A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] Architect

Author Topic: [WIP] Architect (14 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

032 Mendicant Bias

Magnum periculum est elit.

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 10:08 AM    Msg. 1 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles

since i fail at using 3ds max and get frustrated easily im doing classic sp-mp conversions starting with this map. architect.

going back to halo trial days when this was done i thought it was amazing, and i decided i wanted to perfect this best i can gameplay wise and aesthetically. i plan on doing revisions and just classic versions of the maps. although its hard for me to get accurate results and testing since i cant play online.... and no this isnt a result of piracy.... so please dont get into that. anyway ill need testers to anyone interested. okay, on to the map itself.

Architect is a asymetrical, slayer based map. but will support most gametypes including ctf. it takes place in b30 right before you come across the cartographer recomended max of 2-4 players because of its size im working on editing some shield doors from the classic halo tagset that not only look decent and fit into the halo world, but keep access off to otherwise gameplay hindrances. the map should be very familiar with anybody whos played the campaign. and in turn orient them faster with weapon placements and strategy. this is the first in a line of sp-mp maps im planning on doing in the future, but anyway... heres more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fDQ8PTJUc

Edited by waffles on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:42 AM
Edited by waffles on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:52 AM

seems very creative

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 10:24 AM    Msg. 2 of 14       
Looks nice. Might I suggest looking at a few of my own SP/MP conversions for some ideas?

b40-arena-v2
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5460

The_Library
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5475

I have more, but these two are the best ones I've made so far.

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 11:19 AM    Msg. 3 of 14       
Recommendation: Don't add more than one heavy weapon and make sure it is on something like 180+ seconds respawn. This is a small BSP section, which you probably want people to play and enjoy.
Edited by Sceny on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 11:36 AM    Msg. 4 of 14       
Why are there energy shields where the doors are supposed to be?

Gamma927

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 12:18 PM    Msg. 5 of 14       
It looks like it could fit >>

If you're saying that the doorway is too thin to house the door, position it so that it looks good from one side. Since no one should see the other side, it doesn't matter how poorly it fits on the other side.

Gamma927

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 12:29 PM    Msg. 6 of 14       
(object_set_scale [object] [scale] [duration])

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Gamma927

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 12:35 PM    Msg. 7 of 14       
Whyever not?

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 03:48 PM    Msg. 8 of 14       
Could you show a top down sketch of the map? Right now it looks like it's just pieces of Silent Cartographer ripped and meshed together.

UBE Chief

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 01:07 AM    Msg. 9 of 14       
My suggestion for a power weapon: Flamethrower. The Fuel Rod, Rocket Launcher and SPlaser are all too overpowered in such a small map. Make the flamer appear in a very open area, and with a very long respawn time to cut down on spamming (or excessive torching, w/e, lol).

Even better would just be to NOT have a power weapon, because, as far as I remember, that one room is too small to house a power weapon - unless you expand it to two floors (similar to what I did in b40-arena-v2), then you could place the Flamethrower in the hallway connecting the two floors.

IcePhoenix

-Minor modeler-

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 04:49 AM    Msg. 10 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles
right after you unlock that door with the elite guarding it.

Ahem, guarding. you mean that one that's obsessed with the computer and has his back to you?

Ubergoober

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 05:48 AM    Msg. 11 of 14       
I tried the map, it's fine, super dooper small, like 10 steps between flag positions but it would definitely make for an intense match. Im happy to b a tester if u need one.

UBE Chief

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 04:21 PM    Msg. 12 of 14       
Not to be nitpicky here, but I think having two floors can go a long way. One doorway you blocked off I hadn't even noticed until then, so that can be a very ninja way to get the drop on the other team.

As it stands right now, I think that yes, the map is good, but the main issues here are

A: Spawn placements - If some random person is going to do a 8 on 8 CTF match (not saying it will, but it might happen), then it might occur that red and blue spawn right next to each other - and that can be a MAJOR turn off.

B: Weapon placements - Now I know that you're trying for some variety here, but there's too much going on in too little of a space to have such a large array of weaponry here. Just have the AR, Pistol and Shotgun as the main (note that I said MAIN, you han have other weapons here too) sources of ammunition if you're going to keep this design.

C: Flag spots - It took me a good five minutes to scope out the flag spawns (I was in Slayer at the time), and they're not very well protected. Like I said before, two floors can go a LONG way.

Now with those in mind, I'll be happy to do some tinkering here and there to see what I can come up with. Mind you, if you want to keep the current design, go ahead.

EDIT:

I've just made a map that fixes the problems stated above - and there are three dedicated areas for different gametypes. CTF has the first two floors (where your map takes place, but on a slightly larger scale), Slayer, Oddball and KoTH have the second two floors after that, and Race takes place on the floor of the Cartographer.

If you want, I can share the map with (and only with) you. If you like it, keep it, and let me know - we'll then discuss whether I should release it or not to avoid competing against each other.
Edited by UBE Chief on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

UBE Chief

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 07:38 PM    Msg. 13 of 14       
Alright, I sent you the link to the map. I hope you glean lots of ideas from it!

UBE Chief

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 08:01 PM    Msg. 14 of 14       
No problem ;)

I think I already told you this in the PM, but the only gametype that has a loadout is CTF (as, for some odd reason, the other loadouts weren't saved into the map). But, it is much more open and killboxes prevent players from dropping down into other levels. Enjoy!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu February 27, 2020 3:50 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website