A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »[WiP] The Red Skulls: A free-roam custom campaign

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next
Author Topic: [WiP] The Red Skulls: A free-roam custom campaign (141 messages, Page 1 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, AI, cutscenes, ui_widgets, animation.

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 03:30 AM    Msg. 1 of 141       

Project Goal:
This is a custom SP campaign which is centered around a custom storyline (described at the bottom of this post); it is being constructed by my team, the Red Skull Engineering Corps. (team page: http://www.xfire.com/communities/rsec/). The Red Skulls focuses on making the gameplay more realistic, which includes upgrading the strength of Spartan 2s, upgrading elite shield strength, and the like. It is a free-roam campaign which means you can begin missions at any time; you can also purchase various items with points you earn through playing.

Overall Gameplay Description:
Your pause menu is the control panel for your entire experience in Red Skulls. You choose missions, purchase air support, travel to destinations, and configure various settings. All of these are outlined below.

- Missions: there are three mission categories from which to choose a mission... Research and Development, Tactical Assault, and Main Story. All missions award points and are important to complete the game, although only Main Story missions unlock new locations as you progress.

- Travel: as you progress in the main storyline, you will come across instances where you need to move your base of operations to a different location. Don't fret if you didn't complete all missions in the area you are currently in, as locations which you unlock are saved in your travel menu. By selecting an unlocked location, you summon immediate extraction to the desired area, and are able to resume the completion of any missions left untouched in that area.

- Air support, vehicles, and loadouts: support points are awarded to you for killing enemies and completing missions. Selecting the support menu from the RS control panel in your pause menu will allow you to spend these points on various air support types, weapon loadouts, and vehicles. After purchasing a support craft, it is yet to be decided whether or not to have it immediately deploy to the area or await your signal (via the flashlight, or possibly a button in the menu). Some of the air support types are listed in the next section.

- Customization: the customization menu allows for the setup of certain options and features. This includes the default automatic support used (orbital laser or orbital rocket strike, both listed in the next section), as well as the behavior of support which you purchase and summon. You also may choose whether or not to automatically travel to new locations when they are unlocked by beginning a certain mission, and other such small preferences.

Brief List and Description of Air Support:
This is a brief preview of some of the support types. Some of them have pictures, which I will add once my 5-day waiting period has expired, and when I do post them I'd like you to please note that they are from very early builds (for instance, one image contains heavy fog. This was an idea I had toyed with for a while but eventually abandoned.). I have not fully decided on these types, there may be more, and some of the ones included here may not end up in the final cut. Comment if you think of any support type you would enjoy seeing.

- Nimble light gunship - Steadily patrols the area, sprays bullets upon enemies with its forward mounted minigun.

- Slow-moving heavy gunship - Circles high above, raining death on your enemies in the form of high-speed missiles.

- Orbital bombardment laser (non-purchasable, automatically used) - Concentrated energy fired from orbiting Red Skull vessels. Huge blast radius, be sure to stay clear of the target when this laser is about to be fired.

- Orbital rocket strike (non-purchasable, automatically used) - your commander's flagship unleashes rockets on the planet below in a concentrated area.

The Story:
And now, ladies and gentlemen, here you are: the story which encompasses this entire virtual 3d bloodbath. Written entirely by yours truly, it takes place in an alternate timeline within Halo. As a disclaimer, you may notice a bit of a bias toward Spartan II's. The reason for this is simple - I love Spartan II's. Aren't they the greatest? I love them so much that I made a story where I get to have them as my own, in my own private army :D And now here I am, making a campaign based on the very same. Enjoy reading, and if you decide to skip the following wall of text for the time being, please be sure to read it at some point in the future before playing. Sense is simply non-existent if you attempt playing without reading this :)

