A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »Playing shared.map on Halo 2 Vista??

Author Topic: Playing shared.map on Halo 2 Vista?? (20 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Skyancez3o4

I miss CE

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 06:57 PM    Msg. 1 of 20       
I heard it could be done on xbox but can it be done on Halo 2 Vista?

Twinreaper

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 11:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 20       
Even if we could, why would you want to? All it is, is a simple box, with every biped, weap and vehic spawned in it. Nothing special at all.

Skyancez3o4

I miss CE

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 12:20 AM    Msg. 3 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
Even if we could, why would you want to? All it is, is a simple box, with every biped, weap and vehic spawned in it. Nothing special at all.

Haha lol, let's just say... machinima/video stuff :)

Soo, I'm assuming that this is a no.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 08:49 AM    Msg. 4 of 20       
Can't play on it, every time I load the map, it crashes the game.

I even looked at the map in Gravemind, and even I'm stumped on why it crashes.

Skyancez3o4

I miss CE

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 01:21 PM    Msg. 5 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Shock120
Can't play on it, every time I load the map, it crashes the game.

I even looked at the map in Gravemind, and even I'm stumped on why it crashes.

Aww, well thnx for telling me though. :(

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 01:31 PM    Msg. 6 of 20       
The map probably doesn't have spawn points or valid multiplayer information.

Twinreaper

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 10:20 PM    Msg. 7 of 20       
There are 2 spawn points by default in the xbox one. I assume, the vista one would be the same. Either way it is a lame box map made to hold the most common single player items. The map is a resource map, which is used to offset the loading of these items from each sp map itself, and to cut down on map file size. But I am sure you all already knew that. Just sayin...

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Dec 28, 2010 09:00 AM    Msg. 8 of 20       
I think it's to do with TnPCacheEngine.exe, my guess anyway.

Skyancez3o4

I miss CE

Posted: Jan 2, 2011 03:24 AM    Msg. 9 of 20       
There are 2 spawn points by default in the xbox one. I assume, the vista one would be the same. Either way it is a lame box map made to hold the most common single player items. The map is a resource map, which is used to offset the loading of these items from each sp map itself, and to cut down on map file size. But I am sure you all already knew that. Just sayin...

So if the shared map is to contain everything in Single Player, what if we added a couple custom weapons/vehicles into it, try to spawn them into a Single Player map and that brings us one step closer to Custom Campaign for H2V? My Guess.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jan 2, 2011 05:42 PM    Msg. 10 of 20       
Unfortunately we have no way to compile a resource map, nor inject new raw data into an existing map. Besides, the resource maps are not what is keeping us from having co-op custom campaign. The very single thing that limits us is in the h2tool.exe. The toolset has an imposed map size limit, as well as flagging any map with certain custom content. Get us a better compiling tool, and we will give you better maps!

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 12:24 PM    Msg. 11 of 20       
Damn Micro$oft. If Halo 2 had an HEK like Halo CE does, I would have started making maps for this game, instead of CE, long ago...

Skyancez3o4

I miss CE

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 01:41 PM    Msg. 12 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
Damn Micro$oft. If Halo 2 had an HEK like Halo CE does, I would have started making maps for this game, instead of CE, long ago...

Lol I agree. So this sums it up for shared map? A restricted map that is not accessible in game or with tools. K! something new learned today :)

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 09:10 AM    Msg. 13 of 20       
Unfortunately we have no way to compile a resource map, nor inject new raw data into an existing map. Besides, the resource maps are not what is keeping us from having co-op custom campaign. The very single thing that limits us is in the h2tool.exe. The toolset has an imposed map size limit, as well as flagging any map with certain custom content. Get us a better compiling tool, and we will give you better maps!
Damn, this guy explained it better than I could.
he's right.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 05:46 PM    Msg. 14 of 20       
Thanks, I try. You had quite the hand in helping me along in my old xbox modding days for H2 Shock, so don't be too "Shocked" that our great minds think alike. Imagine what you and me could do together if I had more time for modding! Let's just hope we have a new Halo title to play with by years end. Really hoping to hear about a H3PC port during the CES, PAX, EAG or E3!

