A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »how do you steal?

Page 2 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: how do you steal? (149 messages, Page 2 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 2, 2011 03:57 PM    Msg. 36 of 149       
For #3.
You do not have to hotwire cars.
I recently lost my truck keys, i phoned my local Dodge dealer and asked what i could do, as i had no spare. The guy at the dealership said he could cut me new keys for $15 canadian each.
I told him that i had no keys at all, he asked me to read him the s/n number from my windshield.
I did, he then said i could pick up the keys in 30 mins.
I asked if he needed my name or any details, he said no, i picked up my keys shortly after.
:)

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:00 PM    Msg. 37 of 149       
IMO if the map is protected, respect that and move on. If you need the tags so much, just go and ask the creator for them or how he made them. It never hurts to learn or ask, and you have a better chance of getting the tags that way.

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:24 PM    Msg. 38 of 149       
Grunts, It almost looks like you were the one for the whole protecting thing, Higuy looks like he doesn't give a crap about it either way.
Edited by UBE Chief on May 2, 2011 at 04:25 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:25 PM    Msg. 39 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Daniel
ASP Grunts please refrain from clogging forum topics with needless meaningless "evidence" to support your claim. Evidence that can not be trusted to be reliable due to it's nature.

^^^

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:26 PM    Msg. 40 of 149       
Good luck asking CAD for tags.
I have no reason to hoarde tags... what If I die tomorrow?

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:28 PM    Msg. 41 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Seriously, Sel? You think that map makers should have a right to let people play with their tags, but not use them?
Someone said that the best way to protect the map is to not release it. That statement makes the most sense, and most of all, it's true, because of ripping tools nowadays.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
The argument you are making is that "I don't want anyone else to play with my toys". However the toys aren't yours they belong to the schoolyard so you can't take them home or call the teacher to get them back.

what

I've released every halo asset I've made, or had permission to release, and I'm entirely for open source so I have no idea where you're trying to go with this.. I just seem to have one thing that most of this community lacks. Respect for other artists, if they choose to prevent random people from using their assets, that is their decision.

I don't care about what your pathetic American legal system says, regardless of what it decides is right or wrong here. Seems your lawyers can "interpret" just about any law to mean exactly what they want anyway, so if you're going to just hand your system credibility, be my guest, but I really could care less. This is a matter of morals, not laws.
Edited by SeL on May 2, 2011 at 04:30 PM

UBE Chief

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:37 PM    Msg. 42 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL

pathetic American legal system
Now that was uncalled for :|

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:39 PM    Msg. 43 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: ASP GRUNTS
Now stfu and stop trying to act like Dennis.

Dude, he is Dennis lol...

UBE Chief

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:41 PM    Msg. 44 of 149       
Nah, I think he's just a poser who wants to be like Dennis. Either that, or an butt-kisser.

Watch, now he's going to tell me off...

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:44 PM    Msg. 45 of 149       
Yeah, because he's Dennis, or a relative to Dennis.

Petera275

Some things just don't work...

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:49 PM    Msg. 46 of 149       
He's not Dennis, guys. His entire profile takes the mickey out of Dennis, avatar quote included. Also, he tries to act like a mod with no mod priveleges = fail. He's a wannabe Dennis, and has been contradicted by Dennis too, I believe.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: May 2, 2011 04:57 PM    Msg. 47 of 149       
Seriously, Sel? You think that map makers should have a right to let people play with their tags, but not use them?

Yes. He does. And it's very reasonable.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: May 2, 2011 05:01 PM    Msg. 48 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood

No offense, but don't make me look bad by leaving out the second half of my post.

Sprinkle

Posted: May 2, 2011 05:40 PM    Msg. 49 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

Don't believe me: then copyright one of your maps.

You just gave me an intense idea.

...and it'll go no where cause your a bad developer with no time management and just keep making bad decision after bad decision, just quit now before you disappoint yourself.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 2, 2011 05:53 PM    Msg. 50 of 149       

Pretty much this

It's THEIR work, if they don't want YOU to use it, then who are you to decide otherwise.