Quote:
Spartan II supersoldiers are an idea which the Red Skulls (a privately-owned military organization) purchased from Dr. Halsey of the UNSC, before she was able to patent said idea. Money does have its benefits, as it turns out. The program was perfected by the Red Skull research and development division. Participating children had a much higher survival rate, but the genetic alteration procedures were more painful than ever before. As a result, the overseers of the project decided that the best candidates would be infants, as they would not likely remember this horrible ordeal later in life, and emotional scarring would be reduced. Mjolnir armor, bought by the Red Skulls at the same time as the Spartan II design, was bestowed upon a Spartan when the initiate turned 19. This was the age at which it was determined the genetic enhancements would have taken full effect. They trained with their suit for 2 more years before, at the age of 21, being hand-picked by an officer to join that officer's team, at the Spartan Graduation ceremony. As is apparent, they were not designed to be expendable. Spartan IIs are not informed of their genetic enhancements during their 21 years of training, however. It was thought at the program's initiation that better results would be achieved if Spartans believed that all they did was under their own, naturally-given power. It was the duty of every commanding officer to inform his Spartans of this. Because of this, Spartans are often confused when they meet their normal-sized squadmates for the first time, being towering hulks in comparison.

Stunned by the success of their new supersoldiers, the owners of the RS organization began to contemplate purchasing other patented training methods and armor designs from the UNSC scientists that created them. After careful examination, ODST ballistic armor was selected as the preferred combat apparel to equip Red Skull standard troopers. Spartan IIs, coupled with Red Skull soldiers wearing ODST armor (renamed LAAPs: Lightly-Armored Assault Personnel), formed such a devastating combination in combat that other military organizations began to attempt their own supersoldier programs, such as the Cyberdyne program of the Hollywood Knight organization. The UNSC, too, began work on another supersoldier project, directed by Dr. Halsey, dubbed the Spartan III project. This project favored lighter armor in favor of mobility and flexibility, and incorporated less genetic alterations to reach a 100% survival rate of participants. Paired with marines who had even less armor, the new project only saw mild success, and on many occasions Red Skull squads were dispatched to rescue UNSC soldiers and supersoldiers. Spartan IIs see Spartan IIIs the same way they see marines. In fact, most Spartan IIs prefer fighting alongside their LAAP companions rather than Spartan IIIs, if ever given the choice in joint operations with the UNSC. Spartan II Brigadier General Franklin Marcello had this to say on Spartan IIIs in the UNSC: "They take risks that they can't handle and put their squads in danger, because the name 'Spartan' gives them a feeling of invincibility, when in fact they are not worthy to be called such. They are nothing like us; they would like to think that they are our brethren, but they are not"

You are a new Spartan II, fresh out of training. Your squad is already deployed in a canyon, and they eagerly await your arrival. Your commanding officer has seen fit to put you in charge of this outpost, as no major conflict is expected to develop here, and you need the experience. After all, a bunch of untrained separatists can't possibly be a major threat... right?

Specific faction and unit descriptions:

The Red Skulls
This organization, although officially controlled by a board of directors, is ultimately driven by the will of one man. His face is well-known and he is seen on a daily basis by his staff and close coworkers, yet only a select few know his true name. Most people simply know him as "Boss." He rarely speaks publicly, yet he welcomes any and all guests into his offices, and one must only request a meeting on any given Thursday afternoon between 3 PM and 8 PM (which are his official public office hours) to see him face-to-face. Many are awestruck by this blatant disregard for security; yet no harm seems to ever befall this man. His organization exists for the sole purpose of offering an alternative to the UNSC for aspiring young cadets, and advertises a more luxurious lifestyle than the government can afford to give its soldiers. The RS organization earns its vast money by claiming bounties, mining ore from various planets and asteroids, and offering defense and security services to businesses for a monthly fee. The organization's most recent endeavors include an assault on any and all rebel encampments in an attempt to drive them out of the picture permanently. This would free them up to assist the colonies and UNSC in deflecting Covenant advancement. Some of the Red Skull vehicles and infantry types are listed below:

- LAAP (light-armor assault personnel): These are Red Skull standard infantry. Clad in ODST Ballistic Armor (the patent for which was purchased from the UNSC), they are generally recognized as the equivalent of Marines in every aspect, yet with superior armor.

