A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How do you use open sauce?

Author Topic: How do you use open sauce? (30 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 12:38 AM    Msg. 1 of 30       
I've downloaded the open sauce from here, but I open it and it has a bunch of files that I don't know what to do with. How do I use these?

Somone77

-Passive Helper-††††† http://somone77.net

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 02:27 AM    Msg. 2 of 30       
I can't recall what the 'open sauce' is coded in, however if you don't know what the files are, then I can tell you that you won't be able to do anything with them.

They aren't like normal Halo CE mapping, using graphical programs to create things extremely easily. Open Sauce is a pun of 'Open Source' which means released source code.

In short, if you don't know what they are, you won't be able to simply use them.

Lateksi

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 07:37 AM    Msg. 3 of 30       
Open sauce is meant for experienced Halo CE wizards like Someone77 said.

I recently made a topic where I asked how to simply change field of view, fix HUD and stuff ingame. If you only want to do that, here's your answer.

Go here: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?17758-OpenSauce-Halo-CE-SDK-Update-2-%28RC%29 Download that DLL file in the first post. Then rename it to d3d9.dll and put it in your Halo CE root directory, the one with haloce.exe and all. Press F7 ingame and youšll get a menu of things you can do.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 03:57 PM    Msg. 4 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Somone77
Open Sauce is a pun of 'Open Source' which means released source code.
It's not the actual source code, but rather something akin to an "extension" to the source code per se.

Somone77

-Passive Helper-††††† http://somone77.net

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 06:50 PM    Msg. 5 of 30       
Injected DLL's, meh, just technicalities

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 06:51 PM    Msg. 6 of 30       
You don't use Open Sauce, it uses you.

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 10:12 PM    Msg. 7 of 30       
It's funny because you're missing a file with a ridiculous name.
i've got a lovely bunch of corncobs.project_yellow

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 10:22 PM    Msg. 8 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
It's funny because you're missing a file with a ridiculous name.
i've got a lovely bunch of corncobs.project_yellow

He saved a tag via the Open Sauce guerilla old version. THis problem is easily remedied by creating a tag with that name in the directory. There will be a new version of Open Sauce out soon, however so don't worry too much either way.

Just say "new" tag and type the first letter of the type of tag you want while the tag drop down list is selected until you see the tag you want without having to search the box by hand...

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 02:19 AM    Msg. 9 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Lateksi
Open sauce is meant for experienced Halo CE wizards like Someone77 said.

I recently made a topic where I asked how to simply change field of view, fix HUD and stuff ingame. If you only want to do that, here's your answer.

Go here: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?17758-OpenSauce-Halo-CE-SDK-Update-2-%28RC%29 Download that DLL file in the first post. Then rename it to d3d9.dll and put it in your Halo CE root directory, the one with haloce.exe and all. Press F7 ingame and youšll get a menu of things you can do.

I tried loading the game with d3d9.dll, and this came up:

The program can't start because d3dx9_40.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to reinstall to get this working. So what do I do?

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 03:08 AM    Msg. 10 of 30       
What is the path to the folder where you put the d3d9.dll at?

kornman00

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 12:27 AM    Msg. 11 of 30       
The next release of OS is currently being worked on, so the binaries found in that thread's first post aren't supported anymore.

We're making sure that we have a user friendly MSI (installer) file for the next release which installs and creates all the necessary files and data needed for end users and modders.

OS use to be geared towards end users, but we've since shifted to targeting modders by giving *them* extra features that they can use in their maps which end users can enjoy.

While most people may associate Open Sauce with HaloCE, it's actually a project (or codebase rather) for dealing with all Blam-engine based games (eg, H2V, Stubbs, etc). So we don't just focus on extending the HaloCE engine and it's tools. We also focus on extending other engines, their tools and also coming up with our own programs as well (eg, for extracting tags).

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 12:47 AM    Msg. 12 of 30       
Wait what is Stubbs?

kornman00

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 01:27 AM    Msg. 13 of 30       
Stubbs the Zombie. An underrated game by a game studio whose founder (a Bungie co-founder) repeated history and sold them (the studio) out. Where Bungie was bought by MS, Wideload Games was bought by Disney. They're now forever in the clutches of a damn mouse.

