A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Even more random questions

Author Topic: Even more random questions (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

GameCreat0r

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written..."

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 01:02 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
I have a few more questions that are more about the 'how' and less aubout the 'posseble', so I gave them a whole new topic. (I'm the only one opening topics here in weeks anyway.)

I want to start building my own map but it seems that the official .ass exporter doesn't work on Max 12. (omg 12? yes I belive it's 12!) It was made for 6,7 and 8. So waht do I do?

Next question:
Is there anyway to covert a pc map to an xbox map? Or make an xbox map? It would be really fun if I ould play my maps on the xbox whit my friends aswell (they don't have halo 2 pc). Also it would be awsome if we could convert uplift and district to the xbox.

Can I make objects in my map that work the same as the werd things in the middle of the map midship? Meaning those 3 beam transmitters of whitch you can smash the plates on them and ofcourse that platform itself. (And can it be made looking differend? meaning not just a coppy of the one on midship.)

Thanks

Twinreaper

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 05:30 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
I'll start things off, as I seem to be the resident expert on most things Halo 2.

Q: I want to start building my own map but it seems that the official .ass exporter doesn't work on Max 12. (omg 12? yes I belive it's 12!) It was made for 6,7 and 8. So waht do I do?

A: There is nothing you can do but buy or get a hold of a previous 7 or 8 version of max.

Q: Is there anyway to covert a pc map to an xbox map? Or make an xbox map? It would be really fun if I ould play my maps on the xbox whit my friends aswell (they don't have halo 2 pc). Also it would be awsome if we could convert uplift and district to the xbox.

A: If you meant for converting Halo 2 Vista to Halo 2 Xbox, then no. It is possible to take Halo CE maps and convert them for use on xbox. This requires a great amount of skill and a lot of scenario stripping and rebuilding. As well as very in-depth knowledge about Hex editing.

Q: Can I make objects in my map that work the same as the werd things in the middle of the map midship? Meaning those 3 beam transmitters of whitch you can smash the plates on them and ofcourse that platform itself. (And can it be made looking differend? meaning not just a coppy of the one on midship.)

A: Yes you can create objects similar to those. They are "static" (meaning non-moving) objects, with lift effect attachments. While you can create those, and apply a simple [coll], meaning collision for projectiles, it is not yet possible to give it phmo, a physical object collision. Eventually, I may write some tutorials for creating such objects. But for now, it would be best to request a certain tag item, and wait for someone more experienced to create it for you. Perhaps start a tag request thread?

For anything else, I really do suggest you check us out over monstrmoose.com.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 10:29 AM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Well how about bluestreak?

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 09:18 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Bluestreak has many uses such as the .JMS exporter, but overall when it came to BSPs I encountered more errors and other problems while using it as opposed to using the proper .ASS exporter (through 3DS Max version 8).

GameCreat0r

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 10:01 AM    Msg. 5 of 7       
maybe I can make my bsp in 3DS max 12 and then load that in 3DS max 8 to export it from there. And yes that does required 3DS max 8 trough, but if that's the way.

Twinreaper

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 02:02 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Newer files, even exported ones from 3dsmax 12, will not be compatable with earlier versions of 3dsmax. It's either start from scratch or find a 3rd party plugin for newer version support.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Dec 10, 2010 07:20 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
Newer files, even exported ones from 3dsmax 12, will not be compatable with earlier versions of 3dsmax. It's either start from scratch or find a 3rd party plugin for newer version support.

Really? So even if I export my bsp as a .obj I won't be able to import it in the older version of 3ds max? I'll try it anyway, but whit a test object first. Oh wait you mean the bitmaps and that stuff wouldn't be exported if I used anything else then .max. And ofcourse that can't be read by earlyer versions. mmm creating in 3ds max 8 seem to be the only way then. To bad, 12 is better (ofcourse).

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu February 20, 2020 10:36 AM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website