- HAST (heavy-armor shock trooper; "Spartan 2"): These troopers are the pride and joy of the Red Skull organization. After the patent for their design and Mjolnir armor specifications were purchased, production began immediately. Alone, they are about 3 times as strong as an average human. Their Mjolnir cybernetic armor multiplies this strength even further. Their skeletons, augmented with various elements and compounds, are nearly as strong as diamond. Their response time is unable to be charted, with no known equivalent in existence, including machinery; once again, this is enhanced by their cybernetic armor which has an end result in a superhuman whose combat abilities are unable to be matched by any known life form. There are only two deaths of Spartan 2s in the Red Skull archives; one occurred when Spartan 2 operative Marston-141 stayed behind to face down an onslaught of over 500 rebel personnel in an attempt to allow his squad to escape. Through cunning, speed, and strength alone, he killed nearly 300 of his foes before the remaining enemies detonated the failsafe nuclear device at the heart of the facility. The second occurred when Michael-226 detonated a nuclear device to prevent the spread of an alien infection (whose origin has not yet been determined) from the compound at which he was stationed along with 30 of his comrades. This coincidence in similarity of the deaths, paired with the already semi-popular catchphrase, has lead to a joke among Red Skull personnel that the only way to kill a Spartan 2 is to "nuke it from orbit."

- LAAT (light-armor assault tanks; "Little Reds"): The LAV-25 might seem like an antiquated model of war vehicle to most military experts, but the Skulls have always been fond of refitting older tech for modern use. They have been all too successful in most of their efforts, and this vehicle is no exception; it holds up well under small-arms fire and has been known to take glancing blows from anti-armor rounds as well as explosives, without failing. A direct hit from an average rocket carried by footsoldiers is the maximum damage that this tank has been known to absorb and still continue to function. The tank's main weapon is a 13 mm explosive round which punches through the armor of most infantry, which are what the tank is designed to eliminate. Using large, thick wheels instead of treads, the tank is able to move faster than its heavier counterparts, though sacrificing traction and climbing ability. These tanks are amphibious and may completely submerge without issue.

- HAAT (heavy-armor assault tanks; "Big Reds"):...

In progress...

Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 04:08 AM    Msg. 2 of 141       
what no comments yet?

i for 1 don't know the game limits or how much can be done with scrpinting for that matter,
but that story and campaign idea if that's truly original then hats off to you man.
the story has immersion qualitys for the reader to WANT to finish reading it.
how do you go about this with limited tag space on ce?
it just seems like it's going to be massive,although to sell a story heavy detail is required.

lmao just noticed my bad typo in scripting up there^^
sure you know what i ment ;)
Edited by ally on Mar 21, 2011 at 06:42 PM

Muscl3r

dont pray 4 easy lives...pray to be STRONGER MEN

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 04:17 AM    Msg. 3 of 141       
this seems very well thought out but the limited tag space could be a problem. You could make it a campaign of multiple sp's but then unlocking stuff wouldnt work. Unless you modded your own version of ce to make it work...

Alberto

Disillusioned by the internet. Getting a life..

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 04:37 AM    Msg. 4 of 141       
Multiple BSPs?

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 04:39 AM    Msg. 5 of 141       
yeah,i was thinking bsp switches aswell.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 04:40 AM    Msg. 6 of 141       
Tag space isn't so much of a worry at the moment. It is currently 112 MB, which is surprisingly low, even considering I am not too far in development.

And yes, multiple BSPs. The alternative is insanity.

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 07:20 AM    Msg. 7 of 141       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
Tag space isn't so much of a worry at the moment. It is currently 112 MB, which is surprisingly low, even considering I am not too far in development.

And yes, multiple BSPs. The alternative is insanity.

<3 TCK

Why haven't you posted you're beta download?

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 03:25 PM    Msg. 8 of 141       
Eh, I feel like the beta doesn't really have the same quality I'm going for. The missions are sloppy and unfinished, and it still uses control panels instead of the menu. I don't want to give people a bad impression of this.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 05:49 PM    Msg. 9 of 141       
Quote: --- Original message by: mastur cheef
you should release one to find bugs and glitches.

Well the only playable version at the moment is here: (no longer hosted) however it is extremely outdated. You don't even have air support yet, and you still use the control panels to begin missions. The hud messages are a bit messed up as well. The intro is the one part I do hope you enjoy, that is one thing that may stay the same for the most part (obvously some improvement is necessary. I will of course release a beta when a version is finished that encompasses all current plans.

