A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »3D Modeling Newbie In Need of Experienced Help!

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: 3D Modeling Newbie In Need of Experienced Help! (52 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Buwx

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 11:32 PM    Msg. 1 of 52       
(I'm not entirely sure if this belongs here, but here goes)

Hello everyone, I'm Buwx, and as most of you can probably tell, I'm new here to halomaps forums. From what I've read sofar, this website seems quite humble and full of great artistic talent, infact, I was recomended here by someone because of that!

Now, you may be wondering why I am here, why I'm posting this, and my reason is as stated above in the title of my thread. I am here because I require a great deal of help from some VERY talented people (as I said before, I've heard this site is the place I'm looking for)... That help, is with 3D modeling, I require someone (or a group of volunteers), that will be willing to provide a sigificant amount of 3D models from Halo Wars, Halo 3, and Halo: Reach.

You see, I am working on a Halo: Reach Machinima, one that I've been carefully formulating to parallel the Halo Canon in almost EVERY way. I intend to create a very compelling and interesting story that brings out the highlights of everything we know as Halo, as well as one that brings something fresh and new to the table. There are a number of elements from the Halo Universe that have been barely touched upon by the average Halo fan, most things being from the books, comics, and basically, things that were never seen in the GAMES.

My intention is to bring those isolated elements, broadcasted through an original plot, to the screen so Halo fans everywhere can enjoy them and (hopefully) compel them to indulge themselves further in the vast and amazing oceans of Halo Canon.

This, I understand, is a bold statement, especially for a console-based Machinima. I mean, the things I plan to do; Space Battles, Glassings, Dogfights, Massive-Scale Invasions, Slipspace-travel... That would all be impossible to accomplish without the help of computer software.

Now (if I still have any of your attentions at all, I understand I can ramble on and on at times), this brings me back to why I am here. I am a complete newbie to CGI animation and 3D modeling, and I require the aid of experienced artists. In order for my machinima to become a reality, I will need a fairly large amount of 3D models from Halo: Reach, Halo 3, and Halo Wars... And I'll require them in a format that can be used in 3Ds MAX 9.

I understand that there a a number of tags and files on Halomaps.org; however, most of the types of 3D models I need HAVE to be from Halo: Reach (mostly because I need models that parallel with the in-game models and design)...

Please, I am asking with upmost sincerity, will anyone be willing to participate in my massive project. Believe me when I say that all who provide models WILL be credited in the machinima, and will ALWAYS have a good recomendation from me. I am a man of my word.

Thank you,

Buwx

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:42 AM    Msg. 2 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Buwx
From what I've read sofar, this website seems quite humble and full of great artistic talent

ohhhhh man

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:46 AM    Msg. 3 of 52       
As the great trolls of the net would say when faced with such a comment as quoted above:

LURK MOAR.

But seriously, I hope you can find someone who is willing to help you in your endavour.

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:50 AM    Msg. 4 of 52       
I have to ask are you sure you're not confusing halomaps with polycount

Buwx

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 07:11 AM    Msg. 5 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloIsAHorribleGane

I don't believe so. o.o

And thank you UBE Chief, much appreciated. ^_^
Edited by Buwx on Feb 11, 2011 at 07:11 AM

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 08:47 AM    Msg. 6 of 52       
For starter modelers, I suggest using Google SketchUp for general modeling principles, then go get Gmax and play around with that (its a simple 3DS Max). Look for the oldest version of Gmax available, the first version publically released was pretty easy to use, I started off with it making models for the game Dark-Wind: War on Wheels (MMORPG run by my friend Sam).

After Gmax, you can run up to 3DS max. If you wish to get into something just as good, but uses less mouse, talk to Geared about using Wings 3D software, its free, easy to use, and he can show you a bit.

