A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »I'm trying to figure a way to modify weapon "skins" in CE

Author Topic: I'm trying to figure a way to modify weapon "skins" in CE (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Mr K

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 07:40 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
If I'm reading right, it seems there isn't currently a way to modify the bitmaps of weapons :S. This is ridiculous sounding - when such a feat is accomplished in Halo PC - where modding was meant for CE, not PC in the first place.

I have a .dds file a friend of mine created for injection into the bitmap for a pistol. This modification reflects me and my colors/ slogan :D... I love the work he did - and I mostly play CE now-a-days. I'd like to have that pistol visible in my videos on CE as well.

Is it possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_PtvROiVs
Edited by Mr K on Dec 23, 2010 at 07:46 AM

Edit: I get exception errors trying to open bitm\weapons\pistol\fp\bitmaps\pistol. Still not possible to modify the maps pistol tags as bitmaps.map cannot be converted with tool.
Edited by Mr K on Dec 23, 2010 at 08:04 AM

I'm left to believe my only option is too complicated without someone explaining it to me xD. Converting map and recompiling bitmap.map with custom pistol skin :S
Edited by Mr K on Dec 23, 2010 at 08:19 AM

anonymous_2009

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 08:42 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
you have to convert the .dss to a .bitmap tag. EVERYTHING in Halo works from tags. Then you need the .scenario the map that you want to put the custom bitmap on.

Once you have then you can change the .bitmap for the pistol in the "weapons/magnum/magnum.weapon " (Might not be correct name). Once that is done you just recompile the map "tool build-cache-files levels/*insert here*".

Something along them lines, watch some tutorials and you learn more from trial and error :) I haven't done anything like this for years, so i'm a bit rusty.

Mr K

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 10:33 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Ah that makes more sense. I've been at this for hours though.. quite tired now. Could you possibly help me through this a little on xfire? I'm going to bed now - it's 10:27 A.M. here. xD

If you can add me I'll be on later... I'd be more than thankful and credit you in every thing I upload :D [vids, SS's of end of scrims with pistol skin visible]

Ehh.. xfire is: mrkisback

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 12:33 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
Unlike Halo PC, textures are not stored in bitmap.map, they are stored in each map organized by the scenario and tag structure. The pistol bitmap, once inserted into a CE map would only be visible when playing that single map (if that weapon tag is available in that map) once the map has been compiled by you.

So if you edited bloodgulch in CE, inserted your bitmap, then tried to join servers hosting bloodgulch, you will not be able to join because your map does not match theirs.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 02:40 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Also unlike Halo PC which is not designed to be "modded" Halo Custom Edition generates a checksum of the map and stores it in the map when it is compiled into a map file. The game then verifies that the actual checksum of the map file matches the the one stored in the map. They must be the same. If you inject changes the checksum is different and the game indicates it is corrupt. This checksum is unique to each map and that is how the game knows that two maps that might be named the same are different.

You do not use hacking tools to "mod" Halo Custom Edition you use the editing kit to make changes to the maps.

Programs

Halo Custom Edition Game - required
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=410

Halo Custom Edition V1.09 Patch update - required
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4987

Halo Custom Edition (CE) Editing Kit - optional
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=411

Halo Editing Kit Plus as of 12-17-06 - (HEK+) - optional
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2289

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 02:42 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Editing skins, another great tut by hguru
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3089
Edited by Maniac1000 on Dec 23, 2010 at 02:43 PM

Mr K

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 12:09 AM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Ah. I appreciate everyone elaborating for me.

Would it not be possible to create an application within HEK, that compiles the map in a slightly different way, except allowing editing of checksum before final compilation? Would depend on the function's generate procedure.. If not, what of changing the checksum function for a select specific map to the exact checksum of "bloodgulch" per say. (check some faking). Does the program encrypt this checksum?

The result being the ability to mask checksums of maps that are "skinned differently" without causing too many problems. xD

If I'm trying to reach an end with no chance of success, please state so blatantly :D
Edited by Mr K on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Edited by Mr K on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 12:26 AM    Msg. 8 of 9       
If you are looking to have a regular bloodgulch.map with edits in it, in ce.
For only texture mods you should take a look at the "Textmod" thread by sorrysoldout.
Is that what you are asking?

Mr K

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 02:12 AM    Msg. 9 of 9       
That's nearly perfect. Thanks. The app is ridiculously simple to use. The only thing missing is the ability to run parameters such as -use00, -console...

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website