Pepzee

Posted: May 2, 2011 06:09 PM    Msg. 51 of 149       
I remember Dennis once stated that he wanted to make a map unprotecter app just to stop the fighting. I support that idea.

But seriously guys, it's just a game. If you don't want your tags ripped, use the classic Halo tagset. There's nothing wrong with it.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: May 2, 2011 06:12 PM    Msg. 52 of 149       
It's like you guys are trying to prove you don't have the ability to respect other artist's decisions.

gg

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 2, 2011 06:36 PM    Msg. 53 of 149       
It's like you guys are trying to prove you don't have the ability to respect other artist's decisions.

gg

We don't. Get over it.

That will get you no where in life.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: May 2, 2011 06:40 PM    Msg. 54 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

gg

We don't. Get over it.

It's supposed to get us somewhere in life? It's a game, stop protecting your tags, they'll be unprotected eventually.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 2, 2011 06:42 PM    Msg. 55 of 149       

gg

We don't. Get over it.

It's supposed to get us somewhere in life? It's a game, stop protecting your tags, they'll be unprotected eventually.

No, a little thing called RESPECT does.

I don't protect my tags becuase it starts crap like this, but at least I can respect other peoples wish's of doing so.
Edited by Higuy on May 2, 2011 at 06:44 PM

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: May 2, 2011 06:44 PM    Msg. 56 of 149       
Hey guys don't watermark your art someone will remove it anyway.
Hey guys don't try to protect your software someone will crack it anyway.
Hey guys don't bother putting your name on something you did someone will copy it and take your name off it anyway.

This community ~

SlappyThePirate

Posted: May 2, 2011 06:45 PM    Msg. 57 of 149       
Haters gonna hate?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 2, 2011 07:31 PM    Msg. 58 of 149       

gg

We don't. Get over it.

I know who to pay respect to. It's not you or Sel. Or any MAPPER. Why should I care about them? They are no one. No one who can affect me. No one who determines if I'll get somewhere in life. So you're wrong.
Edited by ASP GRUNTS on May 2, 2011 at 07:26 PM

And thats being arrogant, which is another way not to get to far in life! Did your mother not teach you manners or something?

anonymous_2009

Posted: May 2, 2011 07:53 PM    Msg. 59 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: heempy
how do you un-protect a map?

you know what you do, be respectful and contact the auther of the map and ask them for permission.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 2, 2011 08:06 PM    Msg. 60 of 149       

Don't worry Higuy. You don't know me in RL. I'll get farther than any game developer. This forum, modacity, or anyone else in ANY gaming forum won't affect me. You don't matter to me. Nor does anyone else in halo. If you honestly think disrespecting YOU will affect me in RL, then I'm astonished by your self-centeredness.

Edit: Hey Daniel, guess what. HIGUY'S DOING THE SAME THING TO ME! C= You're bad at pretending to be Dennis. Now stfu.
Edited by ASP GRUNTS on May 2, 2011 at 07:41 PM

You are honestly becoming pathetic.

Its obvious that you can't show any form of kindness or respect to people you don't know you'd do the same in real life. I'm not talking about in this little community we have, but rather actual life and how respect gets you farther in life.

Its also another thing when almost all the more experienced veterans are saying almost the same exact thing and your disagreeing. I'm pretty sure that means something too

032 Mendicant Bias

Magnum periculum est elit.

Posted: May 2, 2011 08:10 PM    Msg. 61 of 149       
I'm sure he's able to show kindness to people he doesn't know in real life. You can't say he's unable to because you don't know him at all IRL.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 2, 2011 08:19 PM    Msg. 62 of 149       
Higuy, you are the one who is pathetic. Honestly I show great respect to people in real life, to both people I know and don't know. Don't make assumptions about me in real life when you barely, BARELY know who I am on the internet. Don't do that.