Quote: --- Original message by: Juiceb0xhero
Is air support the only thing you can buy?

Yes at the moment, I may change the unlocking of weapons and vehicles to purchasing them.
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 24, 2011 at 08:54 AM
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 24, 2011 at 06:43 PM

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 06:37 PM    Msg. 10 of 141       
Most interesting idea. And actually, it's not a problem with tagspace much as you can spread the campaign over multiple maps the same way some games are on multiple CDs. Combined with multiple BSPs, this can make it work.

Carter 151

-Character design and Story editor-

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 07:03 PM    Msg. 11 of 141       
EPIC! If you need help with character design, I'd be more than glad to help.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 07:27 PM    Msg. 12 of 141       
Quote: --- Original message by: OpsY
Most interesting idea. And actually, it's not a problem with tagspace much as you can spread the campaign over multiple maps the same way some games are on multiple CDs. Combined with multiple BSPs, this can make it work.

I wish I could, however that's not an option because it needs to have the same globals all throughout. They contain information on unlocked items and purchases. Still, I don't believe size will be a problem.

Quote: --- Original message by: Carter 151
EPIC! If you need help with character design, I'd be more than glad to help.

Well thank you, I was planning to use mostly stock things, but it would be nice to have several unique characters. Do you have Xfire?

Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 21, 2011 at 07:28 PM
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 21, 2011 at 07:39 PM
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 21, 2011 at 07:40 PM

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 08:19 PM    Msg. 13 of 141       
Actually... you're right on that. I'm not sure tho. The game Does carry data between missions.. or does it? It's been a while since I played SP but does it not sometimes carry your weapon, ammo and such through? and through the UI Widget, there are lots of things that can be done thus I would believe there is indeed a way to carry on purchased stuff

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 09:32 PM    Msg. 14 of 141       
I don't believe it does. If so it would be a good feature to take advantage of. Test time!

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 09:56 PM    Msg. 15 of 141       
How far are you in scripts/menu widgets? I would give some instruction.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 10:48 PM    Msg. 16 of 141       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
How far are you in scripts/menu widgets? I would give some instruction.

Thank you, I'm fine for now.

Like I said, I've been modding for a while :P

Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 21, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Carter 151

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 03:57 PM    Msg. 17 of 141       
Yes, I do have an xfire-hardly use it as most of the time i'm not on my computer when posting on the forums.
I have a yahoo and a gmail acount. Um usually the team I'm working with just PMs me.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 04:01 PM    Msg. 18 of 141       
Yes, I do have an xfire-hardly use it as most of the time i'm not on my computer when posting on the forums.
I have a yahoo and a gmail acount. Um usually the team I'm working with just PMs me.

Alright, I'll PM you in a bit. Just finishing up some schoolwork for now.

Carter 151

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 12:56 PM    Msg. 19 of 141       
I played the beta. For a pre-beta it's pretty good.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 01:25 PM    Msg. 20 of 141       
I played the beta. For a pre-beta it's pretty good.

You think so? I always feel like it's poor, extremely lacking in most areas. But I'm glad you liked it, if you thought that was good you should love the next beta ;D

askmii77

Press Alt+F4 for confetti!

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 05:55 AM    Msg. 21 of 141       
TCK. You are by far the best script-er in the Halo CE Community.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 06:15 AM    Msg. 22 of 141       
Quote: --- Original message by: askmii77

:O well thank you! I don't know what else to say.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 08:52 AM    Msg. 23 of 141       
See, this is why I didn't post the beta at first :/ But sceny still convinced me to post it, I should have known he would :P

Just let it be known, the "beta" was made a long time ago and has basically nothing to do with the current game, or even my current skillset.
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Mar 24, 2011 at 08:57 AM

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 06:49 PM    Msg. 24 of 141       
Like I said, it was a while back. That version doesn't really reflect the campaign at all. Neither of those missions will be used, and the beginning has already been changed quite a bit.

Yes, a new beta should be released soon after I complete work on the team campaign I'm currently involved with.

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 11:15 PM    Msg. 25 of 141       
Quote: --- Original message by: askmii77

What about Gamma? He's known for scripting.