Stubbs used a modified version of the Halo engine. However, while they released after Halo PC, it is my understand they could only license the original Bungie Halo codebase (thus bypassing any MS royalties). Because of that, the PC (and I think Mac) versions of the game have a very small set of PC configurations they work with. The publisher, Asyper Media, used some DRM tech with does the system requirements check. You CANNOT bypass this check. They should have at least let users say "try to play anyway".

(I own the game for all three platforms)

kornman00

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 01:49 AM    Msg. 14 of 30       
No promises, but tag extraction (for Halo1/2) should be usable in OpenSauceIDE's CacheViewer in the next few weeks (it's possible already, but there's no tested UI for it yet). A binary release won't be made available immediately however (since OS is still in development). However, anyone with visual studio could grab a copy of the codebase and compile OpenSauceIDE and use it at their own risk if they wanted.

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 10:07 AM    Msg. 15 of 30       
Will OpenSauce be ported to 1.09 in the future, or will the effort to do so be too much to handle?

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 10:44 AM    Msg. 16 of 30       
Just so I'm clear: If you compile a map with open sauce, only others with the open sauce d3d9.dll can play it? Or is it just more tools you can use to compile with?
ex. I use open sauce tool to compile a map with multi-team vehicles. Can normal users play the map? With multi-team vehicles?

Codebrain

/meme

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 12:45 PM    Msg. 17 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: sargejohnson
Will OpenSauce be ported to 1.09 in the future, or will the effort to do so be too much to handle?

OpenSauce has already been ported to version 1.09, and has been for a while.

Edit:

Just so I'm clear: If you compile a map with open sauce, only others with the open sauce d3d9.dll can play it? Or is it just more tools you can use to compile with?
ex. I use open sauce tool to compile a map with multi-team vehicles. Can normal users play the map? With multi-team vehicles?

Yes, people would need the OpenSauce dll file and the taggroups.map that you used for your map. To play this map with other people you would also need to use the OpenSauce dedicated server, or else your map would crash upon loading (since its trying to use stuff that doesn't exist). If they don't have OpenSauce, the server will deny them access to it (that or crash Halo, I cant remember what it did) and people would not be able to play your map.

A suggestion would be to if map makers are indeed using OpenSauce, please package alongside with your map the OpenSauce dll file, as well as the taggroups.map file. Also provide instructions saying that this two files are NECESSARY in order for your map to be run. Explain that the two files need to be in the Halo CE Root Directory, or else the map will crash upon load.
Edited by Codebrain on Mar 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 02:42 PM    Msg. 18 of 30       
Sooo, wait a moment I'm a bit confuddled here. So is this one: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?17758-OpenSauce-Halo-CE-SDK-Update-2-%28RC%29

the latest one? ported to 1.09? Because I've updated to 1.09 as soon as I installed on my comp like a year ago.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 02:56 PM    Msg. 19 of 30       
Thanks for the clarification, codebrain.
I'm also guessing that if you are using the OS dll, you can still join normal servers? And if you host a normal map with open sauce, that other's can't join you?

Codebrain

/meme

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 03:08 PM    Msg. 20 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: spartan314
Sooo, wait a moment I'm a bit confuddled here. So is this one: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?17758-OpenSauce-Halo-CE-SDK-Update-2-%28RC%29

the latest one? ported to 1.09? Because I've updated to 1.09 as soon as I installed on my comp like a year ago.

As Kornman said before, the download in the first post is outdated. You need to use a Mercurial/VisualHG client, (TortoiseHG is what I use) to download OpenSauce.

Thanks for the clarification, codebrain.
I'm also guessing that if you are using the OS dll, you can still join normal servers? And if you host a normal map with open sauce, that other's can't join you?

