A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »how do you steal?

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next
Author Topic: how do you steal? (149 messages, Page 1 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

heempy

Posted: May 1, 2011 04:20 PM    Msg. 1 of 149       
how do you un-protect a map?

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: May 1, 2011 04:33 PM    Msg. 2 of 149       
Magical hacks form ouuutteerrr spaaaaace

ethernal lightning

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: May 1, 2011 04:38 PM    Msg. 3 of 149       
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5601

Eternal lightning, I won't tell you how to use it though, as it's best to respect the map creator's wishes of the tags not going public.

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: May 1, 2011 04:42 PM    Msg. 4 of 149       
That's such a stupid app. A simple hex edit does the same thing...

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: May 1, 2011 04:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 149       
... :(

i should respect to but.. i want it, and i dont know how to Magicly hak from OUTERSPACE

so... wanna tell me how to use it? everything will be respectfully used... in a not cruddy map
.. i hope heempy has a not cruddy map
Edited by spiral on May 1, 2011 at 04:45 PM

SlappyThePirate

Posted: May 1, 2011 04:59 PM    Msg. 6 of 149       
Follow the instructions on it, I think.
Eternal lightning doesn't even do its job well. You have to guess what tag out of a list is the one you want, and you'll have to rename all the child tags that it needs.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: May 1, 2011 06:17 PM    Msg. 7 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: d4rfnader

Eternal lightning, I won't tell you how to use it though, as it's best to respect the map creator's wishes of the tags not going public.

1. Use it on your map
2. Open in HEK+
3. Check the checkbox under Rec
4. Extract the Scenario file
5. Open it up and find what you want
6. Note down the name of whatever you want
7. Delete all the tags you just extracted
8. Open HEK+ Up again and look for the name of what you wanted
9. Extract and Rename and stuff
10. ???
11. Winning

milkkookie

:)

Posted: May 1, 2011 06:58 PM    Msg. 8 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

1. Use it on your map
2. Open in HEK+
10. ???
11. profit

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 1, 2011 07:12 PM    Msg. 9 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: milkkookie

1. Use it on your map
2. Open in HEK+
10. ???
11. profit

No thats illegal

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 1, 2011 07:26 PM    Msg. 10 of 149       
11. Winning

Winning what?

The proof that you're a disrespectful prick who can't respect an artist's choice to keep his assets out of your hands?

Well congrats!

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: May 1, 2011 08:00 PM    Msg. 11 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL
11. Winning

Winning what?

The proof that you're a disrespectful prick who can't respect an artist's choice to keep his assets out of your hands?

Well congrats!

Bi Winning!

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 1, 2011 08:07 PM    Msg. 12 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: heempy
how do you steal?

you don't

Quote: --- Original message by: heempy
how do you un-protect a map?

you also don't

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: May 1, 2011 08:24 PM    Msg. 13 of 149       
11. Winning

Winning what?

Well congrats!

Quote: --- Original message by: Jahrain
Open sourcing is the best way to go in a development community. Your not only proving goodies for the unknown players that you may never know about, you creating something that your fellow developers can enjoy just as much. In order to maintain a friendly and productive modding community, its best to open source things that your fellow modders can enjoy and in return others will open source something that you have always wanted. It speeds up the development for others and allows them to focus on other tasks to create a better end result. Those are just the basis of evolution. Some times we think that open sourcing something can have a slight negative impact if a wild group of noobs gather and miss-uses or over uses something open sourced and just forget about the amount of positivity that can be created but with held by a fear of noobies, which I happen to call 'Noobaphobia', and it brings down a development community or keeps it from progressing in some way. Most of the top modding supported games out there are forced-open-source such as unreal and hl2. So theres no need to worry about persuading people to open source what they did and thats what links these games to being at the top of the modding food chain. I strongly encourage anyone who uses these tags to see my views in why you should support the open sourcing of tags and information in Halo CE. If you dont see any point in open sourcing becuase you think theres nothing to gain back in return or fear of not getting credit or something then put it this way. Who would you rather gain recognition from? A bunch of random fan boys who like to play your stuff of a bunch of fellow developers who appreciate what you have done for them. Also i should add, don't look at others work as competition with what your working on. Look at it as inspiration to make your work even better just how artists look at paintings from others to inspire them to create something even better.