From that, then you can make models for every game, concept, invention, or anything else you want to make.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 11:41 AM    Msg. 7 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: KillerKip1
For starter modelers, I suggest using Google SketchUp for general modeling principles, then go get Gmax and play around with that (its a simple 3DS Max). Look for the oldest version of Gmax available, the first version publically released was pretty easy to use, I started off with it making models for the game Dark-Wind: War on Wheels (MMORPG run by my friend Sam).

After Gmax, you can run up to 3DS max. If you wish to get into something just as good, but uses less mouse, talk to Geared about using Wings 3D software, its free, easy to use, and he can show you a bit.

From that, then you can make models for every game, concept, invention, or anything else you want to make.

It seems you comment on my modelling, but you suggest to use Google Sketchup... so this means you know nothing about modelling.

Google Sketchup will not teach people anything, seeming as he wants to model for a game engine.

Forget everything in the above post, download gmax, and watch tutorials. That is all you need.

Noble

"Well if it isn't the big cheese!"

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 01:17 PM    Msg. 8 of 52       
I think he already has 3ds Max 2009.

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 02:10 PM    Msg. 9 of 52       
To the OP are you looking for custom created content or ripped content?

And could you give us a better idea of how this is going to work?

Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Google Sketchup will not teach people anything, seeming as he wants to model for a game engine.

I agree, SketchUp is much more about visualization and doesn't really touch on proper topology.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Feb 11, 2011 at 02:10 PM
Edited by YakZSmelk on Feb 11, 2011 at 02:11 PM

Geared

EPI Creator

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 02:39 PM    Msg. 10 of 52       
i shall say this again as i have many times b4, use wings3d dammit.... DO IT!!!! NAOOOWW!!!

Buwx

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 03:31 PM    Msg. 11 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: YakZSmelk

I'm looking for models that are as perfectly accurate to the games (Halo 3, Wars, Reach), as they possibly can be.

More or less, I'd prefer ripped content; however, if someone would be willing to supply me with high-quality custom created models, that'd be fine (so long as they truly match the vehicles and designs I need).

As for a better idea of what I'm exactly doing with the models...

I'm going to need the models because I'm going to be using them to create animations (i.e. Space Battles), and then I will be importing said animations into the recorded video (captured from Halo: Reach) using After Effects/ Adobe Premiere.

I intend to credit everyone who can either rip/create the 3D models I need.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 03:40 PM    Msg. 12 of 52       

You give a bad name to Polycount.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 10:12 PM    Msg. 13 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Buwx
Quote: --- Original message by: YakZSmelk

I'm looking for models that are as perfectly accurate to the games (Halo 3, Wars, Reach), as they possibly can be.

More or less, I'd prefer ripped content; however, if someone would be willing to supply me with high-quality custom created models, that'd be fine (so long as they truly match the vehicles and designs I need).

As for a better idea of what I'm exactly doing with the models...

I'm going to need the models because I'm going to be using them to create animations (i.e. Space Battles), and then I will be importing said animations into the recorded video (captured from Halo: Reach) using After Effects/ Adobe Premiere.

I intend to credit everyone who can either rip/create the 3D models I need.

http://martynleeball.blotspot.com

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 10:25 PM    Msg. 14 of 52       
fantastic, if you are looking for
# Vacations
# Dating
# Bedroom Furniture
# Fitness
# Medical Jewelry
# Oxygen Skin Care Products
# Furniture Sofa Store
# Wholesale Furniture
# Barbell Body Jewelry
# Find Furniture
# Furniture Beds

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 10:31 PM    Msg. 15 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo

You give a bad name to Polycount.

implying that I'm a member of polycount?

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 10:35 PM    Msg. 16 of 52       

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 11:59 PM    Msg. 17 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
Link fixws

http://martynleeball.blogspot.com/

Crap, thanks. Wish I could type lmao.

Buwx

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 11:01 AM    Msg. 18 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
http://martynleeball.blotspot.com

As great as those models are, they are outdated by Halo: Reach Models...

Do you know anyone who does Halo: Reach models and textures?