Yeah but it was a good beta. The AI were kind of dumb, but overall it was nice. Good job. I liked the cutscene at the beginning, I couldn't do that. By the way for those shells, were those just the scorpion firing effects?
Edited by Xoronatus on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM
Edited by Xoronatus on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 01:03 AM    Msg. 26 of 141       
Well thank you. IMO it was still bad :P but I'm glad you liked the feel.

No actually they are rockets, sped up about 3 times and with sniper contrails. If you look closely you can see the flame on the back and the model itself.

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 01:06 AM    Msg. 27 of 141       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
Well thank you. IMO it was still bad :P but I'm glad you liked the feel.

No actually they are rockets, sped up about 3 times and with sniper contrails. If you look closely you can see the flame on the back and the model itself.

So to make those you used a flag? Or are those actually invisible AI that shot those :P?

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 01:11 AM    Msg. 28 of 141       
Haha, I'm not that ghetto. I used flags.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 08:38 PM    Msg. 29 of 141       
Me_Ks is gone but for having done some work with him, he is an insane scripter.

but it's not the point, I will be looking forward for your next build, haven't tryed the others yet but i'd rather wait for some more actual stuff!

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 08:55 PM    Msg. 30 of 141       
Yeah same here, I can't wait to see some of my actual builds either, haha. I really am anticipating the opportunity to implement the things I've thought about changing, and there are quite a few changes from the original plan.

For now, I may make a WiP thread for the other campaign I'm working on with my team, and you'll hopefully all enjoy that while waiting for this ;)

It'll be released one level at a time. The story is a bit custom, however it fits right into the original... it's difficult to summarize, I'll go into detail in the wip.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 09:19 AM    Msg. 31 of 141       
At the moment I'm still working on a campaign with aMT (Sceny's team; the maps will be posted here when completed) and have not been working on this. But I do have a couple things if you want something to do until then :P

I'm posting a link to the original topic on ModHalo, if you want to see it. It's a bit different, the story is the same but the description has some changes. You might notice that the topic date says "July 19 2010" but that's only because that's when the whole idea for the story struck me. The campaign itself is nothing like what I thought it was going to be then.

http://www.modhalo.net/index.php?/topic/26106-the-red-skulls-a-free-roam-campaign/

Also, you might enjoy seeing some work I did when I was just joining the Halo community. It's mentioned in the topic I think; here is the map that I made which inspired me to make RS, just to improve on it. Yes I inspire myself. Problem, personality disorder diagnosis?

http://www.modhalo.net/index.php?/topic/25385-hollywood-knight-invasion-v2/

And actually, reading that old topic, I realize there is a reference to Red Skulls even then in the story description, lol.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 09:44 AM    Msg. 32 of 141       
Typing up a WiP thread for aMT's project as I type this :)

Carter 151

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 04:43 PM    Msg. 33 of 141       
I GOT IT DONE. sorta. at least i got a face.
will send via pm

rub3n

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 08:22 PM    Msg. 34 of 141       
OPSY u gotta tell me how to make sound tags plzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 07:47 PM    Msg. 35 of 141       
There is an important decision which I've been thinking about lately, and I require input from potential players.

Points, as discussed, are used to purchase air support (and I will most likely change the vehicle and weapon unlocking to purchasing with points).

The originally intended method was to allow missions to reward you with points. I eventually decided to the contrary as I became concerned that it may not output enough points overall with this method.

The second method, which is described in the original post of this thread, allows for a steady minute-based salary of points, which increases slowly as a result of mission completion. This seems reliable, but I have had my share of doubts surrounding it, as is true for all of my work.

The third option would be a kill-by-kill based points system, which would require more work from me but not so much that it would prevent me from doing so if it held the majority of votes.

The fourth option I had thought of seemed more closely related to an RPG feel (which I am hesitant about incorporating), where enemies drop glowing red skulls and you acquire them as a form of "money." I feel this may be a bit generic. I may end up simply placing red skulls hidden around the different locations, which unlock exclusive items and/or features.
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Apr 19, 2011 at 04:01 PM

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed August 12, 2020 3:07 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website