Although I did have a thought about this last night. IF we could find the exact hex address for the map type flag used in the raw scenario, we should in theory be able to change that hex value to a new one. From what I have researched, there is no dependency inside the scenario other than the map type flag that would prevent the game from referencing the new shared map. The only issue that remains is the data that gets removed from the compiled map. I did a test map about a month ago, in which I added in the standard sp fields you find in any campaign map. Once the map was compiled, the data I added was deleted from the scenario file, or the references to the tags was broken. 2 things are happening.

1- The compiling tool recognizes and deletes flagged material that isn't allowed.

2- The tool doesn't see all custom content, but see's custom tag path's, and breaks those
paths to nullify the custom content.

But as stated before, unless we can achieve a completely unlocked tool, certain things will never happen. And unfortunatly, running the tool and compiler assets thru a .net reflector yields nothing but errors. We need to figure out which app suite and version was used to compile the h2tool.exe file. It was definatly not a VS or standard C# app I can tell you that.

Codebrain

/meme

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 01:19 AM    Msg. 15 of 20       
The reason why we were given such a locked down HEK was because there was not enough space on the disc for the entire H2V HEK AS WELL AS Halo 2 Vista.

Just Halo 2 Vista's map files are worth 3.85 GB. (Normally the entire Halo 2 Vista folder is 6.79 GB!!!)
The Halo 2 Vista HEK is 0.99 GB.

Put both together and you get 4.79 GB. The CD that Halo 2 Vista came on is a 4.7 GB CD (As well as many other PC games)

Thats why we were given such a locked down HEK. All the stuff would not possibly fit on the disk.
Edited by Codebrain on Jan 10, 2011 at 01:20 AM

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 05:48 AM    Msg. 16 of 20       
Thats a good guess. But Kornman's guess is just that and should not be posted as fact. The original HEK came separately and the H2EK could have also. There are of course different sizes of DVDs and the game could have shipped with a second DVD.

Also, genius of them to name the editing kit and the game C.E. huh?

As in Combat Evolved and Custom Edition.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 04:48 PM    Msg. 17 of 20       
Not enough space on the disk? That isn't even remotely close to being true. There is a much bigger reason that the HEK was left lockdown. If space was the issue, they would have simply used a second disk, as many of the Xbox 360 and some PC games now use. ODST is a good example of this. Kornman is nowhere near correct and I still to this day cannot understand why he is reguarded as such an "expert" on these things. The most logical reason for a locked down HEK, all lies within the team that developed it, as well as Microsoft's own initiatives.

Hired Gun and PI didn't just magically disband for no reason right before H2V hit store shelves, they were forced out by Microsoft, that in turn hurt the company and it's assets. Their development process and time-line for getting the work done, far exceeded Microsoft's, and the contract they had with the developers for this port. Microsoft simply got tired of waiting for the product, and demanded to release what they had to publishing. At that point, the only work they hadn't completed was the map editor. This is why we don't have a full range of resources and just the basic creation tags that are available. The developers were pissed that they were being rushed, and I am sure Microsoft was more than unaccommodating. SO things were left as is, with no hope of ever getting any touch-ups or patches etc...

So in the end, the best logical reason for sub-par creation tools is a lack of cooperation and patience on both ends of the games respective parties. Not some half baked theory that space was an issue. Space seems to be the issue with the heads of a lot of theorists on the internet. Plenty of space in there, nothing to fill it with. That's just my 2 cents!
Edited by Twinreaper on Jan 10, 2011 at 05:05 PM

Codebrain

/meme

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 05:42 PM    Msg. 18 of 20       
The argument, if there ever was one, is now over.
Edited by Codebrain on Jan 10, 2011 at 07:47 PM

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 06:55 PM    Msg. 19 of 20       
Actually, working for MS Nitro definitely signed a strict Non Disclosure Agreement; meaning he was not entitled to tell you the real reason.

You seriously believe that Microsoft put time and money into a project without first considering the space limitations of the install medium? Please. MS has been around since before the 80's, yet they have no comprehension of the limits that can be imposed on a DVD. Riiiiiiiight.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Sep 6, 2013 at 02:01 AM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 09:21 AM    Msg. 20 of 20       
M$ makes me laugh. That's why I own a Mac.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 2:51 AM 140 ms.
A Halo Maps Website