A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Request]Alphabet scenery tags?

Author Topic: [Request]Alphabet scenery tags? (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

syeed0927

IMA FIREIN' MY LAZAR!!

Posted: Dec 28, 2010 10:40 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
are there any alphabet scenery tags out there?
if not is there an alternative way to put letters in the map im making?
pls help me.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 12:22 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
In max, under the create tab, click the Shapes button. Then, click the Text object type button. Create an instance and type the text you want. Then, right click, convert to editable mesh, and extrude it to a desired size. Scale it as you see fit. (I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do this, but with my limited modeling skills, this is how I'd do it)

Hit m to bring up the materials manager thing, and click the Standard button on the right, underneath the balls (insert pun here). Choose Multi/Sub-Object from the resulting list of materials, and choose "Discard old material" when prompted. Click the very first result, and next to the Standard button, there will be a text field. Type in the name for the shader, for example, letters. This'll be the name of the shader that'll be referenced in the .gbxmodel. If the shader exists in your tags folder, it will automatically be assigned. If no, a blank one will be created in the tags root folder upon tool's compilation.

Then, create a small sphere, radius 1, and name it frame scenery. Put it in the center of the text. Click the link button in the toolbar or wherever it is, and link to the sphere. Then, use the JMS exporter to export it to a JMS (different process for Gmax). Once exported to a JMS, put it in the data folder, and create a subdirectory for the alphabet letters. Create a models folder in that folder. (Ex: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\scenery\alphabet\letters\models) Put the JMS inside this folder.

Open up the command prompt, and type in:
cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition
Hit return. The prompt should now shift its directory. Then, type in tool model, followed by the directory of the models folder, noninclusive. Using the example from the previous paragraph, you would type:
tool model scenery\alphabet\letters
Tool will take a moment to compile, and when it's complete, you'll have a new .gbxmodel in your tags folder (the reciprocal of the data folder). For example, if you placed the JMS in data\scenery\alphabet\letters\models, your new gbxmodel will be placed in tags\scenery\alphabet\letters.

Open up Guerilla, and at the top, click File > New > Scenery. In the new .scenery file, under model, browse to your gbxmodel. Save. Now you're ready to use it for whatever purpose in your maps.

Or, you can stack crates in Sapien to spell out words. Crude and ineffective, but that's an alternative.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 12:26 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
Hit m to bring up the materials manager thing, and click the Standard button on the right, underneath the big hairy brown balls. Choose Multi/Sub-Object from the resulting list of materials, and choose "Discard old material" when prompted.

Pun inserted successfully!
Edited by jesse on Dec 29, 2010 at 12:29 AM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 01:52 AM    Msg. 4 of 9       
Im pretty sure the balls default color is Greyish

syeed0927

IMA FIREIN' MY LAZAR!!

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 11:59 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Thanks for the Quik response guys. im downloading 3dsmax rite now so once its finished ill try it out. also can i compile the senery file using Tool++? its just easier for me to use if not i can use CMD
Edited by syeed0927 on Dec 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 12:31 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Individual letters, as permutations? That would be handy.

syeed0927

IMA FIREIN' MY LAZAR!!

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 02:15 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
hey were do i rite click to convert to editable mesh?

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 02:18 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
On the model.

syeed0927

IMA FIREIN' MY LAZAR!!

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 03:43 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
im trying to use blue streak to export the JMS but it keeps telling me "-no "get" function for undefined" pls tell me what to do

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 18, 2019 6:14 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website