A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Reach: Custom Edition

Page 7 of 38 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · 10 · ... · 38 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Halo Reach: Custom Edition (1310 messages, Page 7 of 38)
Moderators: Dennis

goldensnake22

sexy singers and serial daters eat popcorn

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 12:45 AM    Msg. 211 of 1310       
(8 days later) wow this went dead. After reading for about 30 mins of all the commets i must say I like the idea of this project. I dont know anything about scripting so i cant help D: If i could understand scripting i would love to help. Honestly i really hope this works though it probley wont work as planned if the multiplayer had like skills or whatever u want to call them that would be cool. Do you think you could add sprint or jetpack? if so that would be pretty sick. i'm looking forward to this project and if it does work, see moseguy eat his shoe.

PS. sorry if i spelled ur name wrong my bad.

dood

programming will never end..

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 02:31 AM    Msg. 212 of 1310       
no this project is going to be ended up dead or the tag wont be release at all so nobody has to eat anything but pie :o

Petera275

Some things just don't work...

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 08:36 AM    Msg. 213 of 1310       
This is fully possible. Through Xbox LIVE and Xfire, I have recieved much advice.

I could use open sauce and mod the engine, use an entirely different one (Unity, suggested earlier in the thread) or create a new one (not going to happen).

Thing is, I've seen videos of people with expanding reticules, Fp legs, Loadouts, New Weapons, Very professionally made custom campaigns, firefights, you name it. Everything needed is out there somewhere, just a little tweaking is necessary. I made this because I saw people out there that had made lots of good stuff and collectively, if it was used, or replicated, a very good Reach imitation could be made. Point? True, little has been released. Some stubborn jerks I contacted said they never would release it (maybe it's fake)?

I really don't know. This project is still in the making, and I have recently acquired lots of new resources. I will need more help with 3d modelling though, as my 3ds trial is about to expire, leaving me with just gmax :-(

Armour abilities should be relatively simple, and I found a good concept where a random skull was spawned as a 3rd weapon, which when activated with the 'fire' button, spawned active camo, a bubble shield, invincibility etc. This and the fact that somebody has already created and put into CE an armour lock concept makes armour abilities fully possible.

Weapons and vehicles should be easy, just a little re-skinning is necessary. Boosting vehicles like in Halo 2 onwards is also possible.

AI may be quite difficult, but I'm thinking of just copying some CMT/Standard Marine AI or making a basic follow/shoot/say a catchphrase script.

Music is also available, courtesy of this website. Basically, as I said at the very beginning of this thread, this is my dream. It's possible with a completely unedited engine, it may be hard, it may very well fail. But at least I thought of it first... BWAHAHAHAA

Edit here:

Also, while I am not well acquainted and they do not work in the game division, I do have contact with somebody working for microsoft. Will that help?

[My development website: http://reachcustomedition.webs.com/]
Edited by Petera275 on Dec 30, 2010 at 08:41 AM

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 09:50 AM    Msg. 214 of 1310       
despite all of these "features" you've seen implemented into ce, the core mechanics of halo remain. there are some things that halo 1 just cannot do. the weapons will never act like they do in reach, due to the way the spread system works.

reach's engine is superior to halo 1's in the sense that it's capable of doing much more, and porting the gameplay would result in a flawed, awkward experience

could you imagine having to lead your dmr shots on 200 ping? how annoying it would be trying to land all five shots?

it would be a completely different experience.

Petera275

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 10:25 AM    Msg. 215 of 1310       
For these reasons, I will not be porting gameplay, just imitating it with small, short campaign levels, and multiplayer with armour abilities (and possibly loadouts). No major improvements will be done. Sounds, 3d models and projectiles will be replaced, but they will be at a level of quality that CE can be capable of with 16 players playing without lag.

Anyways, instead of a falcon, how does this modded pelican concept look?

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 11:15 AM    Msg. 216 of 1310       
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloIsAHorribleGane
However, that does not preclude it being an enjoyable one. Something you seem to overlook in your analysis.

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 12:06 PM    Msg. 217 of 1310       
I still think we should go for a Reach-ish thing. And call it custom.
Upgrade the Halo 1 models, textures, bsps, animations, sounds. Add some new stuff. Nothing that needs a lot of scripting experience for you guys.
Texmod is a great example of how good something can look just by customizing it.

And I just realized that headhunting mode is possible in CE multiplayer.