How am I pathetic if your not even capable of using a decent attitude on the internet? I mean, if you apparently do it in real life, I don't see how it would kill you to do it on the internet?

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: May 2, 2011 08:28 PM    Msg. 63 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: Petera275
He's not Dennis, guys. His entire profile takes the mickey out of Dennis, avatar quote included.

wat
Edited by UnevenElefant5 on May 2, 2011 at 08:29 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 2, 2011 08:51 PM    Msg. 64 of 149       
pokes fun at.
makes fun of.
etc
Edited by Maniac1000 on May 2, 2011 at 08:52 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 2, 2011 08:53 PM    Msg. 65 of 149       
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Quote: --- Original message by: heempy
how do you un-protect a map?

you know what you do, be respectful and contact the author of the map and ask them for permission.

good post.
Edited by Maniac1000 on May 2, 2011 at 08:54 PM

anonymous_2009

Posted: May 2, 2011 09:43 PM    Msg. 66 of 149       
1. [20:31] The Painter: who defines decent.

As Higuy said, someone with more experience in that area. For example, your statement about the box map being fun to someone, which you say means that it's a decent map as some people enjoy it. That does NOT make it a decent map, it makes it a map which children who should not be playing the game like playing.

What makes a map decent, is the layout and gameplay aspects. Which can be judged by someone who has more experience in the level design aspect of this game. In terms of weapon placements and cover placement.

Then of course you would have other assets in the game which could be said are bad but other "children" think they are good, for example a 3d model. Someone could make a model which is 10,000 triangles for example, and is full off smoothing errors due to the triangles being placed wrong, and other problems such as poly distribution being all over the place.

But then a more EXPERIENCED member could make the exact same object but with half the triangles and no errors. This means the game can run at a much higher fps as there are less triangles and lighting to calculate.

2. Why protect maps?

There are MANY reasons like Higuy said. One for example could be for the simple fact that the author of the map may not want his/her tags used in any other maps. As they wish to have their map unique and only feature the content.

This cna be down to the fact that people may play that one map more then other random mods with the content in. Or because most maps are full of rip's which all have a different style, and do not go together, although in the author's map the assets may work perfectly and fit the style of the map.

Most maps with custom weapons/vehicles are just thrown together with no thought of weapon/vehicle placement. They usually have horrid BSP as well. True map design goes on experience and the prediction of how the players will act in the map, the idea is to have some control over where the player goes and in what order, there are many ways to do this - for example light placement. This is what makes a map fun.

3. [20:27] The Painter: il ask them for a tag.

That would not happen, as you have no manors, you are stuck up and arragont.

"I'll get farther than any game developer" - You will get no where, not with this attitude. You need to take a step back or look in the mirror. Learn some people skills.

4. Other reasons for protecting maps.

I suposse another reason to protect a map could be to encourage people to learn new skills, and to contribute to the community. If someone sees something cool in a map which they really like - for example a weapon - they may attempt to learn to make it them selves.

How does that help? Well, that means the community has gained another person who has skills to develope new tags and maps. Why should new people join the community and instantly have a bath of tags to pick from and stick in a bad mod? They should learn, which will result in a better BSP as well when they come to model their map.

-----------------------------------

At the end of the day it's called respect. Ask the author of the map if you may use the tags, politly. And if the author is a nice person (and mature) im sure you will get the tags.

If you just take them you will not gain any respect from anyone in the community, nor will you be trusted. It is their wishes respect that, and you will get somewhere in life.

Seems like most of this post is aimed at ASP_GRUNT's but it is not, only some. Just using most of the things which you have said as headers and subject starters.

I'm done for now.

anonymous_2009

Posted: May 2, 2011 09:58 PM    Msg. 67 of 149       
Quote: "I'll get farther than any game developer" - You will get no where, not with this attitude. You need to take a step back or look in the mirror. Learn some people skills.

