A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Packaging Error

Author Topic: Packaging Error (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Garanas

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 11:58 AM    Msg. 1 of 8       
Okay, so I've been having a really strange error lately, and this is what it is:

My map works fine in Sapien, everything looks great and shiny and then I want to test it in Halo 2, so: package it. And I did, it ran good it came to the bitmaps and then it crashed ;(, I found the problem which is my Water shader but I don't know what is wrong with it, it isn't missing anything and it is based on the Vindication watershader that you can download from Halomaps.org

Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT: This is my shader:

I know, the distance_attentuation shouldn't be there, and it normally isn't but that was just a test to see if it did anything (which it didn't)
Edited by Garanas on Mar 14, 2011 at 02:56 PM

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 05:29 PM    Msg. 2 of 8       

Garanas

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 02:58 AM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Skip everything below, I've found it. It was the Fresnel map, but why?
I'm using the default ones,and I even used the one that you gave me.

What does a fresnel map do? Something with reflections, I've readed somewhere.
(what is the right verb for readed in the way I just used it a line ago?)

I do have the water definitions, and I'm using my own colours with the resources (That won't matter I hope), and I've set the water shader name to water_pool, if it helps.

What type can you use under refraction maps?
(what type of bitmap)?

--

Okay, so a little bit more detailed:

adding bitmaps...92 55.96% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 24354 43520
adding bitmaps...93 54.07% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 23532 43520
adding bitmaps...94 53.26% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 23180 43520
adding bitmaps...95 53.82% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 23421 43520
adding bitmaps...96 55.49% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 24148 43520
adding bitmaps...97 57.69% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 25106 43520
adding bitmaps...98 83.31% scenarios\bitmaps\nameless\reflect_map 145585 174760

adding bitmaps...99 38400.15%

this is what happens in the packager, it crashes (I think) when it is trying to package the Fresnel bitmap, which is a default one (the one that you gave me).

without the water shader, it does want to package.

I don't understand a single thing of the files you send me, this is where you put up the water_pool.tif file, but I don't understand why it has to be there, and not just in the second one?

\data\scenarios\bitmaps\multi\halo\yourmap
\data\scenarios\bitmaps\yourmap

I'm sorry for all those questions =/
Edited by Garanas on Mar 15, 2011 at 03:15 AM

Edited by Garanas on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 07:27 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
When it comes to:

\data\scenarios\bitmaps\multi\halo\yourmap
\data\scenarios\bitmaps\yourmap

...its really up to you, some original H2V maps put their bitmaps here:
\data\scenarios\bitmaps\multi\halo\the-maps-name

...others went here:
\data\scenarios\bitmaps\multi\the-maps-name

...while this area:
\data\scenarios\bitmaps\
is more for more general bitmaps (not always related to just one specific map)

---------------

Regarding the bitmaps. The data version gets compiled and spit out as a tag (under tags instead of the data directory). After a bitmap has been compiled it may need to be opened in Guerilla. Inside of it you set up how/if it has an alpha channel. You can learn what a bitmap should be by studying others that are like it. The bitmaps (data+tags) I sent you (in the water tut) are already compiled.

So...I believe your issue is that you are trying to package a bitmap that is not compiled and setup with the proper settings.

If you are using the ones I supplied then I am not sure, but that is what it looks like.

--------------

Looking through the tutorial's files again I see that the only file you really should move is the shader. You do not have to but I suggest putting it in a folder (in the same area, named after your new map).
\tags\scenarios\shaders\multi\yourmap

Then to make a proper .shader_collection study these:
http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/Tags/scenarios/shaders/

Say we were using Narrows as an example. So the collection is called
na.shader_collections and inside of it we see: na scenarios\shaders\multi\narrows

Last, inside of 3DS Max (version 8) we would call the materials/shaders like this:
na high_rocky

So na high_rocky points to \tags\scenarios\shaders\multi\Narrows\high_rocky.shader

Garanas

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 01:09 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
So the bitmap position is up to yourself, good :p

Well, the Fresnel bitmap wasn't correct, or something I don't know. It did had a texture on it, and the settings seemed fine, but the water doesn't look different with or without the fresnel map, so no worries required :)

I'm going to check out those shader collections though :p, thanks for that ;)

Are you still actively working on Halo 2?

Kills_Alone

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 06:46 PM    Msg. 6 of 8       
Yes, our team is called H2MT. Will still release stuff for H2V.

We have many ported maps, custom maps, weapons and vehicles. I've taken a small brake lately but still have many maps in the works. Some of my fellow team mates are also working on even more maps.

We host our maps through the gaming community http://www.monstrmoose.com/ and the MM H2MT Custom Servers on Live.

Water is tricky at first, few get it 100% correct. Once you have good WORKING source to work with or study then you'll have an easier time. Source such as:
http://www.monstrmoose.com/killsalone/Custom_Data_+_Tags/

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 10:43 AM    Msg. 7 of 8       
your problem is that your bitmaps have the unused box checked, open up all of your referenced bitmaps in your shader, scroll down and make sure the unused box is not checked

Garanas

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 10:57 AM    Msg. 8 of 8       
That makes the packager crash O.o?! well, I've fixed the problem a while ago, but still thanks for answering ;), maybe someone else who comes here will have benefits from it.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu February 20, 2020 9:57 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website