Petera275

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 12:38 PM    Msg. 218 of 1310       
Thanks for all your support. I'm going with Slappy on this one. Yes, it will be hard. I am a nerd though. I'm keeping to CE. No major improvements, just necessary ones to make this work. That means there won't be high poly models or a dozen bipeds etc. I will try and get first person legs though. ASP Grunts, I know this has good chances of success for someone with sufficient knowledge. In my ignorance, this may be a problem. Therefore, this project will take a while. I'm afraid that I am limiting this project to just over a year at the moment, then will resume a while later, as I have important exams soon. Also, I am well aware of glitches, the difficulties with textures and lightmaps and animations. And biped rigging. I have found some pretty good tutorials though. Anyways, this, as mentioned is possible. Therefore I will continue with it up to the point that I smash my computer monitor in frustration because the cutscenes turn out to be as jerky/glitchy as Lumoira's. As I said, this is why I came to the forums. Advice, knowledge, support and coworkers. Anyway, making videogames has always fascinated me. I used to program sprite games, then went on to 3D with Unreal editor (but I admit to not getting far due to lack of time), then I mucked around with H2V tags for a bit, then went here. I originally got interested in Halo CE map making because of Halo 3. I was thinking of recreating the last level with 343 Guilty Spark as it would be good fun and also all the resources were available somewhere or other. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. I just thought, maybe, what with being exceptional in I.T in my year (though that could be because the rest were rather...bad, even though I did achieve high levels), I thought I would give this a go. So, there's my little story.

*UPDATE* New pictures available: Nothing you haven't seen, just some stuff I'm going to extract, tweak (re-texture etc.) and use: http://reachcustomedition.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=10571764

P.S It's good to see the thread alive again thanks guys.
Edited by Petera275 on Dec 30, 2010 at 04:24 PM

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Dec 31, 2010 07:25 AM    Msg. 219 of 1310       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloIsAHorribleGane
However, that does not preclude it being an enjoyable one. Something you seem to overlook in your analysis.

perhaps, though it seems that these people just want to port the Reach experience to the PC. the halo 2 maps (new mombasa, zanzibar, etc), fun as they were at the time, were nothing like the original game.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 31, 2010 07:45 AM    Msg. 220 of 1310       
Quote: --- Original message by: Petera275
Anyways, instead of a falcon, how does this modded pelican concept look?

Actually that would be pretty badass to use in a sp mission.

Petera275

Posted: Dec 31, 2010 01:22 PM    Msg. 221 of 1310       
I was originally thinking of a h3 pelican with just one turret in the back, or something similar to a Star Wars Republic Gunship.

BUT THIS LOOKS AWESOME.

Anyways, I probably won't recreate a falcon, so this (the previous picture) is the replacement. There will probably be 2 grenade/missile/rocket/gauss turrets, then a chaingun at the back. Heavy, then rapid. It's tactical.

You can't say something like this wouldn't be pretty sweet though:

Length 17.4 meters long

Width 17 meter wingspan

Height/depth variable

Maximum altitude Works in space, but as a dropship generally operates in low altitude conditions

Armament
2 mass-driver missile launchers (atop the craft)
4 light air-to-air missiles hung below each wing (8 in all)
4 composite beam pinpoint laser turrets
3 Anti-personnel turrets

Escape craft Cockpit pod ejects from main body of Gunship (nicknamed bag-out capsule)

Crew 4 (2 gunners,1 pilot,1 co-pilot)

Minimum crew 2

Passengers 30

Cargo capacity variable

Consumables none

Edited by Petera275 on Dec 31, 2010 at 01:26 PM

goldensnake22

Posted: Dec 31, 2010 07:43 PM    Msg. 222 of 1310       
yeah good thing i commeted seems like it got like 10 more commets after that lol. the new pics look great. hopefully you could release a demo in the next few months just like 1 small map or somthing i dont know.

Petera275

Posted: Jan 1, 2011 12:34 PM    Msg. 223 of 1310       
I'll try. P.S if I don't post after this I have either literally fell off a cliff or died in immense pain. Sooooo. Continuing.....

flyingpenguin117

You must Never, EVER leave a SINGLE BOB ALIVE!!!

Posted: Jan 1, 2011 11:50 PM    Msg. 224 of 1310       
I think a good gunship will be difficult to do. You can only have one gun per vehicle. I thought there was a way around this, using the objects_attach command, however, I've heard it doesn't sync. One theory suggested scripting individual seats to have specific weapons, but animations would be hard. If you have an idea, I'd like to hear it.

1 10

I can't Mod, Suck's for me

Posted: Jan 2, 2011 05:45 PM    Msg. 225 of 1310       
good luck on this . If this does gets finished, I might start playing halo again.

goldensnake22

Posted: Jan 8, 2011 10:08 PM    Msg. 226 of 1310       
why would you stop? halo is awesome :p

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 10:41 PM    Msg. 227 of 1310       
I think that's a great idea, but so you mean an extreme Reach mod for Halo Custom EDition. SO like that halo ce powerhouse map: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5470
except way bigger and better? as in, you want to remake the reach campaign, firefight, and multiplayer maps!!!