Like I said, since you ignored my posts, I know who to respect. It doesn't include you, Higuy, or any other mapper here. Do not judge me, you don't know me. And if I chose to disrespect people who are important to my future, then yes, I would agree with you on me getting no where. However, if you were to meet me in real life, you wouldn't be recognizing me as a rude or insulting person. That's what counts. If how you acted on this forum counted, then sadly your future wouldn't be too bright either now would it?

However, as you haven't read my posts in response to Higuy, I know you or anyone in the CE community is not important to me.

If this is the case then, why are you here? Who do you need to respect then?

In-fact, who do you think you are?

And I'm nothing like you, you are just an utter d*ck, atm. As you know and there is plenty of proof of this, I only start to give people crap when they start to cry due to being given some crit.

You are generally an ass. One day you will learn.

anonymous_2009

Posted: May 2, 2011 10:09 PM    Msg. 68 of 149       
LOL
k.

WWLinkMasterX

subliminal message.

Posted: May 2, 2011 10:15 PM    Msg. 69 of 149       
-sigh- another one of these...

Stealing is illegal and immoral.

^ however the definition of stealing gets iffy when it comes to these issues as you're not actually taking anything away from anyone. If I could take an apple and replicate it a billion times, would I be thrown in jail for destroying the food market, or praised for ending world hunger?

If you want to unprotect a map, do what they told you in the first few posts. Though before you do, it doesn't hurt to ask the creator for the tags first. Besides, if they say yes then it'll be much easier. If not, rip away.

For those of you who think this is a moral issue, cute, keep telling yourself that. Morals are like gods, you can keep trying to get people to believe them, but you can't make them. Without laws to back them up (or vigilante "justice"), they're about as binding as opinions.

As for laws, legally, Bungie owns anything you put in their game with their programs. don't like it? Play a different game. "Artists," feel entitled to their creations, and maybe they should be, but legally they are not in this case. Sure it sucks, but that's how the world works. You know the guy who invented post-it notes? Of course you don't, because he worked for a glue company and was using company assets in the company lab, and his contract said (as do many others around the world) that anything he creates with the company's assets becomes the company's property.

This arguing doesn't accomplish anything, it happens every few months.

Rippers: People are allowed to, and will continue to, do whatever they can to protect 'their' stuff short of copyright. You can't change their minds.

Protectors: The only 100% method to protect your tags is to not release them. Besides, I don't see what the fuss is, you'll get a real life eventually and forget CE, leaving your work to rot forever so that no one can enjoy it. Also, understand that rippers will always try to get your work whether you like it or not. They're allowed to, and they don't have to conform to your own personal views of moral behavior. You can't change their minds.

The only thing you can do, is come up with new, better ways to protect your assets. However, the opposite side would just follow up with new, better ways of undoing that protection. It's a virtual arms race, and it won't end until CE's truly dead.

But in the long run, it doesn't matter.
Their are much more important things to be worried about in the world right now.
The legal authorities don't care.
Bungie doesn't care
Micro$oft (probably wants to make money off this somehow, but they can't so they) don't care.

No one with any actual authority on the matter really cares.

So get over yourselves and drop it.

anonymous_2009

Posted: May 2, 2011 10:22 PM    Msg. 70 of 149       
@ASP_GRUNT's - Your posts don't matter to me, you are nothing to me. :L

@Daniel - Who is to judge on experience? Well, simply the people who have years of experience in the subject. For example, 3d modelling, which is where there are many people in the community come in. For example BobTheGreatII, and I myself have 4 years + modelling experience.

So i'm sure there are many who agree with me here, that I know what I'm talking about. When it comes to something I have been doing for such a long time, and have been approched by SOOO many people to help them with modelling. Then of course I'm getting 100/100 on all modelling assignments at University, and teaching my own lecturer's afew things or two and considered the modelling god by all the other students.

So yeah, these kind of people are the people who are considered experienced. Then of course you have people who are experienced at level design, such as Higuy. If you examine some of his maps you will noticed that the layout is as such to make the map fun, and balanced.

Page 2 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu June 4, 2020 4:43 PM 296 ms.
A Halo Maps Website