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 07:13 PM    Msg. 19 of 52       
Sketchup allows people to get the general idea of modeling, for anyone who has extensive or somewhat CLEAR knowledge on what you can do with SketchUp, it has more uses than 3Ds Max in game development then any other 3D software available.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 07:22 PM    Msg. 20 of 52       
Sketchup does not allow you to get a general idea... it will teach you bad things. Gmax is also free, what's the point in using crap like Sketchup when there is gmax...

Quote:
I will need a fairly large amount of 3D models from Halo: Reach, Halo 3, and Halo Wars... And I'll require them in a format that can be used in 3Ds MAX 9.

You said you needed H3 models :S
and i have the Halo:Reach Shotgun and Grenade Launcher modelled.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 07:23 PM    Msg. 21 of 52       
That's just wrong.
Skechup is for messing around, 3ds max is for serious game development.

Angel Natavi

When all else fails, hit it harder.

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 07:42 PM    Msg. 22 of 52       
Hey, count me in. This sounds pretty darn interesting actually.

And a word to the wise, Sketchup has more diverse features than 3ds Max, but Max has more powerful features, and a lot more of them. I perfer both of them for what they do as a specialty, however I like Max for hard core detail work.

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 07:59 PM    Msg. 23 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
That's just wrong.
Skechup is for messing around, 3ds max is for serious game development.

halomaps is packed full of serious game development

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 08:01 PM    Msg. 24 of 52       
But you still need our approval of your biped?
You are a contradiction in terms.

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 10:19 PM    Msg. 25 of 52       
guess I didn't realize filling people in on the progress of what I'm making means I needed their approval

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 10:35 PM    Msg. 26 of 52       
Which is why you disapprove of what other people update us on. Makes sense.

Angel Natavi

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 11:01 PM    Msg. 27 of 52       
I hate to be a wet blanket to an obviously irritating argument, but is this really the best place to carry this feud out? I mean, its kind of rude to the people who actually want to get stuff done.

Buwx

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 11:08 PM    Msg. 28 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Angel Natavi
Hey, count me in. This sounds pretty darn interesting actually.

Alright, awesome someone's interested. Lol. =D

Would you mind sending me a few samples via PM or email?

Angel Natavi

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 11:09 PM    Msg. 29 of 52       
Yeah, sure. Hold on, I'll get those to you now.

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 11:23 PM    Msg. 30 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Which is why you disapprove of what other people update us on. Makes sense.

I expect no less from anybody else when I post my stuff. once anything makes it onto these forums, it's completely open to the first amendment

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 09:18 AM    Msg. 31 of 52       

#1: Mass Driver Cannon (or what-have you) Featured in the last level of "Halo: Reach" untextured (i can get the ripped textures, but you'll have to get someone else to uvw them)

#2: Shortsword, Featured in the game "Halo: Wars"

#3: Sabre Fighter, Featured in the level "Long Night of Solace" in the game "Halo: Reach" (once again i have textures for this, proper ones, but someone else will have to uvw it)

#4: Falcon, Featured in the game "Halo: Reach" (i also have textures for this one, but they'll once again need someone else to uvw it).

Thats my collection of reach models... Mostly
Edited by Amazingcuziam on Feb 15, 2011 at 09:19 AM

Angel Natavi

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 09:49 AM    Msg. 32 of 52       
Holy crap dude. @_@ I'd ask where you got them, but uh... yeah. I can try. No garuntees however.

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:31 AM    Msg. 33 of 52       
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZBDYVRZI There
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZKNDG3N1 and there. (first is models, second is textures)

Angel Natavi

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:43 AM    Msg. 34 of 52       
Well, I can't download the second one.

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:49 AM    Msg. 35 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Angel Natavi
Well, I can't download the second one.
Try this one http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZKNDG3N1 (same link, but i got to it a different way and i "was" working just a minute ago)
Edited by Amazingcuziam on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 6:13 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website