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 10:48 PM    Msg. 228 of 1310       
Again, I'll propose that you guys can simply change up the stock bsps, weapons, character, and vehicles in a way that is inspired by reach. If you like reach, don't try and recreate it in CE entirely... make a tagset using reach concepts.

Petera275

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 11:51 AM    Msg. 229 of 1310       
I survived. Ftw I just went skiing on red/black runs. lololol

flyingpenguin117

You must Never, EVER leave a SINGLE BOB ALIVE!!!

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 05:42 PM    Msg. 230 of 1310       
Off topic... Red? Is that WORSE than triple black?

On topic... You should consider making this like CMT v2, which, in my eyes, is a Halo 3 mod. I think it would be pretty cool.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 07:29 PM    Msg. 231 of 1310       
Quote: --- Original message by: flyingpenguin117

On topic... You should consider making this like CMT v2, which, in my eyes, is a Halo 3 mod. I think it would be pretty cool.
It was an h3-inspired mod imo too. But CMT probably has something different to say about it.
It's easy to do this, guys... just some reach-inspired tags, models, and textures. Pick one, and remember to keep it simple+ manageable.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 08:37 PM    Msg. 232 of 1310       
Just took a look at some of the epic fail going on with this project, and I must say I didn't think it would ever be possible to make Emile look like a wussy. Very bad biped there my friend. Not even a re-texture could help that. If that's the best biped wise that is going into this project, then you might as well not even bother with anything else. It almost looks like a Lego character that wants to be in Halo. I admire your tenacity for going forward with this, but as someone else suggested, you would be better off going in a new direction.

To give you one, how about going back to the beginning of when we first met the covenant? I don't think I have ever seen anything related to Harvest inspired game play. And in accordance with the time line, the graphics end of CE would best fit something of that time period.

Petera275

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 03:29 PM    Msg. 233 of 1310       
I have thought about a Harvest campaign, and might try it. But not before this. Also, I believe the Emile you are referring to is the crappy one with a black visor? It was updated. If you refer to the updated version, you are a moron, as it has near exact 3D model copying, maybe identical. Texturing will make it just like the real thing. Did you look at the Reach CE website or what? All I can say is, epic fail on your part with mislead insults.

goldensnake22

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 05:47 PM    Msg. 234 of 1310       
sounding good... It's funny how many trolls there is on this topic if they think it's dumb and wont happen then leave the topic alone as he is working on this and it hasn't failed yet now has it? it's been about 1 month now and probley will be a few more before we can get a demo or map.

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 06:54 PM    Msg. 235 of 1310       
Quote: --- Original message by: flyingpenguin117

spv2 is nothing like halo 3. especially in the sense that it was actually interesting to play

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 07:48 PM    Msg. 236 of 1310       
Good thing he didn't say SPV2 = HALO 3, then. IT's not a halo 3 mode, but of course aspects are inspired from the release of Halo 2/3.
People should funnel their desire for reach content into a reach-styled (but not at all replicated) tagset.

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 11:55 PM    Msg. 237 of 1310       
I think this won't work out very well if you are just working alone. If you get a whole team, then that makes this much more workable.

Petera275

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 03:35 AM    Msg. 238 of 1310       
My thoughts exactly. I have a small team of volunteers.

beazt

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 04:12 AM    Msg. 239 of 1310       
You will not get a big group of people to help you. Your best chance is to start small by making one map with team you have. And when you will have somthing to show to comunity, more people will be ready to help you.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 09:15 AM    Msg. 240 of 1310       
i see you have new pictures on your site...they're all from powerhouse :S

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 09:18 AM    Msg. 241 of 1310       
Oh God, just kill me now...
End this misery that has been bestowed upon us...

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 10:33 AM    Msg. 242 of 1310       
Why don't we email Bungie to send us some models, tags, textures and maybe we could end in a happily ever after :)
Edited by PRPatxi on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:34 AM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 10:38 AM    Msg. 243 of 1310       
We should. They could give us all their weapon, vehicle, biped, scenery, and bsp models, unwrapped, and rigged + animated. I would jizz.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 10:54 AM    Msg. 244 of 1310       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
We should. They could give us all their weapon, vehicle, biped, scenery, and bsp models, unwrapped, and rigged + animated. I would jizz.

Maybe if a lot of us unite and ask the same thing, they would take interest in the development of CE and give us some stuff and you will jizz :P

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 11:11 AM    Msg. 245 of 1310       
Someone consider my idea, dammit.

Page 7 of 38 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · 10 · ... · 38 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu May 28, 2020 7:48 AM 1,187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website