A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »No one finishes anything on this site.

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev
Author Topic: No one finishes anything on this site. (67 messages, Page 2 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

iHalo

Modeling ::Royal Carribean's Oasis of the Seas::

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:21 AM    Msg. 36 of 67       
I've heard about and seen more new upcoming content in this thread, than I have seen in the forum for the past month...

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 01:30 AM    Msg. 37 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5

Just want to say one more thing: Something I noticed over my 3 year span of Halo modding, everyone starts off full of ideas and inspiration, but lacks the ability to create their visions. If they get around to learning how, they realize how hard it really is, and then it takes a long time for their skills to be up to par with what they envisioned. It's taken me 3 years to become a decent modeler, and I'm still not happy with my work, and I still have a long way to go. But the more people have to hone their skills, and practice, the less motivation and inspiration they have.

This is starting to happen to me. When I first came I thought of heaps of stuff then I started to learn, then after awhile, I could feel motivation and inspiration starting to slip away.

darknesssamurai

It started with a Mew card and now I have all this

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 01:46 AM    Msg. 38 of 67       
Essentially this is not entirely true. All you map makers and modders out there, this practice is a potential resume builder.

I'm a Game Design major and I've gotten attention to my resume for pointing out my many
projects and endeavors completed in CE.

The Animation, art, software, creation and everything else involved in the creation of tagsets and content in Halo is proof of skill.

Whether is biped creation, map modeling, sound sets or tag set creation,
Your projects, management, collaboration and game mods can be used for your goals
(Pending on your seeking job of course) But the point holds true.

AGLion

- Animator... suck it -

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 01:56 AM    Msg. 39 of 67       
Not going to bother reading ^^^ so if I'm saying something already said, deal with me.

This game is old, ancient in fact. We have the CryEngine 3 out, UDK is still better than ever, Source is awesome, all with stunning graphics and a plethora of options and opportunities to create an awesome weapon, vehicle, scenery, map, or entire game. What does this ~10 year old game have? Low graphics (for lack of a better term), limited tagspace, old and limited modding tools, and an annoying 'quality' cap.

Don't take me wrong, the graphics are crisp and clean, and the modding tools are truly great for any modding starter, but it's OLD. The great degree of what is possible with the UDK or Source engine makes Halo 1 look like a drunken 386.

Perhaps I'm making a wrong assumption, because people probably don't move onto UDK after abandoning some crappy box map they made with Halo 1. But either way, there are bigger and better things out there.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 03:06 AM    Msg. 40 of 67       
Gosh this thread is depressing..

Ubergoober

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 04:57 AM    Msg. 41 of 67       
what i dont understand is how people will get to a 90 or 95% completion point on their project and then decide to quit, makes no sense. y not just spend a hundred more hours on it, release it and make the 1000 hours youve already spent on it worth it? rather than having nothing to show for the thousand hours youve spent on ur map.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 06:42 AM    Msg. 42 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: Daniel
Quote: --- Original message by: Xoronatus

Quote: --- Original message by: ally
quote:
having high standards is good :)

We need people with high gameplay standards. There is too much poor content. If you're going to make a bloodgulch mod, don't make it 3 elites that stand in the middle of the map and stare at the ground and don't do anything. At least make it a balanced marines vs covenant battle or something.
Edited by Xoronatus on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:59 PM

High standards are not required to make an enjoyable map, just look at the succes of less inspired maps such as Extinction.

i remember a post from 1 of the guys who worked on that map...
and he said if he knew how popular the map would be then it would have been made better and more time put into it :).

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:05 PM    Msg. 43 of 67       
High standards is my downfall. According to many people I'm a good animator and some of my recent stuff I've shown them they say is fantastic, but all I can find are flaws flaws and more flaws.

I don't finish because I'm not happy with my work, my perfectionism brings me down. Still think "high standards" are good?

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 03:07 PM    Msg. 44 of 67       
Not perfect, no, but perfect to my eyes is something very hard to achieve.

I've tried giving myself deadlines as well, like I'm working on animating the weapons for CMT MPG4 and said "I'm going to release the tutorial map on my birthday so people can play around with and critique the animations!"

When was my birthday? Oh, April 6th earlier this month...only about 5 weapons are 'done' as well.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 03:52 PM    Msg. 45 of 67       
I can tell you that when I first started Halo modding, there was nothing more I wanted than to ride a blind wolf around in Halo.

what

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 04:26 PM    Msg. 46 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL
I can tell you that when I first started Halo modding, there was nothing more I wanted than to ride a blind wolf around in Halo.

what

What don't you understand. The Wolf thingy was cut from Halo

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 06:07 PM    Msg. 47 of 67       
I searched the maps and tags section, i could not find anything released by ihalo :(

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 06:19 PM    Msg. 48 of 67       
MeleeLite,

Ya, I can't find anything under meleelite either.
Or dj aero
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Apr 28, 2011 at 06:20 PM

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, AI, cutscenes, ui_widgets, animation.

