A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Water

Author Topic: Water (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Garanas

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 02:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
Okay, so another thing with water:

I right now have really good looking water, I love it. But, when you shoot on it, you see no "splash" effect.
I've seen on
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22372-Kills-Alone-s-notes-for-Halo-2-Vista-Mapping

how to make that splash effect, only problem is is that my water isn't like: water shader, 2 cm down ground.
There is like 1 elite in between, meaning I can't do it like it says there.

Is there another way, without collisions of the characters, to make the splash effect?
In the meanwhile, I will try to make it myself too.

Another things is, is that I'm using Planar_Fog to replicate that the water becomes "deeper", now it said at the bottom side (look at the picture) that it can make sound when you are in the fog plane, with a sound environment. And when you enter / exit it.
But whatever I do, it just doesn't want to make a sound!

And those 2 values , Damping and Gain is always going back to 0 when I save it.

Twinreaper

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 07:07 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
Ok here goes. For your water effect, you need to setup a collision plane of water over top of your render only water. That is why there is no splash effect. Ideally, you want this water plane with coll to be at the bottom of shallow streams..and mid way on lakes.

As for the sound for water. Some instances of sounds in H2V require a media plane. This is the same type of setup you use for portals. You would make a box or shape to encompass the area you want in 3dsmax, and assign it a "+media" tag. I thinks. I havent worked much with those pesky "+" materials much so I cannot be 100% sure.

Garanas

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 03:01 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
a +media is fog, or weather effects. I need a +portal, I think.

So, I did. Media made my entire map go foggy, and +portal gave me a puzzle of portal sections, but now I understand ;)

The water though, if I add the collision only just above of the water, then you will just make you able to stand on the water right? Which isn't the thing I want, and when I place it halfway, the splash effect won't be at the right position, and can look strange when you walk around it.

Any other things that might help with the splash?

Twinreaper

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 09:58 AM    Msg. 4 of 9       
You misunderstand by collision. A BSP and all other items in a game have 2 different types of collsion.

1. Coll= Collision. This is the collision provided for items like projectiles impacts and grenades.
2. PHMO= Physical Collision. This is collision provided for weapons dropping, vehicles, bipeds etc.

You need to assign the secondary water plane, a "$" I believe, to make the game engine render certain geometry as only having coll. Using the % one, gives an object both coll and phmo.

To clarify, +media is not just for fog. If you got a puzzle looking thing from portals, then you didnt set up the portals correctly. The +portal feature is for dividing the map up, to cut down on load. The portals are used to render only map geometry that you can actually see when on a certain part of the map, rather than load the entire bsp at one time, which can cause huge lag on bigger maps.

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 11:24 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
is it possible to have two water planes using different shaders in one level?

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 07:14 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Troy,

Try going into your maps .scenario_structure_bsp and look at the Water Definitions section near the bottom. You should already have this section filled in, something like this:

Now (right at the top of Water Definitions) select Duplicate, then change the new water defs to the water shader you want.

Don't forget to set up the new water material (shader call) in Max as well.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Apr 14, 2011 at 09:29 PM

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 09:11 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
ooh nice thanks kills, thats going to help a lot with forge world stuff

Edit: it won't let me click duplicate
Edited by StatutoryTrOy on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 07:47 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
GUERILLA UNLOCKED + EXPERT MODE

In Guerilla go to Edit then Expert Mode.

Expert mode allows you to edit previously locked fields.

Make sure you are using this unlocked Guerilla: http://www.monstrmoose.com/MMrepository/Halo_Tools/2_Vista/H2EK_Unlocked/h2ek_unlocked.rar . This unlocked version of Guerilla allows you to view/edit previously locked tags and to create new ones.

StatutoryTrOy

Go Army Beat Navy!

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 10:54 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
should i use the done guerilla

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon May 25, 2020 3:53 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website