of their software. You don't own it you license (lease, rent) it.

Once you understand that, even if you don't agree with it (which is immaterial because it is a fact), you will see how this whole ripping issue is nothing more than childish nonsense.

eliteslasher

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 05:57 PM    Msg. 23 of 78       
Ok then bear with me on this Dennis, Bungie made the halo editing kit correct? I want to be ABSOLUTELY clear on this and have your confirmation before I continue my reasoning.

d4rfnader

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 06:01 PM    Msg. 24 of 78       
I think it was actually gearbox and microsoft that made the editing kit, and eternal lightning is not breaking a code it's just renaming tags lol.
Edited by d4rfnader on Dec 2, 2010 at 06:02 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 06:01 PM    Msg. 25 of 78       
BuNgie made the original, and Gearbox tailored it for users.

eliteslasher

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 06:04 PM    Msg. 26 of 78       

I think it was actually gearbox and microsoft that made the editing kit, and eternal lightning is not breaking a code it's just renaming tags lol.
Edited by d4rfnader on Dec 2, 2010 at 06:02 PM

Ok but since those two corporations had permission whether it was bungie or not does not the editing kit have a protector on it?

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 06:05 PM    Msg. 27 of 78       
The HEK is the sole property of Bungie.

eliteslasher

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 06:09 PM    Msg. 28 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
The HEK is the sole property of Bungie.

Then whether you change the code, change a name or whatever you may be doing, you are subverting a function of the code that was implemented by the corporation

Dennis

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 06:30 PM    Msg. 29 of 78       
Ok but since those two corporations had permission whether it was bungie or not does not the editing kit have a protector on it?
I am not what sure you mean by "protector on it". However; The HEK was released by Gearbox but they were under contract to Microsoft/Bungie and as it says in the HEK EULA:

Quote:
COPYRIGHT. All title and copyrights in and to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and “applets” incorporated into the SOFTWARE PRODUCT), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT are owned by Microsoft or its suppliers. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international treaty provisions. Therefore, you must treat the SOFTWARE PRODUCT like any other copyrighted material.

Microsoft/Bungie hold the rights to ANY intellectual property to all things in the Halo franchise. Therefore you can not own or copyright ANYTHING you make for or from the Halo games.

So your argument as I think you going to say is that because the External Lightning program changes code in the game map it violate Microsoft's copyright. But you would be wrong because the EULA specifically grants you and anyone who licenses the software the unrestricted ability to make, change or modify maps. However it does not give you ownership of them. You can't own them, you can only possess them, because Microsoft owns the copyright to anything made for or from the Halo game. Therefore, modifying the Halo CE maps either with or without the HEK is permitted under the EULA and the External Lightning makes changes in the map not the game.

This is why I do not host utilities, or modified maps for the Halo PC game because the EULA does not grant the license to make those changes in that game. The Halo Custom Edition game does.

These are not your toys.

dood

programming will never end..

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 07:22 PM    Msg. 30 of 78       

Lol, all eternal lightning does is rename the tag from protected to something different, there's no true protection for a halo ce map =P

Ask gamma about how he protect his firefight-portent....its unrippable =p

d4rfnader

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 07:42 PM    Msg. 31 of 78       
Portent is set to read-only =P

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 08:13 PM    Msg. 32 of 78       
Rightclick-properties-uncheck box that says read only?
=p

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 08:20 PM    Msg. 33 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: dood

Ask gamma about how he protect his firefight-portent....its unrippable =p

No you can still rip it; it just takes longer

Azrooh

Bleh.

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 08:34 PM    Msg. 34 of 78       
I like how this community gets so up in arms when the thing that killed it off gets threatened...
Closed-source elitism is all about 'Haha, I have these awesome tags, look at this video! You can't have them!'
If an easy to use deprotector gets released, what harm can it do? Have your tags spread throughout the community, for the community's use? Is that so bad? If they want the tags of authors long disappeared, how is that so bad?

In a game called Mount and Blade, there is a community-run project called the Open Source Project. It's a massive compilation of high quality game-assets that people have made (for their mod or otherwise) that they've released to the community for anybody to use and edit without need of permission. I havn't seen anything like that in this community.

dood

programming will never end..

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 09:08 PM    Msg. 35 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: Azrooh
I like how this community gets so up in arms when the thing that killed it off gets threatened...
Closed-source elitism is all about 'Haha, I have these awesome tags, look at this video! You can't have them!'
If an easy to use deprotector gets released, what harm can it do? Have your tags spread throughout the community, for the community's use? Is that so bad? If they want the tags of authors long disappeared, how is that so bad?

In a game called Mount and Blade, there is a community-run project called the Open Source Project. It's a massive compilation of high quality game-assets that people have made (for their mod or otherwise) that they've released to the community for anybody to use and edit without need of permission. I havn't seen anything like that in this community.

well...some poeple do not want their so call..AWESOME... tag to be release as they fear new poeple who join will not do any thing.
Edited by dood on Dec 2, 2010 at 09:15 PM

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat April 4, 2020 7:55 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website