You can still join regular servers if you are using the OpenSauce dll. However, don't hold it against me when I said others couldnt join you if you hosted a map that used OpenSauce if they didnt have OpenSauce, I'm just assuming thats what it does.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 07:18 PM    Msg. 21 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Codebrain

You can still join regular servers if you are using the OpenSauce dll. However, don't hold it against me when I said others couldnt join you if you hosted a map that used OpenSauce if they didnt have OpenSauce, I'm just assuming thats what it does.

This is true, however only under certain circumstances. If you build with the build-cache-file-ex build method you will need open sauce to run those kinds of maps, hands down.

That's because when you build with that command you're telling it to create its own resource files, ie yourmap-name-loc, yourmap-name-sounds etc etc ie you're telling it to build a cache file for sharing tags. This is useful because if every multiplayer map in halo were built using this command they would all share these resource caches, effectively halving the total size of the maps.

The only other time you would need OS to be required for the map is if you used a global or a function that is a) only editable/callable when open sauce is installed, or b) only exists in Open Sauce, ie a custom script function like volume_test_players_team or whatever it's called.

If you add a check in open sauce (you can modify the f0-4 or whatever the last one was etc variables in OS but not in regular halo) you can make it so the Open sauce scripts never get executed, and therefore halo won't crash.

So basically, you the mapper have to take the responsibility upon yourself if they work or not.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 11:05 PM    Msg. 22 of 30       
Quote: So basically, you the mapper have to take the responsibility upon yourself if they work or not.

Hey, that's cool with us, I think. Well, almost cool with us. I still wouldn't want to use open sauce anytime soon, because of compatibility, this newer version of OS, and whatnot. But it sounds cool enough.

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 12:17 AM    Msg. 23 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Codebrain

As Kornman said before the download in the first post is outdated. You need to use a Mercuial/VisualHG client, (TortoiseHG is what I use) to download OpenSauce.

How do I do this?
Step by step please, I'm kinda slow on this programming stuff...

kornman00

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 12:43 AM    Msg. 24 of 30       
We're working on some various methods to make it so OS-based maps don't crash games not running OS. One example of a method we could do is have all OS maps be put into a "maps\yelo\" folder (whether or not we achieve this, is TBD).

Quote: --- Original message by: spartan314
How do I do this?
Step by step please, I'm kinda slow on this programming stuff...

I'll only go so far as to point you to the codebase: http://code.google.com/p/open-sauce/. If you don't know how to program, then you shouldn't be trying to deal with in-progress code.

EssexRay

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 04:01 AM    Msg. 25 of 30       
This is probably gonna make me sound stupid, but where can I find the 1.06 version of opensauce?

Please don't ask why I don't just update it.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 07:28 AM    Msg. 26 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: EssexRay
This is probably gonna make me sound stupid, but where can I find the 1.06 version of opensauce?

Please don't ask why I don't just update it.

Either you're a pirate or you're weird.

Just update and then get version changer. ;)

Ubergoober

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 07:48 AM    Msg. 27 of 30       
oh slappy the pirate, i miss u so :(

OHunterO

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 08:11 AM    Msg. 28 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: kornman00
Stubbs the Zombie. An underrated game by a game studio whose founder (a Bungie co-founder) repeated history and sold them (the studio) out. Where Bungie was bought by MS, Wideload Games was bought by Disney. They're now forever in the clutches of a damn mouse.

Stubbs used a modified version of the Halo engine. However, while they released after Halo PC, it is my understand they could only license the original Bungie Halo codebase (thus bypassing any MS royalties). Because of that, the PC (and I think Mac) versions of the game have a very small set of PC configurations they work with. The publisher, Asyper Media, used some DRM tech with does the system requirements check. You CANNOT bypass this check. They should have at least let users say "try to play anyway".

(I own the game for all three platforms)

I played that game with my mate YEARS ago, didn't realize it used Blam. It was an amazing and funny game :)

Spartan314

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 01:00 AM    Msg. 29 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ubergoober

Aye, I've got a few questions he could answer...

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 12:38 PM    Msg. 30 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: Ubergoober

Aye, I've got a few questions he could answer...

If it's about valhalla, then good luck. Will probably be a thousand years for him to possibly return.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 13, 2019 6:55 PM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website