Been diagnosted by your doctor with Noobaphobia? Theres a cure. Look at the situation and consider all the negative affects that you think just may accur and ask yourself. "would this ruin my life if it happened?","Would this completely ruin the lifes of others I care for?","Do i see any point to continue living if this ever occured?" If answered No to these questions then you should be cured of Noobaphobia ;)

XlzQwerty1

Posted: May 1, 2011 09:12 PM    Msg. 14 of 149       
AWw man, why did Jahrain leave anyways.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 1, 2011 09:19 PM    Msg. 15 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
I can't make an argument myself so I'm going to quote jahrain

Thank you for that?

I didn't say I was against open source, if you paid any attention at all you'd know I was all for releasing every asset I make, and have permission to release. Unlike most of the people in this community though, I care whether someone decided to keep their assets closed source.

It's their choice to protect their work, you can either show respect to them, or be a disrespectful baddy and steal their work when you know that's not what they wanted.

~

Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
AWw man, why did Jahrain leave anyways.

college

iirc
Edited by SeL on May 1, 2011 at 09:20 PM

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: May 1, 2011 09:52 PM    Msg. 16 of 149       
I wish I could have met that guy. He was a good role-model back when I first started.

Edited by DarkHalo003 on May 1, 2011 at 09:52 PM

Echo77

Posted: May 1, 2011 10:01 PM    Msg. 17 of 149       

I didn't say I was against open source

And I didn't say you were. It was a simple comment on the current topic of discussion.
Edited by Echo77 on May 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 1, 2011 10:23 PM    Msg. 18 of 149       

I didn't say I was against open source

And I didn't say you were. It was a simple comment on the current topic of discussion.
Edited by Echo77 on May 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Yeah I'm sorry I expected you to know of the behavior and opinions of one of the most well known veteran mappers here.

Echo77

Posted: May 1, 2011 10:51 PM    Msg. 19 of 149       
Yeah I'm sorry I expected you to know of the behavior and opinions of one of the most well known veteran mappers here.

I thought Jahrain left?

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: May 1, 2011 11:24 PM    Msg. 20 of 149       
Inb4Dennis; Technically no matter how much you protect your map, it's Bungie's property once you use it in Blam (Halo's game engine).

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: May 1, 2011 11:42 PM    Msg. 21 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: chrisk123999
Inb4Dennis;
It doesn't matter what I say people will argue ad-infinitum. Most people here can't fully understand the issue in it's entirety and I say that with no disrespect. It is a complex issue, user created assets for copyrighted material, and I had to confer with a law firm to understand it myself. Bottom line: You don't own these toys: the copyright holder just lets you play with them. You can't own or have any rights to anything made for or from the game.

Corvette19

Posted: May 1, 2011 11:58 PM    Msg. 22 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: chrisk123999
Inb4Dennis;
It doesn't matter what I say people will argue ad-infinitum. Most people here can't fully understand the issue in it's entirety and I say that with no disrespect. It is a complex issue, user created assets for copyrighted material, and I had to confer with a law firm to understand it myself. Bottom line: You don't own these toys: the copyright holder just lets you play with them. You can't own or have any rights to anything made for or from the game.

Whoever did that is a genius. If we could actually own any of these tags we made lets just say things would be a MESS.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 2, 2011 01:26 AM    Msg. 23 of 149       
why would you want to steal? Didn't anyone tell you stealing gets you into trouble?

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:10 AM    Msg. 24 of 149       
You can't own or have any rights to anything made for or from the game.

lol

The interpretation of a very, very, vague clause by one law firm is hardly a basis for that claim. If Bungie tried to get away with saying they owned other people's work and won, all it would prove is that your American legal system is a joke, but we already knew that so !

The legal perspective is totally irrelevant either way though. You know who the authors are, and you know they didn't want their assets used anywhere they didn't want it used, you can either respect that or show how pathetically low you can go by trying desperately to use their work in ways you know full well they didn't want it to be used.
Edited by SeL on May 2, 2011 at 03:14 AM

antiblood

Hail satan, smoke mehth

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:37 AM    Msg. 25 of 149       
stealings fun :D

just ask the map maker and you may get the tags.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:39 AM    Msg. 26 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: antiblood
just ask the map maker and you may get the tags.

^^
Best way to go.

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:06 AM    Msg. 27 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: spartan314
why would you want to steal? Didn't anyone tell you stealing gets you into trouble?

yeah, well, I sure hope you if you have 3ds max and photoshop they're a valid copy

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:20 AM    Msg. 28 of 149       

Not in CE once you import them into the Game, they are no longer yours. Read the EULA.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:27 AM    Msg. 29 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117

Not in CE once you import them into the Game, they are no longer yours. Read the EULA.

sorry I can't find the part of it that says WE OWN YOUR WORK in there.

also haha and what about ripped assets hmm? Oh I compiled CoD's models in halo therefore bungie owns them, sorry, no.
Edited by SeL on May 2, 2011 at 04:43 AM

Petera275

Some things just don't work...