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 10:14 PM    Msg. 49 of 67       
Just want to say one more thing: Something I noticed over my 3 year span of Halo modding, everyone starts off full of ideas and inspiration, but lacks the ability to create their visions. If they get around to learning how, they realize how hard it really is, and then it takes a long time for their skills to be up to par with what they envisioned.

I can see that. When I first began RS I had hardly scripted at all. Now, a full year later, I know all there is to know about my areas of interest (scripting, AI, UI widgets, overall gameplay development). The only difference is, finding out all of that just made it easier to accomplish what I wanted, so I'm still going. (Yes, I do have a huge ego and a superiority complex; why do you ask?)
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 11:06 PM    Msg. 50 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloIsAHorribleGane
an open source sandtrap classic would have been fine, let people do whatever the hell they want with it from there

Which in the end was all I wanted. Yet the people who I left in charge of the map did the exact opposite.

Spartan_094

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 11:20 PM    Msg. 51 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: CLS_GRUNT
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloIsAHorribleGane
an open source sandtrap classic would have been fine, let people do whatever the hell they want with it from there

Which in the end was all I wanted. Yet the people who I left in charge of the map did the exact opposite.

Don't look at me, I had nothing to do with that. All I had in charge was to change models and switch around to h3 retail stuff.

Though it shouldn't even take long at all to do a Classic sandtrap, only like a day or two to do so.

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, AI, cutscenes, ui_widgets, animation.

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 11:35 PM    Msg. 52 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: pablo
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
When I first began RS I had hardly scripted at all.

Runescape!??

Haha, Red Skulls.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 11:53 PM    Msg. 53 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL

what

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Blind_Wolf

iHalo

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 12:29 AM    Msg. 54 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1

MeleeLite,

Ya, I can't find anything under meleelite either.
Or dj aero
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Apr 28, 2011 at 06:20 PM

I don't make posts everday saing I'm releasing stuff...

The wasp is not finished, but I stated if you wnat as is, just Xfire me, and give me credit. And have fun putting a 2 million poly model into CE.

and Guardian isn't finished. In fact I just started. I still need permission.

So don't make a post like this, what have you released Qwerty?

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?search=XlzQwerty1&B1=Search

Oh yea.. Nothing.

iHalo

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 03:28 PM    Msg. 55 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: pablo
You're searching for the wrong thing.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?search=evilkevin1&B1=Search

Props to Machinima. Content, nothing custom.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 03:40 PM    Msg. 56 of 67       
The Machinima is Dennis's

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 05:05 PM    Msg. 57 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
High standards is my downfall. According to many people I'm a good animator and some of my recent stuff I've shown them they say is fantastic, but all I can find are flaws flaws and more flaws.

I don't finish because I'm not happy with my work, my perfectionism brings me down. Still think "high standards" are good?

yip i still think having "high standards" is good,if you as an animator didn't have high standards,your animations wouldn't run as smooth as you want them to.and if you had basic ( that will do it) standards you would not have gotten much better than when you started on this choice of work.
i tried a bit of animation a while ago and it's something i might take up again at some point,untill then i will continue to model,for me i still have a lot to learn.
there aren't very many good animators around,so keep up the good work.

Noble

"Well if it isn't the big cheese!"

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 05:16 PM    Msg. 58 of 67       
Quote: So don't make a post like this, what have you released Qwerty?

Why make a thread like this if you haven't released much lately? =/

LMT Heretic

There are mysteries, that should remain hidden...

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 05:24 PM    Msg. 59 of 67       
good point ,but maybe he dont have nothing fully working as to release it as he says the wasp is not complete and he just started the guardian map but he shouldn't criticize the others if he do the same

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 05:43 PM    Msg. 60 of 67       
Well personally, I actually plan on getting a job in the video game industry. I don't watch anime though; hate it. But I agree with OP, I love all the stuff people, show, but it's never released. Why? I don't know....

Like the others said I guess, people lose interest and life catches up with em'.

TehArtyom

:)

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 05:44 PM    Msg. 61 of 67       
Because most of them have lives to get to.

Mythril
-
Screenshot Guru
-

Jeffrey Albert Waldo

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 08:47 PM    Msg. 62 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
Not perfect, no, but perfect to my eyes is something very hard to achieve.

I've tried giving myself deadlines as well, like I'm working on animating the weapons for CMT MPG4 and said "I'm going to release the tutorial map on my birthday so people can play around with and critique the animations!"

When was my birthday? Oh, April 6th earlier this month...only about 5 weapons are 'done' as well.

<did exact same thing.
2 months overdue so far :(

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 10:08 AM    Msg. 63 of 67       
Lack of motivation from Duce (or anyone really) was part of it too, though I guess that ties in with "I'm going to make this deadline I set myself."

Ubergoober

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 12:50 PM    Msg. 64 of 67       
mythril, if u finish this month ill send u cake!!

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 04:02 PM    Msg. 65 of 67       
I'm to lazy to finish

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: May 1, 2011 04:07 AM    Msg. 66 of 67       
Setting deadlines for yourself doesn't work because you know if you miss the deadline nothing will happen to you :P

spartin115

Posted: May 2, 2011 05:13 AM    Msg. 67 of 67       

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu May 28, 2020 7:49 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website