Posted: May 2, 2011 08:21 AM    Msg. 30 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
11. Winning

Winning what?

Well congrats!

Bi Winning!

Lol, Charlie Sheen FTW. Lighten up SeL, it's a joke.
Edited by Petera275 on May 2, 2011 at 08:21 AM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:19 PM    Msg. 31 of 149       

You can't own or have any rights to anything made for or from the game.

lol

The interpretation of a very, very, vague clause by one law firm is hardly a basis for that claim. If Bungie tried to get away with saying they owned other people's work and won, all it would prove is that your American legal system is a joke, but we already knew that so !
I knew people wouldn't understand and try to argue. The simple fact of copyright law is that since you don't have legal ownership of the intellectual property for the Halo Game or franchise you therefore have no legal right to copyright anything made that is a derivative of that game such as maps, models, game assets that resemble or are used in the game. You can possess it but you have no legal right to ownership which is defined as being able to copyright it. Disposition of user created assets to copyrighted material is at the mercy or largess of the copyright holder. They, the copyright holder, have the option to allow or disallow a sale and/or distribution of those products. In the case of Bungie they remain silent and allow distribution but do not allow sale or any profit as per the MS content usage policy. In the case of Valve they allow sale or donation receipt ONLY through their system however they still retain the copyright to the material such as with the TF2 store. Other companies do not allow sale or distribution of any kind. They can't stop you from making them but they can stop you from doing anything with them which is a clear indication that you don't own them. Ownership and possession are two very different things.

The "vague clause by one law firm", a firm that specializes in copyright law for such corporations as SPX and Emerson so sort of knows what they are talking about, was an oversimplification of a 30 page report so that it would fit into the limited attention span of the 140 character twitter generation. The issue of copyright alone much less with user created content and end user license agreements is very complex.
The legal perspective is totally irrelevant either way though.
The legal perspective is the ONLY thing that is relevant since it is the rules we must play by.
you can either respect that or show how pathetically low you can go by trying desperately to use their work in ways you know full well they didn't want it to be used.
That is what copyright law is all about the protection of original ideas. You can't protect what isn't yours to begin with. If you don't have rights to the original content your map was derived from then you can't protect it. Even in your country, Canada I believe, the copyright laws are pretty much the same, one of the companies I worked for had a division in Ontario and the copyright process was pretty much that same in the projects I worked on. Besides there are international agreements on copyrights.

The argument you are making is that "I don't want anyone else to play with my toys". However the toys aren't yours they belong to the schoolyard so you can't take them home or call the teacher to get them back.

Don't believe me: then copyright one of your maps.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:27 PM    Msg. 32 of 149       

Don't believe me: then copyright one of your maps.

You just gave me an intense idea.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:37 PM    Msg. 33 of 149       
Seriously, Sel? You think that map makers should have a right to let people play with their tags, but not use them?
Someone said that the best way to protect the map is to not release it. That statement makes the most sense, and most of all, it's true, because of ripping tools nowadays.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:41 PM    Msg. 34 of 149       
I say people should blind rip; because you dont get all the tags and you learn alot about tags in geurilla

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:50 PM    Msg. 35 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Seriously, Sel? You think that map makers should have a right to let people play with their tags, but not use them?
Someone said that the best way to protect the map is to not release it. That statement makes the most sense, and most of all, it's true, because of ripping tools nowadays.

When you don't release it, then you get all these people whining in the forums that nothing is ever released
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=37414

For the most part, I would rather have people come and get things from me, as when I release anything, people for some reason can never understand how the scripts work along side the tags, So its much easier for me to explain to them what they need when giving it to them rather than them spamming up the forums asking why things don't work, which just end up confusing a decent amount of people who don't understand how my setups are in the first place, which then my chance I may notice them whining, and have to make posts on the matter rather than IM'ing them asking what they do not understand, etc, in time conserving fasion.

Of course, most peoples things they make are just tags that work when directly placed in a map lol, but its still polite to ask them even if you can figure it out on your own, as they might give you more backstory, and help you learn to make your own items have what ever feature your stealing it for.

Also, guide to stealing:
1) Become a pirate.
2) Learn to ARRRRRR.
3) Learn to hotwire cars and break into buildings
4) Get pirate ship and parrot.
5) Take loot onto pirate ship.
6) Murder Navy pursuers.
7) Stealing complete.

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun March 29, 2020 8:13 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website